• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A West at the Halfway Point

Started by Brian G, February 02, 2014, 04:49:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

February 02, 2014, 04:49:36 pm Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:53:46 pm by B.G.
Well, it's time for me to provide something of substance so I'll chime in with my recap of the West to this point and forecast the rest of conference play.  I'll do so for both boys and girls but more detailed for the boys.

Boys Standings:
Bentonville 7-0
Springdale 6-1
Van Buren 5-2
Fayetteville 3-4
Har-Ber 3-4
Heritage 3-4
Siloam Springs 1-6
Rogers 0-7

From an overall standpoint, this is about what you would have predicted when the conference started.  It's exactly what I personally figured as far as standings with a possible exception of SD and BHS being swapped.  But don't be fooled, this league has been very competitive and by no means can you make absolute declarations without some pause.  Crowds have been huge with the influx of talent and interest is high as so many schools are playing so competitively.

Bentonville- Whether you call it luck or not, the Tigers are living right at the moment.  They have survived with 4 close wins and you could even say 5. HB missed a shot at the buzzer that would have beaten them, Heritage a shot to tie at the buzzer, Springdale seemingly had them beat but a fraction of a second was enough to grab a huge road win and then they capped their perfect first half run by forcing a turnover with :20 left and hitting another buzzer beater this past Friday. Of course, they start 3 soph's and are led by the wunderkind known as Malik Monk.  He's a volume scorer that I would equate to Carmelo Anthony.  It's BHS's first 7-0 conference start in school history. 

Outlook: I think they slip the second time through the round robin but continue to have a great season.
Projection:  12-2

Springdale- Springdale had zero's on the clock and the lead versus BHS until a time correction and miracle shot knocked them down or they would be in the catbird seat.  But their scale is even due to a huge final minute at FHS.  They have generally handled games as they should and have cleared road hurdles at HBHS, VB and FHS as they head to the back half.  They have talent at all positions.

Outlook:  They could win out and their return game to BHS looms large.  But they can take few for granted.

Projection:  12-2

Van Buren- Started off with a 75% shooting performance @FHS and basically beat everyone they should have through the front part.  They did have BHS(make that 5 close ones) on the ropes in the final minute at VB.  They are always well coached and in the games in which their center stays out of foul trouble, they can beat anyone in this league.  They also can really shoot it.  They missed a grand opportunity versus SDale in their last game at home.  That game could have been a difference maker.

Outlook:  They seem destined for third and have to go to both BHS and SDale this time through.  They must avoid slipping against teams below them to have a shot at conference.

Projection: 9-5

Brian G

February 02, 2014, 04:49:45 pm #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:49:34 pm by B.G.
Fayetteville- Close but no cigar for the Purple thus far.  Four close games and two heartbreaking buzzer beaters have them on the playoff help line.  The story will be if they can finish off more games in the second half or dwell on their past.

Outlook:  Admittedly a bit of bias here but I think they're going to pull off more W's in the second go round.  Too close to not do better.

Projection: 8-6

Har-Ber-  Much improved and in that 3for2 playoff dilemma.  They were a missed shot at the buzzer from beating BHS and had SD down in the fourth. Win over FHS was a biggie for them.  Loss to HB was their error.

Outlook:  Probably won't play the top 2 that close again but could beat anyone else.  They need to handle SS, RHS and defeat either RHHS or FHS this time through.

Projection: 6-8

Heritage- In the midst of their best season ever but it might not be enough to get them to the playoff land.  They missed a shot at FHS in their own gym but did beat RHS(second time ever) and HB.  They have to go to FHS this time.

Outlook:  I think it comes down to their game vs HBHS as long as they beat SS and RHS again.

Projection: 5-9

Rogers:  Spotty from game to game and actually within the same game.  If they get 4 quarters together, they can beat probably 4 teams in this league.

Outlook:  Playoffs are not happening here but a conference W seems within the scope of likelihood.

Record: 1-13

I left Siloam off this as they will compete in 6A state.

Brian G

Brian G

Brian G

AT

Good write ups.

Have you seen NLR play yet? They aren't blowing teams out like I thought they would in conference. Think any of those top 3 teams could beat NLR at state?

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 03, 2014, 10:07:20 pm
Good write ups.

Have you seen NLR play yet? They aren't blowing teams out like I thought they would in conference. Think any of those top 3 teams could beat NLR at state?

I agree with you on NLR. They aren't as good as last year I don't think.

urban legend2

No NLR isn't as good as last year's team, but they are still very good and getting better from what I see. I believe they are clearly the best team in 7A and if I had to throw a team out there that could possibly push them, it'd probably be Northside. I saw the Springdale-NLR game and it was one of those games where the outcome was never really in doubt but in a one-game scenario, a lot of things can happen. I do think Springdale will be dangerous come tournament time as well.

Brian G

I'll finish my boys projections tonight.

helmethair

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 03, 2014, 10:07:20 pm
Good write ups.

No

Brian G

urban legend2

You're right, they're not, Parkview proved that. But it will be tough for anyone to knock them off in 7A. I think Northside probably matches up with them better than anyone else in the class though.

Brian G

Though you can argue overall talent is down in 7A this year, I will say that 3 point shooting is as good as it's ever been.  That being said, I think that lends itself to more "upsets".

NLR is the chalk, but not as overwhelmingly as they appeared to be before the season began.  I will say the Watkins was a bigger part of their success last year than many realized at the time.  Me included.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas