• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bauxite hires new HC

Started by RabidWolf, December 19, 2014, 01:59:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RabidWolf

Heard former Des Arc coach Dustin Prescott is headed to Bauxite. Interesting hire. Very successful at DA but 2A-4A is a big jump. Thoughts?

Jimbo Morphis

he won't have to play junction city.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2014, 02:17:46 pm
Yeah only Nashville, Malvern Arkadelphia, Mena, Ashdown, Fountain Lake

phdefense

Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2014, 02:17:46 pm
Taking over a school that is annually worse than Junction. To then have to face 3 or more teams a year in conference that annually are better than Junction would not seem like a logical move with that rule set.

polksalet

What kind of offense does he run?

whippersnapper

At DA I believe a flexbone Georgia tech style

phdefense

Quote from: whippersnapper on December 20, 2014, 12:40:30 am
At DA I believe a flexbone Georgia tech style
Blarg...we are in Arkansas. Whipper meant Ken Hatfield style.

polksalet

Seems like the best way to go.

LizardAlum10

Evidently his (now former) players found out about his move through social media. Pretty crappy on his part!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: LizardAlum10 on December 21, 2014, 11:44:34 pm
Evidently his (now former) players found out about his move through social media. Pretty crappy on his part!

Thats just another reason people shouldn't post other people's personal business on social media.

After what happened to him last year, maybe he was waiting till it was official before he told anybody, and wouldn't blame him if he did. I read about it on here before anybody that i know, knew about it. The person who posted it on here has no ties to des arc. Prescott is a good guy, i know he would never do anything to mislead the kids.

RabidWolf

When I posted it, my information came from Hooten's twitter feed. I assumed it was known information if it's being released like that.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

December 22, 2014, 09:18:42 am #11 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:21:44 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: RabidWolf on December 22, 2014, 03:15:46 am
When I posted it, my information came from Hooten's twitter feed. I assumed it was known information if it's being released like that.

As far as i could find out, they posted it a little too soon.

I wasnt referring to you rapid, I saw it on another thread on here the day before you posted it.

LizardAlum10

I agree! One of my friend's brothers goes to DA and I went to several games this year. It's sad that it's posted for the world to see before it can be taken care of closer to home.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: LizardAlum10 on December 22, 2014, 12:40:22 pm
I agree! One of my friend's brothers goes to DA and I went to several games this year. It's sad that it's posted for the world to see before it can be taken care of closer to home.

People just try to be the ones who breaks information.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

pick_DA_EAGLES - I understand the frustration of not hearing it from their head coach, but let's be clear that the information on this site wasn't posted until the Bauxite school board had approved Prescott on Thursday night.  Johnbarleycorn does a good job of not posting rumors.  Understandably, Prescott probably did not want to tell his players until he had been approved after the Watson Chapel debacle, but once it's been approved by the school board in front of town folk, I don't think anyone is in the wrong for posting that.  I was getting info on the details of the hire and was impressed that none of that leaked out.  minerjack, johnbarleycorn, and I'm sure others knew good info early in the week, but out of respect for coaches and their present teams didn't say anything. 

I thought AD Doug Quinn and the Bauxite administration did an excellent job with this hiring process.  I have no idea whether they got the "right guy", but they interviewed only the guys they thought they might hire and didn't waste a lot of folks time interviewing 10-12 guys knowing they were really only considering 3 or 4.  I had a buddy that I thought should have gotten an interview, but I'm glad he and his family didn't have to deal with the interview process only to find out it was just a dog and pony show.

Beaver Fever

This one came from nowhere. I thought Guthrie was a shoe in. 

They need an offense to set them apart from the rest of the teams in that conference, they can't stay in the spread and expect to win, I say go back to the veer.   Look at Fountain lake, they were out athleted every week (except Waldron) and gave teams fits with that misdirection.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Beaver Fever on December 23, 2014, 08:17:54 am

They need an offense to set them apart from the rest of the teams in that conference, they can't stay in the spread and expect to win, I say go back to the veer.   Look at Fountain lake, they were out athleted every week (except Waldron) and gave teams fits with that misdirection.

Well Prescott should be a good hire then, he doesn't run the spread and did well at des arc with limited to no athletes on the team.

IPROFB

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 23, 2014, 01:27:47 pm

Well Prescott should be a good hire then, he doesn't run the spread and did well at des arc with limited to no athletes on the team.

Speaking of offense, that foot to foot double wing stuff does work good at the 2A level but I don't know how good it will work at 4A.

Wendell Robinson

Ask Booneville how it worked for them.

OLDSCHOOL82

Booneville doesn't use foot to foot splits.  We use 2 foot splits!

whippersnapper

Well first double wing foot to foot splits is a completely different philosophy from what booneville does. Double wing is based off the "student body" sweep. Double team at POA with a backside wrap and kick out. Built on a lot of double teams and people in through 1 hole. Basically in a phone booth. I've heard of coaches that will put 16 guys on scout team defense against this offense then run their base plays to show their team it will work if they work together, which is about 8 plays. Booneville runs a variation of the wing t. Nowadays some call it the "hybrid" or "red&blue" formations, you mix that in with some option looking at completely different blocking schemes. Talking about a lot of cut blocking and straight to linebackers. Leaving some of those ends and olb untouched.

Wendell Robinson

I wasn't trying to spark a debate. I was simply stating that it was asinine to say something wouldn't work at a certain level. Any offense can be effective at any level with proper coaching and execution. Booneville was who I thought of because they run a power based offense out of a flexbone style of offense. It's served them quite well.

bleudog

December 24, 2014, 10:38:00 am #22 Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:40:57 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 24, 2014, 10:16:01 am
I wasn't trying to spark a debate. I was simply stating that it was asinine to say something wouldn't work at a certain level. Any offense can be effective at any level with proper coaching and execution. Booneville was who I thought of because they run a power based offense out of a flexbone style of offense. It's served them quite well.

Navy went 8-5 running out of a flexbone.

Wendell Robinson

And Georgia Tech went 10-3 averaging 34 points per game.

Air Force went 10-3 in the double wing. Though the Falcons use more of a pro style approach. It's centered off of flexbone/double wing principles.

phdefense

And here we go with the people that can't distinguish between formation and offense again.

nuttinbuthogs

Everybody knows you have to run the spread to have a real chance to be good or to win a state championship.

Beaver Fever

Navy and Air Force run a double slot, it's an option scheme.. The double wing is what whipper snapper described.  Two totally different philosphies.  Btw in order to have a wing you must have a TE inside him, navy and Air Force rarely if every do.   You need to understand the difference between a slot and a wing before you talk about what people run.

minerjack

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on December 22, 2014, 01:48:31 pm
pick_DA_EAGLES - I understand the frustration of not hearing it from their head coach, but let's be clear that the information on this site wasn't posted until the Bauxite school board had approved Prescott on Thursday night.  Johnbarleycorn does a good job of not posting rumors.  Understandably, Prescott probably did not want to tell his players until he had been approved after the Watson Chapel debacle, but once it's been approved by the school board in front of town folk, I don't think anyone is in the wrong for posting that.  I was getting info on the details of the hire and was impressed that none of that leaked out.  minerjack, johnbarleycorn, and I'm sure others knew good info early in the week, but out of respect for coaches and their present teams didn't say anything. 

I thought AD Doug Quinn and the Bauxite administration did an excellent job with this hiring process.  I have no idea whether they got the "right guy", but they interviewed only the guys they thought they might hire and didn't waste a lot of folks time interviewing 10-12 guys knowing they were really only considering 3 or 4.  I had a buddy that I thought should have gotten an interview, but I'm glad he and his family didn't have to deal with the interview process only to find out it was just a dog and pony show.
Good post, Depriest. Over 60 people applied. No need to waste people's time.

minerjack

Just shows how bad Bauxite wants to win again instead of being labeled a "buddy system" school.

minerjack

Quote from: IPROFB on December 23, 2014, 09:51:01 pm

Speaking of offense, that foot to foot double wing stuff does work good at the 2A level but I don't know how good it will work at 4A.
Cabot does it in 7A.

minerjack

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 24, 2014, 12:01:49 pm
Everybody knows you have to run the spread to have a real chance to be good or to win a state championship.
You're crazy.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Imo, it will not be his offense that wins games. Hes a good defensive minded coach.

minerjack

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 26, 2014, 09:45:17 pm
Imo, it will not be his offense that wins games. Hes a good defensive minded coach.
The offense he runs has won him more games than his defense has. If he was running a spread vs the double slot, he wouldn't be as successful.  His offense compliments his defense.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 26, 2014, 10:12:52 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 26, 2014, 09:45:17 pm
The offense he runs has won him more games than his defense has. If he was running a spread vs the double slot, he wouldn't be as successful.  His offense compliments his defense.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but i think its his defense that lets that offense keep his teams in games. Not many teams not named j.c. have scored more than 20 ppg since hes been at d.a.

phdefense

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 26, 2014, 09:16:07 pm

Cabot does it in 7A.
Cabot doesn't run the Double wing. They run the Dead-T.

minerjack

Quote from: phdefense on December 27, 2014, 05:34:38 am
Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 26, 2014, 09:16:07 pm

Cabot does it in 7A.
Cabot doesn't run the Double wing. They run the Dead-T.
No, I knew they didn't. Just trying to make a point to this guy.

IPROFB

It doesn't matter what defense or offense he has run at 2A ball, 4A is a whole new ball game.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: IPROFB on December 27, 2014, 02:03:53 pm
It doesn't matter what defense or offense he has run at 2A ball, 4A is a whole new ball game.
Yes, because no coach that has come from a lower classification has ever won anything in 4A. ::)

phdefense

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on December 27, 2014, 02:07:59 pm
Yes, because no coach that has come from a lower classification has ever won anything in 4A. ::)
Yeah especially from little rinky dink schools like Marked Tree & Hughes.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

December 27, 2014, 05:05:50 pm #39 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:30:04 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES

And some people's post are irrelevant  ::)

Please explain how defense is played differently in 4A than in 2A. Dont they play with 11 players also? Isnt the object still to keep the other team from scoring?

I guess you didnt know that a coach from little ole des arc coached his new team all the way to the mighty 4A title game this year?

Jacketman65

Quote from: phdefense on December 27, 2014, 02:41:26 pm
You Stuttgart girls might want to check your history!  How soon you forget.  Did Elmore not coach and win a championship at Glenn Rose prior to Arky, before going to Stuttgart?  Therefore Sugar, your statement is bogus!

IPROFB, your are very right in that the 4A is much stronger than the 2 in all aspects of the game,

whippersnapper

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 27, 2014, 06:20:08 pm
You Stuttgart girls might want to check your history!  How soon you forget.  Did Elmore not coach and win a championship at Glenn Rose prior to Arky, before going to Stuttgart?  Therefore Sugar, your statement is bogus!

IPROFB, your are very right in that the 4A is much stronger than the 2 in all aspects of the game,
Idk maybe its me but I caught on to the sarcasm

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: whippersnapper on December 27, 2014, 06:26:07 pm

Idk maybe its me but I caught on to the sarcasm
Exactly right Whipper, anybody with a half a brain could see the sarcasm. I guess that's why my fan in Clinton didn't pick up on it.

Tip: the eye roll emoticon usually indicates sarcasm.

phdefense

Here is a history lesson for you. Coach Bobby Bolding who is now the head coach at Pine Bluff and coached Stuttgart to it's 2002 championship, coached at Marked Tree prior to coming to Sugartown. Now hush when the adults are talking and you might learn something.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: phdefense on December 27, 2014, 07:26:11 pm

Here is a history lesson for you. Coach Bobby Bolding who is now the head coach at Pine Bluff and coached Stuttgart to it's 2002 championship, coached at Marked Tree prior to coming to Sugartown. Now hush when the adults are talking and you might learn something.

Some people will never understand common sense.

Oldbadger

Seems that Gus Malzhan coached at Hughes then eventually wound up at Shiloh and won a championship there, or am I confused?

gameoflife

You are correct, Malzhan went to the championship game while at Hughes, lost.  Then went on to Shiloh and won a few championships, 3 days at Benton, back to Shiloh and then to Springdale prior to getting a job at UA. 

OLDSCHOOL82

December 27, 2014, 09:06:49 pm #47 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:35:17 pm by OLDSCHOOL82
Malzhan will never amount to anything due to coming from such a small school.

gameoflife

Hey, what happened to Auburn this year, they didn't repeat for the National title?  How is that possible?

Oldbadger

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 27, 2014, 09:06:49 pm
Malzon will never amount to anything due to coming from such a small school.
This answers your question!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas