• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TUE UPDATE: ALL CLASSES MOVED BACK AGAIN

Started by Brian G, March 03, 2014, 11:51:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

March 03, 2014, 11:51:40 am Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:24:17 pm by B.G.
All the updated schedules are posted.
7A and 4A were to start on Wed and remain unchanged.
6A, 5A, 3A, 2A and 1A all were to start Tuesday and have pushed back one day.
Those pushed back one day will now have different times on Sat and finish on Sunday.

Silver lining:  With the Sunday finishes, the normal practice of clearing the arena between semi's will likely not happen.  Thus, no second admission charge.

Brian G

The work now is on the schools to figure out a way to get to their games regardless of their local issue with weather.  I do think it's the right decision and each school has been given ample time to work towards a safer solution for themselves.  I would expect that any school with a huge unsolvable issue would have until Tuesday afternoon to say so.

This whole thing was handled pretty well(up to now) and done in a timely manner. AAA gets two thumbs up for now.

On another note, a personal thanks to all of those people who help put these things on at their gym.  It's a lot of preplanning and adjusting is just not that easy when you have volunteers taking off from their jobs.

B.G.

Lions84

Safety for the Fans , Players , and Officals is always #1 in my book.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on March 03, 2014, 11:55:13 am
The work now is on the schools to figure out a way to get to their games regardless of their local issue with weather.  I do think it's the right decision and each school has been given ample time to work towards a safer solution for themselves.  I would expect that any school with a huge unsolvable issue would have until Tuesday afternoon to say so.

This whole thing was handled pretty well(up to now) and done in a timely manner. AAA gets two thumbs up for now.

On another note, a personal thanks to all of those people who help put these things on at their gym.  It's a lot of preplanning and adjusting is just not that easy when you have volunteers taking off from their jobs.

B.G.

It will be interesting to see what the roads look like by soonish tomorrow for those that have an early game on Wednesday, they'll need to be traveling then.

Elvis

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2014, 02:17:46 pm
Quote from: B.G. on March 03, 2014, 11:55:13 am

B.G.

It will be interesting to see what the roads look like by soonish tomorrow for those that have an early game on Wednesday, they'll need to be traveling then.
Yes I agree. The teams in the northern part of the state are still snowed in. If you are like us no school....no games..... I imagine the teams coming or going to NW Ark it is really tough. I think AAA needs to postpone until next week. Taking the chance of a bus running off the road isn't worth a basketball game.

Lions84

Schools in Eastern Ark are closed too from what I am heard on Facebook last night and this morning.

Brian G

Moving entire events is not an easy thing.  I can think of a dozen new issues.

The no school no play thing is not an issue for State.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on March 04, 2014, 10:03:24 am

It's still a mess here in Jonesboro, 3 1/2-4" of hard backed sleet is not melting fast. They were just starting on clearing the parking lot at the school, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 6A pushed back a day, but it may look a lot better by mid-afternoon.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on March 04, 2014, 10:03:24 am

One thing is for sure, we need some serious thawing today (and quickly) or there will be a lot of pressure to push games back another day. 

Cabotred

Have the teams in the Northern part of the state been able to practice? Yesterday or today.......

MomaLion

Clarendon has been out of school yesterday and today. I was out a little while ago and the roads are still very bad.

HorseFeathers

Don't know bout about the rest of western arkansas. . . . But the main roads from russellville to hector were patchy ice this morning. . . .expect them to be mostly clear tonight when i go home . . . .

redandgray

Roads in NEA are solid sheets of ice still.

Brian G

I think they're leaning hard to making these games start on Wed.

This is JMO mind you but the collateral changes will be very tough.  There are some statewide tests for juniors on Tuesday and the intent is to get the tournaments in by then.  But the usage of arenas, availability of officials(how have other jobs), hotels and overlap with other school events make the calendar tight.

I know each area has their own nuances of travel.  But the schools themselves tend to be in better shape as far as roads go.  Most travel will occurs on main roads and migrate to better roads.  It might mean going a different route.

If kids can get to their respective schools on their own, I'm guessing the bus will roll towards their state destination.

Disclaimer:  I know I live in a more populated area but we are going to Conway today prior to our game Wed night just to get it done.

Good luck everyone!

ricepig

6A pushed back to Thursday start, brackets coming soon on AAA site.

SNWA

JusT Heard That 6A Has Been Moved Back Another Day To Start On Thur And End On Monday.

ricepig

Quote from: SNWA on March 04, 2014, 01:00:36 pm
JusT Heard That 6A Has Been Moved Back Another Day To Start On Thur And End On Monday.

End on Tuesday, it's a 5 day tournament.

redandgray

Smart to move it. Main roads from NEA are horrid and that includes interstates. National guard being brought in.

ricepig

All state tournaments will now start on Thursday.

Brian G

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2014, 01:02:49 pm
Quote from: SNWA on March 04, 2014, 01:00:36 pm

End on Tuesday, it's a 5 day tournament.
The normal coaches meeting for all Finalists is normally Sunday.  Now it will be Wed with some teams playing Thursday.

Brian G

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on March 04, 2014, 01:10:48 pm
Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2014, 01:10:28 pm
All state tournaments will now start on Thursday.

All????

Per @AAA Twitter

Revised brackets posted within the hour.

Brian G

Brian G

Lanny

All State Tournament Games to Start on Thursday

Because of winter weather which has left the state covered with either snow or ice throughout the week, the Arkansas Activities Association has postponed the opening round of ALL state tournament games with the official starting day now set for Thursday.

Originally, state tournament play was scheduled to start for Classes 6A, 5A, 3A, 2A and 1A on Tuesday and for 7A and 4A on Wednesday. On Monday the AAA postponed all scheduled games for Tuesday and moved the games to Wednesday.  The AAA decided on Tuesday to delay the opening round one more day, stopping play on Wednesday.

If weather permits, Class 7A and 4A will play tournament games on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. The schools scheduled to advance to the State Finals will meet in the AAA office on Tuesday, March 11th.

Tournament play for Class 6A, 5A, 3A, 2A and 1A will be on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. The schools scheduled to advance to the State Finals will meet at the AAA office on Wednesday, March 12th.

To download the brackets with the new time changes and dates, go to the AAA website at www.ashaa.org. The brackets can be downloaded or viewed from our main page.

Tournament Sites:

Class 7A – Conway High School

Class 6A – Jonesboro High School

Class 5A – Alma High School

Class 4A – Lonoke High School

Class 3A – Charleston High School

Class 2A – Hampton High School

Class 1A – North Arkansas College, Harrison

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas