• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drug Testing

Started by Radiotalker, July 02, 2014, 09:39:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KOJACK

I'm not saying the kid that Prescott lost wouldn't have got sent to prison if this wouldn't have happened, but he would have had a much better chance at being successful if he would've got to go play college football. There are some very successful people in the world that would've never graduated if they would've been kicked out of athletics.

cuckoobird

Sounds to me he was making bad decisions while at home, why would the decision making process be more simplistic when away from home ?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 12:34:34 pm
Someone was discussing oxymorons the other day. I dont speak asinineese has to be the number 1 example of all time.
I think then it would be asininease

Gotcha

That's just asinine.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 01:37:38 pm
Sounds to me he was making bad decisions while at home, why would the decision making process be more simplistic when away from home ?
i have seen many kids that sports changed and they went on to be college educated and good adults. throwing them back to the streets won't change any of them.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 01:49:30 pm
i have seen many kids that sports changed and they went on to be college educated and good adults. throwing them back to the streets won't change any of them.
I completely agree but wasn't he not already involved in sports? hince the testing in the first place

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 01:51:57 pm
I completely agree but wasn't he not already involved in sports? hince the testing in the first place
kids with no parenting at home make mistakes. some kids with good parents make mistakes. has your son ever smoked dope? if you say no, would you bet your life own it? testing them once a year is a joke f they know when its coming like the nfl.

Gotcha

i see what youre doing. Fishing with the old double negative trick. Lol

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 01:55:03 pm
kids with no parenting at home make mistakes. some kids with good parents make mistakes. has your son ever smoked dope? if you say no, would you bet your life own it? testing them once a year is a joke f they know when its coming like the nfl.
No I wouldn't bet my life on it. So, by testing once a year, shows he didn't care whether he passed or failed?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 02:01:13 pm
i see what youre doing. Fishing with the old double negative trick. Lol
you got me sentence structure Nazi   :'(

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
No I wouldn't bet my life on it. So, by testing once a year, shows he didn't care whether he passed or failed?
i'm saying if all the kids know you are testing in august no one will flunk.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 02:23:24 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
i'm saying if all the kids know you are testing in august no one will flunk.
Now I would bet my life on that not being true. There are plenty out there who wouldn't care. imho. Heck, the nfl still has failures and their paycheck is involved in the outcome

Jimbo Morphis

bad example on my part. most kids if they know when you are testing will pass. it doesn't take long to get weed or booze out of your urine.

Jimbo Morphis

do we test for weed when it's legal? what is the nfl going to do in denver?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 02:47:20 pm
good question, but, HGH is legal to use along with several over the counter medications that has been banned by MLB and the NFL

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 02:59:29 pm
good question, but, HGH is legal to use along with several over the counter medications that has been banned by MLB and the NFL
you've seen mcgehee's linemen. we don't have any hgh.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 03:04:24 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 02:59:29 pm
you've seen mcgehee's linemen. we don't have any hgh.
lol we don't here either

Gotcha

Im still holding my breath for a crackhead running back

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 03:08:45 pm
Im still holding my breath for a crackhead running back
saves money on mouth pieces.

cuckoobird

DogsWin7

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 03, 2014, 01:39:08 pm
Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 12:34:34 pm
Someone was discussing oxymorons the other day. I dont speak asinineese has to be the number 1 example of all time.
I think then it would be asininease

What's asininease?    Spell check on iPhone doesn't even recognize it. Lol!!  :)

Gotcha

Because its asinine.

DogsWin7

So is it just all post related or can it vary??  :)

whippersnapper

Mena got drug testing in the 2011 season. I remember the starting QB Austin Warren told me his name was called for a random one about week 7. He told the assistant principal all the school was doing was wasting time and money on him. Haha.
In all seriousness I am surprised the triple a doesn't make this mandatory somehow.

Jacketman65

Sad part is that some of the coaches out there probably know which kids are on the juice and yet do nothing about it.

Brian G

Violations galore here as I proofread this thread.

Among them are language and name calling.

Turn it down.

Drug testing has been around for about 12 years in some schools.  The real problem is the cost of the testing.  I'm glad to see it include other extracurricular activities.  It should include them.  I've seem testing that checked everyone once and then random tested the rest of the year.  I see some that just do random.  I know of some teachers that train/coach/teach other activities that have fought against having their group tested.

As with all things, it needs to be universal and consistent within the same district.  Test the stud RB, test the cheerleading captain and test the drum major if you're going to test.

Brian G

Another key is who handles the testing and if the process is transparent when it comes to randomness.

Big Fan

It seems the McGehee posters are against drug testing....hmmmm

DogsWin7

Quote from: B.G. on July 03, 2014, 09:56:03 pm
Another key is who handles the testing and if the process is transparent when it comes to randomness.

Good point.

DeeGee

Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 07:51:07 am
Quote from: DeeGoldie on July 03, 2014, 03:30:05 am
Glen Rose has had that policy for several years as well. Drug tested weekly during season and random testing during off season. If any of the athletes are on prescribe meds the parents have to bring in their current prescription bottle to the nurse or school resource officer.
hypathetically; if my child were to wake up with a pounding headache and earache at 2 am, and i gave him my perscription grade pain meds to get through the night, would he be suspended when tested the next day if i brought my perscription to the school?

Yes. Because if it's prescribed to you and not your child then it's not legal for your child to take a narcotic.

DeeGee

Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 10:42:46 am
Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 10:39:43 am
Obviously. You havent seen dangerous till youve seen a 17 year old roid raging while drunk on a 1/5 of boones farm.
i would bet you big money none of the football stars have ever had a random test. can any of you guys whose schools drug test give me an example of a football star being suspended?
GR had 2 players suspended from play last year because of fails drug test. We also have one suspended for the first 2 games of this coming season due to a failed drug test that was given 2 weeks before school was out. The question was also asked what do they test for: prescription drugs, illegal drugs, steroids and other illegal enhancers. I've know several schools, not mentioning names, that have athletes suspended but claimed it was due to injury. I worked part time as a school nurse. The nurse and the school officer are usually the ones who pull for random testing. The coaches have no choice in who gets tested.

Brian G

Only a very few things are tested for at most schools. 

Radiotalker

Quote from: DeeGoldie on July 04, 2014, 09:08:22 pm
Quote from: Oldman on July 03, 2014, 10:42:46 am
Quote from: Gotcha on July 03, 2014, 10:39:43 am
Obviously. You havent seen dangerous till youve seen a 17 year old roid raging while drunk on a 1/5 of boones farm.
i would bet you big money none of the football stars have ever had a random test. can any of you guys whose schools drug test give me an example of a football star being suspended?
GR had 2 players suspended from play last year because of fails drug test. We also have one suspended for the first 2 games of this coming season due to a failed drug test that was given 2 weeks before school was out. The question was also asked what do they test for: prescription drugs, illegal drugs, steroids and other illegal enhancers. I've know several schools, not mentioning names, that have athletes suspended but claimed it was due to injury. I worked part time as a school nurse. The nurse and the school officer are usually the ones who pull for random testing. The coaches have no choice in who gets tested.

Who cares what they test for, as a parent I would want to know if my kid tested positive for any of those.

sevenof400

Until high school drug testing adds steroid detection and involves all students, staff, faculty, administration, and school board members it is a misuse of authority and financial resources.

DogsWin7

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 01:48:22 pm
Until high school drug testing adds steroid detection and involves all students, staff, faculty, administration, and school board members it is a misuse of authority and financial resources.

Do you think Steroid use is more prevalent?

Are teachers, faculty and administrators not already required to submit to drug testing etc??   

sevenof400

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on July 05, 2014, 06:01:48 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2014, 01:48:22 pm

Do you think Steroid use is more prevalent?

Are teachers, faculty and administrators not already required to submit to drug testing etc??   

I'm not sure steroid use is more prevalent but I do believe it is the most dangerous drug/substance with respect to high school athletes.  Unfortunately, due to the high testing cost and hard to detect nature of steroids, most schools won't test for them so they are, in effect, turning a blind eye to those kids who magically bulk up immensely over a summer. 

With respect to your second question, teachers, faculty and administrators and board members cannot be randomly drug tested like students.  Typically, employees are drug tested at time of hire and then never again.  It is another appalling double standard that needs to end. 

DogsWin7

Good point and you bring up a valid concern....It looks like it would only be fair to have Board Members, Faculty and all staff and students to be tested as well.    My question then becomes why aren't they if some are requiring of it Athletes?   I understand cost and type of testing is a concern but as a parent I'd like to know.   

I do think drug testing is required of school bus drivers?  Isn't it? 

KOJACK

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on July 05, 2014, 08:42:36 pm
Good point and you bring up a valid concern....It looks like it would only be fair to have Board Members, Faculty and all staff and students to be tested as well.    My question then becomes why aren't they if some are requiring of it Athletes?   I understand cost and type of testing is a concern but as a parent I'd like to know.   

I do think drug testing is required of school bus drivers?  Isn't it?
Yes

OLDSCHOOL82

Anyone holding a cdl for the school are submitted to randoms.  I agree that it not a horrible idea for anyone on the payroll to be subject to randoms.  I don't see how you are going to require a non paid school board member be subjected to randoms though.  It's not that I like school boards either.  IMO I don't think non educators should be the ones making decisions about our schools.  Way to many people run for school boards due to a personal agenda.

KOJACK

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 05, 2014, 10:48:45 pm
Anyone holding a cdl for the school are submitted to randoms.  I agree that it not a horrible idea for anyone on the payroll to be subject to randoms.  I don't see how you are going to require a non paid school board member be subjected to randoms though.  It's not that I like school boards either.  IMO I don't think non educators should be the ones making decisions about our schools.  Way to many people run for school boards due to a personal agenda.
+1

Hootie

Quote from: B.G. on July 04, 2014, 09:33:39 pm

Intelligence is not one of them.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on July 04, 2014, 09:33:39 pm

Which is another part of the problem - once people hear a school is drug testing, the tendency is to think substance abuse problems will disappear. Most schools opt to test for a set of five commonly abused items (click here for more info) which fails to detect (among other things) steroid usage.

Drug testing is not cheap, and as currently conducted, interrupts instructional time. 

cuckoobird

Just a little FYI. Bus drivers are tested just because they have a CDL drivers license. It has nothing to do with school policy. All CDL drivers are tested randomly by the FMCSA or federal motor carrier safety administration.

OLDSCHOOL82

I'm proud of you cuckoo!  An actual factual statement!  Your growing up so fast.

cuckoobird

I give lots of facts. Its just that they happen to go against popular opinion and some folks cant stand it when you go against their opinion

Jacketman65

If a person has a CDL and fails a drug test, just what is the penalty?

HorseFeathers

cuckoobird

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Big Fan on July 03, 2014, 10:45:34 pm
lol. you don't know me at all. this or school uniforms and i can argue either side. i could care less if we drug test or not. but like most things everyone wants it but someone has to pay for it. most want if for roids and i would bet statewide in high school it doesn't even cover that.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on July 07, 2014, 09:35:50 am
Quote from: Big Fan on July 03, 2014, 10:45:34 pm
lol. you don't know me at all. this or school uniforms and i can argue either side. i could care less if we drug test or not. but like most things everyone wants it but someone has to pay for it. most want if for roids and i would bet statewide in high school it doesn't even cover that.
I love school unis. Man it saves money

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas