• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy vs. Highland Park (TX) in Texas

Started by Texas, February 06, 2014, 02:25:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas

I am not sure of the date, but this game is a done (signed) deal. HP was a pretty deep playoff team in 4A Division I last season. They will be in 6A (largest classification) this coming season. Should be exciting.

The Future

Haven't heard of this school. I'm not exactly familiar with Texas football lol. What kind of team are they? Whats their history? How are they compared to Trinity?
We here in Arkansas know what PA can do and how they operate. Give us a bit of info about HP so we can determine if it will be a good game or if Texas will go 3-0 against some of Arkansas's top teams over the last handful of years lol

ricepig

Quote from: The Future on February 06, 2014, 12:09:19 pm
Haven't heard of this school. I'm not exactly familiar with Texas football lol. What kind of team are they? Whats their history? How are they compared to Trinity?
We here in Arkansas know what PA can do and how they operate. Give us a bit of info about HP so we can determine if it will be a good game or if Texas will go 3-0 against some of Arkansas's top teams over the last handful of years lol

You've never heard of Highland Park, think Jerry Jones resides there, Matthew Stafford played QB there, several other D-I's come from there. I don't know what there recent history is, but a top notch school.

Texas

Yeah. Matthew Stafford of the Lions played QB there. Doak Walker and Bobby Layne both NFL HOF's. Five others played in the NFL.

Their HC is Randy Allen who is in the top 10 all time in HC wins in Texas.

HP as a football program is #1 all-time overall across all classifications in total wins with 767.

HP is definitely one of the storied programs of Texas HS football.

Last season HP was 13-2 in 4A. The losses bookended their wins. First loss came to eventual 4A Division II state champ Aledo, who IMHO was the best team in 4A last season and would have destroyed most 5A teams. Would have hung in pretty well vs. elite 5A teams. I digress. Aledo 44 HP 3. Second loss was to Denton Guyer who the next week won the 4A Division I title. Denton Guyer 22 HP 16.

So yeah. Two losses. Both against the 2013 4A state champions. The remaining games they won quite easily. Average scores in their wins was 46.9 scored and 14.3 given up.

The sling it around, but can run effectively and play solid D. In the UIL realignment they were placed in a district I think they will win. I cannot tell you how many starters are coming back or anything like that. Should be pretty darn good next season and quite a challenge for PA.

Texas

As for HP in general. Notable current residents include President George W. Bush & Laura, Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki among many many others. Highland Park and University Park (home of SMU) are the two cities that make up the Highland Park Independent School District. These two cities are commonly referred to as the "Park Cities". Surrounding the Park cities are the most affluent neighborhoods of Dallas proper. HP and UP, as you have by now figured out are where the top 1% live. CEO's, Billionaires, 9 digit Millionaires, people with money, power and influence. HPHS's list of notable alumni is vast and includes many athletes, an award winning Astro-Physicist, several Pulitzer Prize winners, a Nobel Prize winner, a Tony Award winner, two Academy Award winners, a former two term Texas Governer (Bill Clements) and John Hinckley Jr. (I doubt they are proud of that one).

7AFBFAN

Can the rich kids recover onside kicks? With the no punt philosophy this one could be quite interesting.

ricepig

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on February 08, 2014, 08:28:39 am
Can the rich kids recover onside kicks? With the no punt philosophy this one could be quite interesting.

Why, aren't rich kids recovering them for PA? I mean,relatively speaking for Arkansas?

7AFBFAN

Very good point. Texas rich is a true rich and not a wannabe rich. PA better have an up year or they will have their hands full with this team.

Texas

Everyone has heard of PA because of the onside kick thing. Or at least, "Oh, that's the team that never punts and always onside kicks?

I am sure. HP will be coached up on that. Whether they can recover onside kicks or not, can they stop PA in four downs? I think they will be ready.

Cabotred

Cabot was coached up to recover kicks and we all know what happened.

Easier said than done when pressure is on.

The Future

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2014, 03:40:26 pm

You've never heard of Highland Park, think Jerry Jones resides there, Matthew Stafford played QB there, several other D-I's come from there. I don't know what there recent history is, but a top notch school.

As I said, absolutely no knowledge really of out of state football teams. I hear names every now and then. But thats it lol. While I love the game of football in general and across high school, college, and pro, my main interest and passion is Arkansas high school football.

bum bum buuummmmm......

Texas

Quote from: Cabotred on February 08, 2014, 03:53:47 pm
Cabot was coached up to recover kicks and we all know what happened.

Easier said than done when pressure is on.
I think my point is more like...

Maybe they do not recover onside kicks, but I doubt PA's offense will move the ball much on HP's defense. You can't kick onside kicks if you do not score. I am not saying PA goes scoreless. I just don't see them recovering multiple onside kicks and scoring bunches of points. Does Pulaski have a good defense? They will need one to stop HP. This game will get out of hand early if PA keeps giving HP a short field.

wing

Quote from: Texas on February 08, 2014, 01:40:32 am
Yeah. Matthew Stafford of the Lions played QB there. Doak Walker and Bobby Layne both NFL HOF's. Five others played in the NFL.

Their HC is Randy Allen who is in the top 10 all time in HC wins in Texas.

HP as a football program is #1 all-time overall across all classifications in total wins with 767.

HP is definitely one of the storied programs of Texas HS football.

Last season HP was 13-2 in 4A. The losses bookended their wins. First loss came to eventual 4A Division II state champ Aledo, who IMHO was the best team in 4A last season and would have destroyed most 5A teams. Would have hung in pretty well vs. elite 5A teams. I digress. Aledo 44 HP 3. Second loss was to Denton Guyer who the next week won the 4A Division I title. Denton Guyer 22 HP 16.

So yeah. Two losses. Both against the 2013 4A state champions. The remaining games they won quite easily. Average scores in their wins was 46.9 scored and 14.3 given up.

The sling it around, but can run effectively and play solid D. In the UIL realignment they were placed in a district I think they will win. I cannot tell you how many starters are coming back or anything like that. Should be pretty darn good next season and quite a challenge for PA.

If I remember correctly, Lance Mcllhenny played QB at HP. He is SMU's all time winning QB. Still hate those cheating %#^@%'s!!

Hoghead

Ryan Mallett had some big games against HP when he was at Texas High. They will give PA a good game !

wing

Quote from: Hoghead on February 12, 2014, 01:32:56 pm
Ryan Mallett had some big games against HP when he was at Texas High. They will give PA a good game !

I think RM may have made his first HS start as a freshman in the state finals against HP in the old Cowboy Stadium.

Lions84

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Texas on February 06, 2014, 02:25:14 am
I am not sure of the date, but this game is a done (signed) deal. HP was a pretty deep playoff team in 4A Division I last season. They will be in 6A (largest classification) this coming season. Should be exciting.

....they jumped from 4A to 6A in one year?  What kind of enrollment surge was that?

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 20, 2014, 10:52:26 pm

....they jumped from 4A to 6A in one year?  What kind of enrollment surge was that?

Texas pulled an Arkansas and created a new division.

Texas

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 20, 2014, 10:52:26 pm

HP grew by a little less than 150 students since the last realignment two years ago. Texas added a 6A. Essentially, what was known as Sixman is now 1A. 1A is now 2A etc... So the new 6A is essentially the previous 5A. Really only the name changed. HP really just jumped up one classification level.

PA Pressbox

Lions84

jaxalum2008

It could be a good game, depending on if Pulaski Academy has any defense or not. If not, the game could get really ugly.

National Sports Rankings website has Highland Park winning by an average of 28 points.

Lions84

Baitshop

Texas

Quote from: Baitshop on March 23, 2014, 09:29:20 pm
Shiloh/Trinity II.....
Quite possibly.

In getting blown out situations, does PA finally start punting?

Lions84

PA never punts it seems but they will face a HP team hunting to make a statement and keep the TX vs Ar HS series all Texas.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Texas on March 29, 2014, 12:54:46 am
Shiloh/Trinity II.....
Quite possibly.

No. How are you going to come back if you give the other team possession?  ;D

Lions84

If things work out I might have to go see this one in person.

Texas

Quote from: DerekOxford on April 04, 2014, 12:52:28 pm
Shiloh/Trinity II.....
Quite possibly.

No. How are you going to come back if you give the other team possession?  ;D
True, but if it is 49-6 to start the 4th quarter, why keep giving your opponent a short field? Instead of your opponent going conservative offensively, don't you risk them thinking, 'Geez these guys never learn', and go ahead and keep pouring it on to try to MAKE them get the message?

Once the outcome, is inevitable, it just seems like asking for trouble to keep playing that way. Also, you're putting the winning coach in an awkward position. No punt, take over on your their 28 yard line. Even if they run, run, run, what do they do on 4th?
- A 39 yard FG is really not that difficult for a good HS kicker. You wouldn't tell your kicker to purposefully miss. Running up the score if he makes it.
- Go for it? Running up the score.
- Punt from the 22 yard line?

Should be interesting.

Texas

Quote from: Lions84 on April 07, 2014, 10:31:35 am
We'd love to have you.

Lions84

Quote from: Texas on April 07, 2014, 02:40:09 pm
We'd love to have you.

Where is the game being played at??

Texas

HorseFeathers

April 10, 2014, 12:10:26 am #32 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:12:04 am by HF
Quote from: Texas on April 09, 2014, 11:47:53 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 10:38:55 am
We'd love to have you.

HP's home stadium on their campus. Highlander Stadium. http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=256

Just looking through those stadiums on that page makes me a bit jealous, wish some of the schools up here had the money to dump into a 7 or 8K seat stadium...

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2014, 09:20:51 am

Why, aren't rich kids recovering them for PA? I mean,relatively speaking for Arkansas?
NO, they are not recovering them for PA........just kicking them.....and doing that rather well.

Kazimierz

I just noticed that HP's mascot is the Scots. I hope they have bagpipes and some sort of  William Wallace looking character running out with the team. That would be pretty cool.

Burpsnart

April 10, 2014, 01:07:57 pm #35 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:09:40 pm by Burpsnart
That would be awesome.

Baitshop

April 10, 2014, 10:53:57 pm #36 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:56:22 pm by Baitshop
Shiloh/Trinity II.....
Quite possibly.

In regards to his no punting streak/stance, Kelly would rather take a Shiloh-Trinity Euless type whipping that admit that his insistence of not punting is a poor strategy inside his own 30 yard line....pure ego

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 10, 2014, 08:02:44 am
I just noticed that HP's mascot is the Scots. I hope they have bagpipes and some sort of  William Wallace looking character running out with the team. That would be pretty cool.

Hopefully they don't go for full historical accuracy and come charging through the banner wearing nothing but their birthday suits.

Texas

Looks like Trinity will be playing on Saturday that week, so if I get off work in time I might be able to go.

Lions84

Quote from: Texas on April 09, 2014, 11:47:53 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 10:38:55 am
We'd love to have you.

HP's home stadium on their campus. Highlander Stadium. http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=256

Thanks I will see how my own HS schedule works out for that weekend.

MB Hog

PA will likely put more points on the board than HP expects, but I'm not sure they can keep HP from scoring more.  This game probably depends on turnovers and line play.  If PA can keep the TOs about even and if the line can give their offense a smidge of time to operate, this will probably be a good game.  PA has experience playing some bigger programs, so they will not be intimidated about heading to Dallas for a tough game.

Hoghead

HP 48
PA 28

PA will play lights out, but HP will pull it out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas