• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spotting the Ball for Throw In's

Started by Brian G, January 01, 2012, 09:53:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Alright, time to address a major pet peeve of mine.

What is the exact criteria used for where the ball goes on dead ball inbound plays?   Is there a chart?  Is it structured?  Is it influenced by crowd/bench?

In my years of following basketball I see so many variations in enforcement that I know it's not being enforced correctly all the time.  (for this argument, I'll exclude summer ball refs).

Example:

#1:   Player is trapped just as he crosses half court near the sideline(in front of student section).  Ruling I saw:  Ball crossed to other side to inbounds by score table.

#2:  Team on Offense is swinging the ball around the perimeter, player loses control of ball near top of the circle.  He dives down, gets it and calls timeout.  His body is on the three point line at the top of the key.  Ruling:  Ball inbounded under the basket.  Really?

I have others.

The reason I asked is twofold.  First of all, inbounding the ball on a spot inbounds can be more difficult in certain situations for a variety of reasons.  Moving it can matter.  Secondly, all teams have better scoring chances on set inbounds plays under their goal.  Improperly spotting the ball under the goal gives a team a higher chance of scoring than if they had inbounded somewhere else.

ltb759

From where the free throw line meets the lane line, draw a straight line to where the end line meets the sideline. Anything that occurs below this imaginary line or in the semi circle is taken to the end line.

Brian G

So trap a guy on the bench sideline and if below that it goes underneath if he calls time?  Why would that be?  It it rolls out there you throw it in from there.

ltb759

I neglected to say that my post was dealing with play#2  in your O.P.  If play is stopped outside of that imaginary line/semi circle the inbound spot would be the closest sideline.

Brian G

Understood.  For that answer to that situation, I see various locations in games.

ltb759

Either lack of rules knowledge or laziness is the culprit. Neither is excusable.

3 Dollar

On scenario #1:  I see no problem with this inbound spot as long as both coaches know where the ball is bein inbounded during the timeout.  Normally, you would not take it to the scorer's table side, but away from the scorer's table.  It should however be inbounded closest to the spot in which the timeout was called.

On scenario #2:  Most officials will tell you that generally it is an unwritten rule but, when then violation, timeout, foul, etc... occurs inside the 3 point arc, you take in out on the baseline.

True Fan

I saw one the other night in a district tournament. Player was halfway between the 3 pt line and half court. She started a drive as the coach called TO. She drives to the basket with whistles blowing and makes a shot with 6.9 seconds left in a close game. After discussion, they put 8 seconds on the clock. Then inbound it under the basket. Seemed like they got their time out, time back, and position.

Rulesman

Quote from: True Fan on February 08, 2012, 12:15:03 am
I saw one the other night in a district tournament. Player was halfway between the 3 pt line and half court. She started a drive as the coach called TO. She drives to the basket with whistles blowing and makes a shot with 6.9 seconds left in a close game. After discussion, they put 8 seconds on the clock. Then inbound it under the basket. Seemed like they got their time out, time back, and position.
I would have no problem with them putting 1.1 seconds back on the clock if there was definite knowledge the TO was called with 8 seconds left. That said, exactly where on the floor was the dribbler when the time out was granted? Your explanation of her location is not very clear.

True Fan

Halfway between the three point line and mid court. He was asking for time when she made her first step.

I had no problem with the time.

Rulesman

Quote from: True Fan on February 09, 2012, 10:37:32 am
Halfway between the three point line and mid court. He was asking for time when she made her first step.
I understand, but the location of the ball when the time out is requested vs. when it is granted may be 2 different locations. That's what I'm trying to determine.

True Fan

Whistle sounded before she made her second step. She was stiil well outside the arc.

Rulesman

Quote from: True Fan on February 09, 2012, 02:34:07 pm
Whistle sounded before she made her second step. She was stiil well outside the arc.
Then the nearest spot would be the closest sideline.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas