• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hootens

Started by Pastureboy21, June 23, 2014, 07:09:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pastureboy21

What are y'all's feelings on this years hootens magazine? For those who have already gotten one...

adaptedtigerfan

Haven't gotten one...  What are the rankings?

Radiotalker

pretty cool to see a Osceola kid on the cover.

AirWarren

It's still a good book. I have bought a copy since 2000. Some are gonna gripe about it and others will enjoy it and appreciate it like myself.

AirWarren

For my 3a folks

1. Booneville
2. Charleston
3. HA
4. Lamar
5. Glen rose
6. Smackover
7. Episcopal
8. Prescott
9. Rivercrest
10. Hoxie
11. Paris
12. Fordyce
13. Mayflower
14. McGehee
15. Barton
16. Lavaca
17. CHG
18. Mansfield
19. Atkins
20. Fouke

Personally think Smackover is way underrated.

WPWells

3 teams from the 3A-4 in the top 4...

7AFBFAN

Didn't I read that Smackover has a kid who ran a 4.35 at camp?

AirWarren

Probably the kid that committed to the hogs.

7AFBFAN

A kid with that kind of speed would be a great offensive weapon. Looking at last years success I would give Smackover a good look with a kid like that.

AirWarren

Smackover is loaded. There is also another stud on that team. Fast.

HorseFeathers

Hmm...me thinks I might watch some 3A-4 ball this year...Especially if all 3 of those teams pan out to be as good as Hootens thinks they will be.

crmorrow24

Glen Rose and Episcopal ahead of Prescott, what a joke!!!! They both come to Prescott this year.. No home cookin this year Glen Rose......

BUCK FEVER

Oh well........YOU just cant fix stupid.......Hootens was wrong about smackover last year also. ::)

cdelaney

Quote from: crmorrow24 on June 24, 2014, 04:41:06 am
Glen Rose and Episcopal ahead of Prescott, what a joke!!!! They both come to Prescott this year.. No home cookin this year Glen Rose......
[/quote
But did you notice they put Wolves 2nd in conference ahead of ECS. Don't know if that is a coach's poll?

crmorrow24

Quote from: cdelaney on June 24, 2014, 07:22:56 am
Quote from: crmorrow24 on June 24, 2014, 04:41:06 am
[/quote
But did you notice they put Wolves 2nd in conference ahead of ECS. Don't know if that is a coach's poll?
I would put Episcopal ahead of Glen Rose. 

Jimbo Morphis

mcgehee must not be playing in the hootens game this year. i promise you we will be better than 14th.

cdelaney

Quote from: AirWarren on June 23, 2014, 09:13:27 pm
For my 3a folks

1. Booneville
2. Charleston
3. HA
4. Lamar
5. Glen rose
6. Smackover
7. Episcopal
8. Prescott
9. Rivercrest
10. Hoxie
11. Paris
12. Fordyce
13. Mayflower
14. McGehee
15. Barton
16. Lavaca
17. CHG
18. Mansfield
19. Atkins
20. Fouke

Personally think Smackover is way underrated.
Based on what I saw last year, they are for sure. I would have them 3rd. And based on last year, Harding is way over rated. I am sure they will be solid, and their conference is down this year (Barton down, Mayflower same probably, ECS gone, Riverview gone) so they will probably be a one seed, but can't see them at the same level as Booneville, Charleston, and Smack. Seems like McGehee is too low, Lamar too high.
If Burton really has a complete ACL tear, Glen Rose maybe too high also? Don't really know much about the rest of their team, know they lost several starters but maybe they have enough to re-load?

-Painted Fan-

Smackover and Lamar are a year away, after Booneville and Charleston graduate half their teams next spring. The Bucks should be preseason #1 in 2015.

AirWarren

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on June 25, 2014, 05:40:50 am
Smackover and Lamar are a year away, after Booneville and Charleston graduate half their teams next spring. The Bucks should be preseason #1 in 2015.

Honestly don't think they are a year away. They will be right up there with Charleston and Booneville.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 25, 2014, 09:50:20 am

Honestly don't think they are a year away. They will be right up there with Charleston and Booneville.
you get that from reading hootens? i don't think smackover can beat either of these teams this year.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: Oldman on June 25, 2014, 10:04:44 am

you get that from reading hootens? i don't think smackover can beat either of these teams this year.

DANG, just when i was starting to enjoy this thread.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on June 25, 2014, 10:04:44 am

Nope. I keep up with Union County sports(born in Eldo and have family there) and they will have the size and speed to compete. Didn't say beat but they will be right up there with them.

Iron Owl

The top is loaded for sure.  It will be interesting playing from the bottom up.  I don't guess the target will be on our back starting out like it has the last several years.  Fordyce lost a lot, but will have a huge line.  Smackover should be the team to beat down here...

HeadBussa08

As much i hate to say it this early in the year before the season even starts. its most likely a two team race this year tween Booneville and Charleston. Glen Rose won't be very good. Smack will be alright but nothing special just like last year. McGehee will most likely beat em this year. Harding will be pretty descent as usual. Is there another Francis coming up as QB Harding fans? Lamar will have to prove to me they are a top 5 team.

jr17

Alex Francis was the starter last year as a sophomore. Smackover will probably be better than alright.

DeeGee

Glen Rose won't be very good? I'd have to say otherwise. Yes we lost several starters but gained several great players as well. Without Carlos maybe not as strong but one person don't make a team. Do I think Glen Rose will be a blow out team? No. But I don't think they should be underestimated. The boys coming from the Jr high team are pretty stout and have been proving themselves well. Some will probably even have starting positions since there are more JR's than SR's this year. Not real sure of Carlos' status at this moment but from what I understand it was not a complete tear. But I'll gladly update if I hear anything more definite.

HeadBussa08

I don't believe GR will be anywhere near the contender they have been the last two years. Lost allot of seniors the past two years and will be young and inexperienced this year. without the help of a Star veteran such as Burton i don't see them being very strong. still could probably get a 3 seed thou in the new conference. As far as Smackover is concerned they will be no more than an alright program until they win a big game. I will give them credit thou they do have some talent. but that same talent got mercy ruled in the semis last year when nobody thought it would happen...well anybody from smackover anyway.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: HeadBussa08 on June 28, 2014, 03:04:36 am
I don't believe GR will be anywhere near the contender they have been the last two years. Lost allot of seniors the past two years and will be young and inexperienced this year. without the help of a Star veteran such as Burton i don't see them being very strong. still could probably get a 3 seed thou in the new conference. As far as Smackover is concerned they will be no more than an alright program until they win a big game. I will give them credit thou they do have some talent. but that same talent got mercy ruled in the semis last year when nobody thought it would happen...well anybody from smackover anyway.

And I'am sure a heavy  down pour from start to finish had nothing to do with the outcome of that game.....smackovers offense only clicked with a good passing attack..you know that noone would have had any success with a passing attack in a steady down pour like smackover was faced with that night..........not making excuses, the best team won that game, GR had a veteran senior dominated team that  simply had the sophomore dominated bucks outmanned............with that said the score  would have been much closer in better playing conditions........you have tried every way possible to take a dump on  a young conference champion team that had a great 12-2 season.............seems you would be more concerned with Prescotts lackluster season.

KOJACK

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on June 28, 2014, 07:23:24 am

And I'am sure a heavy  down pour from start to finish had nothing to do with the outcome of that game.....smackovers offense only clicked with a good passing attack..you know that noone would have had any success with a passing attack in a steady down pour like smackover was faced with that night..........not making excuses, the best team won that game, GR had a veteran senior dominated team that  simply had the sophomore dominated bucks outmanned............with that said the score  would have been much closer in better playing conditions........you have tried every way possible to take a dump on  a young conference champion team that had a great 12-2 season.............seems you would be more concerned with Prescotts lackluster season.
We went to the quarterfinals in our "lackluster" season, but you are right it was disappointing. That's the difference in us. Y'all consider that a success. We both finished the season with the same thing...nothing

DeeGee

Every game of the playoffs was a down pour not just this game. That's why we had to use BHG's field for all but 1 playoff game. With the new turf field we won't have that issue this year. Can't just blame it on the rain. All the teams in playoffs had to play in the same conditions.

BUCK FEVER

June 28, 2014, 12:54:23 pm #30 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:57:21 pm by BUCK FEVER
Quote from: DeeGoldie on June 28, 2014, 11:16:24 am

Every game of the playoffs was a down pour not just this game. That's why we had to use BHG's field for all but 1 playoff game. With the new turf field we won't have that issue this year. Can't just blame it on the rain. All the teams in playoffs had to play in the same conditions.

I understand that, but a ground and pound run oriented offense such as GR was last year ..........vs........... an offense such as smackover that had to have the passing game to open up a running game is at a  disadvantage             in the conditions we played in...........and yes every week in the playoffs were wet, but on that particular night it was a a heavy steady rain for 4 qters, those conditions are not conducive for a team needing to make some strikes thur the air............the game situation was perfect for the GR ground and  pound offense...........in my opinion GR would have won a series with smack on a dry field, just saying they were not 30 points better.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: KOJACK on June 28, 2014, 08:51:36 am

We went to the quarterfinals in our "lackluster" season, but you are right it was disappointing. That's the difference in us. Y'all consider that a success. We both finished the season with the same thing...nothing

Wrong...... Prescott finished with nothing..........Smackover finish as conference champions.

Smackover                                                   successful season
conference championship
12-2 overall
6-1 conf
number 1 seed                                 

lackluster season
Prescott
6-6 overall
4-3 conf
number 5 seed

Footballfanatic14

The guy does have a point.. A conference championship is something to be proud of, and Smack did have a successful season despite coming up short in the playoffs.

DeeGee

June 28, 2014, 02:29:20 pm #33 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:35:36 pm by DeeGoldie
Quote from: BUCK FEVER on June 28, 2014, 12:54:23 pm
Quote from: DeeGoldie on June 28, 2014, 11:16:24 am

I understand that, but a ground and pound run oriented offense such as GR was last year ..........vs........... an offense such as smackover that had to have the passing game to open up a running game is at a  disadvantage             in the conditions we played in...........and yes every week in the playoffs were wet, but on that particular night it was a a heavy steady rain for 4 qters, those conditions are not conducive for a team needing to make some strikes thur the air............the game situation was perfect for the GR ground and  pound offense...........in my opinion GR would have won a series with smack on a dry field, just saying they were not 30 points better.

I agree and disagree. Charleston played in the same conditions on the same night and came out on top. They have more of a passing game than GR. They straight up kicked our butts with some rainy conditions. I agree not as bad of weather in the semis. We all could come up with a million reasons on a loss and brag about the wins. But in the end, it's the boys on the field overcoming the conditions and adjusting.

WPWells

Granted, Charleston won in those conditions in the semis too. Beat a ground and pound team (Earle)

DeeGee

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on June 28, 2014, 04:47:50 pm
Granted, Charleston won in those conditions in the semis too. Beat a ground and pound team (Earle)
That's what I was meaning. You all won the same night of semis, same conditions. Then kick our butts in some rain too.

-Painted Fan-

It rained in over half of the games last fall. It didn't stop Charleston from passing for more than 4,200 yards and 52 touchdowns.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on June 28, 2014, 04:47:50 pm

Charleston was head and shoulders above everyone else........when a team is that dominating you expect them to overcome any and all adverse conditions....congrats you guys left know doubt.

Gotcha

I hate to bring up old stuff; but did anyone notice a reference to a jv record in smackover's hootens article?.....i want to make a few points about the relevance of a jv record, but im not sure if FF will let me say puberty.

-Painted Fan-

No, but I did notice they had pics of every player on the roster. Must have sent in a pretty big check to Chad, Chris, Barry Groomes, and Jeff Hall.

-Painted Fan-

If Smackover's offense is so heavily pass-oriented, how did the Bucks only pass for 1,400 yards and 15 touchdowns in 14 games?
Charleston passed for over 1,700 yards and 23 touchdowns- just in the playoffs.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on June 29, 2014, 08:21:41 am
If Smackover's offense is so heavily pass-oriented, how did the Bucks only pass for 1,400 yards and 15 touchdowns in 14 games?
Charleston passed for over 1,700 yards and 23 touchdowns- just in the playoffs.

I think what i said was they needed the passing game to click to open up the run........................

-Painted Fan-

The Bucks have more pics (36) in this issue than any other team besides the Hogs.
Harrisburg was next with 34.
Bryant, FS Southside, and Springdale all have 30.

Hoghead

Watch out for Prescott !  They have some talent and could be sneaky good this year.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on June 29, 2014, 08:10:01 am
No, but I did notice they had pics of every player on the roster. Must have sent in a pretty big check to Chad, Chris, Barry Groomes, and Jeff Hall.

I really don't think money had anything to do with it....

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on June 29, 2014, 08:59:58 am
The Bucks have more pics (36) in this issue than any other team besides the Hogs.
Harrisburg was next with 34.
Bryant, FS Southside, and Springdale all have 30.

and your point ?

Gotcha

When you run from one formation, and throw from another, i doubt balance helps to decieve anyone. They know everything they need to know as soon as they see if the qb is in shotgun or under center.

WPWells

Money has everything to do with how much Hooten's prints about you actually

Footballfanatic14

I guess that explains why most of the 2A schools have half a paragraph about each of them..

Proud Buckaroo

Does anyone know if el dorado Walmart carries the book yet?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas