• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Arkansas basketball

Started by beach bum, November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 19, 2015, 11:54:13 pm
I think he recruits just fine. He has 3 of the top 5 jucos in the country coming in. If Monk isn't bought out, then that is a top 10 class next season and immediate threat. Those guys with what will come back will be a good team. MA couldn't possibly have expected what happened with Beard and Williams. Williams wasn't great on offense, but he played hard and was good in the system. All is not lost with this team. They can do some good things.

The NBA is what's wrong with college ball.  And what's wrong with themselves. The Pro game will be SO much better when the guys drafted can actually play and contribute.

He signed three good JUCO players. However, in college basketball signing that many JUCO players is usually a plan B option for coaches and done after you initially lost the recruiting battles on your primary targets, which he did. Malik Monk, Terrance Ferguson, Jaylen Fisher, DeRon Davis, and Tyler Cook were all primary targets and all decided to go elsewhere.

BrianfromCarlisle

No....those guys were already signed. You don't turn down 3 of top 4 jucos players. Especially when you KNOW they will be there for the 2 years. One and done is killing the game. He planned on Monk being there with those 3 guys

Lionheart88

Quote from: Romeo on December 20, 2015, 07:35:52 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2015, 09:10:47 am
Quote from: Romeo on December 19, 2015, 11:35:45 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on December 19, 2015, 09:23:42 pm
Mike had nothing to work with right now.

And that's on him. Recruiting is just not his strong point.
It's not really his fault some guys got themselves kicked off the team in the offseason.

There's only been one player dismissed from the team in five years that Anderson has been here.
Is Thomas still there?  I know Williams is gone.

chaoslord

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2015, 10:44:33 pm
Quote from: Romeo on December 20, 2015, 07:35:52 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2015, 09:10:47 am
Quote from: Romeo on December 19, 2015, 11:35:45 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on December 19, 2015, 09:23:42 pm
Mike had nothing to work with right now.

And that's on him. Recruiting is just not his strong point.
It's not really his fault some guys got themselves kicked off the team in the offseason.

There's only been one player dismissed from the team in five years that Anderson has been here.
Is Thomas still there?  I know Williams is gone.

Yeah, he's still part of the team, just has to sit out this year being a transfer.

Lionheart88

I thought he was leaving (voluntarily or otherwise) due to the counterfeiting scandal, and Beard was the only one staying.  My bad.

ricepig

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 21, 2015, 01:18:32 pm
I thought he was leaving (voluntarily or otherwise) due to the counterfeiting scandal, and Beard was the only one staying.  My bad.

Williams left, transferred to MTSU, and Thomas is redshirting as a transfer.

Jacketman65

I really don't think that we need to be talking about kids being bought out, and going elsewhere, when we have players on the hill passing bad money and being slapped on the wrist for it.  Which by the was is another topic!  It is just strange how UALR can get/keep it going even with a coaching change.  Not saying that they have always been at the top, but yet competitive!  IMO Anderson needs to step it up or be gone, if not this year then next year!

ricepig

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 22, 2015, 12:46:32 am
I really don't think that we need to be talking about kids being bought out, and going elsewhere, when we have players on the hill passing bad money and being slapped on the wrist for it.  Which by the was is another topic!  It is just strange how UALR can get/keep it going even with a coaching change.  Not saying that they have always been at the top, but yet competitive!  IMO Anderson needs to step it up or be gone, if not this year then next year!

You actually think someone would pay a player in "bogus" money if they were paying them to come to their school???

Lionheart88

UALR is a completely different situation.  A lot of folks were very surprised by the last coach getting fired, the program was not in a bad place like UA was when Anderson came in.

pioneers

This is Andersons 5th year this team is all of HIS recruits how long do you have to give him? 7-10 years? Arkansas wasn't in that bad of shape when pelphrey left he had like a top 10 recruiting class he had 4 ESPN top 100 signees that's 1 less than what Anderson has brought to Arkansas in 5 years.

Romeo

Another tough non-conference game tonight against a good mid-major team. North Florida leads the nation in most 3-pointers made per game. Beat Illinois by 12 points.

Jacketman65

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 06:10:39 am

You actually think someone would pay a player in "bogus" money if they were paying them to come to their school???
No, not at all.  My statement was - "players passing bad money"

Lionheart88

Quote from: pioneers on December 22, 2015, 08:57:07 am
This is Andersons 5th year this team is all of HIS recruits how long do you have to give him? 7-10 years? Arkansas wasn't in that bad of shape when pelphrey left he had like a top 10 recruiting class he had 4 ESPN top 100 signees that's 1 less than what Anderson has brought to Arkansas in 5 years.
Did you miss last season?  We haven't won 27 games since '95.  We've only been to the Round of 32 in the Big Dance twice since the 90s.  But for Kentucky being historically good, we'd have won the conference.  Everyone can't be Kentucky and reload year after year.  Did you think we weren't going to drop off this year, losing Portis & Qualls, then Williams and Beard (temporarily)?  We'll be back.

Even Nolan had ups and downs.  This will probably be Anderson's first season not to have a winning record.  No Arkansas coach has had four winning seasons in his first four years since Eddie.  Cut the man some slack.

ricepig

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 22, 2015, 09:06:53 am
Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 06:10:39 am

No, not at all.  My statement was - "players passing bad money"

Which has nothing to do with "I really don't think that we need to be talking about kids being bought out, and going elsewhere."

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 22, 2015, 09:05:46 am
Another tough non-conference game tonight against a good mid-major team. North Florida leads the nation in most 3-pointers made per game. Beat Illinois by 12 points.

Sigh.....

pioneers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 22, 2015, 09:13:11 am
Did you miss last season?  We haven't won 27 games since '95.  We've only been to the Round of 32 in the Big Dance twice since the 90s.  But for Kentucky being historically good, we'd have won the conference.  Everyone can't be Kentucky and reload year after year.  Did you think we weren't going to drop off this year, losing Portis & Qualls, then Williams and Beard (temporarily)?  We'll be back.

Even Nolan had ups and downs.  This will probably be Anderson's first season not to have a winning record.  No Arkansas coach has had four winning seasons in his first four years since Eddie.  Cut the man some slack.
As long as your happy with going to the round of 32 1 time every 5 years then that's fine. I would kinda like for the round of 32 to be more consistent.

DerekOxford

If this season goes south, which it appears it might, especially in league play, then there will be real questions about next season.

Obviously he's signed a pretty solid 2016 class, with a chance to add another player or two before then.

I think realistic expectations for next season should be the round of 32, if not more, and at least 24-25 wins.

NIT or barely sneaking in the tournament next season shouldn't be acceptable.

Lionheart88

Quote from: pioneers on December 22, 2015, 10:11:44 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 22, 2015, 09:13:11 am

As long as your happy with going to the round of 32 1 time every 5 years then that's fine. I would kinda like for the round of 32 to be more consistent.
One down year isn't worth firing a coach, especially with a good class coming in next year.  Again, this isn't the mid 90s.  We can't expect to recruit on a level with UK or Duke and just reload every year.  We'll have some off years here and there.  Wait it out.  If it becomes a continuous downward trend, or if we're not back in the NCAAs in the next year or two, then start looking around for a better option.

AirWarren

I laugh at people who think we can hire any coach in America to lead the Razorbacks. Some folks shades are a little more red than others.

pioneers

Anderson had better success at uab than what he has had at Arkansas? So what is wrong with Arkansas? Is uab a better program than Arkansas?

AirWarren

December 22, 2015, 11:43:41 am #120 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:59:49 am by AirWarren
Quote from: pioneers on December 22, 2015, 11:34:39 am
Anderson had better success at uab than what he has had at Arkansas? So what is wrong with Arkansas? Is uab a better program than Arkansas?

I've always said it and I stand by it.

Location.

I bet you there are a ton more talented players to pick from around Birmingham than the Nwa. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I remember the all star blue chip from Springdale that was supposed to be a savior. Went by the name Michael Sanchez. Bust.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 22, 2015, 11:43:41 am
Quote from: pioneers on December 22, 2015, 11:34:39 am

I've always said it and I stand by it.

Location.

I bet you there are a ton more talented players to pick from around Birmingham than the Nwa. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I remember the all star blue chip from Springdale that was supposed to be a savior. Went by the name Michael Sanchez. Bust.

We get very few kids from NWA, but we are good when we get a top rated player from Arkansas, i.e., Corliss or Bobby. I don't remember anyone saying Sanchez was a can't miss, but he had a Kentucky offer too.

ricepig

I actually watch the whole game last night, I realize N. FL. isn't a powerhouse, but we played well and actually didn't live or die on the 3pt shooting.

AirWarren

Looking like hot garbage right now.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on December 30, 2015, 07:37:33 pm
Looking like hot garbage right now.

Overtime in Dayton after being down by 23 at one point... I almost don't believe we came back!! They have three impressive wins on their schedule so far too.

Lumberjackfan1978

Razorbacks will be ok,Anderson is the right coach for Arkanasas

gameoflife

Couple of early departures, an injury.  Thing is you have to plan on the early departure. Kids want to go for the money. Anderson is ok, but our talent level is not consistantly great.  Don't expect a championship without championship talent.  Arkansas basketball and football is ok but not great year in and year out on the national level.  As fans we have to have realistic expectation.s

WPWells

Look at our expectations for the season. Now look at how Arkansas battled. Try to tell me that Anderson isn't the right coach

BrianfromCarlisle

Beard and Durham both mad poor decisions driving to the hole.  Kingsley NEEDED to touch it.  But they fought hard, and will be ok. Next years team should be really good.  Just need a solid recruiting class for 17 to keep it going

Lumberjackfan1978

Yea the Hogs battled good tonight, they fought hard

WPWells

We should be decent in the SEC. I think if we have a respectable showing in the SEC and possibly even make the NIT this season can be considered a success. Dayton is a dang good team

Lumberjackfan1978

I think we have a chance to possibly make the NIT this year

gameoflife

You are shooting for the NIT?  Wow!!   Playing hard and playing well are not the same thing.  Got to be a high level of talent mixed in there to get to the top.  I'm not sure we have that level of talent.  I'm looking at this in terms of year in and year out consistency, that UA just doesn;t seem to have.

Coach Venny Slocombe

No matter what anyone says this is on MA. I was on the MA bandwagon, was excited when he was hired. I thought he would be the saviour of Razorback basketball. He is not a great recruiter, however he is a good floor coach. His kids play hard. MA cannot help that his players have gotten in trouble. He cannot watch them 24/7.

With all that said we are now in the MA era, his players/his coaches. This is squarely on him. He needs to at least make the NIT this year (I don't think we will) and next year, again with his players we need to make the dance and at least win one game...if not MA needs to go. we are paying him way too much to continue down this path.

I do understand that we cannot just lure in a ton of great coaches, but anybody can lose...anybody can do what we are now...heck Pelphrey and Heath did just as good...

Lionheart88

No they didn't.  Through his first four years, Heath was 61-57 and made 1 NCAA appearance (year four).  Through his first four years, Pelphrey was 69-59 and made 1 NCAA appearance (year one, with Heath's players).  Through his first four years, Anderson was 86-48 and made 1 NIT and 1 NCAA appearance.  Anderson has a much better win percentage and more postseason appearances than either.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 31, 2015, 12:31:45 am
No they didn't.  Through his first four years, Heath was 61-57 and made 1 NCAA appearance (year four).  Through his first four years, Pelphrey was 69-59 and made 1 NCAA appearance (year one, with Heath's players).  Through his first four years, Anderson was 86-48 and made 1 NIT and 1 NCAA appearance.  Anderson has a much better win percentage and more postseason appearances than either.
The other two made the dance as many times...and MA won with Pel's players...

Jacketman65

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 30, 2015, 11:46:53 pm
No matter what anyone says this is on MA. I was on the MA bandwagon, was excited when he was hired. I thought he would be the saviour of Razorback basketball. He is not a great recruiter, however he is a good floor coach. His kids play hard. MA cannot help that his players have gotten in trouble. He cannot watch them 24/7.

With all that said we are now in the MA era, his players/his coaches. This is squarely on him. He needs to at least make the NIT this year (I don't think we will) and next year, again with his players we need to make the dance and at least win one game...if not MA needs to go. we are paying him way too much to continue down this path.

I do understand that we cannot just lure in a ton of great coaches, but anybody can lose...anybody can do what we are now...heck Pelphrey and Heath did just as good...
Well said and I totally agree!  It is just not happening for him here at Ar like it did at Mo.  He should be feeling some heat!

ricepig

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 31, 2015, 12:10:49 pm

Well said and I totally agree!  It is just not happening for him here at Ar like it did at Mo.  He should be feeling some heat!

The season is the first time in any time in his career where he had less than a .500 record. That's not too shabby, oh, and he's not going anywhere for a few years, minimum.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2015, 12:36:09 pm

The season is the first time in any time in his career where he had less than a .500 record. That's not too shabby, oh, and he's not going anywhere for a few years, minimum.
And that in itself is sad...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 31, 2015, 04:32:33 pm

We're 20 years from being relevant in basketball, sounds about normal.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2015, 05:16:43 pm

Yep, but at some point we have to break that. If we continue to just embrace mediocrity then we should just drop basketball...

WPWells

Idk, maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I think next year starts a major upward trend

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 31, 2015, 08:55:08 pm

Yep, but at some point we have to break that. If we continue to just embrace mediocrity then we should just drop basketball...

When you have a rational thought, feel free to add one.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 20, 2015, 09:15:04 pm
No....those guys were already signed. You don't turn down 3 of top 4 jucos players. Especially when you KNOW they will be there for the 2 years. One and done is killing the game. He planned on Monk being there with those 3 guys
I agree one and done is killing the game,I don't want any players who will only be here one year

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: gameoflife on December 30, 2015, 10:43:16 pm
You are shooting for the NIT?  Wow!!   Playing hard and playing well are not the same thing.  Got to be a high level of talent mixed in there to get to the top.  I'm not sure we have that level of talent.  I'm looking at this in terms of year in and year out consistency, that UA just doesn;t seem to have.
well I don't think we will make the big dance this year so yea I'll take the NIT

Lionheart88

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 31, 2015, 08:55:08 pm

Anderson has had 18, 19, 22, and 27 wins in his four years at Arkansas.  We haven't won 27 games or more in a season since 1995.  If that is continued mediocrity, then I doubt any coach in America could save the program.

BrianfromCarlisle

Lumberjackfan1978

Agree Hogs will be fine,just have a few doubters out there

Jacketman65

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 31, 2015, 11:44:12 pm
I agree one and done is killing the game,I don't want any players who will only be here one year
One and done players don't seem to be hurting Kentucky! We have never signed any of these players, so it is certainly not hurting the game for the hogs.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 02, 2016, 10:11:27 am
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 31, 2015, 11:44:12 pm
One and done players don't seem to be hurting Kentucky! We have never signed any of these players, so it is certainly not hurting the game for the hogs.
i really wonder what Cal would do if they did away with the rule.

How this is hurting the game is that these players now limit their choices to only the top programs. So of course it doesn't hurt Kentucky, they get all those players. You basically can pencil in a top 5 class for them and any of the other top programs right now.

Then you see the next level of programs keep guys for 4 years and make a run every now and then.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas