• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Finals being moved for 2013

Started by Brian G, March 03, 2012, 10:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

It appears that the run of basketball finals being played at the Summit in Hot Springs will end this year.  The Sun Belt tournament will align/conflict with the Arkansas State Basketball Championships next year and that facility will not be available.

Very soon, bids will be made to host at least the 2013 event somewhere else.

It might just be one year and then back to Hot Springs.

Bud Walton Arena is one of the possibilities for next year.  I'm sure Verizon/Alltel will be too.

freethrow

Somewhere in Central Arkansas.

Verizon
Jack Stephens Center - UALR
Etc.

neds

Quote from: B.G. on March 03, 2012, 10:16:14 am
It appears that the run of basketball finals being played at the Summit in Hot Springs will end this year.  The Sun Belt tournament will align/conflict with the Arkansas State Basketball Championships next year and that facility will not be available.

Very soon, bids will be made to host at least the 2013 event somewhere else.

It might just be one year and then back to Hot Springs.

Bud Walton Arena is one of the possibilities for next year.  I'm sure Verizon/Alltel will be too.

The 'perfect venue' would be Jack Stephens center @UALR
Central to the state, good parking, good seating . . nothing bad about it.

Brian G

I really do not think Fayetteville can host is next year.  They are already likely to host the 7A and that's quite a bit of work over a 2 week stretch.  Not to mention planning itself.

bballref

Why not play everything @ UCA? Central located and good size

Brian G

If they want it, they have to bid on it.  We can all project places until the cows come home, but it really only matter who does bid and their ability to put on the event.

CathywithaC

Past experience indicates Verizon is way too greedy.  It's a losing proposition for the host.

neds

Quote from: CathywithaC on March 04, 2012, 01:19:17 pm
Past experience indicates Verizon is way too greedy.  It's a losing proposition for the host.

+1 , but so is the AAA and due to that I doubt either UCA or UALR will put anything together for a bid.  We may end up in Searcy next year or Pine Bluff

gatecrasher

That blows. I thoroughly enjoyed the event in my backyard.

suprstr30

Quote from: gatecrasher on March 06, 2012, 06:17:27 pm
That blows. I thoroughly enjoyed the event in my backyard.
Well since everyone was so highly impressed with our new place at El Dorado ill tell our AD to put in for the finals to be here! Not in you're back yard but at least it would be in your home town.  Lol

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Coach DePriest, PA on March 06, 2012, 07:22:59 pm
Alma?
While not centrally located Alma's show is always hard to beat. I honestly don't know why anybody would want to host it with the AAA getting almost all of the gate...

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 07, 2012, 03:02:41 pm
Alma?
almost all of the gate...
Cute how you said "almost".  I'm sure whoever bids on state finals will likely have to bid 100%. Fact is that no one hosts better than Alma and it probably rivals any high school venue in the the country.  Problem is they are probably tired of working their tails off without getting money for it (outside concessions).

neds

Quote from: Coach DePriest, PA on March 07, 2012, 08:12:59 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 07, 2012, 03:02:41 pm
Alma?
almost all of the gate...
Cute how you said "almost".  I'm sure whoever bids on state finals will likely have to bid 100%. Fact is that no one hosts better than Alma and it probably rivals any high school venue in the the country.  Problem is they are probably tired of working their tails off without getting money for it (outside concessions).

A broken model when you do all the work and you make near ZERO!

Brian G

Seating and hotels would not be good with Alma.  Of course Fort Smith would benefit but that would defeat the reason Alma would go to the effort.

AirWarren

UALR would be a good venue I believe.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: AW on March 07, 2012, 09:43:28 pm
UALR would be a good venue I believe.
True, but I'm pretty sure that UALR won't host.  I've been wrong before, though.

FreeMoney

This whole thing could implode from the greed of the AAA. This part of the State Championship experience should be on the fans and the players playing for the ultimate prize. Greed will one day be the undoing of the AAA.

Rulesman

Quote from: FreeMoney on March 08, 2012, 10:19:55 am
This whole thing could implode from the greed of the AAA. This part of the State Championship experience should be on the fans and the players playing for the ultimate prize. Greed will one day be the undoing of the AAA.
So how do you expect them to operate? I haven't found a money tree growing anywhere around here?

DogsWin7

I'm with Coach DePriest, PA. - Alma

The AAA will never be undone.  If not for rules, everything would be in shambles including games and where to host them.  imo

AB™

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 12:22:49 pm
I'm with Coach DePriest, PA. - Alma

The AAA will never be undone.  If not for rules, everything would be in shambles including games and where to host them.  imo

Would Alma seat enough for some of the games?  I think it seats around 3,000 and I now I've been to state championship games in the past that had a lot more than that.

MA

Alma Wouldnt hold enough people. UAFS wouldnt either. Hot Springs is really the perfect place IMO. But outside of that... Maybe UCA? I dont think LR is a good idea personally. But I dont like LR so it might be bias lol I love the 3A State Tournament last year in Searcy but Idk if it would be able to handle the crowd. It barely handled the 3A. Fayetteville would be nice but I think it would lose some of the atmosphere only being about half full. I know whoever gets it will work hard to put on the best show possible. So Im not too worried about it.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

AB™

Quote from: krik6 on March 08, 2012, 02:31:11 pm
Alma Wouldnt hold enough people. UAFS wouldnt either. Hot Springs is really the perfect place IMO. But outside of that... Maybe UCA? I dont think LR is a good idea personally. But I dont like LR so it might be bias lol I love the 3A State Tournament last year in Searcy but Idk if it would be able to handle the crowd. It barely handled the 3A. Fayetteville would be nice but I think it would lose some of the atmosphere only being about half full. I know whoever gets it will work hard to put on the best show possible. So Im not too worried about it.

Right, how much does Hot Springs hold?  All the games I went to last year it was at least half full if not closer to 3/4 full.  I know it seats more than Alma.  Our gym is nicer but for the state finals you need somewhere that holds more than 3,000.

DerekOxford

PA Pressbox

UALR would have an auxilary gym available for warming up.

Rulesman

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

If Alma only holds 3,000 ish, it would be too small. Just looked at the AAA Bulletin for April 2011 and the attendance for the Alma/Sylvan Hills game was 6,363.  According to the Summit Arena website, the seating capacity is 6,000 for basketball.  I think I saw UALR's was 5800.

Brian G

AB™

Quote from: Coach DePriest, PA on March 08, 2012, 07:21:35 pm
If Alma only holds 3,000 ish, it would be too small. Just looked at the AAA Bulletin for April 2011 and the attendance for the Alma/Sylvan Hills game was 6,363.  According to the Summit Arena website, the seating capacity is 6,000 for basketball.  I think I saw UALR's was 5800.

Don't guess you know anywhere to see attendance records for state championship games do you?  I went to the 5A State Finals in 2004.  West Memphis and one of the Little Rock schools were playing I'm pretty sure there was spillover into the upper deck and thought I saw somewhere or heard somewhere that the attendance was more than 10,000 but I can't remember the exact number.  Seems like there was a lot at the Fayetteville/West Memphis game the next year, too. 

FreeMoney

Quote from: Rulesman link=topic=119888.msg2572442#msg2572442 date=
Quote from: FreeMoney link=topic=119888.msg2572410#msg2572410 date=
So how do you expect them to operate? I haven't found a money tree growing anywhere around here?
Start by paying the staff what they are worth. Hint-much lower than the current salary schedule. secondly the state finals ought to be a break even affair not a maximum money making venture for Taylor Walters Brodell and Company Inc. 

3 Dollar

Quote from: PA Pressbox on March 08, 2012, 06:16:42 pm
UALR would have an auxilary gym available for warming up.

No need.  Warming up prior to tip-off is 15 minutes maximum.

DogsWin7

Alma's tornado shelter is a gym.  Could be used for warm-ups also..

bdubyab60

Quote from: AB™ on March 08, 2012, 08:35:24 pm

Don't guess you know anywhere to see attendance records for state championship games do you?  I went to the 5A State Finals in 2004.  West Memphis and one of the Little Rock schools were playing I'm pretty sure there was spillover into the upper deck and thought I saw somewhere or heard somewhere that the attendance was more than 10,000 but I can't remember the exact number.  Seems like there was a lot at the Fayetteville/West Memphis game the next year, too.
AB  i saw the attendance records for the games last night. Right at 3000. They were saying on the radio that the games are scheduled to hold the attendance down at HS so that they didnt have over crowding. that place was filling up by the time I left paragould and Greenwood brought some huge crowds. So whoever gets it needs to have room for these bigger schools with at least an 8000 plus areana I would think.

Photo

I suggest Arkansas State's Convocation Center.
Great parking. Plenty of hotels. Good highways for most schools.

AB™

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 09, 2012, 02:22:25 pm

AB  i saw the attendance records for the games last night. Right at 3000. They were saying on the radio that the games are scheduled to hold the attendance down at HS so that they didnt have over crowding. that place was filling up by the time I left paragould and Greenwood brought some huge crowds. So whoever gets it needs to have room for these bigger schools with at least an 8000 plus areana I would think.

Somewhere that holds around 10,000ish would be ideal.  Like I said, I know that West Memphis/Little Rock whoever game in 2004 pretty much filled the entire lower-deck and had some upper-deck spill over.  I know crowds in the 10,000 range are very rare, but it should be an option.  When yo had 10+ thousand in Alltel/Verizon it still felt semi-empty because there was still several thousand empty seats.

AB™

March 09, 2012, 08:38:02 pm #36 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:11:33 pm by AB™
Just noticed they have the attendance for the games on the live feed link.

Here's what we've got so far.

7A
Boys:  5,011 | LR Hall vs. Fayetteville | FRI 7:00
Girls:  3,753 | Cabot vs. FS Northside | SAT 2:30 

6A
Boys:  2,852 | LR Parkview vs. Jonesboro | FRI 3:30
Girls:  3,728 | LR Parkview vs. Russellville | FRI 5:15

5A
Boys:  5,639 | Sylvan Hills vs. LR Mills | SAT 4:15
Girls:  2,941 | Greenwood vs. Paragould | THUR 7:00

4A
Boys:  5,438 | Clarksville vs. Pulaski Academy | SAT 7:45
Girls:  3,629 | Star City vs. Farmington | SAT 11:00

3A
Boys:  Earle vs. Charleston (attendance not listed on site)
Girls:  Live feed link wasn't working

2A
Boys:  2,319 | EPC vs. Junction City | THUR 5:15
Girls:  1,898 | England vs. EPC | THUR 3:30

1A
Boys:  4,019 | Mammoth Springs vs. Sacred Heart | SAT 12:45
Girls:  1,609 | Wonverview vs. Kingston | FRI 8:45

Rulesman

I recall that information being printed in the state finals program. The record is 14,000ish at Altel (now Verizon) between WM (and Parkview, I think). Second place was in the 8,700 range: LR Christian and Dollarway a couple of years later.

jeffybaby

14,000 for the West Memphis/North Little Rock game in 2004. NLR in finals in 1st year at Alltel. All the stars lined up perfect for that to happen.

AB™

March 13, 2012, 03:36:01 pm #39 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:37:38 pm by AB™
Quote from: jeffybaby on March 13, 2012, 01:41:13 pm
14,000 for the West Memphis/North Little Rock game in 2004. NLR in finals in 1st year at Alltel. All the stars lined up perfect for that to happen.

Thank you.  I knew it was something crazy like that.  The entire lower deck was pretty much filled to capacity and I'd say the spillover into the upper deck was at least 3 or 4 rows deep in most places.

Where'd you get that info?  I'd like to know what the attendance was for the Alma/Mills game in 2005 was.  It seemed like most of the lower-deck was full.  Don't remember seeing anyone in the upper deck but the lower was pretty packed.

R. A.™

Talking to some over at Hot Springs during finals, several sites did come up. UA, ASU, UCA , Pine Bluff. Verizon was also mentioned but word is they want a guaranteed amount of cash each day of the finals.

Hot Springs wants it back, leaving many to believe that there may be a one year deal signed.

Brian G

Something is going to have to be done with seating.  I'm tired of people staying in the playing team sections after their game is done and for hours before their game starts.

Ackward.

AB™

Quote from: B.G. on March 13, 2012, 09:39:29 pm
Something is going to have to be done with seating.  I'm tired of people staying in the playing team sections after their game is done and for hours before their game starts.

Ackward.

Yeah, that was one thing that bugged me last year.  There was that awkward period between games when fans of the team playing before your team who were sitting in the designated seats in the lower section not leaving or moving.  Not to mention it was a big mess with everyone trying to get position in the aisles waiting for the other fans that were there for the previous game to clear out.  There's not much extra spillover room at Hot Springs for people to come and stay for multiple games.

R. A.™

Quote from: B.G. on March 13, 2012, 09:39:29 pm

Ackward.

General admission, only other way is to do indivudual game tickets, but that would be an nightmare for all involved and require game sessions, which is something I would like to see, 

R. A.™

Hearing Barton Coliseum is in the mix

Romeo

Quote from: R. A.™ on June 06, 2012, 11:11:25 pm
Hearing Barton Coliseum is in the mix

AAA today has officially awarded Barton Coliseum the state basketball finals for 2013. BARTON COLISEUM!!!!!!! OMG

sevenof400

Does anyone know for a fact if any other bids were submitted?

I wonder if the price of admission includes a kevlar vest....

ScottFaldon

Since Barton got basketball does that mean Ray Winder will get baseball?

Seriously, I didn't even know Barton was used for anything other than livestock shows any longer.

LMath

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 07, 2012, 11:41:14 am
Does anyone know for a fact if any other bids were submitted?

Hearing that Jonesboro was the only other bid. Should have gone there is Verizon or the Stephens Center couldn't host in Little Rock....

Rulesman

Five bucks says attendance will be at a 20 year low.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas