• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DeAngelo Williams

Started by wing, July 11, 2014, 08:50:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wing

Someone may have already posted this but +1 to this young man. Gave up his business class seat to a Marine. Wynne and Arkansas should be proud of this young man.

Uncle Ivan

Good deal.  DW's been going through a lot - lost his mother to cancer a few months ago, started a mammogram initiative, and does things like this.  He's a model citizen.

walkingguy72396

To bad the guy was not an actual Marine in my professional opinion having worn the uniform.  But good gesture non the less.

AirWarren

He seems like an awesome guy.

DerekOxford

Really wish he could have been a Razorback.

Hoghead

Quote from: DerekOxford on July 23, 2014, 12:39:19 pm

He turned down the Flagship to set records at Tiger High.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoghead on July 26, 2014, 11:09:19 am

The flagship huh.

Jacketman65

Quote from: AirWarren on July 26, 2014, 11:12:15 am

The flagship huh.
When was the last time the flagship won anything in football?  I have forgotten!

Hoghead

July 26, 2014, 01:59:03 pm #8 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:27:36 pm by Hoghead
Quote from: Jacketman65 on July 26, 2014, 01:32:08 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on July 26, 2014, 11:12:15 am

The flagship huh.
When was the last time the flagship won anything in football?  I have forgotten!

Ahhhh and Tiger High has won what in Football ever ? The guy was a great RB. Its his choice to play wherever he wants. A noted Wynne poster has said, When the Flagship offers you listen. But the guy wanted to play close to home. Nothing wrong with that. But to try and match the Tiger High Football Program against the Flagship is crazy. They call it Tiger High for a reason !

walkingguy72396

Another reason or so the rumor mill goes, was because the Hogs wanted him to play on the defense.

Hoghead

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on July 26, 2014, 03:01:13 pm
Another reason or so the rumor mill goes, was because the Hogs wanted him to play on the defense.

Funny, Nutt wanted D-Mac to be a Safety !

Uncle Ivan

Another rumor was they thought Dedric Poole was better.

Even Poole knew DW was a better tailback.  His teammates definitely did, saying "Dedric Who?" to him watching Williams run all over Shiloh in 01.

27 Trap

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 26, 2014, 06:36:30 pm

Another rumor was they thought Dedric Poole was better.

Even Poole knew DW was a better tailback.  His teammates definitely did, saying "Dedric Who?" to him watching Williams run all over Shiloh in 01.
[/quote
Had both DeAngelo & Poole in All Star game that year, there was no question to who was the best back.....DeAngleo stood head & shoulders above all the backs we had, think Poole stayed at Arkansas for just a few years and transferred to UAPB.......Just look at past history, DeAngleo is still playing in the NFL, don't know if Poole was even drafted.......

Uncle Ivan

July 26, 2014, 11:36:59 pm #13 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:39:47 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: 27 Trap on July 26, 2014, 10:11:33 pm

Had both DeAngelo & Poole in All Star game that year, there was no question to who was the best back.....DeAngleo stood head & shoulders above all the backs we had, think Poole stayed at Arkansas for just a few years and transferred to UAPB.......Just look at past history, DeAngleo is still playing in the NFL, don't know if Poole was even drafted.......

Well hello Coach.  Hope you're doing well.

Poole didn't have the size, and probably not the speed that Williams had.  My favorite DW play remains the punt return TD in the title game - DW ran through a ring of Stuttgart players.  The only thing all six did was turn their heads as he went by. 

chaingang

Quote from: Hoghead on July 26, 2014, 05:29:47 pm

Funny, Nutt wanted D-Mac to be a Safety !
i also think Nutt wanted Mallet to play tight end......that's what i have heard over the years.

Mr_Deb

A lot of people don't realize wynne had another great running back in antonio warren who went on to do great things as well having a stint with the 'Browns, it's impressive to have one great player on your hs team but wynne had two nfl caliber rb's in the same backfield.. #42 #34 could run by or over you the same. D.will was really something, could cut on a dime, great mid range speed with power on par to backs like hillis or howard. Having played against both Poole and Williams, the latter was a real gem in the rough! Heck we all thought Dearrius Howard was the best we'd see but d.will put that to rest for us in his junior year.

Arkansas was loaded at the rb position when he was coming out, made no sense for him to go there really... although I think he would have proven himself rather quickly on the hill, politics just didn't seem right there was some talk of him being a "shut down DB" for the hogs and like already mentioned a couple of blue chip rb's on the roster. Iowa was on the rise at the time and most folks not in the know thought he'd be a (including me) hawkeye. Memphis just turned out to be a good choice for him, I'm guessing the health of his mother played a role in the decision.

The games against Ole Miss really put him on the national radar....  people then said okay this guy is moving like that on a sec defense must be some good stock there.

Hoghead

I remember him coming to Hope in 2001. As Wynne came on to the field that night you could see they were pumped up. Wynne wanted to revenge their home playoff loss to Hope and their RB D.D. Holyfield in 2000. Someone yelled out,"welcome to the Dirty South DeAngelo" show me something tonight. He responded, ITs SHOWTIME !!!!!!!".   He didn't disappoint. He put on a show that night in a 42-21 Yellowjacket win ! D.D. Holyfield had a good game. But it was all DeAngelo that night !

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: devil_kid on July 27, 2014, 03:32:28 pm
A lot of people don't realize wynne had another great running back in antonio warren who went on to do great things as well having a stint with the 'Browns, it's impressive to have one great player on your hs team but wynne had two nfl caliber rb's in the same backfield.. #42 #34 could run by or over you the same.

Warren was an outstanding back, didn't quite have the physical tools that Williams had.  But, Williams wouldn't have gotten to where he was if it wasn't for Warren.  I understand that AW taught him quite a few things.

Mrs. Hill, his mother, hadn't been diagnosed with breast cancer when he enrolled at Memphis, but she was losing siblings by that point to the disease.  She had, however, come down with it before he was out of college.  I saw her earlier this year on a visit to a Jonesboro cancer center for my own mother.  Neither one of them were doing well, but we had a pleasant conversation.   Nice lady.  Several months later, both of them are gone.

Anyway, the knock on DW in college was that he was doing that mainly on CUSA defenses.  Thing was, he was getting CUSA blocking.

Quote from: Hoghead on July 27, 2014, 04:29:47 pm
I remember him coming to Hope in 2001. As Wynne came on to the field that night you could see they were pumped up. Wynne wanted to revenge their home playoff loss to Hope and their RB D.D. Holyfield in 2000.

It was mainly that, but the thing with the scoreboard added to it.  Hope had beat Helena the week before by that same score from the OT game the year before.  Teams are there before the game, scoreboard comes on, the scores are up there - Hope 17 Visitor 14.  The operator had forgotten to hit a button to clear the board, or something.  Nonetheless, the Wynne team wasn't amused.

Mr_Deb

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 27, 2014, 06:35:49 pm
Warren was an outstanding back, didn't quite have the physical tools that Williams had.  But, Williams wouldn't have gotten to where he was if it wasn't for Warren.  I understand that AW taught him quite a few things.

Kind of remember warren being sort of physical lol he definitely ran with a mean streak. Heck that wm wynne game of my sr year we'd much rather tackle the bigger #35 hervae williams than #42...   D.will had the lateral speed and vision that set him apart from warren, warren favored contact more d.will albeit greater physicality than warren preferred to blaze by you. It's crazy because we set a national rushing record that year near a 1000 yds on russellville. Howard was doing 300 a game then just a bowling fest...  it was weird watching for the first time a RB with similar physicality to howard using a great deal of finesse effectively. That part of honing his skills at a time when he simply could've out muscled everyone has enabled him to endure 8 years as a nfl RB which is impressive when you consider the fact that in many less physical skilled positions they don't hold up as long. Howard would've done much better in college had he not relied so much on the power aspect in high school.

Arkansas definitely let a good one go, if you can put Memphis in the top 25 you can put the Hogs in the top 5...  heck if UA would've offered him a couple horses, yacht and a private lake they still would've gained it back in revenue a hundred times over from what he would've brought.

Tiger High made some quality honey from that lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas