• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Bentonville Just Get Good?

Started by Brian G, July 15, 2013, 01:59:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Strong indications of major move-in.  I mean MAJOR.

Cardfan1

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on July 15, 2013, 01:59:49 pm
Strong indications of major move-in.  I mean MAJOR.

I heard we lost out.

Brian G

Quote from: Cardfan1 on July 15, 2013, 02:23:27 pm
We talking boys or girls?
I said 'major' so it's boys.

Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2013, 02:32:45 pm
I heard we lost out.
Quite a big deal if it happens.

ricepig

My question is, why Bentonville? I would think Fay would be a better choice for basketball.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2013, 05:21:08 pm
My question is, why Bentonville?

No available parking in Fayetteville.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 15, 2013, 06:05:57 pm
Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2013, 05:21:08 pm
My question is, why Bentonville?

No available parking in Fayetteville.

Well, that's better than no available desk in Benny

sevenof400

Rudehog

4 k kids to choose from and they have to go after Monk.

gojackets14

Rumor has it (I say it's a rumor, but its the truth) that Bentonville has tried on multiple occasions to hire Marcus Monk with hopes of bringing Malik with him.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: gojackets14 on July 18, 2013, 05:31:05 am
Rumor has it (I say it's a rumor, but its the truth) that Bentonville has tried on multiple occasions to hire Marcus Monk with hopes of bringing Malik with him.
I highly doubt that...What makes more sense is to give Marcus and his mom a nice job for WM or a vendor.

gojackets14

Doubt it all you want. It's the truth.

Smithian

July 27, 2013, 09:09:18 am #12 Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:10:52 am by Smithian
Please God let this happen. Please God let it be Bentonville so legions of Bentonville fans have to realize they play basketball. Please God allow events to play out so that Earl at some point has even one basketball trash talk post.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

It happened! B-ville just became a title contender.

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 31, 2013, 11:39:34 am
It happened! B-ville just became a title contender.

Yep, now they need to find 4 guys just to get out of his way.

bdubyab60

Yep can confirm. Bentonville just got a lot better.

mack

Quote from: bdubyab60 on July 31, 2013, 12:37:36 pm

Just not good enough.  The 7A title will run through lower Arkansas as it usually does.

urban legend2

Huge pick-up, one of the biggest of the year. Probably would be the biggest of the year if NLR hadn't got 3 of the top players in the state (regardless of grade) to join another top player.

DerekOxford

Jonesboro TV guy says Fayetteville and then Danny West (HawgSports.com guy) says it's all just rumor and speculation.

So what's the real story?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: mack on July 31, 2013, 02:38:43 pm

Just not good enough.  The 7A title will run through lower Arkansas as it usually does.

Lower arkansas????? Really? What 7A team is in lower arkansas that could win a state title?

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 31, 2013, 05:07:41 pm

Lower arkansas????? Really? What 7A team is in lower arkansas that could win a state title?

Anything south of I-540,, I guess

urban legend2

Quote from: DerekOxford on July 31, 2013, 04:13:11 pm
Jonesboro TV guy says Fayetteville and then Danny West (HawgSports.com guy) says it's all just rumor and speculation.

So what's the real story?

I guess we'll find out in due time.

mack

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 31, 2013, 05:07:41 pm

Dang, he beat me to it.  Any 7A team below I-540........

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Smithian on July 27, 2013, 09:09:18 am
Please God let this happen. Please God let it be Bentonville so legions of Bentonville fans have to realize they play basketball. Please God allow events to play out so that Earl at some point has even one basketball trash talk post.

Your wish is my command.

I shall have to study up on the situation. Stay tuned for pithy comments...

Brian G

RLWOLFEMAN

Let me get this straight...He's leaving the place he's lived his entire life and a school that has been to the finals three straight times (two points from winning three in a row), to go to an overcrowded football school?  EPC had it's entire team returning.  AAA is gonna get some calls when it comes out that his mom got a job working in the library at BHS.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RLWOLFEMAN on August 01, 2013, 09:57:41 pm
Let me get this straight...He's leaving the place he's lived his entire life and a school that has been to the finals three straight times (two points from winning three in a row), to go to an overcrowded football school?  EPC had it's entire team returning.  AAA is gonna get some calls when it comes out that his mom got a job working in the library at BHS.
Didn't return entire team, they lost a D1 pg/sg to ASU.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on August 02, 2013, 12:02:17 am
Quote from: RLWOLFEMAN on August 01, 2013, 09:57:41 pm
Didn't return entire team, they lost a D1 pg/sg to ASU.
Yeah Sturdivant would be gone. However had he stayed. Would have had 4 of 5 returning starters. 6 sophomores who only lost 3 games without Monk. I would say that EPC was going to be pretty darn good. And the following year even better. But now we will just have to settle for good.

EPC still has plenty of good players and will be good. How good Im not sure.

DerekOxford

But how good is Bentonville going to be? Monk is an incredible addition, but other than Tyrik Dixon they don't have much returning with Smith going to Belmont.

And 7A is a step up from 2A. Not saying that Monk can't play it (he will excel) but it will be more challenging to say the least.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DerekOxford on August 02, 2013, 11:09:06 pm
But how good is Bentonville going to be? Monk is an incredible addition, but other than Tyrik Dixon they don't have much returning with Smith going to Belmont.

And 7A is a step up from 2A. Not saying that Monk can't play it (he will excel) but it will be more challenging to say the least.

Really the gap between good 2A teams and the 7A is not that big in basketball.

bdubyab60

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 03, 2013, 12:27:47 am

Monk will do in the 7A what he did in 2A last year as a Freshman. Its not like hes playing chumps in AAU ball and he has pretty much done dominated the AAU  games he has played in the past 2 years.

2A teams have consistently beat larger schools over the past years in tournaments.

IMO Monk has the potential to be the best player to ever come out of the state of Arkansas. If he continues to develope, he is a potential one and done college player. I believe one reason the move was made is access to facilities. The toughest competition he will face is when he is working out against college players.

I dont know how good Bentonville was before he arrived, dont know what they have besides the PG that everyone talks about. But with him on your team and just a little help you have a chance to win any game. I think he had a better chance at winning a state title at EPC but I dont think he and his family are worried about state titles. its about getting ready for the future.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on August 03, 2013, 08:15:56 am

Monk will do in the 7A what he did in 2A last year as a Freshman. Its not like hes playing chumps in AAU ball and he has pretty much done dominated the AAU  games he has played in the past 2 years.

2A teams have consistently beat larger schools over the past years in tournaments.

IMO Monk has the potential to be the best player to ever come out of the state of Arkansas. If he continues to develope, he is a potential one and done college player. I believe one reason the move was made is access to facilities. The toughest competition he will face is when he is working out against college players.

I dont know how good Bentonville was before he arrived, dont know what they have besides the PG that everyone talks about. But with him on your team and just a little help you have a chance to win any game. I think he had a better chance at winning a state title at EPC but I dont think he and his family are worried about state titles. its about getting ready for the future.

I'm not sure I'd say 2A teams have beat large schoos consistently, EPC with Madden and AJ beat Jonesboro and several teams. Not many schools that size have had the talent EPC has, I'm sure there's some more. I kimd of thought he good have improved his game at Jonesboro, haha.

reggiebushfan

I'd bet that the 7a had a .800 winning % or better vs 4A or lower schools.

Monk will have some major adjustments to make. This will without a doubt be a step up for him. He will have to learn to impact the game in ways he hasn't yet.

Look at the 7A West scores. Lots of games in the 40's and 50's. Defense is played in that league. He'll be the best player in the league, but he won't be untested by any stretch.

He will go against against the best coaching in the state, who will have very good game plans to stop him. They'll know exactly his weakness and force him to play to it. I'm guessing he better get REAL good win his perimeter shot.

He will also go against taller and more developed players on average.

He won't dominate like be did at EPC. He will be a better college player for playing in the 7A vs. Arkansas' smaller school classifications.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Monk will be the best player in that conference and top 2-3 in the class, and him being a sophomore. The competition and coaches he faces during the summer is higher than what he will face in the 7A, i promise.

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 03, 2013, 01:29:03 pm
Monk will be the best player in that conference and top 2-3 in the class, and him being a sophomore. The competition and coaches he faces during the summer is higher than what he will face in the 7A, i promise.

I agree, and I wouldn't put the coaching in the 7A West up there, outside of maybe one or two.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2013, 09:05:08 am

I'm not sure I'd say 2A teams have beat large schoos consistently, EPC with Madden and AJ beat Jonesboro and several teams. Not many schools that size have had the talent EPC has, I'm sure there's some more. I kimd of thought he good have improved his game at Jonesboro, haha.
The good 2A schools hang with larger classifactions on a regualr basis. The NEA after the first round you never know how will win it. And I understand the arguments about more consistent competition in the bigger leagues. But after seeing what Monk has done the past 2 years to elite players from all over the country. One of 42 players invited to olympic camp. Out of the thousands of players in the country he finished 16th. he may have an adjustment period but not on the basketball court.

Brian G

Pick_DA_EAGLES

neds

Posters , posters . . . U are missing the best part in this 'transfer' and that is the geography of the move. This puts UofA in a great position for Monk's services in three years.
Anderson is the real guy smiling in this move.

ricepig

Quote from: neds on August 04, 2013, 05:26:02 pm
Posters , posters . . . U are missing the best part in this 'transfer' and that is the geography of the move. This puts UofA in a great position for Monk's services in three years.

Maybe, it can't hurt any, but winning games and making the tournament will help more.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ricepig on August 04, 2013, 05:45:42 pm

Maybe, it can't hurt any, but winning games and making the tournament will help more.

IF, the UofA doesnt win games and make the tourny, mike anderson will not matter in the recruiting of monk, because we will have a new coach.

Brian G

Oh I figure we all know that's potentially a good thing.

He'll have all kinds of opportunities to connect with current players, fans and the ability to see them play on a frequent basis.

If his mom stays in NWA, he'll be closer to her for at least a year longer than was likely before.

urban legend2

So has this move been officially confirmed?

mack

Quote from: bdubyab60 on August 03, 2013, 01:51:19 pm
Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2013, 09:05:08 am

The good 2A schools hang with larger classifactions on a regualr basis. The NEA after the first round you never know how will win it. And I understand the arguments about more consistent competition in the bigger leagues. But after seeing what Monk has done the past 2 years to elite players from all over the country. One of 42 players invited to olympic camp. Out of the thousands of players in the country he finished 16th. he may have an adjustment period but not on the basketball court.

A good 2A school will get hung consistently by a good 7A school.  A good 2a school will hang with the middle tier 7A schools and beat the lower ones at times.

Monk will be one of the best players in 7A when he steps on the BV court the first time.  I just hope the U gets both Kevaughn and him......

bdubyab60

Quote from: B.G. on August 04, 2013, 08:42:44 pm
Oh I figure we all know that's potentially a good thing.

He'll have all kinds of opportunities to connect with current players, fans and the ability to see them play on a frequent basis.

If his mom stays in NWA, he'll be closer to her for at least a year longer than was likely before.
MA better stay on him if he wants him thats for sure. To my understanding UofA is not their first choice. Not saying they arent in the running

bbfan89

The chances of the U of A getting Monk range between slim and none.  Anderson's system does not place the emphasis on the individual and he has no track record of putting people in the league after one year.  All of the Razorback supporters who think that this move favors their team are simply being delusional.  Those who are making decisions for this fantastic recruit have one long term goal in mind and I don't believe that the U of A can help them accomplish that goal.  Hopefully, he will continue to excel and realize his dream.  Just because someone is born in a state does not mean it is mandatory for them to attend college there.  Just like his move from EPC to Bentonville, this is a business decision and what they see is their best opportunity to achieve their goal.  No one can fault anyone for that.  With all of that said, you can pretty much guarantee that if John Calipari is still in Kentucky in three years so will a great Arkansas player.  Facts are facts.  National championships and an opportunity to be an instant millionaire will be the overriding factors in his college choice.

bdubyab60

Quote from: bbfan89 on August 05, 2013, 11:19:31 am
The chances of the U of A getting Monk range between slim and none.  Anderson's system does not place the emphasis on the individual and he has no track record of putting people in the league after one year.  All of the Razorback supporters who think that this move favors their team are simply being delusional.  Those who are making decisions for this fantastic recruit have one long term goal in mind and I don't believe that the U of A can help them accomplish that goal.  Hopefully, he will continue to excel and realize his dream.  Just because someone is born in a state does not mean it is mandatory for them to attend college there.  Just like his move from EPC to Bentonville, this is a business decision and what they see is their best opportunity to achieve their goal.  No one can fault anyone for that.  With all of that said, you can pretty much guarantee that if John Calipari is still in Kentucky in three years so will a great Arkansas player.  Facts are facts.  National championships and an opportunity to be an instant millionaire will be the overriding factors in his college choice.
Exactly

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bbfan89 on August 05, 2013, 11:19:31 am

The business decision of moving to finish his high school career in bentonville, will hardly play a part on his next school choice. He will not be recruited ANY harder at b-ville than he would have been had he stayed at e.p.c. He will be recruited BECAUSE of what he does in the summer. if you think they moved to b-ville to enhance his recruiting position, you are delusional. With what he has done during summer ball, he would have all the major schools coming to whatever school he chose to play at, even if it was a class A school.

neds

I recall seeing the 'business decision' term used in another topic, maybe a year or so ago.
It being about business doesn't favor Anderson, I agree.

Brian G

August 05, 2013, 02:51:11 pm #49 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:03:58 pm by B.G.
There is no doubt he has a better chance of going to the UA by living in NWA for three years.  I personally trust someone close that says the situation is more wide open than most believe.  That being said, there can only be a positive to it from the perspective of a Hog fan.

And to get on record:
1. I want him to be a Hog.
2. I, nor anyone, know's if he'll be a Hog.
3. There's 1-2 years before he begins to decide for real as coaches change at many schools.
4. No doubt Coach A needs to win more to make the UA more attractive.
5. I will enjoy watching him play more now that I ever would have and am appreciative of that.
6. This decision and it's aftermath will not preoccupy my life.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas