• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarksville HC job open

Started by whippersnapper, February 03, 2014, 01:48:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

Just seen on the triple A website this job is open. Can anybody tell me about the job? They never seemed to big on football just basketball.

x14113

Once upon a time, Panther football was HUGE. It was one of the more successful programs in the state (at least in terms of win totals) in the '80s and '90s, but ever since losing to once-lowly Lamar to end the '05 season, there simply hasn't been much thought given to it.

Still, I find it interesting that Banning would leave behind his coaching duties to be AD.  How prevalent is coach-AD double duty in Class 5A, anyway?

My personal opinion is that they need to find someone who realizes that success can come regardless of school size.  I've noticed Clarksville has used that "too-small" excuse almost every time their football struggles are mentioned.

BTW...Coatney to Clarksville?

Hogskin

Great job for Young coach ready to shine. Clarksville had one of the best looking teams in the conf. A coach who can motivate and preparate will bring the Panthers immeadatly into playoff contention.

Uncle Ivan

whippersnapper

Hey X14113 Brooke's coatnwy wouldn't be interested would he??

loyal fan

How are the younger grades athletically?

x14113

Quote from: whippersnapper on February 04, 2014, 12:44:19 am
Hey X14113 Brooks Coatney wouldn't be interested would he??

TBH, I doubt it.  The only reason he would even consider the position is because he could pull off his ambitions better there than at VB.  He vaules being close to his family, though, so that might not be reason enough.

Another thing to consider when approaching Panther FB (and athletics in general): The JH teams still play in the 4A-4 despite the likelihood of staying up a class in the long term.  This will eventually hurt their chances in the long run once too many athletes become daunted in high school play after dominating the JH ranks.  Banning will have to do whatever he can to get CJH moved to either the River Valley or the Central AR conferences before long.  Considering Shiloh's JH situation (a return to the 4A-1 is highly unlikely), that could be tougher than necessary.

Quote from: Hogskin on February 03, 2014, 09:51:27 pm
A coach who can motivate and preparate will bring the Panthers immeadatly into playoff contention.

Will he need to orientate and revelate, too?   ;D

Titan Spirit

whippersnapper

I honestly felt Coatney messed up leaving Ozark when he did. But that's a different subject in all. On the job listing it says experience required. I assume they mean HC. I wonder if any river valley coordinators are going to go after it?

DogsWin7

Any assists to take the job?     

ricefarmer

PORKEROINKER

February 06, 2014, 11:16:29 pm #11 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:27:07 am by PORKEROINKER
Look for a coach from a higher classification in East-Northeast Arkansas to possibly take the Clarksville job. If this happens may shock some when you consider the school he would be leaving.

Uncle Ivan

Someone couldn't be bothered to post that with their regular handle.

whippersnapper

Between Hill and Welch it sounds like haha

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 06, 2014, 11:39:37 pm
Someone couldn't be bothered to post that with their regular handle.

??????

Devil Dog 17

EagleEye

DogsWin7

February 09, 2014, 04:45:20 pm #17 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:57:43 pm by DiehardFBfan
I have a feeling they will take their time with this hire.   I've heard that some really good  coaches have applied. 

One plus one

Can you say or hint who have applied?
Any from out of state?

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: One plus one on February 09, 2014, 05:01:51 pm
Can you say or hint who have applied?
Any from out of state?

Harv Welch.

AirWarren

PercussionMan

EagleEye

Yea I don't see that happening as well.

zebrafan69

February 10, 2014, 11:00:31 am #23 Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:02:13 am by zebrafan69
Got a buddy over there that said they have had one coach from East AR apply that had alot of success last year

PercussionMan

Quote from: zebrafan69 on February 10, 2014, 11:00:31 am
Got a buddy over there that said they have had one coach from East AR apply that had alot of success last year

There is a coach "from the East" that went and talked with the superintendent.  He is staying put where he is now.

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: PercussionMan on February 10, 2014, 08:36:28 am
Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on February 07, 2014, 11:00:02 am
Two words!!!! Chris Hill

Two words: Not happening!

If Chris Hill wants it, it will be his if not then move on to the next guy.

PercussionMan

Quote from: PORKEROINKER on February 10, 2014, 10:03:08 pm
Two words!!!! Chris Hill

That was my point...he doesn't want it.  Guess I should have been more blunt.

EagleEye

I don't think Clarksville needs a flighty coach anyways. Clarksville needs somebody that will stay to build a program. Their football program has been at rock bottom for awhile so they need somebody that will bring them up to the surface to where other good programs are at.

x14113

Quote from: EagleEye on February 11, 2014, 10:22:57 am
I don't think Clarksville needs a flighty coach anyways. Clarksville needs somebody that will stay to build a program.

You do realize that Banning was HC far longer than his far-more-successful predecessor, right?

If a coach wants to stay for the long term, he risks the creeping complacency that has pervaded the Clarksville program in recent seasons.

I doubt the potential for a long-term commitment is the highest priority at the moment.  It may not hurt, depending on whom, but it's still far more imperative to find someone willing to shake things up a bit.

EagleEye

All I was meaning was I don't think Clarksville needs a coach, like one of the coaches mentioned above, that will go somewhere for 2 seasons then leave. I also wasn't meaning Clarksville should look for a coach that will stay for 15 years. Many of the more successful high school programs around the state have had the same head coaches at their programs for 5+ years. I think it would be in Clarksville's best interest to find a coach that is willing to come in and commit to the program in this way. Of course programs will have up and down years. That is just how it goes.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I wouldn't be concerned with how long a coach stays.  If he's a good coach and leaves the program better than he found it and does right by the kids, then whether he is there 1 year or 20 years shouldn't matter (See Arkansas State).

I have also heard that this job has garnered several very good candidates.  I think it will be difficult for the Panthers to screw this hire up.

EagleEye

I would agree that it doesn't matter how long a coach is at a place as long as he leaves the program better it was before him. But I feel like it wouldn't take much effort to improve the Clarksville program from what it has been. Having said that, for Clarksville to be considered a "good" football program, I'm going to assume that it is going to take more than one year. I don't mean that bad about Clarksville at all either. I'm not trying to knock Clarksville. It is what it is and the future should be a lot brighter for them given the right coach. It's also not fair to compare Arkansas State to anything because those athletes were recruited and boy do they have a bunch of great ones.

Uncle Ivan

If you're in that division and at a program that was looking to make an upward move, well, now's the time.

hoopcoach2

Quote from: x14113 on February 04, 2014, 02:41:03 pm
Quote from: whippersnapper on February 04, 2014, 12:44:19 am
Hey X14113 Brooks Coatney wouldn't be interested would he??

TBH, I doubt it.  The only reason he would even consider the position is because he could pull off his ambitions better there than at VB.  He vaules being close to his family, though, so that might not be reason enough.

Another thing to consider when approaching Panther FB (and athletics in general): The JH teams still play in the 4A-4 despite the likelihood of staying up a class in the long term.  This will eventually hurt their chances in the long run once too many athletes become daunted in high school play after dominating the JH ranks.  Banning will have to do whatever he can to get CJH moved to either the River Valley or the Central AR conferences before long.  Considering Shiloh's JH situation (a return to the 4A-1 is highly unlikely), that could be tougher than necessary.

Quote from: Hogskin on February 03, 2014, 09:51:27 pm
A coach who can motivate and preparate will bring the Panthers immeadatly into playoff contention.

Will he need to orientate and revelate, too?   ;D

the jh teams will be moving into the river valley league next year

Chief_Osceola™

I've got it on pretty good authority that there are a couple of coordinators from a very successful program in western Arkansas that have thrown their names in the hat.  Over 40 applicants in all so far.

zebrafan69

My dude over ther is saying they are starting interviews on Tuesday and will offer someone by Friday... three head three asst

beach bum

I have heard that there is a coach from the 1-4A that is very interested. Clarksville will get a good hire no matter. A lot of good people seem to be wanting this.

DogsWin7

I heard of one candidate who would be a excellent hire. 

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: zebrafan69 on February 14, 2014, 11:11:15 am
My dude over ther is saying they are starting interviews on Tuesday and will offer someone by Friday... three head three asst

Interviews to start Monday.

Ffffan29

Charlie55

Coach Khris Buckner is the man for the job!!
Great player he was & is an excellent Coach!

PORKEROINKER

Quote from: Charlie55 on February 15, 2014, 02:13:20 pm
Coach Khris Buckner is the man for the job!!
Great player he was & is an excellent Coach!

Would have like to seen him get an interview, but don't believe he did.

ricefarmer

Quote from: PercussionMan on February 11, 2014, 08:28:57 am
Quote from: PORKEROINKER on February 10, 2014, 10:03:08 pm
Two words!!!! Chris Hill

That was my point...he doesn't want it.  Guess I should have been more blunt.
I doubt anyone in AR will hire ol CHiP.... may win some gms but big trade off in how he belittles his administration and parents.

Chip

ricefarmer, why don't you go tell my brother that.  I know he's turned down jobs to stay at Wynne.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Heard they hired May from Booneville...

Uncle Ivan

I interviewed last week.

I made no promises, other than to have the dirtiest, nastiest team in the state.

whippersnapper

They finished interviews today from my source. No time line on the hire but they want them soon cause they only have 2 coaches in off season.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Still have interviews scheduled through Friday.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 18, 2014, 04:02:04 pm
Heard they hired May from Booneville...

That would be a great hire, but I couldn't see him leaving his alma mater.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas