• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playing to Lose

Started by Brian G, February 23, 2015, 09:16:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

1-Adam-12

February 23, 2015, 09:33:55 pm #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:36:09 pm by 1-Adam-12
Their attitude was all wrong.  Come on, who wouldn't want a shot at taking out a nationally ranked team?  Even though they had lost to them before, who knows they might catch them on a night that goes horribly wrong for the other team.  Punishment deserved IMO.

Made me think about Booneville-Huntsville girls, North regionals 2007.  Huntsville 24-2, Booneville 10-16.  Things went horribly wrong for Huntsville.  Booneville won 29-28.  So you never know what will happen.

Missco

In Tn four teams from each district goto regionals..However only two from regionals makes it to state...They play district consolation games to determine 3 and 4 seeds. These two teams just were very obvious with what they were doing. It happens a lot in 3/4 games in Tn. Tn only has three classes....

Rulesman

Don't 4 teams from 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A District tournaments go to Regionals in Arkansas, too? We have the potential for the same issue.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on February 23, 2015, 09:33:55 pm
Their attitude was all wrong.  Come on, who wouldn't want a shot at taking out a nationally ranked team?  Even though they had lost to them before, who knows they might catch them on a night that goes horribly wrong for the other team.  Punishment deserved IMO.

Made me think about Booneville-Huntsville girls, North regionals 2007.  Huntsville 24-2, Booneville 10-16.  Things went horribly wrong for Huntsville.  Booneville won 29-28.  So you never know what will happen.

The Prairie Grove boys team that same year gave Huntsville its only loss. They lost 79-39 @ Huntsville then beat them 3 weeeks later in the district championship. Anything can happen so why go to that extreme to avoid a team.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

This used to happen in baseball all the time in the regional consolation game because of the way the bracket was setup at state.  It seems like (please correct me if I'm mistaken) that the 1/4 games were Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and the 2/3 games were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday.  Especially coaches with a great ace could play for the 4 in the regional consolation and win state by throwing that guy 3 out of 4 games.  I know Elkins won state in '04 or so doing that (not saying they got the 4 on purpose, but they threw one pitcher for 3 games in state).  It's a little easier to do in baseball because you can "throw off" without encouraging anyone to tank the game.

I understand long term vs short term goals, but I'm more of the mindset of momentum and always doing your best (even as a coach).  I'm not questioning any coach that would do that because he is only doing what he thinks is best for his team, but I would not.

sevenof400

At an arms length, it would seem the structure of the tournament should be changed so this sort of thing is not rewarded.  Winners only advance would seem to address that...

MA

Im just trying to envision girls shooting on the wrong goal (Knowingly) and the other team trying to defend them. I can't stop laughing at the stupidity.

WPWells

I've thought about this. What if they each played the wrong way and played hard for that? Each played towards the wrong goal. Obviously there would essentially be a 10-second shot clock, and it would basically be make-it-take-it. Would there be anything else?

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on February 27, 2015, 08:25:17 am
I've thought about this. What if they each played the wrong way and played hard for that? Each played towards the wrong goal. Obviously there would essentially be a 10-second shot clock, and it would basically be make-it-take-it. Would there be anything else?
That would be an awesome game to watch. But I can't imagine the refs being able to keep things from getting confusing, as most can't seem to keep up with a normal game.

MikeDieselâ„¢

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas