• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roster Limits

Started by Brian G, February 17, 2013, 09:53:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

It's common in smaller classes to move them up when their JH season ends.  Then often it bumps a roster player from all year.

ricepig

If Jonesboro moves a freshman up in basketball, they are good, they don't move them up to sit on the bench. Usuallh if they are that good, they played all year with them like Ross did 2 years ago, however, Pointer didn't move up until after Jr High play was over. He did start most of the games in the state tournament after he moved up.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2013, 08:33:50 pm
It's common in smaller classes to move them up when their JH season ends.  Then often it bumps a roster player from all year.
Some might argue that if a Freshmen can beat you out, then you deserve to get bumped.

I seriously doubt a coach is going to move up a freshmen, who is only going to sit the bench, and leave behind an upperclassmen. If that freshmen is moving up, and bumping an upperclassmen, its because he's for real and can help the team win. 

BTW, is it only 15 in the book, or only 15 can dress out? If you can dress 25, but only put 15 in the book, then I don't know what you're complaining about. Nobody is going 16 deep.

bulldog42

I agree with the point that B.G. made is the question is not so much the 15 man limit, but why have no limit all year and then have one during the post season.  If you are going to have a limit you need to be consistent and have it all year.  It would then be up to the coach and local school on how they want to handle.  If they want to allow everyone on the team with the understanding that only 15 can be in the books.  Again the main question is the inconsistency with the AAA, you either have a roster limit or you don't.

ricepig

I thought most coaches already kept it at the 15 level, I don't guess I've ever seen a team with more than 15 on the roster, or 10 on the bench. I guess if you are afraid of hurting someones feelings and carried 18, it's good with me. I thought most schools had tryouts in the spring and set the varsity/JV rosters then.

bulldog42

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2013, 10:53:07 am
I thought most coaches already kept it at the 15 level, I don't guess I've ever seen a team with more than 15 on the roster, or 10 on the bench. I guess if you are afraid of hurting someones feelings and carried 18, it's good with me. I thought most schools had tryouts in the spring and set the varsity/JV rosters then.
I know a lot of them try to, especially at the bigger schools.  But I do know in our area a lot of the smaller schools don't have try outs or cuts and there are teams that have 20 kids or more, especially at the non football schools.  I think that 15 is plenty and I don't think it hurts at all to cut kids, because you are not helping anyone by carrying 20 kids.  On teams like that kids don't even see the court during practice.  Again the big thing is the AAA needs to be consistent and either have a limit or not have a limit. 

TheMercenary

"I know a lot of them try to, especially at the bigger schools.  But I do know in our area a lot of the smaller schools don't have try outs or cuts and there are teams that have 20 kids or more, especially at the non football schools.  I think that 15 is plenty and I don't think it hurts at all to cut kids, because you are not helping anyone by carrying 20 kids.  On teams like that kids don't even see the court during practice."

Northside High School has 27 girls on the team...obviously not all varsity.
I think they do pretty well with more than 20 kids.

ricepig

How many dress out for varsity games?

TheMercenary

B. Kirk

Try standing there 15 minutes before a game, trying to figure out which senior that has broken his back for your program in practice for 3 years you are going to leave out of the book for the first round of the state tournament.

It's not fun.

Busman

Why are we not discussing the limit of 12 cheerleaders on the floor? That is the real injustice!

ricepig

Quote from: Busman on February 22, 2013, 11:15:58 am
Why are we not discussing the limit of 12 cheerleaders on the floor? That is the real injustice!

Yes, I know we must have enough to spell JONESBORO HURRICANE, or so it seems........

rammer

Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2013, 08:27:21 pm
Why move up 9th graders if there is not any room on the 15 man roster? It's obvious they aren't going to work themselves in to the rotation, why move them up? How many facilities have room for more than 15 players and 4 coaches on their bench? I'm sure some om the newest facilities do, but do all? I don't have any problem with bringing the whole school, but you need to have room and accommodations for them.

If a 9th grader is good enough, he is probably already playing on the high school team. However, coaches are always looking to the future and are likely to move 9th graders up and let them get a little experience playing on the JV team.

ricepig

Quote from: rammer on February 22, 2013, 02:10:50 pm
Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2013, 08:27:21 pm
Why move up 9th graders if there is not any room on the 15 man roster? It's obvious they aren't going to work themselves in to the rotation, why move them up? How many facilities have room for more than 15 players and 4 coaches on their bench? I'm sure some om the newest facilities do, but do all? I don't have any problem with bringing the whole school, but you need to have room and accommodations for them.

If a 9th grader is good enough, he is probably already playing on the high school team. However, coaches are always looking to the future and are likely to move 9th graders up and let them get a little experience playing on the JV team.

Pointer was good enough to move up last year but wanted to play with his JR High as they hadn't lost a game in three years, I think they lost their last game. He moved up and was starting by state tournament and scored 27 in the semi-finals.

ATU

I don't no if 15 is the limit or not but i went to the 3a toun.tonight and a team dressed 17 players and won by 30 and played  all 17.

Ranger

!5 should be the limit for the whole season anyway. No way can a coach hold a productive practice with 20 kids. I dont know many parents that want to spend the time and money to watch "little johnny" play 28 seconds.

Brian G

Their choice.

Compare it to football where the time requrement in some cases is longer and they never see the field.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on February 26, 2013, 07:43:22 am
Their choice.

Compare it to football where the time requrement in some cases is longer and they never see the field.

File a lawsuit, that seems to be the choice against the AAA and schools. If you can't cut it to 15, play a heavy JV schedule for your underclassmen and carry your upper classmen or Sr's on your varsity.

Brian G

If you play full games, JV games count against the varsity limit of games.

I'm not the litigious type. ;)

ricepig

I guess you, or the kids after #15, are out of luck. I don't see any reason for an expanded roster if the coach so desires, but I guess it never has been an issue worthy of putting it before the AAA.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ranger on February 26, 2013, 05:02:51 am
!5 should be the limit for the whole season anyway. No way can a coach hold a productive practice with 20 kids. I dont know many parents that want to spend the time and money to watch "little johnny" play 28 seconds.

or just do like my parents did and don't bother showing up anyway?

I seen a 1A school play 15 players the other night...they rotated around 10 in their line-up and played the bottom 5 in the last few minutes...

MikeDieselâ„¢

Quote from: B.G. on February 26, 2013, 10:42:51 am
If you play full games, JV games count against the varsity limit of games.

I'm not the litigious type. ;)

I don't guess I understand this.  Are you saying that if your school plays a complete JV game, it counts against the number of games your varsity can play?

Brian G

If they play 8:00 minute quarters it's supposed too. ;)

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on March 02, 2013, 12:26:56 am

Please explain, the only thing I have ever heard was the total participation of a player in quarters he could play in a V/JV DH.

Brian G

There are limits to the number of games a varsity program can play.  I'm speaking of full fledge, clock, score, fouls...everything.

If you have a jayvee game, it should be shorter quarters to avoid having it count as one of the varsity games.  I think it is lightly enforced but this is why you do not see jayvee tournaments(which I wish they had).

Varsity quarters are 8:00, jayvee should be 7:00.

The 5 quarter rule is a seperate deal.

Rulesman

I've been at this a long time and can honestly say I've never seen a JV game played using 8 minute quarters.

ricepig

Well, I understand about games, I guess that's why JV baseball games are 5 innings. Truthfully, I haven't watched a JV game since I watched my teammates 35 years ago, but we called them B games back then. I figure they keep up with that about as well as they keep up with the number of games some small schools play in baseball.

Airedale12

Simple solution. List your 15 players in the book. If #16 enters the game, take your technical and move on. Willing to bet that in any of the conference, regional or state tournement games, the 16th player from a team did not get playing time when the game was still contested. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the coach does not want to hurt momma's feelings, then he can put lil Johnny in the game the last minute and take his team technical.

1-Adam-12

There is a limit for volleyball as well at the state tournament.  That one is 18 players.  And those that are over the 18 are not allowed to dress out and are not listed in the program. 

Booneville had 21 players on the team by the time state rolled around (there were 22 at the start but one was injured during the season).  It was a hard thing for our coach to have to tell three players they could not dress out for state.  They did make the trip and acted as managers, filmers, photographers and the like.

We will have that same problem next year if we make state (and we should), only more so.  We are anticipating between 25-28 girls on the roster for next season.

ricepig

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on March 02, 2013, 01:50:04 pm
There is a limit for volleyball as well at the state tournament.  That one is 18 players.  And those that are over the 18 are not allowed to dress out and are not listed in the program. 

Booneville had 21 players on the team by the time state rolled around (there were 22 at the start but one was injureWwwd during the season).  It was a hard thing for our coach to have to tell three players they could not dress out for state.  They did make the trip and acted as managers, filmers, photographers and the like.

We will have that same problem next year if we make state (and we should), only more so.  We are anticipating between 25-28 girls on the roster for next season.

Do you not play a JV or "B"" schedule? Lots of schools have more than 18 for VB, or 15 for BB, but only dress the regulation for varsity games/matches, even then there are cuts.

1-Adam-12

March 02, 2013, 04:24:20 pm #80 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:47:39 pm by 1-Adam-12
We play lots of JV matches.  In fact when the player got injured last season, we called upon a sophomore who had been doing well in JV to take her place and she did way beyond what we expected of her.

We do dress everyone for every match in the regular season so in case there is a blowout, we are able to get most of those players in the match.

We do not cut anyone.  If we had, the girl who will probably be our libero next season would have been gone after her 8th grade season where she barely even got into the JV matches.  Everyone gets a chance.

Volleyball has become a pretty big deal here.  Last season there were 105 girls that participated in volleyball 7 through 12.

MikeDieselâ„¢

Quote from: B.G. on March 02, 2013, 12:26:56 am

ok.  I know we play 7:00 quarters most of the time for JV.  Well, when we don't play two 20 minute halves with the clock running nonstop.

3A-2 Fan

Quote from: Airedale12 on March 02, 2013, 01:21:22 pm
Simple solution. List your 15 players in the book. If #16 enters the game, take your technical and move on. Willing to bet that in any of the conference, regional or state tournement games, the 16th player from a team did not get playing time when the game was still contested. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the coach does not want to hurt momma's feelings, then he can put lil Johnny in the game the last minute and take his team technical.

Actually, I don't think this works because the official AAA roster only includes 15.  If they are not on the official roster, it is an ineligible player and thus could subject the team to a forfeit and not just a technical.  I may be wrong but that was the way it was explained to me.  I have never seen a team take a technical in this situation and you would think you would see that if this was an option.

Tribefan77

Several teams took technicals in blowout wins or losses so kids could play in the state tournament. Coaches can dress as many as they want. Small schools do it more than big schools and usually don't schedule jv games because people won't play them at smaller classifications

woods

Our coach never dresses more than 12 out for varsity. Usually he has 10. His rule is if he can't look down the bench and think you can play you don't need to be sitting there.

Rulesman

Quote from: woods on March 04, 2013, 07:36:09 am
Our coach never dresses more than 12 out for varsity. Usually he has 10. His rule is if he can't look down the bench and think you can play you don't need to be sitting there.
Glad to see his approach is "all about the kids." ::)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas