• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Finals being moved for 2013

Started by Brian G, March 03, 2012, 10:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsfan302

Quote from: Rulesman on June 07, 2012, 01:39:50 pm
Five bucks says attendance will be at a 20 year low.

I'll add another $5 to Rulesman's deal also,

Romeo

Moving games to Barton Coliseum is like dumping the girl next door for an old wrinkled up grandmother. No matter how they want to justify it this makes no sense.

ScottFaldon

In the April 2009 issue of the AAA Bulletin there's a front-page story entitled "Summit Arena Delivers, But Future Sites Remain Cloudy."

In the second paragraph contains this sentence: "Barton Coliseum was a great starting point, but it was best suited for rodeos rather than basketball."

sevenof400

You know that AAA is only worried about which bid brought them the most $$$$.  Students and fans be dang.

The AAA needs some light from the FOI laws applied.   It's time for the inner workings of this organization to be scrutinized.   

Sportsfan302

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 07, 2012, 05:39:47 pm
You know that AAA is only worried about which bid brought them the most $$$$.  Students and fans be dang.

The AAA needs some light from the FOI laws applied.   It's time for the inner workings of this organization to be scrutinized.

The AAA will light in the pocket books when the gate is figured on this decision

RD™

Maybe they will host a State Rodeo.

Arkansas Activities Association seen below

Forrest City H

At least all the fans will be covered if they need a liquor store or a bail bondsman.  They are both conveniently located on just about every block in that area now. 

jacket3

This is one of most stupid things I've seen triple A do yet. Even if our team makes it to the championship game I'll be hard press to go. Yes I do believe your right the att. will be probably at a all time low. :o

1-Adam-12

I went to Barton for an NHL exhibition game in '98 and even then things were not really up to par. 

It was all about the money, as usual.

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 07, 2012, 12:16:55 pm
Since Barton got basketball does that mean Ray Winder will get baseball?

Seriously, I didn't even know Barton was used for anything other than livestock shows any longer.

Well put Scott and you did a great column on it.

Sportsfan302

Has anybody heard AAA say anything about it? Reasons beyond the obvious?

Rulesman

Quote from: Sportsfan302 on June 10, 2012, 09:53:40 am
Has anybody heard AAA say anything about it? Reasons beyond the obvious?
Rumor has it there were no other bidders except ASU.

sevenof400

And to add to that, I believe the Barton Coliseum bid was about double the $$ of the Jonesboro bid. 

With AAA, $$$ is all that matters. 

CathywithaC

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 10, 2012, 12:13:57 pm
And to add to that, I believe the Barton Coliseum bid was about double the $$ of the Jonesboro bid. 

With AAA, $$$ is all that matters.
and don't forget the all important Hospitality Suite!!  The Good Ole Boys love their free snacks!!

ScottFaldon

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on June 10, 2012, 09:26:13 am
I went to Barton for an NHL exhibition game in '98 and even then things were not really up to par. 

Seriously, I didn't even know Barton was used for anything other than livestock shows any longer.

Thanks.

And if y'all will forgive me for shamelessly self-promoting, here's the column ...

http://swtimes.com/sections/sports-columnists/scott-faldon/commentary-barton-decision-boggles-mind.html

DerekOxford

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 10, 2012, 12:59:20 pm
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on June 10, 2012, 09:26:13 am

Thanks.

And if y'all will forgive me for shamelessly self-promoting, here's the column ...

http://swtimes.com/sections/sports-columnists/scott-faldon/commentary-barton-decision-boggles-mind.html

Great column, Scott!

AirWarren

Should have kept it in Hot springs. Wow.

Bay4Life

They couldn't keep it there unless they moved the weekend. I think it was a good place because it was close to the central part of the state were Pine Bluff and Jonesboro could be out of the way. It wouldve been better for another venue in LR to get it. I gues Barton was just willing give out the check with the most 0's.

bbfan89

If it is true that ASU asked for a $70,000 fee for the three days, they are just as greedy as the AAA.  ASU could have used this event to promote their campus and bring in potential students and student athletes.  They could have partnered with the chamber of commerce and local businesses to bring the tournament to Jonesboro, which has a perfect state championship facility, which will be even nicer next year due to renovations.  I have attended NEA tournament games for years and the atmosphere far surpasses anything that even the Summitt Arena can provide.  I'm sure that Bud Walton would also be a great facility but ASU, in particular, missed out on a golden opportunity to promote their university.  As for the AAA, not much more can be said.  If they are going to continue the three day championship format in a venue that is undersized, they are only continue to hurt themselves.  It is ridiculous to host championship finals in an arena and have to expect fans who pay to enter to give up seats to the fans of the next team playing.  This could be prevented by simply taking the event to a larger facility.  As for Barton Coliseum, what a complete and total joke.  Like previous posters, I believe attendance will suffer greatly.  Of course, you know that close family, friends, and supporters of participating schools will show their loyalty to their teams by enduring the subpar facility known as Barton Coliseum.  One way to send a message to the out-of-touch AAA would be to boycott concessions and merchandise sales.  We are not going to hurt our kids by not showing up.  But, we should take the opportunity to send a message by boycotting concessions and merchandise sales at all AAA sponsored events.  Maybe if we show some solidarity as fans and send them a message, they might put a little more thought into their decisions.  As it currently stands, they hold all of the power and, until we send them this message, nothing will ever change.  The AAA needs to be less concerned with profit margin during the finals and more concerned about providing a memorable experience for those kids who have worked so hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

sevenof400

Just to be clear, ASU asked to keep the first $70K of ticket revenue.  The rest would go to AAA. 

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: Bay4Life on June 11, 2012, 11:15:11 pm
They couldn't keep it there unless they moved the weekend. I think it was a good place because it was close to the central part of the state were Pine Bluff and Jonesboro could be out of the way. It wouldve been better for another venue in LR to get it. I gues Barton was just willing give out the check with the most 0's.

Pine Bluff is just as much Central Arkansas as Hot Springs is.

CathywithaC

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on June 12, 2012, 01:53:33 pm
Quote from: Bay4Life on June 11, 2012, 11:15:11 pm

Pine Bluff is just as much Central Arkansas as Hot Springs is.
last check it was actually closer to LR  than Hot  Springs.

Bay4Life

Quote from: bbfan89 on June 12, 2012, 11:46:51 am
If it is true that ASU asked for a $70,000 fee for the three days, they are just as greedy as the AAA.  ASU could have used this event to promote their campus and bring in potential students and student athletes.  They could have partnered with the chamber of commerce and local businesses to bring the tournament to Jonesboro, which has a perfect state championship facility, which will be even nicer next year due to renovations.  I have attended NEA tournament games for years and the atmosphere far surpasses anything that even the Summitt Arena can provide.  I'm sure that Bud Walton would also be a great facility but ASU, in particular, missed out on a golden opportunity to promote their university.  As for the AAA, not much more can be said.  If they are going to continue the three day championship format in a venue that is undersized, they are only continue to hurt themselves.  It is ridiculous to host championship finals in an arena and have to expect fans who pay to enter to give up seats to the fans of the next team playing.  This could be prevented by simply taking the event to a larger facility.  As for Barton Coliseum, what a complete and total joke.  Like previous posters, I believe attendance will suffer greatly.  Of course, you know that close family, friends, and supporters of participating schools will show their loyalty to their teams by enduring the subpar facility known as Barton Coliseum.  One way to send a message to the out-of-touch AAA would be to boycott concessions and merchandise sales.  We are not going to hurt our kids by not showing up.  But, we should take the opportunity to send a message by boycotting concessions and merchandise sales at all AAA sponsored events.  Maybe if we show some solidarity as fans and send them a message, they might put a little more thought into their decisions.  As it currently stands, they hold all of the power and, until we send them this message, nothing will ever change.  The AAA needs to be less concerned with profit margin during the finals and more concerned about providing a memorable experience for those kids who have worked so hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

+1. Great post.

OlGuyWicker

I am wondering how much money they will lose from poor attendance because of the move. 

Sportsfan302

I'm going to wear cowboy boots just case I step in some left over from other events

Busman

Everyone forgets what a big job hosting one of these things is.  UALR, ASU, UCA and UA will be right in the middle of conference tournaments and don't have the extra time or staff to turn there gym over for two days of practice and two days of games.  Hot Springs got caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place with the timing of the Sun Belt, and Pine Bluff's economy is such it just couldn;t make the committment.  The options came down to Verizon and Barton in order to have a facility that holds at least 5,000 and Vrizon has something in the works for that day.

sevenof400

One question / option that I have not heard explored was this: why is AAA stuck on this one specific weekend? 

What would it have hurt to move the basketball playoffs and finals later one week for one year? 

AAA is needlessly being a slave to their own calendar when they could just as easily have adjusted the basketball playing season by one week.   

Rulesman

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 18, 2012, 10:54:54 am
One question / option that I have not heard explored was this: why is AAA stuck on this one specific weekend? 

What would it have hurt to move the basketball playoffs and finals later one week for one year? 

AAA is needlessly being a slave to their own calendar when they could just as easily have adjusted the basketball playing season by one week.   
...or even a few days? True, the crowds tend to be better on the weekends, but what would stop them for playing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday of the following week. And don't use the "being out of class" excuse. Except for the Saturday games, the participants are already out of class.

Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. Think outside the bun... er, box!

Bay4Life

I know most kids wouldn't mind to miss some school, they've already missed some if their state or regional was far away. The practices can be done at a high school but if things are planned and they don't want to move their schedule for the finals weekend than they have to find a place for it. I wish they could've tried to work more and not made a decision.

Sportsfan302

When you look at other states, most all of their hs state finals are held at a college facility.

Bay4Life

Rulesman

Quote from: Bay4Life on June 18, 2012, 09:18:29 pm
Was Fayetville not an option?
I remember reading somewhere that they chose not to submit a bid.

Googlymoogly

Fayetteville did not submit a bid because FHS will most likely be hosting the Class 7A state tournament in its brand spanking new arena. And since it would be the high school folks and not the U of A people that would be doing all the work for the Finals at Bud Walton the following week, they just did not want to do it.

Bay4Life

Hopefully the arena looks nice then. At least them not wanting to do basically host again is a good excuse.

Googlymoogly

Plus, that is the final regular season week for the Razorbacks and there might be a chance they would be playing a home game that Saturday. Their schedule usually comes out later in the summer.

Head Lion

o quote Mr. Hand from Fasttimes at Rdgemont High, "AAA are you on dope?"

gatecrasher

Looking forward to the finals coming back to Summit Arena next season.

DerekOxford

Quote from: gatecrasher on March 03, 2013, 10:49:09 pm
Looking forward to the finals coming back to Summit Arena next season.

You mean you're not excited about going Back to Barton?

gatecrasher

I'm stingy. I live 5 min from Summit Arena. :D

sevenof400

Quote from: Head Lion on November 10, 2012, 09:33:43 am
o quote Mr. Hand from Fasttimes at Rdgemont High, "AAA are you on dope?"

Who ordered the double cheese and sausage?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas