• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eli Cranor to Clarksville

Started by hasbeen03, February 26, 2014, 03:19:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart88

He's awfully young, but has an impressive record for a guy with three years of coaching experience.  I don't think we ever had a class together, but I knew him by reputation at Ouachita, and he's a class act.

Jimbo Morphis

Lionheart88

He graduated the year after I did , but I think he was a redshirt senior, so he should be about 26.

hasbeen03

He's a really nice guy and I know he knows the game. I like it as long as he isn't gone in 2 or 3 years and "we" (CHS alum) have to start over.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: hasbeen03 on February 26, 2014, 03:43:49 pm
He's a really nice guy and I know he knows the game. I like it as long as he isn't gone in 2 or 3 years and "we" (CHS alum) have to start over.
if he turns your program around you will be better off even if he leaves in 3 years.

hasbeen03

Quote from: Oldman on February 26, 2014, 03:55:51 pm
Quote from: hasbeen03 on February 26, 2014, 03:43:49 pm
if he turns your program around you will be better off even if he leaves in 3 years.

True

Charlie55

How does not hiring a former "Panther" All State quaterback and current very successful "head football coach" & athletic director make any sense?    Coach Khris Buckner was best fit for the job?   BIG MISTAKE HIRING COMMITTE!

Charlie55

Coach Cranor will head to Russellville the first opporunity he gets.

Lionheart88

Why do you think that, Coach Buckner?

Charlie55

Not Coach Buckner making comments.   You don't think Coach Cranor will head to his home turf the first opportunity he gets?   Really?

whippersnapper

You know sometimes hiring committees and school board decide from the beginning if they will want a hometown guy or not. Maybe that's what happened.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 26, 2014, 05:20:54 pm
Not Coach Buckner making comments.   You don't think Coach Cranor will head to his home turf the first opportunity he gets?   Really?
Every post you've made on the entire forum is promoting him for this job.  If you're not him you're his wife, kid, parent, best buddy from school, or some other close friend/family member.  At any rate, you're not exactly an objective source, so don't be surprised when the rest of us think you're just slamming Cranor because he's not your boy.

Charlie55

Charlie55

Not slamming Coach Cranor at all.  Just the hiring committee.    Looks like Clarksville just wants to hang their hat on their Basketball Championships.   

PORKEROINKER

February 26, 2014, 05:52:53 pm #15 Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:31:12 pm by PORKEROINKER
Coach Cranor has pretty much been the guy from the first day of interviews, committee interviewed several guys, but Cranor was the favorite all along. It would have taken someone blowing the committee away to beat him out. And Charlie55 is not Coach Buckner, but he is a family member.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 26, 2014, 05:33:09 pm
And you are?
I'm nobody.  No connections to Clarksville besides some friends that moved there back in the 90s (and they were homeschooled, so no connections to the school district at all).  I was at OBU when Cranor was, but I've never met the guy, I was about as far from a college football player as can be.  But when somebody has five post all advocating for the same guy, and the text under his name & post count is the saying the same thing, it's an easy leap to make.

Charlie55

Yes, Khris is my step-son & I know his resume & abilities.  I'm sure coach Cranor is a nice guy.   Based on what is posted on coach Cranor, he is no way close to qualifications of Khris.   I know all think this is a total biased decision, but it is not.  I've watched Khris coach for years & watched him win a state championship in Nebraska.   He really is a great coach !  I wish Coach Cranor the best.

Charlie55

I'm almost certain Porkeroinker has a first name of Chris also. He is good friends with a member of hiring committee & had inside information.   

beaverfan007

will he bring a high flying aerial assault or ground and pound offense???

Romeo

Cranor ran a very high powered offense the last two years at Arkadelphia. Youth and inexperience doesn't always mean a coach won't be successful. I believe Coach Hembree was 25 or 26 when he took the head coaching job at Warren and only had two years experience as an assistant coach.

beaverfan007

was he a hc or oc at Arkadelphia???

Romeo

Lionheart88

I'm not certain , but I think he may also have coached QBs at Arkadelphia in addition to being OC.

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 26, 2014, 06:45:20 pm
I'm almost certain Porkeroinker has a first name of Chris also. He is good friends with a member of hiring committee & had inside information.   

Names not Chris and my source is not even in the Clarksville school district, but he knows people who are.

loyal fan

I'm glad Clarksville found their guy. Just surprised. I know of one coach who applied that has had great success in ark FB. Would have thought it was his job to lose.

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: loyal fan on February 27, 2014, 08:16:16 am
I'm glad Clarksville found their guy. Just surprised. I know of one coach who applied that has had great success in ark FB. Would have thought it was his job to lose.

I heard several names that would have been good for Clarksville, but the head of the committee really did his homework on all these guys and the top 4 all came highly recommended from several people in and out of the state. I think it just shocked people for one reason because Coach Cranor is so young, but that I believe is one thing that the committee liked.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

February 27, 2014, 10:11:26 am #27 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:13:49 am by Chief_Osceolaâ„¢
From what I've been told about Coach Cranor, I think it's a good hire.  That said, I wouldn't have minded if Coach Buckner had been given an opportunity.  He's had success everywhere he's been, and he knows his stuff, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  He's a good friend and former teammate of mine.  Did he even apply for the job?

Anyway, I wish Coach Cranor nothing but success.  I hope he's able to get Clarksville back to being a strong presence in football.

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on February 27, 2014, 10:11:26 am
From what I've been told about Coach Cranor, I think it's a good hire.  That said, I wouldn't have minded if Coach Buckner had been given an opportunity.  He's had success everywhere he's been, and he knows his stuff, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  He's a good friend and former teammate of mine.  Did he even apply for the job?

Chief I agree 100% with your post. And yes he did apply and interview, I have heard nothing about why he was offered the job though.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

There is a huge difference between a shocking hire and a bad hire.  Every name I heard that interviewed would have been a good choice, and Cranor was one of those.  My thought is that if you go through over 50 applications and spend the time to interview 13 gentlemen, you are not taking this lightly.  Everybody who had a dog in this fight thought their guy was the right guy.  The two that were mentioned, Buckner and May, along with several others that I know would have been great hires, and they chose Cranor.  My guess is this guy is pretty good, and I want to welcome him to the 5A West and wish him the best of luck.

longhorns

I've been reading about Clarksville's football coach opening and the new hire.   I really don't know alot about football but i have interviewed several people for jobs.    Based on what I am reading and hearing on qualifications of those interviewed, there will be alot of people in Clarksville with questions.    Does anyone have the opinion that it appears that some decision makers in Clarksville school system likes control and hired a coach that will make it easier for them to have?   Very interesting & very questionable hire.

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: longhorns on February 27, 2014, 10:30:58 am
I've been reading about Clarksville's football coach opening and the new hire.   I really don't know alot about football but i have interviewed several people for jobs.    Based on what I am reading and hearing on qualifications of those interviewed, there will be alot of people in Clarksville with questions.    Does anyone have the opinion that it appears that some decision makers in Clarksville school system likes control and hired a coach that will make it easier for them to have?   Very interesting & very questionable hire.

This hire was made because they felt Cranor was the best guy for the job, I can tell you no one in the Clarksville Admin are the type to try to bring string pullers within the football program. This will be Eli's program to run without interference and if people from Clarksville are questioning the hire they either have ulterior motives or know very little about the game of football.

longhorns

Oinker, you sure seem to know alot for a person who's source is not in the Clarksville area.  hmmm?   I know some people, who know the people in the school system, and totally disagree with you.    You are right about ulterior motives, but wrong about who has them.

EagleEye

I actually like this hire! Cranor is young, energetic, and ready to build his own program however he wants to do it. Not to mention prove himself to the "older" crowd. Cranor was great at OBU and that will definitely transfer over to coaching. I probably assume that there might be a couple people in Clarksville that think they can control him because of how young he is but I don't see how they could do this when none of them know anything about running a good football program so that shouldn't be an issue. Cranor has no shoes to fill and it will be good getting to see an up to date football program. Great all around hire in my opinion.

longhorns

Well, I guess I'll go with the ole saying, 
Proof is in the pudding & it doesn't take long to make pudding!

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: longhorns on February 27, 2014, 12:56:02 pm
Oinker, you sure seem to know alot for a person who's source is not in the Clarksville area.  hmmm?   I know some people, who know the people in the school system, and totally disagree with you.    You are right about ulterior motives, but wrong about who has them.

I could be wrong, your are 100% correct the proof is in the pudding.

beaverfan007

he will do good at Clarksville just look what his offense did at arkadephia

Oldbadger

Clarksville did not have a QB last year.  They'll have to have one like Howell and a receiver like Oliver to replicate his accomplishments in Arkadelphia.  Be interesting.

Charlie55

I would like to apoligize for sounding negative toward Coach Cranor and the hiring committee in my previous post.   I hear Coach Cranor is a great guy and coach.  I was very frustrated and disappointed when my step-son, Khris Buckner did not get the job.  From my understanding, the structure and effort put into hiring Coach Cranor was such that the committee and the board hired the guy "they" felt was the best coach for the job.  I welcome Coach Cranor to Clarksville and the best in building our Panther football program.  I know all things work out for the best and I know that I do not have to understand it all, but to really belive it. 

hillbillydeluxe

His offense may be great, but for Clarksville to get to where they need to be, they better play some defense.  It's funny how everyone falls in love with these guys that snap it quick and run so many plays in a game.  50 points a game is great, but if you give up 52 a game it's still a loss.  Who cares though as long as we are flashy and look good on offense, defense isn't important.  He better hire a great defensive coordinator, because say what you want, if you can't play defense you won't win the big games, and by looking at our schedule this year, their are plenty of big games to be played.  Personally I believe Clarksville should have hired a defensive guy that will sell out to being physical and instilling that in every kid from 7-12th grade in the program, just my opinion though.  Cranor has a ton of experience coaching so we should be in good hands

The Coach

Quote from: Oldbadger on February 27, 2014, 06:55:02 pm
Clarksville did not have a QB last year.  They'll have to have one like Howell and a receiver like Oliver to replicate his accomplishments in Arkadelphia.  Be interesting.

Clarksville QB wasn't that bad. He was a pretty solid ILB as well.

They do have a pretty good Sophmore RB and WR tandem that should help them.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 28, 2014, 09:27:35 am
I would like to apoligize for sounding negative toward Coach Cranor and the hiring committee in my previous post.   I hear Coach Cranor is a great guy and coach.  I was very frustrated and disappointed when my step-son, Khris Buckner did not get the job.  From my understanding, the structure and effort put into hiring Coach Cranor was such that the committee and the board hired the guy "they" felt was the best coach for the job.  I welcome Coach Cranor to Clarksville and the best in building our Panther football program.  I know all things work out for the best and I know that I do not have to understand it all, but to really belive it.
+1

Oldbadger

February 28, 2014, 11:00:33 am #42 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:13:21 am by Oldbadger
I didn't mean to infer that he wasn't a good QB or athlete, I was implying that for the offense Cranor will run he will need a different type.  He will need a duel threat which is what Howell was and most aren't good ones like him.  I do not even know the former Clarksville QB.  I'm from Arkadelphia.

hasbeen03

For those interested, I interviewed Coach Cranor yesterday and you can visit the following link (fast forward to about the 30 minute mark) to listen:

http://rivervalleyleader.com/multimedia/videos/youtube_587d2d2c-a0b9-11e3-b2b5-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

athletic supporter

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 28, 2014, 09:27:35 am

+1...It is easy to get "caught up" in the discussions on here. I've done it myself MANY times. It takes a big person to admit they made a mistake and apologize. My hat is off to you!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Considering all the coaches that were in the running...this hire blows my mind...

loyal fan

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 03, 2014, 08:39:52 am
Considering all the coaches that were in the running...this hire blows my mind...
Would have to agree

Oldbadger

Me too.  However, I remember a young 26 year old coach who didn't have any high school coaching experience who was hired by Arkadelphia. He promptly went on to win a state championship in 1987 and lots and lots of more games.  It was a risky chance for the Badgers but it paid off.  John Outlaw then went to Texas and became a legend.  Catch a movie next year called "Outlaw" and you will see what I am talking about.  Clarksville advertised for an "experienced" coach, then hired one with little experience, albeit successful experience.  I was still surprised.

longhorns

This was more Banning connections hire for Clarksville.   Head coach of Arkdephia is cousins with Coach Banning.   (no big deal there)  However, for some reason?, Coach Cranor was their guy from the start.   Few coaches that interviewed are reporting that a couple of people on hiring committee acted "totally" uninterested while in the interview process.   Coach Cranor is starting March 15th, and they wanted someone on board asap.  Coach Crannor had no fear of burning a bridge with connections of Arkdelphia and Coach Banning.   They were strong disagreements amoung hiring committe members on who was the "best" big picture coach for the job.    Coach Cranor had some awesome athletes on Arkdelphia football team and worked with a great head coach.  Everyone is asking what makes Clarksville decision makers think Coach Cranor has the ability to "build" a team and be a head coach with two years of coordinator experience. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Oldbadger on March 03, 2014, 09:35:22 am
Me too.  However, I remember a young 26 year old coach who didn't have any high school coaching experience who was hired by Arkadelphia. He promptly went on to win a state championship in 1987 and lots and lots of more games.  It was a risky chance for the Badgers but it paid off.  John Outlaw then went to Texas and became a legend.  Catch a movie next year called "Outlaw" and you will see what I am talking about.  Clarksville advertised for an "experienced" coach, then hired one with little experience, albeit successful experience.  I was still surprised.
Oh I agree, you just never know...however if I was on the hiring committee a couple of things would have to have been considered...
1. Clarksville is a 5A school with little or no football tradition. Cranor has zero head coaching experience and will be playing in a very tough classification...
2. Clarksville is a basketball school...tough to overcome...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas