• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Question

Started by RamFan06, April 23, 2014, 09:40:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RamFan06

I am sure this has been covered before but I obviously didn't see it so;

Does the umpire of a Varsity game have the "jurisdiction" to eject a spectator from the facility. The situation was, Head Coach disagrees with a call on the bases, I know that is shocking, and argues his point. Apparently he argued his point a little to vigorously for the taste of the base ump and was ejected. The coach decided since he was ejected he would get his moneys worth and continued the voicing of his displeasure. After the coach left the field a spectator was also voicing his disagreement with the way things were handled, I don't know exactly what was said as I was in the press box with headphones on. He was quickly asked to leave by the home plate ump.

I was under the impression that the umpire had control of everything between the fences. All activity outside the fences was the responsibility of the administration. True or False?

CathywithaC

Quote from: RamFan06 on April 23, 2014, 09:40:38 am

Does the umpire of a Varsity game have the "jurisdiction" to eject a spectator from the facility. The situation was, Head Coach disagrees with a call on the bases, I know that is shocking, and argues his point. Apparently he argued his point a little to vigorously for the taste of the base ump and was ejected. The coach decided since he was ejected he would get his moneys worth and continued the voicing of his displeasure. After the coach left the field a spectator was also voicing his disagreement with the way things were handled, I don't know exactly what was said as I was in the press box with headphones on. He was quickly asked to leave by the home plate ump.

I was under the impression that the umpire had control of everything between the fences. All activity outside the fences was the responsibility of the administration. True or False?
I've seen fans kicked out of basketball games.  Usually initiated by  the referee and then administrators and/or policemen completed the task.  I would think the same would probably hold true for baseball.

TSW

Quote from: CathywithaC on April 23, 2014, 09:50:34 am
Quote from: RamFan06 on April 23, 2014, 09:40:38 am

I've seen fans kicked out of basketball games.  Usually initiated by  the referee and then administrators and/or policemen completed the task.  I would think the same would probably hold true for baseball.

The umpire may or may not have the authority to remove someone in the stands
But he does have the authority to not start the next pitch until the person In question is removed .

ricepig

I was running the scoreboard one year in the press box and the windows were open, I yelled something to the blue about his strike zone. The next day our coach says he get a call from the area guy in charge of assignments, seems he can eject someone from the press box if he so chooses, haha. So, I guess he can. In fact a certain dad from WM has been asked to leave a few times.

RamFan06

I am sure the guy deserved it, and to the crew's credit, the situation seemed to have no impact on the way they called the remainder of the game.

Thanks for the input!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas