• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playing time

Started by raiderski, September 13, 2011, 04:41:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

raiderski

I have a kid that shows real potential but he doesn't get any playing time. I know every parent thinks he has the next superstar but if we could, for this one post believe what I say and give me your opinion of how the situation should be handled. My son is 14, 6'5 needs to put weight on but is very strong. He has played the same skill position for 6 years and has taken private instructions from a former NFL player. He has won best in his age group several times at different camps and also has made the  1st string All Star team for the last 4 years. He runs at least a 4.7. The coach has pretty well said he is terrible, opting to play players much smaller and slower in his position. He has now moved him to a new position where it is doubtful he will ever touch the ball. I might mention the coach never played football. My question is how does he get the eye of future recruiters if he never plays and does anyone have any recommendations?

True Fan

cav2012

Change schools ...that's about it

pirates123

raiderski

Same coach for basketball. I hate to transfer schools but it looks like that's what we will have to do. Next question, if we wait till after his sophmore year to transfer will he have to sit out his junior year?

True Fan

HorseFeathers

There's a school that has the same coach for basketball and football?

cav2012

HorseFeathers

pirates123

luvinfb

Do you watch them practice?  Reason I'm asking is maybe your kid doesn't give 110% during practice, maybe he goofs off or mouths back.  We've had those issues with our teams and those kids usually got to stand on the sidelines.  Maybe there is just a personallity conflict - have you talked to the coach to see what he needs to work on so coach knows he is serious about playing?  I have one the same age, I know it is very discouraging for the kids to get out there and bust their butts in practice and stand on the sidelines come game time.  Thankfully we have great coaches and they can admit when they have made mistakes and work to fix them.  My son started the season on offense but after going hard every practice and everytime he was in the game he was put in on defense as well.  His coach even told his dad that he wished he had started the season with him on defense as well.   Hope it all works out for you!

WorkOrder

These has to be something else to this. A coach isn't just going to put a kid who is 14 and 6'5' and runs a 4.7 on the bench for no reason. Something is going on at practice or he is acting up in class. I just can't see a coach doing this to a kid even if he doesn't like the kid or his parents.

QPWFB

Something fishy about this story???

Coach of Football

OK...I understand that we were supposed to pretend to believe just this one post, but I can guarantee you that if your kid is 6'5", runs at least a 4.7 forty, and is strong (or if he has any two of those attributes) any junior high coach would find somewhere to play him. I agree with the poster who said that it sounds like a 2A school since the football coach is also the basketball coach. In other words, I think you're probably leaving out a crucial piece of information.

Whatever you do, DON'T MOVE. That's the problem nowadays. Every time something doesn't go the way it's supposed to, parents pull their kids from school A and move them to school B. In reality is that any way to parent? You're teaching your kids to run from their problems. When they get a job and things do go like they want should they jump to the next one? Kids need to learn to handle adversity. It's part of growing and maturing.

Wahls

Quote from: Coach of Football on October 29, 2011, 11:46:28 pmEvery time something doesn't go the way it's supposed to, parents pull their kids from school A and move them to school B. In reality is that any way to parent?

Well considering that teachers and coaches are rarely held accountable for anything by their superiors, it would be a good lesson to prove that life isn't fair and sometimes you just have to move on to get to where you want to go.

Valleysports

October 30, 2011, 12:39:01 pm #15 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:44:19 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 30, 2011, 04:07:35 am
Quote from: Coach of Football on October 29, 2011, 11:46:28 pmEvery time something doesn't go the way it's supposed to, parents pull their kids from school A and move them to school B. In reality is that any way to parent?

Well considering that teachers and coaches are rarely held accountable for anything by their superiors, it would be a good lesson to prove that life isn't fair and sometimes you just have to move on to get to where you want to go.

I'm going to have to go along with Showband on this one!  :o

I'm deleting all the other stuff I added so as not to affend folks - but I'll tell you, just like in other fields, getting a good teacher or coach is 50/50 now days.  Getting good parents is 50/50 now days.

LH_DAD

As a parent of a high school student athlete I would say that you just need to have a conversation with the coach and it should be a 2 way conversation with you asking questions then listening to the coach.  I don't know much, but I do know that this can be worked out!

MHFAN

This can be very frustrating for us as parents.  I agree with LH DAD that you need to have a good conversation with the coach and make sure you state your concerns clearly and then take the time to listen.  The last thing you want to do is alienate your kid.  Coaches are human and do not always make the right decisions.  I do think that most have the right intentions though.  Let's face it, if they don't win, they don't have a job. 

I would also ask this question, is your child having fun?  I have one son that does not get to play much and it bothers me as a dad.  I ask him after every game if he is having fun and the response is always yes.  His playing time is more my problem than his. 

Good luck and keep a cool head!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas