• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamond T Offense. What is it? Pros & Cons?

Started by Mulerider4Life, March 20, 2018, 11:31:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulerider4Life

Made

IMO

Pros:
Misdirection on every play
Defenses have to account for 4 different ball carriers each play
Can/will attack every gap created where a lot of spread offenses tend to stay outside the a gaps
Shortens length of game takes conditioning out of the equation when playing opponents with more players
Great play action opportunities
Only need 3 yards per play and tend to be more patient

Cons
Extremely run heavy allows teams to load box
Misdirection plays tend to take longer to develop meaning lineman need to sustain blocks longer
Like any other run heavy offense hard to make up ground when behind
Penalties hurt more and more discipline needed
3rd-7+ tends to be auto pass with generally a limited passing game

There may be someone more knowledgeable about the system who could fill you in better, from the outside looking in that's what I see.

beach bum

March 21, 2018, 02:12:11 pm #2 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:20:47 pm by beach bum
I remember that Perry kid from Pottsville being a stud duel threat QB in this type of run heavy, 3 back system about a half decade ago or so... That was one example seeing it in person ran almost to perfection how good he was at it. You would have to worry so much about him keeping on the outside and their blasts up the gut that I witnessed multiple times a simple off tackle, run play busting it for 60 yards with no one in the area. These run heavy offenses can put a defense to sleep and then they pop the most simple run for a long TD. I still appreciate these type of offenses in the new spread age.

BisonFan1

Quote from: beach bum on March 21, 2018, 02:12:11 pm
I remember that Perry kid from Pottsville being a stud duel threat QB in this type of run heavy, 3 back system about a half decade ago or so... That was one example seeing it in person ran almost to perfection how good he was at it. You would have to worry so much about him keeping on the outside and their blasts up the gut that I witnessed multiple times a simple off tackle, run play busting it for 60 yards with no one in the area. These run heavy offenses can put a defense to sleep and then they pop the most simple run for a long TD. I still appreciate these type of offenses in the new spread age.

Don't know if this will help or not, but our football coach at Carlisle runs the Diamond T.  You might try to email him or maybe call the school and see if he can offer some insight. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 21, 2018, 02:12:11 pm

I may be wrong but I think that was the dead T...which leaves the QB under center, whereas the diamond has him in a shotgun.  When Coach Rust was at Hector he did have an all state receiver out of the run heavy dead T....

beach bum

I had thought it was the Dead T they ran, but its been years since I saw them play so I couldn't remember... People can dog those "boring" offenses all they want, but when they are ran well it is a treat to watch. Cabot still does it in 7A right?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2018, 03:30:31 pm
I had thought it was the Dead T they ran, but its been years since I saw them play so I couldn't remember... People can dog those "boring" offenses all they want, but when they are ran well it is a treat to watch. Cabot still does it in 7A right?

I think they do.... A lot of people don't like them, but there's still something about a team lining up and simply imposing their will on the defense...

Lions84

Didn't Wynne run it back under Coach Campbell???

It like Novocaine run it enough and it works.

X Coach Sing

The Diamond T we ran at Wynne was an inverted wishbone set with both halfbacks lined up around three yards behind each guard and the fullback around five yards deep behind the QB under center. The base set had two tight ends but could split one to either side or both if wanted. The base plays consisted of the Dive, Trap, Blast, Buck Sweep, and Toss. Each of these plays had misdirection plays based off of the same action. The trap normally trapped the first man past the ball but could be called wide wherein we trapped the second man. Believe it or not, we would trap a one. The traps were run using the halfbacks instead of the fullback like in the Dead T. The blast was run inside and outside depending on the call using the fullback. The Sweep was carried by the halfback and involved a double team down by the tackle and TE with the play side halfback kicking the DE out and pulling the backside G to lead into the hole. The Toss was simply a toss sweep to the FB to the outside, pulling the play side G to lead. These are the basic plays and how they were run. There are several others all based on the action of these. The key was to hit the hole QUICK. You always had a double team at the point of attack. The linemen were never asked to overpower there man but to hit him in the mouth hard and quick. The backs hit quick, made one cut and were gone. Normally our guards were under 200 pounds but had a bulldog attitude and could move. We won a ton of games with good high school players that just believed in want they were doing. Coach Campbell used to look at the Offensive linemen and say " It doesn't matter what they do" and they would say back "it's going to be wrong". They knew what to do because they ran every play hundreds of times and didn't have to think. We won a lot of games with good to average backs because they played hard and believed they were going to win. Don't get me wrong, we also were blessed in some years to have some studs back there who could turn a bad play into a great play. Hope this helps!!

Lions84

April 05, 2018, 02:38:25 pm #9 Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:19:14 pm by Lions84
I got to see Wynne play a few times in the playoffs  and I played against Coach Campbell in a Jamboro one year.  His O was something to watch.

Mulerider4Life

Man I hope the coach for Harmony Grove can run this!

tmycjy

If u want to see diamond T in action go to www.youtube.com and type in Piggott, AR high school football and see what come up this not a plug for you tube

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas