• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

I posted this in the 2017 outlook. But it is time to turn the page. To 2018.

Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you don't know who that is then you're an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and it's recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if it's "leftovers" from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.

sevenof400

IMO - the thing about Arkansas is they need to walk before they run.  They are not (and never have been) a power in the SEC which to me means the methods they have used until now have been unsuccessful in attaining the goal of being competitive in the SEC, and then successful on a wider scale.

Arkansas could not and can not out-Alabama Alabama and it was folly to believe they could. 

Arkansas must find a different offensive approach - hopefully one no one else in the conference uses - and exploit this for all it is worth.   

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2017, 02:04:54 pm
IMO - the thing about Arkansas is they need to walk before they run.  They are not (and never have been) a power in the SEC which to me means the methods they have used until now have been unsuccessful in attaining the goal of being competitive in the SEC, and then successful on a wider scale.

Arkansas could not and can not out-Alabama Alabama and it was folly to believe they could. 

Arkansas must find a different offensive approach - hopefully one no one else in the conference uses - and exploit this for all it is worth.   

If he get's us looking like Clemson....or at least somewhat like Clemson......I will be thrilled.

cuckoobird

Having a different approach was the biggest reason I was a kevin kelly fan for the job. I know, I know, everyone says his approach won't work in big time college football. I'm sure the same was said and still being said it won't work in hs football either just like they are still saying analytics won't work in Major League Baseball even though Boston and Oakland has proved them wrong. I'm willing to give the new guy a shot for a few years but after year 3 when I say it isn't working, y'all better believe me this time unlike you did with BB 😜

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 06, 2017, 02:54:50 pm
Having a different approach was the biggest reason I was a kevin kelly fan for the job. I know, I know, everyone says his approach won’t work in big time college football. I’m sure the same was said and still being said it won’t work in hs football either just like they are still saying analytics won’t work in Major League Baseball even though Boston and Oakland has proved them wrong. I’m willing to give the new guy a shot for a few years but after year 3 when I say it isn’t working, y’all better believe me this time unlike you did with BB 😜

Bret just didn't understand the region. This aint the Midwest with cornfed folks. You gotta recruit speed. Not sloths.

bdubyab60

Morris has hit the ground running in recruiting. We will see how it pays off. And truthfully some good looking recruits with long offer lists. Some long shots but he put the offers on the table.

So we will find out

AirWarren

BOHANON TO BURKS.............................................TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!!!!!!!

*music to my ears.....

RZback

Every eye in Arkansas will be watching what happens next.  First step is recruiting and we need a lot of new recruits.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on December 06, 2017, 04:39:54 pm
BOHANON TO BURKS.............................................TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!!!!!!!

*music to my ears.....

Treylon has established a good relationship with Barry Lunney, which could hurt Arkansas if he's not retained. However, Morris's offensive style might be intriguing to Burks.

sportsguy80

Quote from: AirWarren on December 06, 2017, 04:39:54 pm

*music to my ears.....
Yes it is! I'm not totally thrilled about either of the hires but I've always believe in giving people a chance. Like you said along with what I've been telling those close to me, I would have been contacting Stoops. Just to see the look on Saban and the OU fans face would have been priceless.

bdubyab60

Supposedly Bohannon is secretly committed to LSU. Maybe we can still get him. Would be nice for him to have a shot here. He's got all the tools but would need the right coach.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/morris-we-like-to-score-fast/

Here is a little interview

bdubyab60

And look up Grant Gunnell. QB who may considering us now since Morris got hired.

nuttinbuthogs

Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 07, 2017, 10:04:06 am
Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.

That's the problem with Arkansas. We want this "established old, Arkansas connection guy" or Les Miles instead of a coach that has is younger, energetic, and has an offense we have been BEGGING FOR, for 5 years now.

nuttinbuthogs

I didn't suggest an old person, just more experience and a winning record.  I'm also not picky about the kind of offense just one that wins games.  Just as an example I know Leach has that type offense and has a lot of experience and a winning record.  I'm pretty sure Nick Saban is older 66, and he seems really energetic.  As for Les Miles, he has a winning record, a national title and Ive seen him on the sideline, he's energetic.

The Future

I don't think he was anyone's first choice. But that could just mean we are in for a huge surprise.
I mean no one wanted Tom Brady at one point...

I am impressed with his resume. I am impressed with his ability to take what he has and make it better.

But more importantly I'm impressed with his leadership. Watch his first meeting with the team and you'll see a man in charge who knows what he wants done, knows how to do it, and believes he can do it. He definitely doesn't seem like he's just throwing stuff out there to make us feel good or make us chuckle like Bielema did. Bielema was like the kid running class president who didn't care about academics but promised vending machines, no homework, and a pool table in the cafeteria. Morris seems to be a great fit.

Or.... he could be a bust. Another 5 years of mediocre ball at best.
Who knows?
But I agree we need to give him a shot. People need to let go of the previous 5 years and not let that determine whether or not they like Morris.

Way too early to make any predictions of how many wins or losses. Once we see who he brings in as his staff and once the off-season gets in gear, well get a better glimpse. But I'll go down and say if we go 6-6 with a low bowl game, I'll definitly call that an improvement and a good starting point. Miles better than Bielemas first 2 seasons here.

bleudog

2015    SMU    2–10    1–7    T–5th (West)         
2016    SMU    5– 7    3–5        5th (West)         
2017    SMU    7– 5    4–4        4th (West)   

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7358&s=295489

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 07, 2017, 10:28:06 am
I didn't suggest an old person, just more experience and a winning record.  I'm also not picky about the kind of offense just one that wins games.  Just as an example I know Leach has that type offense and has a lot of experience and a winning record.  I'm pretty sure Nick Saban is older 66, and he seems really energetic.  As for Les Miles, he has a winning record, a national title and Ive seen him on the sideline, he's energetic.

Arkansas fans are the most fickle people.

We had a man with a big time record in a power 5 conference that could not get his offense going.

Now we have a Malzahn like offensive mind, a Dabo Sweeny type offensive mind, Mike Leach offensive mind, Bob Stoops offensive line, and Mike Gundy offensive mind and we find some way to complain. This man recruited DeShawn Watson and helped Clemson get where they are. He helped Tulsa get to 10-3.

Look at the SMU record all you want. That program is garbage. And was garbage. If indeed Arkansas has the money, facilities, draw, etc etc that is clamored about over and over and over again......he will have the tools to make this a high powered offense. You're not a loser if you can win three 4A state titles in Texas.

I wasn't thrilled either at first. But looking at his connections and history, we have a good guy to get us back. Especially in Texas. He appreciates the razorbacks of the SWC days and he knows this program can get back to that with recruiting and getting the best Arkansas kids on his staff, Louisiana kids, and Texas kids.

Les Miles.....good grief. The man can't find a quarterback if it hit him in the face. And he couldn't get over the hump with deep Louisiana talent.

There will never be another Nick Saban. He is a Paul Bear Bryant type of coach. So good luck finding another one of those.

Romeo

I was skeptical, but after watching both press conferences, I like our AD and coach hires.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 07, 2017, 10:43:26 am
I was skeptical, but after watching both press conferences, I like our AD and coach hires.

And he passed the hog call test.....unlike Dana what's his face...........

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 07, 2017, 10:43:26 am

Time to get in the left lane, pop the clutch, and put the pedal to the floor........

Love it.

Jacketman65

Everyone starts somewhere!  There are no automatic Nick Sabans or Bear Bryant types out there,  they started slowly and built their programs.  At some point in their careers some AD took a chance on them.  Who was Lou Holtz when he was hired at Arkansas?  Chad is here, so give the man a chance!

bleudog

December 07, 2017, 11:04:45 am #22 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:06:25 am by bleudog
Quote from: AirWarren on December 07, 2017, 10:49:30 am
And he passed the hog call test.....unlike Dana what's his face...........

Didn't Dana what's his face take his basketball team to the final four last year?

WPWells

Again, Georgia didn't hire an established coach and look where they are

AirWarren

Quote from: bleudog on December 07, 2017, 11:04:45 am
Didn't Dana what's his face take his basketball team to the final four last year?

Don't know. Don't care.

Dude is dead to me.

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on December 07, 2017, 11:11:15 am
Again, Georgia didn’t hire an established coach and look where they are

BUT BUT BUT....we should have hired Nutt as AD......and Tommy T as head coach.......they have the ARKANSAS established CONNECTION!

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: AirWarren on December 07, 2017, 10:43:20 am
Arkansas fans are the most fickle people.

We had a man with a big time record in a power 5 conference that could not get his offense going.

Now we have a Malzahn like offensive mind, a Dabo Sweeny type offensive mind, Mike Leach offensive mind, Bob Stoops offensive line, and Mike Gundy offensive mind and we find some way to complain. This man recruited DeShawn Watson and helped Clemson get where they are. He helped Tulsa get to 10-3.

Look at the SMU record all you want. That program is garbage. And was garbage. If indeed Arkansas has the money, facilities, draw, etc etc that is clamored about over and over and over again......he will have the tools to make this a high powered offense. You're not a loser if you can win three 4A state titles in Texas.

I wasn't thrilled either at first. But looking at his connections and history, we have a good guy to get us back. Especially in Texas. He appreciates the razorbacks of the SWC days and he knows this program can get back to that with recruiting and getting the best Arkansas kids on his staff, Louisiana kids, and Texas kids.

Les Miles.....good grief. The man can't find a quarterback if it hit him in the face. And he couldn't get over the hump with deep Louisiana talent.

There will never be another Nick Saban. He is a Paul Bear Bryant type of coach. So good luck finding another one of those.

Obviously you don't like Miles.  That's fine. However if Morris does as well as Miles as a HC he will be very successful.  Miles is 141 - 55 career as HC.  He has a National Title.
Below is the Miles coaching tree, he obviously attracted and helped to develop top coaches.
You can not like him all you want but the history is obvious.

Mike Gundy: Oklahoma State (2005–present) – Miles' offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2001–2004.
Jimbo Fisher: Florida State (2010–present) – Miles' offensive coordinator at LSU from 2005–2006.
Bo Pelini: Nebraska (2008–2014), Youngstown State (2015–present) – Miles' defensive coordinator at LSU from 2005–2007.
Larry Porter: Memphis (2010–2011) – Miles' running backs coach at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002–2009. Porter currently serves as running backs coach at North Carolina under head coach Larry Fedora, a Mike Gundy protege (Fedora served as Gundy's offensive coordinator from 2005–2007).
Bradley Dale Peveto: Northwestern State (2009–2012) – Defensive assistant under Miles from 2005–2008, currently serving at (2017) Ole Miss as special teams and linebackers coach.
Todd Monken: Southern Mississippi (2013–2015) – Wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator under Miles at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002–2006.
Frank Wilson:

Mijally2

I like the hire because of the Texas recruiting connections and the fact he has coached players in college who are having a lot of success in the NFL specifically at receiver. 

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 07, 2017, 11:53:01 am
Obviously you don't like Miles.  That's fine. However if Morris does as well as Miles as a HC he will be very successful.  Miles is 141 - 55 career as HC.  He has a National Title.
Below is the Miles coaching tree, he obviously attracted and helped to develop top coaches.
You can not like him all you want but the history is obvious.

Mike Gundy: Oklahoma State (2005–present) – Miles' offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2001–2004.
Jimbo Fisher: Florida State (2010–present) – Miles' offensive coordinator at LSU from 2005–2006.
Bo Pelini: Nebraska (2008–2014), Youngstown State (2015–present) – Miles' defensive coordinator at LSU from 2005–2007.
Larry Porter: Memphis (2010–2011) – Miles' running backs coach at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002–2009. Porter currently serves as running backs coach at North Carolina under head coach Larry Fedora, a Mike Gundy protege (Fedora served as Gundy's offensive coordinator from 2005–2007).
Bradley Dale Peveto: Northwestern State (2009–2012) – Defensive assistant under Miles from 2005–2008, currently serving at (2017) Ole Miss as special teams and linebackers coach.
Todd Monken: Southern Mississippi (2013–2015) – Wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator under Miles at Oklahoma State and LSU from 2002–2006.
Frank Wilson:

I know enough about Miles to know......Don't want him at Arkansas.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: AirWarren on December 07, 2017, 11:18:01 am

BUT BUT BUT....we should have hired Nutt as AD......and Tommy T as head coach.......they have the ARKANSAS established CONNECTION!

I don't even care about the Arkansas connection, that's a requirement that creates problems with hiring.  That was a spoken box on the checklist by those organizing the search. 

Romeo

I think we already have our quarterback of the future as well. Chad Morris's son is a quarterback out of Highland Park.

OB11

Quote from: Romeo on December 07, 2017, 12:08:22 pm
I think we already have our quarterback of the future as well. Chad Morris's son is a quarterback out of Highland Park.

If he did end up playing at Arkansas, and was a scholarship caliber player, would they use a scholarship on him? Being a University employee, I would imagine his kids would get a sizable discount on tuition.

nuttinbuthogs

I'm not a Miles fan but the guy is successful and would not have been a bad hire, not the best hire.  Chad Morris is a proven successful High School coach, college Offensive Coordinator.  Remains to be seen if he is going to be a highly successful Head Coach at this level. I see the "history" and it is in his favor.  Just have to prove it at the SEC level.

beach bum

14-22  says enough.... Arkansas wanted average.

nastynice

"Better have some speed!  You either have speed or you're chasing speed and you don't want to be chasing speed!"  -Morris

bleudog

Quote from: Romeo on December 07, 2017, 12:08:22 pm

Is his son the same age as Jerry Jones' grandson?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on December 07, 2017, 05:33:23 pm
14-22  says enough.... Arkansas wanted average.

You're being to obvious.....or you really are a call in show regular

nastynice

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 07, 2017, 07:20:30 pm
You're being to obvious.....or you really are a call in show regular
I think beach bum is secretly Bo Mattingly, or visa-versa.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nastynice on December 07, 2017, 07:28:37 pm
I think beach bum is secretly Bo Mattingly, or visa-versa.

He should call into drive time sports and be rick Schaeffer's arch nemesis

footballfan-tastic

December 07, 2017, 08:16:48 pm #39 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:29:53 pm by footballfan-tastic
Lets just hope the rumors of which you refer are just rumors.  At any rate, Coach Morris needs to hit the ground running to gather as many great recruits as he can. Hogs need help and need it fast.  I think his offensive scheme can cause some good talent to buy in but what about defense, anybody know anything about his plan there because we don't play much of that. 

beach bum

Everybody board the Hog train for your daily dose of Hog delight...

bdubyab60

He's offering kids the previous staff was passing on. Seems like risk taker.

We were probably out of the mix on Bohannon. Truthfully we were well behind from the start. I know he didn't fit the scheme BB ran. But an athlete like that you have to give him a shot. Then to wait as long as he did to offer.

Gotta take some chances and seemed BB didn't want to especially when it came to grades. I see no problem with getting to a kid early and saying hey we want you but you gotta get these grades up. Just seemed BB would wait so long to make even that kind of contact. These kids would have several offers before we would offer

Romeo

Probably the most intriguing remarks in Coach Morris press conference is that he plans to use all 10 assistant coaches to recruit Arkansas. In the past, its usually been one assistant that has recruited in-state players. 

Romeo

Quote from: bleudog on December 07, 2017, 06:55:38 pm
Is his son the same age as Jerry Jones' grandson?

He's class of 2020 so that would probably make him 15 or 16. He's only 5-9 right now so I doubt that he would be a major prospect.

Lionheart88

Quote from: AirWarren on December 06, 2017, 01:40:26 pm
Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you don't know who that is then you're an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and it's recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if it's "leftovers" from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.

1. Mike Leach  More money?  A chance to coach in the SEC?  Basically the same reasons Morris would come.  He certainly has a better record as a head coach than Morris; more wins, better winning percentage, more winning seasons, more experience as a head coach.

2. Lane Kiffin  I don't like Kiffin.  But he does have experience coaching in the SEC, which Morris doesn't.  He has a better handle on what's required to win in the conference than, say, Bret Bielema did when he came to Arkansas.  Also, he's done a heck of a job with FAU.  They were 3-9 for three years under Charlie Partridge, and then 10-3 and won a conference title in Kiffin's first year.  No "three years to get a winning season" here.  Conference USA isn't really a bad conference.  It's about on a level with the American, where SMU plays.

3. Mike Norvell  He went to school in Arkansas and his wife's from here.  If you want Arkansas connection he's got it.  I don't think that should hurt his candidacy, but if you don't think having Arkansas ties matters you just don't.  Agree to disagree there.  His results at Memphis speak for themselves, though he did walk into a good situation.

4. Chris Peterson  Yeah, I don't think Peterson's a good fit, nor do I think he'd leave unless it's for money or to coach in the SEC.  He is, however, a proven winner at a higher level than Morris has been a head coach at.

5. Kevin Sumlin  Yes, he was coaching in our division last year.  In 6 years coaching in the SEC West, he went to 6 bowls (ok, one pening this year that *he* won't be at.  You know what I mean.).  That's an upgrade from what we had.  Why pass on a known quantity to gamble on an unknown?  He also has more experience recruiting Texas, which is supposed to be one of Morris's main selling points.

6. Les Miles  He has a National Championship, not to mention over a decade coaching in the SEC West.  He's one of the few who's beaten Nick Saban more than once.  Could he do it at Arkansas?  Maybe not, but why should we think this unproven nobody stands a better chance?  If you want someone with a history of success, Miles is, pardon the pun, miles better.  I don't really like him, but he's not a scumbag like Petrino.  If he wins I'll live with it.

7.  Mike Gundy  Yeah, probably not coming.  But did we even ask?  We could have at least thrown Gus-level money at him and seen what happens.

8.  Skip Holtz  No, I'm not kidding.  Why not?  I know you don't care about connections, but he's a Fayetteville High School grad, went there 7th-12th when Lou was our coach.  In his first head coaching job, he took Connecticut to their first ever 1-AA playoff appearance, went to 4 bowls in 5 years at East Carolina (and won the CUSA twice), stumbled a bit at USF, then took LA Tech to 4 bowls in 5 years and 2 CUSA title game appearances.  He almost beat Arkansas in Fayetteville last year without his starting QB.  He's a proven winner at a level comparable to the level Morris is working at.  He has experience recruiting the entire eastern seaboard and Louisiana.  18 years of head coaching experience. 11(maybe 12, depends on this year's bowl) winning seasons.  An over .500 record as a head coach.  9 seasons of 8+ wins a teams that are taking money games.  Morris can't say any of those things.  What's the issue here?

9.  Brent Venables  It wouldn't shock me if he was willing to come just for the money and chance to be a head coach.  Look at Alabama's DC jumping to Tennessee.  That said, I don't want an assistant as our head coach.  No HC experience is a deal breaker to me.  Being a head coach is too different from being a coordinator.  Too many good coordinators fail to find success as a head coach (So far, Morris is an example of that).

With the exception of Venables and maybe Norvell (who walked into a good situation), every one of these guys has some clear, proven upsides Morris doesn't.  Maybe Morris will do well.  I hope, for the state's sake, that he does.  But I don't think he was the best possible hire, or even the best available hire.  Why take a gamble on an unproven coach when there were so many better options?  Right now, we need stability, not to take chances.  If this goes badly, it could set us back another 4-5 years, and then the program will really be in a dire situation.  None of us want that.  Why gamble?

sportsguy80

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 07, 2017, 10:37:46 pm
1. Mike Leach  More money?  A chance to coach in the SEC?  Basically the same reasons Morris would come.  He certainly has a better record as a head coach than Morris; more wins, better winning percentage, more winning seasons, more experience as a head coach.

2. Lane Kiffin  I don't like Kiffin.  But he does have experience coaching in the SEC, which Morris doesn't.  He has a better handle on what's required to win in the conference than, say, Bret Bielema did when he came to Arkansas.  Also, he's done a heck of a job with FAU.  They were 3-9 for three years under Charlie Partridge, and then 10-3 and won a conference title in Kiffin's first year.  No "three years to get a winning season" here.  Conference USA isn't really a bad conference.  It's about on a level with the American, where SMU plays.

3. Mike Norvell  He went to school in Arkansas and his wife's from here.  If you want Arkansas connection he's got it.  I don't think that should hurt his candidacy, but if you don't think having Arkansas ties matters you just don't.  Agree to disagree there.  His results at Memphis speak for themselves, though he did walk into a good situation.

4. Chris Peterson  Yeah, I don't think Peterson's a good fit, nor do I think he'd leave unless it's for money or to coach in the SEC.  He is, however, a proven winner at a higher level than Morris has been a head coach at.

5. Kevin Sumlin  Yes, he was coaching in our division last year.  In 6 years coaching in the SEC West, he went to 6 bowls (ok, one pening this year that *he* won't be at.  You know what I mean.).  That's an upgrade from what we had.  Why pass on a known quantity to gamble on an unknown?  He also has more experience recruiting Texas, which is supposed to be one of Morris's main selling points.

6. Les Miles  He has a National Championship, not to mention over a decade coaching in the SEC West.  He's one of the few who's beaten Nick Saban more than once.  Could he do it at Arkansas?  Maybe not, but why should we think this unproven nobody stands a better chance?  If you want someone with a history of success, Miles is, pardon the pun, miles better.  I don't really like him, but he's not a scumbag like Petrino.  If he wins I'll live with it.

7.  Mike Gundy  Yeah, probably not coming.  But did we even ask?  We could have at least thrown Gus-level money at him and seen what happens.

8.  Skip Holtz  No, I'm not kidding.  Why not?  I know you don't care about connections, but he's a Fayetteville High School grad, went there 7th-12th when Lou was our coach.  In his first head coaching job, he took Connecticut to their first ever 1-AA playoff appearance, went to 4 bowls in 5 years at East Carolina (and won the CUSA twice), stumbled a bit at USF, then took LA Tech to 4 bowls in 5 years and 2 CUSA title game appearances.  He almost beat Arkansas in Fayetteville last year without his starting QB.  He's a proven winner at a level comparable to the level Morris is working at.  He has experience recruiting the entire eastern seaboard and Louisiana.  18 years of head coaching experience. 11(maybe 12, depends on this year's bowl) winning seasons.  An over .500 record as a head coach.  9 seasons of 8+ wins a teams that are taking money games.  Morris can't say any of those things.  What's the issue here?

9.  Brent Venables  It wouldn't shock me if he was willing to come just for the money and chance to be a head coach.  Look at Alabama's DC jumping to Tennessee.  That said, I don't want an assistant as our head coach.  No HC experience is a deal breaker to me.  Being a head coach is too different from being a coordinator.  Too many good coordinators fail to find success as a head coach (So far, Morris is an example of that).

With the exception of Venables and maybe Norvell (who walked into a good situation), every one of these guys has some clear, proven upsides Morris doesn't.  Maybe Morris will do well.  I hope, for the state's sake, that he does.  But I don't think he was the best possible hire, or even the best available hire.  Why take a gamble on an unproven coach when there were so many better options?  Right now, we need stability, not to take chances.  If this goes badly, it could set us back another 4-5 years, and then the program will really be in a dire situation.  None of us want that.  Why gamble?
Nice perspective on things. We really don't need a set back. Hopefully, we will be ok and Morris brings back some winning tradition.

High Voltage

Give the guy a chance, he hasn't even coached one game yet and people on here are bashing the guy. I like the hire myself. Year one we can't judge him on.

AirWarren

Quote from: High Voltage on December 08, 2017, 08:45:42 am
Give the guy a chance, he hasn't even coached one game yet and people on here are bashing the guy. I like the hire myself. Year one we can't judge him on.

Get to Ashdown coach Morris.

There is a 4.4 kid there about to leave to MSU.

RZback

Does anybody know who we have offered and more important who Morris is offering. 
What's the word on a DC?

footballfan-tastic

Is that Ashdown kid able to play at DI, we need speed but we need difference makers.  We are behind the eight ball right now. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas