• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gentry is Open

Started by Brian G, December 21, 2014, 09:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Loyalfan1

Quote from: IPROFB on February 19, 2015, 10:44:24 am
I think this is the second year they've been in it. Really nice!
Anyone have pics?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 19, 2015, 10:04:18 am
Quote from: IPROFB on February 19, 2015, 09:09:54 am
Congratulations to the new head football coach at Gentry. You guys have a really nice indoor practice facility. Hopefully, he can get some kids out and improve their numbers between now and August.
wait a minute, Gentry has an indoor practice facility?
Doesn't everybody?  :)

nuttinbuthogs

So no talent doesn't win, that's an amazing philosophy.  Great talent wins no matter what offense they run provided that great talent can play some defense.  Defense wins championships, but offense gets the press.  Offensive coaches get the most notoriety.

LCC

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2015, 02:51:31 pm
So no talent doesn't win, that's an amazing philosophy.  Great talent wins no matter what offense they run provided that great talent can play some defense.  Defense wins championships, but offense gets the press.  Offensive coaches get the most notoriety.
Talent is all it takes? Pine Bluff Dollarway is more talented than almost any team they play all year, and they win a good amount of games but talent alone doesn't win championships.

nuttinbuthogs

Talent is the #1 ingredient.   Without it you are not going to win.  The teams with the best talent win more often than not.  Good coaching helps, bad coaching hurts, but talent is most important.  Got to have it to start anything. 

nuttinbuthogs

When does the new coach come in.  Any word on any moves in the program?   I think a lot of people believed Ramsey would get the job.

purpleswag

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2015, 06:20:27 pm
Talent is the #1 ingredient.   Without it you are not going to win.  The teams with the best talent win more often than not.  Good coaching helps, bad coaching hurts, but talent is most important.  Got to have it to start anything.

I would argue that culture is the #1 ingredient

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." Steven King

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: LCC on February 21, 2015, 04:58:34 pm
Talent is all it takes? Pine Bluff Dollarway is more talented than almost any team they play all year, and they win a good amount of games but talent alone doesn't win championships.
Dollarway is more athletic than every team they play, a lot of people confuse athleticism with talent. That alone wins most games for them, but when they get beat it's by better TEAMS with discipline and schemes.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: LCC on February 21, 2015, 04:58:34 pm
Dollarway is more athletic than every team they play, a lot of people confuse athleticism with talent. That alone wins most games for them, but when they get beat it's by better TEAMS with discipline and schemes.

gameoflife

I have to agree, talent is what drives a winning team.  Good coaching sure can help but the best coaches will not win with no talent.  Lots of examples of that around.  Seems even Barry Lunney had a 1-9 season.   I guess he just forgot how to coach that year.  A good coach may help a bad team win one or two against talent only slightly better or just about the same.  A bad coach will do the same in reverse, keep a real good team from winning every game it ought to.  Then every once in a while the talent is just too dang good to overcome. 

nuttinbuthogs

Culture or not, you don't win without talent.  I think the Lunney reference is a good one.  Culture the same  but not the talent in that 1-9 season.

LCC

Quote from: gameoflife on February 22, 2015, 10:28:12 am
I have to agree, talent is what drives a winning team.  Good coaching sure can help but the best coaches will not win with no talent.  Lots of examples of that around.  Seems even Barry Lunney had a 1-9 season.   I guess he just forgot how to coach that year.  A good coach may help a bad team win one or two against talent only slightly better or just about the same.  A bad coach will do the same in reverse, keep a real good team from winning every game it ought to.  Then every once in a while the talent is just too dang good to overcome.
Well put, and I will agree.

Hoophawg

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2015, 06:21:41 pm
When does the new coach come in.  Any word on any moves in the program?   I think a lot of people believed Ramsey would get the job.
The new coach will be coaching softball all spring, think they won state last year

~WPS~

He probably wants to get another ring before he goes to Gentry.

nuttinbuthogs

Shouldn't the new coach be working with the off-season program?

Tigerdad2

Exactly! They posted the job in December, if they cared, they would have hired a guy who would be at Gentry right away

Okieback

February 23, 2015, 11:49:29 pm #166 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:53:50 pm by Okieback
So new guy won't be there for a while?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 23, 2015, 09:51:13 pm
Exactly! They posted the job in December, if they cared, they would have hired a guy who would be at Gentry right away
new coaches rarely get to their new school before the summer. they are under contract to their old school.

Tigerdad2

Schools that really care about football get their coaches in right away.
Little wants to run Spring Practice

Tigerdad2

Even Bauxite and Des Arc got their coach right away
Is Nashville waiting until summer
No

SUGARTOWN

Well, all of you NWA guys said you can't win at Gentry anyway, so does it really matter?

Tigerdad2

With the current situation you can't , if you get new AD and new coach you have a chance
Look at Pea Ridge before Travis, very similar situation and he turned it around

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 24, 2015, 10:55:41 am
With the current situation you can't , if you get new AD and new coach you have a chance
Look at Pea Ridge before Travis, very similar situation and he turned it around
I thought some of the Pea Ridge turnaround was due to the growth in the area? Is Gentry seeing this as well?

Tigerdad2

I don't think that's the main reason, even tho the town is growing a lot. Prior to Travis Pea Ridge consistently won 1-3 games a year and had the worst facilities in the 1-4a next to PG. If you go by numbers I believe Berryville has the highest enrollment and they're always the worst team in the conference. I really think it starts at the top, does the school really want to win if so, they will hire the right guy. The new coach is probably a great guy and coach, but he will have trouble winning bc of the situation. I think any school can be turned around if the correct people are in charge

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 24, 2015, 10:26:33 am
No
you seem angry.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Oldman on February 24, 2015, 04:25:56 pm
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 24, 2015, 10:26:33 am
No
you seem angry.
Just don't say anything to him about the spread! 

Tigerdad2

Haha, traditional spread
You can run spread/ shotgun Wing-T , single back. Run bucksweep one direction, read the backside end , for zone read or pull it and throw the bubble. Just one example.Sounds familiar to yor scheme ?.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 24, 2015, 08:12:39 pm
Haha, traditional spread
You can run spread/ shotgun Wing-T , single back. Run bucksweep one direction, read the backside end , for zone read or pull it and throw the bubble. Just one example.Sounds familiar to yor scheme ?.
Sounds a little familiar.

nuttinbuthogs

When you have average talent you better have a scheme that can be tweaked to the talent you have and you better not be a pass happy freak or you will get in trouble the first time you cannot throw it. 

Patriot12

February 24, 2015, 08:36:47 pm #179 Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:36:49 am by Patriot12
Little got the guy he wanted. The question is why?  Has  Nashville been successful during his tenure compared to Nashville tradition.  I don't think loosing to Lincoln or  Pg is acceptable at Nashville. And Believe me Little does not want to run spring practice.  Practice no one gets credit for  running practice

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Patriot12 on February 24, 2015, 08:36:47 pm
Little got the guy he wanted. The question is why?  HAs  Nashville been successful during his tenure compared to Nashville tradition.  I don't think loosing to Lincone or  Pg is exceptable at Nashville. And Believe me Little does not want to run spring practice.  Practice no one gets credit for  running practice
Sounds like Lincoln and PG will like the choice.

Beaver Fever

You can't blame or credit him for loses to pg or Lincoln.  He just had a title of oc, Dawson called the plays.  He will be fine but it sounds like you are hoping he fails before he gets a chance.  That negative attitude may be why gentry struggles, it rubbs off on the kids.

IPROFB

Moving from an assistant coach to a head coach is a different type of learning experience. You can throw out all the records as an assistant coach because they are meaningless in determining future success as a head coach. He will have an excellent facility and some good people to work with at Gentry. The measure of his success will be based on his ability to get the kids to come out and buy into his scheme.

~WPS~

He's been a head coach before.

Loyalfan1

I think it is a great hire.  Good luck GHS!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Beaver Fever on February 26, 2015, 07:45:07 am
You can't blame or credit him for loses to pg or Lincoln.  He just had a title of oc, Dawson called the plays.  He will be fine but it sounds like you are hoping he fails before he gets a chance.  That negative attitude may be why gentry struggles, it rubbs off on the kids.
so you were in the nashville pressbox and know he never called plays?

Swampdonkey

Quote from: Beaver Fever on February 26, 2015, 07:45:07 am

You're exactly right.  Paul is a great man and a quality coach.  Gentry should be thrilled to have him.  They will soon realize they are blessed. 

Tigerdad2

Was he the OC? Or was it Dawson? I witnessed the play calling at Lincoln and PG games.
If he was, he played a huge role in winning or losing those games. I'm never going to doubt you guys when you say he's a great man. That's a good thing but play calling is a different issue

JohnMarkTomayo

Okay, Gentry fans, players, and parents here is what you are getting in Coach Ernest. 
A man who is very, very, smart and articulate.  High morals, high energy, family guy, and a people person.  He is a total athletic program guy...he has at least three rings (I know of) as a head or asst. coach outside of football.  His football knowledge was first-rate before he went to work at Nashville and it could have only gotten stronger with the people he worked with there. 
I commend you on a great hire, if you will get behind him and buy in to his system and the process that goes along with it - good things will be in store for you at some point down the road.

fredcage

It seems to me the time to post about the type of coach you want is before the hire.  After the hire, you need to be supportive of your new coach.  A lot of Nashville fans would have preferred Coach Ernest over the coach that was hired.  It seems the NW Ark posters have gone from "Who would want the job at Gentry?" to "Why would Gentry choose a coach from those losers in Nashville?"  Coach Ernest mentored under Coach Lance Spigner, one of the top baseball coaches in Arkansas, mentored under Coach Dawson, one of the top football coaches in Arkansas, and took a softball team to a state championship on his own.  Knowing how to prepare a group of kids for championship competition should count for something.  Trust him to design the X and O's and come back in 3 years and tell us how things are going.

Tigerdad2

I feel really bad for the guy because everyone talks about what a great he is, but idk if he knows what he walked into . Little runs the show and will continue to run the show. Gentry has potential but idk if it can be change if he is still there

OLDSCHOOL82

If there is this much anomosity towards Little and the Gentry program, something needs to be done.  It could also be just a small group.  I dont know.  I'm just an outsider looking in with no clue of whats truely going on.  Posting on FF about it will not solve anything.  Go to Board meetings and air out complaints.  Call your superintendent.  Call your board members.  There is right and wrong ways to go about solving problems.

Okieback

Wonderdog

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on February 27, 2015, 09:13:56 am
If there is this much anomosity towards Little and the Gentry program, something needs to be done.  It could also be just a small group.  I dont know.  I'm just an outsider looking in with no clue of whats truely going on.  Posting on FF about it will not solve anything.  Go to Board meetings and air out complaints.  Call your superintendent.  Call your board members.  There is right and wrong ways to go about solving problems.

Well said. +1

always88

Problem is that superintendent is spellbound by Little and the board has no backbone to go against superintendent or Little. Its all a joke.

Tigerdad2

Well said! His 24-55 record and humility is why probably

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas