• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Baitshop?) Is there a "Fort Smith/Barling Eastside HS" in the future?

Started by OPoraquê, August 25, 2013, 01:39:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Yesterday I was in Fort Smith.

While at the Dillard's store there, a veteran retail clerk there told me that there are plans to build an outdoor mall like the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in far east Fort Smith/Barling.  I enjoyed talking with him but discounted the notion even though there is building right and left at Chaffee Crossing (where the mall would be) all because, pretty much, of future I-49, which will be the main highway between Canada and the highest volume port in the great lakes to the north, and seven of the top 10 ports in America, plus (not among them) Mexico City.

Then I get home a do a google search, and sho' 'nuff, there IS a 70-store outdoor mall planned in that area, which may have land work begin any day now.  And they're grading a current "interstate-to-nowhere" out there with sparkling new bridges (that have plaques, at least the one for Massard Road did, bearing the name of the Razorbacks' most-vocal-retired-cheerleader, Dick Trammell, along with his AHTD leadership friends) across freshly graded carriageway.

I'd heard in 2002 that a study said when I-49 was complete, Fort Smith would grow as big as NWA is now, and there are clearly people banking on it.  It's amazing how much is out there along that future interstate (as yet with neither a bridge to the north nor a connecting interstate to the south, which is years away at best) that's so far from both the Fort Smith bypass and I-40.  It's like something out of a Rod Serling Twilight Zone or Stephen King novel, with a mysterious city being built almost out of nowhere, with no apparent reason to the naked eye.  Then again, the map below was published by KTBS-TV/Shreveport and not created by Chaffee Crossing, the TV station or the Shreveport C of C, but rather our friends in Texas (Austin, not Euless) at the Texas Highway and Transportation Department.  They're counting on this road, too (wonder why?)  ;) :

You guys may have TWO "Bennies" on your hands (neither named "Greenwood", or indeed, maybe that may be the name of the third one) in Sebastian County if the population grows to what they say it will.  Hope at least you're able to franchise your restaurant out that way.  Seriously, I've never seen any type of speculation like this in my life.

OPoraquê

And here's the SWTR story on the deal.  Amazing. This is such an in-plain-sight-huge-secret there aren't even any comments on the story, con or pro...

Brian G

OPoraquê

Baitshop

Shhhh, O'Porky.....we're just a little rusty, dusty, dying town that used to be relevant....You boys in up north don't have anything to worry about from us ol' boys in Fort Smith....

And, yes, you may see more Benson's Grills popping up in the coming months....perhaps as many as 3 or 4 in the next two years along with another concept that we are working on currently....(here's a hint....think a Godfather's or Chicago deep dish type pizza joint)

As far as a Eastside high school, I know that the land has already be procured, but I think that FS needs an additional junior high first and that Southside has the land to build an additional 24 classrooms easily....I would be shocked if that highschool would be built in the next 15 years....but all of that is just my opinion...

Let me say this though...if and when I-49 is completed, having Fort Smith at the corner of I-40 and I-49 (with the addition of the Arkansas River and a rail system that is already here) would certainly put Fort Smith/Van Buren in an enviable position from an economic standpoint...

Baitshop

Quote from: spurrr on August 25, 2013, 03:59:06 pm
Make it as good as this one and I'll be a weekly customer.
http://www.giovannispizzachicago.com

We have already purchased the equipment necessary to prepare and cook either style of pizza and will begin making trips to different cities to scope out concepts and recipes....the name of the game in pizza is crust and sauce....

OPoraquê

Quote from: Baitshop on August 25, 2013, 03:42:58 pm
Shhhh, O'Porky.....we're just a little rusty, dusty, dying town that used to be relevant....You boys in up north don't have anything to worry about from us ol' boys in Fort Smith....

And, yes, you may see more Benson's Grills popping up in the coming months....perhaps as many as 3 or 4 in the next two years along with another concept that we are working on currently....(here's a hint....think a Godfather's or Chicago deep dish type pizza joint)

As far as a Eastside high school, I know that the land has already be procured, but I think that FS needs an additional junior high first and that Southside has the land to build an additional 24 classrooms easily....I would be shocked if that highschool would be built in the next 15 years....but all of that is just my opinion...

Let me say this though...if and when I-49 is completed, having Fort Smith at the corner of I-40 and I-49 (with the addition of the Arkansas River and a rail system that is already here) would certainly put Fort Smith/Van Buren in an enviable position from an economic standpoint...

Great news on the restaurant front!  Hope to see your places advertised on a big electronic billboard along I-49 in Chaffee Crossing some day.

BTW,

- The Shreveport-to-Arkansas line section of I-49 is supposed to open in November.  That makes I-49 go all the way from the line to Lafayette, then I-10 to Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

- I believe 2016 is the target date for Arkansas to finish the final section of Miller County I-49 (state line to 1-4 miles north).  That will make it I-49 all the way from just above Texarkana to Shreveport then points south.

- Texas is furiously working at upgrading U.S. 59 and other highways into a seamless I-69 corridor from Shreveport/Texarkana to Houston, then the border at Laredo, McAllen and Brownsville (the routes will split at Corpus Christi).  There's about 200 miles of this Interstate signed right now or about to me, with work proceeding all points in between in various phases.

- Late 2016 is the target date for both Missouri and Arkansas to have the Bella Vista bypass finished.  Arkansas money has been approved (construction's ongoing now) and Missouri will meet Arkansas' timeline (they were ready to go earlier).  When that opens it's I-49 all the way to Kansas City, then Interstate all the way to Des Moines/Minneapolis/Duluth (and the Great Lakes) or to Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo and just below Winnipeg.

Then the onus is all on Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana.

True Believer

OPoraquê

Future tagline:

"Benson's - best Chicago-style pizza between Canada and Mexico ('cause we get customers every day from there who TELL us so)."  ;)

fastdrop

Pizza must cost about 50 cents to make. Everybody makes Pizza.

Brian G

I can't confirm(yet) that Benson's has  inquired to buy the rights to the name "Quite Frankly" for his new endeavor.

I can confirm Oreo pizza might be a possibility.

Brian G

If, you start to look in Fayetteville, I implore you to call me before you close on the property.  I've watched pizza places and other restaurants come and go in the same dead spots.

ricepig

Making a special trip to the Jersey/NY area around the 21St of Sept to scout out some pizza joints?

Baitshop

spurrr

Chicago is a must! Good luck and couldn't agree more about your pizza philosophy. I'll add the cheese and quality of the meat is pretty important also. Something that  I noticed in Chicago were the flavors that you just don't get around here. I will volunteer to be your executive sampler!

ricepig

Quote from: Baitshop on August 25, 2013, 07:12:18 pm
Actually, I am....how did you know that rice..??

Bait, it's my business to know what all the guys on the Homeland Watch list are up to, you don't think I log on here for football do you?? It's either that, or I remember seeing you tell someone about Rutgers tickets on HV.

Jeep71

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 25, 2013, 04:18:13 pm

Great news on the restaurant front!  Hope to see your places advertised on a big electronic billboard along I-49 in Chaffee Crossing some day.

BTW,

- The Shreveport-to-Arkansas line section of I-49 is supposed to open in November.  That makes I-49 go all the way from the line to Lafayette, then I-10 to Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

- I believe 2016 is the target date for Arkansas to finish the final section of Miller County I-49 (state line to 1-4 miles north).  That will make it I-49 all the way from just above Texarkana to Shreveport then points south.

- Texas is furiously working at upgrading U.S. 59 and other highways into a seamless I-69 corridor from Shreveport/Texarkana to Houston, then the border at Laredo, McAllen and Brownsville (the routes will split at Corpus Christi).  There's about 200 miles of this Interstate signed right now or about to me, with work proceeding all points in between in various phases.

- Late 2016 is the target date for both Missouri and Arkansas to have the Bella Vista bypass finished.  Arkansas money has been approved (construction's ongoing now) and Missouri will meet Arkansas' timeline (they were ready to go earlier).  When that opens it's I-49 all the way to Kansas City, then Interstate all the way to Des Moines/Minneapolis/Duluth (and the Great Lakes) or to Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo and just below Winnipeg.

Then the onus is all on Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana.
Can't wait for them to cut right through the middle of my farm headed south.

OPoraquê

Jeep71 do you live south of Ft. Smith?  Have they even purchased right-of-way down there?

AirWarren

Interesting talk going on here.

As far as the I69 talk, roads have already been closed in Monticello as work continues on it in south Arkansas. It's coming. 530 is almost made it down in between Warren and Monticello that will connect to the future I69. An intermodal site had been built in between the two towns right at the future 530/69 split. At their last meeting a company requiring 250-300 acres for a plant has been doing research on the area. I know it's not Ft smith/NWA related but something of this magnitude is much needed in the area. Railway is there and if the interstate becomes a reality, then I could result in good economic growth down here. Projected opening for the 530 extension is 2015.

I49/I69 is all great news for our great state.

Baitshop

Quote from: spurrr on August 25, 2013, 08:22:49 pm

Chicago is a must! Good luck and couldn't agree more about your pizza philosophy. I'll add the cheese and quality of the meat is pretty important also. Something that  I noticed in Chicago were the flavors that you just don't get around here. I will volunteer to be your executive sampler!

I agree with you on the importance of cheese and meats, but those are just a matter of finding the right one and purchasing it.....our intention with both sauce and dough are to make them in-house and both of those are delicate and precise products, especially the dough....

As far as "executive sampler"....if you have ever met me in person, you would know that I do ALL of my taste testing myself....and have the waistline to prove it...

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 25, 2013, 09:21:17 pm
Jeep71 do you live south of Ft. Smith?  Have they even purchased right-of-way down there?

The people I know in South FS were paid several years ago for right of way.  You can follow the trail of overpasses from Barling to Jenny Lind to see the path of the road.  Unfortunately money to complete the pavement is hard to come by. I can't imagine those big city developers building that big mall until the road is fully open. 

OPoraquê

Grizzlybaseball, understood.  I, likewise, cannot imagine our current President in Washington's administration letting a bridge be built (which they can halt in a variety of ways) for I-49 over the Arkansas River to connect to this, with so many of those abominable Republicans in this neck of the woods.

That being said: A) The steel is going up for Phoenix Metals' new building, announced only in May of this year, right NOW, and it, like the other businesses along future I-49 are miles from either current I-40 or the current B.L. Klutz Expressway in Fort Smith, B)  they're grading the road right now where earlier it was just an interstate of weeds, C) it's fascinating how the Texas Department of Transportation is salivating over this potential corridor, not that they can do much in Arkansas, D) there's tax money now coming in to pay for that pavement around Bella Vista's section of future I-49 (sorely needed up here with traffic issues) which I'm guessing is going to help you down there in FSM as well.

SOMETHING is making all these people, who didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday (well, maybe the ones who are so enthralled by windmill power did, like the owners of the currently-mothballed Mitsubishi plant in Fort Smith), spend their money down there along the current "interstate-to-nowhere".

Thanks for the info about the land payments.  I was wondering more if people along future I-49 south of there (i.e. south Sebastian, Scott, Polk, Sevier, Little River Counties) had been paid for their right-of-way land as well, but...different football classifications so wrong board.  ;)

Earl is my Hero!!

And, yes, you may see more Benson's Grills popping up in the coming months....perhaps as many as 3 or 4 in the next two years

Perhaps a hostile takeover of another organization not quite "Lucid"?

Or maybe a merger with a "friendly" establishment??

Baitshop

Don't think that it would have to be hostile.....maybe more of jail sale...

OPoraquê

Baitshop, I did NOT know that Arkansas Business was going to publish this article today when I originated this thread yesterday:

Inside the boundaries of Chaffee Crossing — named for Fort Chaffee, the military base that formerly occupied the land — is a mix of residential, commercial, recreational, historical and industrial projects. This has not been a slow year for Owen or anybody affiliated with the Crossing, which is located inside both Fort Smith and Barling with residents who are assigned to either the Greenwood or Fort Smith school districts. Consider:

• Old Dominion Freight Line added a 65-bay terminal earlier this year;
  • Umarex USA and Walther Arms invested $7 million in an expansion of their factory inside Chaffee Crossing;
  • Phoenix Metals is relocating here from Russellville;
  • The Fort Smith School District has designated land within the area as the location of its next high school;
  • First Baptist Church, a fixture in downtown Fort Smith, has plans to build a new campus at Chaffee Crossing; and
  • A 70-store mall is slated for 90 acres of property inside the Barling city limits.

and;

QuoteBy the end of the year a total of six residential developments will be part of the district, which Owen estimates has generated more than $800 million in capital investments since the FCRA was set up in 1999.

"I'm not bashful when I say this: We are the economic engine in western Arkansas," Owen said. "Everything is happening here. It's not just one thing. This has everything that a community or economic developer dreams about. If you were going to come in here with a blank slate and be an economic community developer, this is a dream come true."

A year ago Chaffee Crossing was recognized as the Association of Defense Communities Base Redevelopment Project of the Year. Growth hasn't slowed since then, and the only thing limiting additional industrial expansion is the limited amount of land left zoned for that use.

and;

QuoteEven with all the amenities, Walker said, some in town seem skeptical that Chaffee Crossing will be good for the city. There is some concern, he said, that it will hurt other parts of town.

"I think there are a lot of people in my line of work and my age that see the opportunities out here," Walker said. "Fort Smith will be unrecognizable in five years and we're excited about it. Unfortunately, there are naysayers and people who are maybe a little bit jealous of the Chaffee Crossing area. What they don't understand is this is a plus for all of Fort Smith from the east side to downtown and everywhere else.

and;

QuoteAll of the success that has happened at Chaffee Crossing has been achieved without perhaps the largest piece of the puzzle. Construction is continuing on Interstate 49, which will one day connect the Gulf Coast near New Orleans to the Canadian border. It will include a six-mile stretch that runs through Chaffee Crossing and connect Highway 59 from Van Buren to U.S. 71 south of Fort Smith.

It's near the eventual intersection of Highway 59 and I-49 that the mall is planned. Owen said there will be 12 corners of prime real estate available after the interstate work is complete. Those, Owen said, will be some of the most valuable land in Chaffee Crossing thanks to an estimated 35,000 vehicles per day that will pass through the development district.

"Some people still don't believe it's going to happen," Owen said of the I-49 project, set for local completion in mid-2014. "They're convinced it's not going to happen. There are some of those people around, some hesitancy until they see pavement or until they see traffic. But when that happens, those 12 corners are going to sell and that is going to be the icing on top of the cake as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/94253/chaffee-crossing-in-fort-smith-continues-to-attract-projects?page=1

Earl is my Hero!!

Jeep71

Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on August 26, 2013, 09:43:11 am

The people I know in South FS were paid several years ago for right of way.  You can follow the trail of overpasses from Barling to Jenny Lind to see the path of the road.  Unfortunately money to complete the pavement is hard to come by. I can't imagine those big city developers building that big mall until the road is fully open.
Live in Gwood but I have land between Gwood and Hackett( in gw school district ;)) That purposed I49 will go through according to map. No money yet.

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: Jeep71 on August 26, 2013, 01:51:01 pm

Live in Gwood but I have land between Gwood and Hackett That purposed I49 will go through according to map. No money yet.

I'm only talking about 3 people that I know personally out that way and they were in the Rye Hill area.  one guy had his house and acreage bought almost 10 years ago.  The proposed highway went right through his house.  I always assumed easements and right of way agreements were the first step in any road/highway project.

Jeep have you received anything from the Highway Department about their intent to acquire?  Is there anything to prevent you from building improvements on the property?

OPoraquê

Earl, you and I are normally on the same side so I'll just say "I concur".  However, with NWA predicted to have 1 million people in a couple decades plus FSM predicted (according to studies, which today's Arkansas Business article seems to bear out) to grow as big as NWA when I-49 comes, we may be looking at BOTH NWA and FSM high schools playing Euless Trinity (or Southlake Carroll.  Or Tulsa Union.  Or Allen, etc.) on a yearly basis someday.  At least maybe this means it won't just be BENTONVILLE that everyone's complaining should split:

"Third Fort Smith high school 'Up to citizens'" (July 23, 2013)

Over and out.  Thanks, Jeep71.

Jeep71

Nothing yet. And yes I can build on it.

Spaulding

i guess Dick Trammell has done more good for Ft. Smith than he has for Benton County during his tenure on Highway Commission.  Pretty sad around here.  For the rest of the state, sweet bypass around Pine Bluff and going to the beach though.

honest question, does Ft. Smith have enough growth for another HS, or are they going to move one of the exisiting one's?

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 26, 2013, 10:22:38 am
Grizzlybaseball, understood.  I, likewise, cannot imagine our current President in Washington's administration letting a bridge be built (which they can halt in a variety of ways) for I-49 over the Arkansas River to connect to this, with so many of those abominable Republicans in this neck of the woods.

That being said: A) The steel is going up for Phoenix Metals' new building, announced only in May of this year, right NOW, and it, like the other businesses along future I-49 are miles from either current I-40 or the current B.L. Klutz Expressway in Fort Smith, B)  they're grading the road right now where earlier it was just an interstate of weeds, C) it's fascinating how the Texas Department of Transportation is salivating over this potential corridor, not that they can do much in Arkansas, D) there's tax money now coming in to pay for that pavement around Bella Vista's section of future I-49 (sorely needed up here with traffic issues) which I'm guessing is going to help you down there in FSM as well.

SOMETHING is making all these people, who didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday (well, maybe the ones who are so enthralled by windmill power did, like the owners of the currently-mothballed Mitsubishi plant in Fort Smith), spend their money down there along the current "interstate-to-nowhere".

Thanks for the info about the land payments.  I was wondering more if people along future I-49 south of there (i.e. south Sebastian, Scott, Polk, Sevier, Little River Counties) had been paid for their right-of-way land as well, but...different football classifications so wrong board.  ;)

I certainly hope you are right.  Economic activity is almost a given at the intersection of two interstate highways.  And as was mentioned above, throw in the Arkansas River and a potential slack water harbor and you have the makings for a huge transportation hub.  Of course Ft Smith is also begging for money from the Corp of Engineers to increase the draft in the Arkansas River.

On the subject of the east Ft Smith high school remember that the Greenwood School District boundary comes within 200 feet of the back door the proposed school.  If we get enough students to fill a new school they will live East of Barling in the currently undeveloped areas of Ft. Chaffee that are designated residential.

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: Spaulding on August 26, 2013, 02:15:42 pm
i guess Dick Trammell has done more good for Ft. Smith than he has for Benton County during his tenure on Highway Commission.  Pretty sad around here.  For the rest of the state, sweet bypass around Pine Bluff and going to the beach though.

honest question, does Ft. Smith have enough growth for another HS, or are they going to move one of the exisiting one's?

Northside and Southside are both around 1400 +-.  We could add another 1400 student high school and still have a total student population less than Bentonville high.  Think about that.

I can't see why we would close a high school to move students to a new one. 

Spaulding

Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on August 26, 2013, 02:21:35 pm

Northside and Southside are both around 1400 +-.  We could add another 1400 student high school and still have a total student population less than Bentonville high.  Think about that.

Not being argumentative at all, but, where are the extra 1400 kids coming from?  That's probably an addtional 5,000-7,000 total population growth.  I don't think Ft. Smith has grown that much in many years.

OPoraquê

Spaulding, I do remember Mr. Trammell pushing for six-laning I-540 (future I-49) between Rogers and Fayetteville...he was pushing for some highway tax.  (Don't know if it's the same one that got passed allowing for the Bella Vista (future I-49) bypass to be finished.

However, NWA alone is expected to hit the 1 million mark in a couple decades.  Wish I had the link from when I first moved here, but the ADG said a study showed that a completed I-49 would make FSM's population exploded like NWA's has.  (That's kind of disconcerting...it would literally be like having Tulsa just down the hill 40 miles south from Oklahoma City.  That's a LOT of people.)

Maybe he's just blowing smoke, but the guy in that Arkansas Business article linked above is claiming Fort Smith will be unrecognizable in 5 years.  From what I've seen this summer, there's a good possibility at least East Fort Smith/Barling will be.  Given that I-49 (save for the stretch between Lafayette and New Orleans, currently served by I-10) will be finished in 3 1/2 years between the Canada border and Lafayette (save for the Fort Smith to TXK segment) it all depends on what choices the state of Arkansas makes about that segment, and what it's allowed to make.

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: Spaulding on August 26, 2013, 02:30:55 pm
Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on August 26, 2013, 02:21:35 pm

Not being argumentative at all, but, where are the extra 1400 kids coming from?  That's probably an addtional 5,000-7,000 total population growth.  I don't think Ft. Smith has grown that much in many years.

Don't worry about arguing with me.  I agree with you.  At least for the time being.  Neither high school is overcrowded by any stretch of the imagination.  I would think the population growth would need to be more than 5-7K as you mentioned.  City population is currently 87,000 and we have 2800 high school students.  I would say we are a good long way from needing a third high school.  BUT, when I49 is finally finished; and if the slack water harbor happens; then growth will happen.  And it will happen quickly. 

Spaulding

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 26, 2013, 02:42:08 pm
Spaulding, I do remember Mr. Trammell pushing for six-laning I-540 (future I-49) between Rogers and Fayetteville...he was pushing for some highway tax.  (Don't know if it's the same one that got passed allowing for the Bella Vista (future I-49) bypass to be finished.

However, NWA alone is expected to hit the 1 million mark in a couple decades.  Wish I had the link from when I first moved here, but the ADG said a study showed that a completed I-49 would make FSM's population exploded like NWA's has.  (That's kind of disconcerting...it would literally be like having Tulsa just down the hill 40 miles south from Oklahoma City.  That's a LOT of people.)

Maybe he's just blowing smoke, but the guy in that Arkansas Business article linked above is claiming Fort Smith will be unrecognizable in 5 years.  From what I've seen this summer, there's a good possibility at least East Fort Smith/Barling will be.  Given that I-49 (save for the stretch between Lafayette and New Orleans, currently served by I-10) will be finished in 3 1/2 years between the Canada border and Lafayette (save for the Fort Smith to TXK segment) it all depends on what choices the state of Arkansas makes about that segment, and what it's allowed to make.
I lived/worked in Van Buren for a few years and really liked it.  Ask East ARK, an interstate in itself does not create jobs.  Now, I do think that Ft. Smith area has never capitalized on the combination of the interstate and the river.  The town has always seemed a little too "old money" to be progressive (perhaps that was an incorrect initial impression on my part).  In my opinion, manufacturing jobs are not returning anytime soon.  Ft. Smith has to find another option.  They are too close to NWA to not piggyback on some of the job creation up here.

OPoraquê

Spaulding, I concur about the "old money".   I'm surprised still at the million dollar homes being built in FSM nowhere near Chaffee Crossing, such as the farthest west cul-de-sacs of Fianna Hills on the promontory overlooking Oklahoma.

Here's the weird thing...as the guy said in this article, this is a pure mix of things that are being developed out here (I think he called it an "Economic developer's dream"), not just a collection of smokestacks.  Noteworthy how he said that on a 7,000 acre area of development they're running OUT of industrial-use land.  And again, it's weird how Texas is promoting other cities (such as Shreveport) not in the Lone Star state in their Highway Department's Power Point presentations, such is how badly they want the twin I-49/I-69 corridors finished.

The Kansas City Southern railroad, which directly parallels NWA/FSM and U.S.71/I-49 is the shortest route between Kansas City and the Gulf of Mexico.  Years ago, the KCS bought the Mid-South railroad, which itself was a short line using track between Shreveport and Meridian, MS that the old Illinois Central had divested seemingly not seeing its significance as the shortest route between Dallas and Atlanta.  For years, the KCS was at best a railroad middleweight.

Then came NAFTA in the 90s (for the north-south KCS KC-gulf corridor) and the explosive growth of Atlanta and Texas, especially the Metroplex during the same time.  Now, the KCS is the main competitor of super-heavyweight Union Pacific for mid-America to Mexico traffic, and trains can't move fast enough on the "Meridian Speedway", which is the name for the former Midsouth trackage.  It was as though all of a sudden the railroad was "discovered" as the best corridor for the destinations it now serves.

The same thing seems to be happening with I-49 which, as mentioned earlier, is about to completely come together save for FSM-TXK (not for lack of Chaffee Crossing).  Looking at a Rand McNally map of the U.S., I don't think there is nor will ever a better Canada/mid-America-Mexico corridor than this, which inexplicably hadn't been built before now but is suddenly all the rage.  It's fallen into FSM's lap, in a way, kind of like WM/Tyson/JB Hunt fell into NWA's.

Like you said, I can see why FSM would want to try and tap into NWA's success, but then again, given their location on this future corridor, I can see why maybe they won't have to (and will let it come to them).  Something telling: the Walton Foundation recently gave $2 million to the future U.S. Marshal's museum in FSM, which is downtown and not at all part of Chaffee Crossing.  Tells me that both NWA and FSM will help butter one another's bread, as the old saying went.

OPoraquê

GrizzlyBaseball, FWIW, just found out that according to an AHTD engineer, the section of I-49 between Rogers Ave. and U.S. 71 above Greenwood will be paved (and signed, he says) by the end of next year.  The Feds have now changed regulations where a section of Interstate-grade highway can be signed as Interstate even if it doesn't currently connect at either end to an existing one.  A bit confusing, but I-49 keeps taking shape.

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 26, 2013, 10:20:56 pm

GrizzlyBaseball, FWIW, just found out that according to an AHTD engineer, the section of I-49 between Rogers Ave. and U.S. 71 above Greenwood will be paved (and signed, he says) by the end of next year.  The Feds have now changed regulations where a section of Interstate-grade highway can be signed as Interstate even if it doesn't currently connect at either end to an existing one.  A bit confusing, but I-49 keeps taking shape.

Excellent.  And the paper this mornings says Northside and Southside are both sitting at about 1,580 students each.  within 10 students of each other either way.

Jeep71

I-49 stops at Greenwood.....Hum?

Billyo62

Quote from: Jeep71 on August 27, 2013, 12:23:03 pm

It stops before Bentonville also. Missouri built it right up to the boarder of Arkansas and it just stops at Pineville.

OPoraquê

Quote from: Billyo62 on August 27, 2013, 12:29:00 pm

It stops before Bentonville also. Missouri built it right up to the boarder of Arkansas and it just stops at Pineville.

Billyo62, they're actually working on the long-awaited Bella Vista bypass to link Pineville to Bentonville around B.V.  Both Missouri and Arkansas are scheduled to have their sections completed by the end of 2016.

Jeep71, every key part of I-49 between the Canadian border/Duluth (not I-49, but might as well be) to Lafayette, LA will be finished in 3 years save: 1) the Arkansas River bridge between Alma and Rogers Ave. exit, and; 2) Greenwood to Texarkana, a.k.a. "the BIG one".

This will cost billions.  We'll see what happens to make this finish, as 10 years ago there was NO interstate (save I-540 between FSM and Bennie) between Kansas City and Shreveport.

Billyo62

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 27, 2013, 12:39:04 pm

Billyo62, they're actually working on the long-awaited Bella Vista bypass to link Pineville to Bentonville around B.V.  Both Missouri and Arkansas are scheduled to have their sections completed by the end of 2016.

Jeep71, every key part of I-49 between the Canadian border/Duluth (not I-49, but might as well be) to Lafayette, LA will be finished in 3 years save: 1) the Arkansas River bridge between Alma and Rogers Ave. exit, and; 2) Greenwood to Texarkana, a.k.a. "the BIG one".

This will cost billions.  We'll see what happens to make this finish, as 10 years ago there was NO interstate (save I-540 between FSM and Bennie) between Kansas City and Shreveport.

Sorry, six months ago nothing was happening, good to hear.

Brian G

Billyo62

spurrr

Bella vista cops have to earn a living!

Pr8hd

My two cents on a name suggestion for the new Eastside High School team.....the" Eastside Refugees" certainly has a good ring for the Chaffee location and takes into the historical perspective. I thought about the "Eastside Elvii" as well  since Elvis got his hairdo whacked here but either has a great potential for mascot costumes and sure would go right along with some of the crazy Arkansas team names. Bait, make sure this gets some play in the Fort, I think I may be on to something.  ;D

Baitshop

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas