• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Track

Started by FilmCrew, October 05, 2009, 03:24:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AB™

April 25, 2010, 03:09:36 pm #300 Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:13:13 pm by AB™
I'd have to go back and read it again, but probably not much.  I don't have time right now.    I may have sounded like I thought Alma was going to be even better this year than last year but I never once thought we were a lock to win state.  Right now I feel like we'll need some luck and PR's from athletes to win state.

One thing that never happened was the two guys that I thought might come out for track this year never came out.  That would have been big.  McCoy would have probably been our best in the LJ/TJ and Workman is faster than any other sprinter we have and has good enough hops that he wold probably be high jumping 6'0"-6'2" by now.  That would have helped out tremendously, and even up until about the second track meet of the season, I thought Workman was going to come out.

MHSGrad

Well our district is tomorrow.. If you want to know anything while its going on.. just txt me and I'll send the info! One thing I can say, I have a feeling we will be under 8:20 in the 4x8.. Should be exciting!

AB™

We put up an 8:18 a couple of weeks ago in the 4x8 and I think we're capable of topping out in the 8:15 range.

I'll probably ask for some updates tomorrow.  If the meet wasn't all the way across the state I'd consider driving out there for it. 

MHSGrad

Its only 2 hrs and 15 if you drive interstate.. if you can take back roads.. like.. 75 down from Russellville.. it might cut off some time..  it cuts 50 miles off

AB™

I forgot it's at Lakeside.  For some reason I thought it was further East than that.  What time does everything start?

MHSGrad

prolly 3:30 F.E.  4:45 or 5 4x8.. txt me tomorrow and  ill let ya know.. but im almost positive thats right

AB™

If I can find someone who wants to go down with me I'll probably come.  It's not looking good right now, though.  I've got class until noon and have a few other things to get done so I wouldn't be able to leave here until 2 or 3. 

MHSGrad

You could def. see all the running events.. Maybe I'll see ya tomorrow

fourpeat

I am trying to find results of 4A track meets:  districts 2, 4, 6 and 8.  Direct Athletics has 1 and 7.  Jonesboro Sun has 3.  But the other 4 are nowhere to be found.  Anybody know where I can find them?

AB™

I just looked up the times from district and I always get a kick in the contrasting times in the 800 compared to the other conference (5A) and on the flip side the contrast in times in the 100/200.  Let's be honest, being good in the 100/200 has a lot to do with genetics along with a good work ethic, but I don't understand how the 5A West seems to be that much better than the other conferences in the 800/1600 every year.  There are good mid and long distance runners in those conferences but the depth is lacking.  Do those schools just not put much emphasis or work into the 800/1600/3200??

Here's the top four 100 and 200 times from the West this year (times from district meet)

Here's the top four times from the East, SE, and SW:
Southeast
1st - 10.98
2nd - 11.20
3rd - 11.24
4th - 11.27
8th - 11.43

East
1st - 10.86
2nd - 10.98
3rd - 11.06
4th - 11.07
7th - 11.15

Southwest[/b]
1st - 11.17
2nd - 11.38
3rd - 11.44
4th - 11.47
8th - 11.57

So actually it's the SE and East with the elite sprinters, this year anyway.  The winning time from the West wouldn't have even scored points at the East or SE meet.  I'm sure the 200 times are pretty much the same story.

Top 800 times from district

East
1st - 2:09
2nd - 2:11
3rd - 2:15
4th - 2:16

Southeast
1st - 2:10
2nd - 2:10
3rd - 2:11
4th - 2:13

Little disclaimer about this one.  The kid that ran a 2:10 had to run the 1600, 3200, and 4x8 that day and has ran a 2:01 this year.

Southwest
1st - 2:04 (probably wasn't pushed)
2nd - 2:11
3rd - 2:13
4th - 2:17

West
1st - 1:59
2nd - 2:03
3rd - 2:04
4th - 2:05
5th - 2:05
6th - 2:06
7th - 2:08
8th - 2:11
9th - 2:12

I know all those times in all events probably aren't PR's but it's something I always find interesting.  Every year there are 8-12 kids in the 100 and 200 that don't even get to go to state that would qualify in another conference, and another 4-6 in the 800.

Eddie Goodson

April 27, 2010, 06:10:51 pm #310 Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:45:15 pm by Eddie Goodson
One soph accounting for something like 52 points for Crossett. Orlando Robinson is one talented young man.

Sure would be nice to have title #24 come this way. The girls look to have a shot at their 5th title. The boys will have to run the table to have a chance. They have the talent to do it though.

AB™

I don't know if Crossett's boys have the depth to compete with Alma, Magnolia, and even Camden and Vilonia.  I think the top 5 will be Magnolia, Alma, CF, Vilonia, and Crossett in some order.  Even if Orlando scores 52 points at state, Crossett will still need another 50-60 points to have a chance at 1st.  100-120 total points usually wins state.

MHSGrad

April 28, 2010, 10:42:54 am #312 Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:50:32 am by MHSGrad
When it comes to our conf in the 800... we have 3 guys under 2:04.. but Fields wasnt going to run it at state, so he was just getting points.. The camden guy that ran a low 2:03 stiff armed park at the end and got DQed...

As for Orlando scoring 52 pts.. thats impossible.. you can only do 4 running and 2 field events.. With that said, he will win the 100 and 200.. To beat Montez in the 400, he will have to run a low 49.. As for the field events, he is only good in the lj.. so at most.. you are looking at 36 pts.. or 38.25 on one of the relays.. IF he wins all of them.. His 42.5 tj wont place at state

10- 100
10- 200
8- 400
2.5- 4x100
8- LJ

BTW, Camden qualed 6 in the TJ .. just some food for thought

I remember in 07, in the 800 at our conference, 7th place was 2:03.8... and we qualed 5 from district, all under the 2:02 mark needed to do so.. So, I think it just comes by year.. Usually Hot springs has two.. We usually have two.. Camden usually has one.. It has just been a down two years

Eaglemaniac

Don't look for Orlando to run the 400 at state. He will run in the 4x400 relay.

Crossett gets a lot of points from Orlandi but don't forget the points we get from Terry Williams in the high jump, Brandon Bryant in the long jump ,hurdle and 100. As well as Anthony Phillips in the 100 and 200.

Don't expect Crossett to roll over and just give it to Magnolia or Alma. i expect this years 5A state to very competitive and very close in the end. Not saying Crossett will win but they are gonna put up a heck of a fight!

The top 4 times in the the 5A SE district were turned in by Eagles by the way.

MHSGrad

Just stating facts and taking out emotions.. Your second best sprinter MIGHT get 2 pts in the 100 and 200.. and thats a stretch.. 11.24 and a mid 23 isn't going to cut it... Your HJ is prolly going to get 2nd.. but nothing lower.. Crossett is top 3 in the 4x400.. Top is 4x100.. 1st in 100 and 200.. Not good enough in the 110s.. but def good enough for 8 or 9 pts in the 300s.. so lets add this up..

11- 100
10- 200
10- 4x100
6- 300H
8- 4x400
8- HJ
18- LJ
and lets just say 8- 400

Thats based on personal bests... thats saying someone doesn't have a bad day.. At very most 81 pts.. thats where it tops out.. thats prolly good for 4th.. MAYBE 3rd.. Again.. just speaking stats.. If you want to base it off of only what yall did at district compared to state.. you are only looking at 69... not including the HJ and PV.. Anything is possible.. but it is just very unlikely

Eddie Goodson

Thus my assertion that they would have to run the table to have a shot.

MHSGrad

Agreed.. Id love to see Crossett get back to their top level.. It makes the south look even better.. having 3 strong teams.. but it's going to take a perfect meet.. and for the other top 3 teams.. Alma Magnolia and Vilonia to have mediocre meets.. I cant wait!.. This is probably the most level the state has been in a while.. and don't take that as if 5A is down.. everyone is just stepping up.. My dark horses are Crossett, Camden (who could easily be leading after the field events, depending on LJ, TJ, and PV), and FC.. they will get a lot of 5th and 6th place finishes.. and if they can muster up enough.. they could compete for the top 3..

If Crossett doesn't get it done Friday, trust me, they are just going to be better next year and the year after that.. As long as they have Orlando, they are going to score 40 pts at LEAST at state... If Miles didn't go to El do, I would be scared..

JohnBarleycorn

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on January 02, 2010, 10:00:06 am
3A - Prescott graduated a lot from the last state title team.  I'll put Rivercrest as the favorite to win the 3A.  They were in the lead at the state track meet last spring for about 1/2 the day, and I believe they only had 1 senior. 

Did I call this one, or what?

Eaglemaniac

Quote from: MHSGrad on April 28, 2010, 01:24:52 pm
Agreed.. Id love to see Crossett get back to their top level.. It makes the south look even better.. having 3 strong teams.. but it's going to take a perfect meet.. and for the other top 3 teams.. Alma Magnolia and Vilonia to have mediocre meets.. I cant wait!.. This is probably the most level the state has been in a while.. and don't take that as if 5A is down.. everyone is just stepping up.. My dark horses are Crossett, Camden (who could easily be leading after the field events, depending on LJ, TJ, and PV), and FC.. they will get a lot of 5th and 6th place finishes.. and if they can muster up enough.. they could compete for the top 3..

If Crossett doesn't get it done Friday, trust me, they are just going to be better next year and the year after that.. As long as they have Orlando, they are going to score 40 pts at LEAST at state... If Miles didn't go to El do, I would be scared..

Orlando smoked Miles every time they ran this season. Wasn't even close!!

AB™

I had to leave early but Crossett is back. They didn't quite have enough to win this year, but all of their athletes showed up today, and Alma had some dissapointing performances. Crossett snuck up and got 2nd...I think.

InYoGrill

Haha smokie. V is for real. Kinda nice to see you guys in the back.
Were the pts close between the top 4?

InYoGrill

Any results on the girls as well?

Eaglemaniac

How bout those Crossett Eagles!!!!!  Congrats to coach Rodney Lawson and all the guys. Gonna get interesting next spring!!!

AB™

Quote from: InYoGrill on April 30, 2010, 09:43:51 pm

Yes, 2-4 were separated by just a few points.  Alma left a lot of points on the table today.  It was just a poor showing today.  We didn't have it in some events where we couldn't be shaky in.  We were shaky in some events and went from getting what should have been at top 5 finish to not placing at all.  It doesn't matter, though, because no one was beating Magnolia today.

InYoGrill

Quote from: AB™ on April 30, 2010, 10:13:22 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on April 30, 2010, 09:43:51 pm

Yes, 2-4 were separated by just a few points.  Alma left a lot of points on the table today.  It was just a poor showing today.  We didn't have it in some events where we couldn't be shaky in.  We were shaky in some events and went from getting what should have been at top 5 finish to not placing at all.  It doesn't matter, though, because no one was beating Magnolia today.

Thanks for the PM on the meet AB. I understand your frustration. Really thought you guys would push for the crown but it does seem that the south teams had the athletes and really wanted it this year. I noticed the same with the girls meet.

MHSGrad

How bout that 175 in the disc?!?! That was crazzzzzzzzzzzy.. Crossett did very well yesterday; they had their perfect meet. Only problem is, they are losing Bryant and Orlando can't do any better pts wise than he did yesterday. So do you see 50 pts of improvement? I guess we will see. It shall be interesting. My fav. for next year right now is Vilonia, then Magnolia, then Crossett, but again, we shall see. We are returning about 65 pts at a minimum.

Also, that little 9 year old looking FR from Vilonia PV... WOW.. amazing

MHSGrad

Also.. Magnolia scored 124 pts.. and Crossett was like 91.. I'm not sure what 3rd or 4th was... and FC was 5th.. Camden was 6th with 47 pts

AT

Hey this is a member of the Alma track team. (as you could probably figure out yourself from my username). I am AB's little brother..I'm not sure he wants me to tell y'all that or not, lol

I just wanted to say congratulations to Magnolia for winning the 5A state track meet. No excuses from me, they were the best team and proved that. I was disappointed in the results but I had alot of fun during my 3 years in track and am glad I at least got one state title.

Even though I won't be an athlete on the team anymore, I hope to enjoy more Alma-Magnolia battles in future state meets (and possibly Crossett and Vilonia) and maybe even help out the team in other ways in the future.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas