• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malik Monk MaxPreps article

Started by bbfan89, March 14, 2014, 09:44:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bbfan89

For any of you EPC fans or basketball fans in general there has been an article written by MaxPreps entitled Beyond the X:  'God of Dunk' Malik Monk leaves poverty, strikes gold, beats buzzers in land of Wal-Mart written by Evin Demirel and can be found on   MaxPreps.com.  Where to start?  First, the title of the article is as absolutely idiotic.  Everyone will have their own opinion of some of the statements made in this article, but as an EPC fan, I am infuriated at some of the statements made by this writer.  In more ways than one, he bashed the community, the school, and everyone associated with East Poinsett County.  At one point making comments to the effect that East Poinsett County Schools could not provide Malik with what he needed, whereas Bentonville could give him a tutor and all the necessary resources.  We all know in reality that if a student has ability and gives effort in the classroom they can be successful anywhere.  Malik's own brother, Marcus, was valedictorian of his class, an excellent college student, and he did all of this with an education from Lepanto, Arkansas.  For this writer to place East Poinsett County or any small school in a negative light is absolutely ludicrous.  Furthermore, Monk's own cousins, Ky and Jordan, managed to make it to Division 1 schools, with one graduating and one nearing graduation, with a "substandard" education from EPC.  Some of the ignorant remarks made by the writer and the Bentonville coach make it sound like Bentonville is the end all be all and they don't even try to hide the fact that they give parents jobs and all kinds of perks.  Let's be clear.  Some people need to wake up and realize that if they couldn't put the ball in the hole, the people in NW Arkansas would not give a darn about you.  People who stood by Malik Monk before he transferred to Bentonville are the ones who really care about him as an individual, not just a player.  But, it is these self-serving business people and coaches in NWA that are turning Malik into a commodity instead of a person. 

HorseFeathers

Brian G

Your anger at the Bentonville staff is misplaced.

This lies at the feet of others and one is obvious.

Bodyguard

Wow and rumor has it that he wants to return to EPC and that he isn't happy on the hill...

ISU7

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 14, 2014, 09:44:40 pm
For any of you EPC fans or basketball fans in general there has been an article written by MaxPreps entitled Beyond the X:  'God of Dunk' Malik Monk leaves poverty, strikes gold, beats buzzers in land of Wal-Mart written by Evin Demirel and can be found on   MaxPreps.com.  Where to start?  First, the title of the article is as absolutely idiotic.  Everyone will have their own opinion of some of the statements made in this article, but as an EPC fan, I am infuriated at some of the statements made by this writer.  In more ways than one, he bashed the community, the school, and everyone associated with East Poinsett County.  At one point making comments to the effect that East Poinsett County Schools could not provide Malik with what he needed, whereas Bentonville could give him a tutor and all the necessary resources.  We all know in reality that if a student has ability and gives effort in the classroom they can be successful anywhere.  Malik's own brother, Marcus, was valedictorian of his class, an excellent college student, and he did all of this with an education from Lepanto, Arkansas.  For this writer to place East Poinsett County or any small school in a negative light is absolutely ludicrous.  Furthermore, Monk's own cousins, Ky and Jordan, managed to make it to Division 1 schools, with one graduating and one nearing graduation, with a "substandard" education from EPC.  Some of the ignorant remarks made by the writer and the Bentonville coach make it sound like Bentonville is the end all be all and they don't even try to hide the fact that they give parents jobs and all kinds of perks.  Let's be clear.  Some people need to wake up and realize that if they couldn't put the ball in the hole, the people in NW Arkansas would not give a darn about you.  People who stood by Malik Monk before he transferred to Bentonville are the ones who really care about him as an individual, not just a player.  But, it is these self-serving business people and coaches in NWA that are turning Malik into a commodity instead of a person.
It's a good chance Bville will be in for a big surprise next season...Well back too the land of poverty Malike where you are really loved. GO WARRIORS!!!!!! from your friend at RiverCrest..... 8)

BoxNOne

Not an EPC fan, but I certainly hope he gets out of there and he returns to Lepanto. As I said when he left EPC, big brother Marcus is the driving force in all of this and is trying to grab hold of Malik's coattails and help himself.

bdubyab60

I've read the article. While I'll admit bentonville is a great opportunity for the recruitment of Malik as a ball player. His mother got a higher paying job. Make no mistake this move was made for Marcus in my IMO. The writer is obviously biased to NWA. Those are facts.

Here are some more facts. If Malik ehad stayed he would have been surrounded by more talent. Every comment I've seen about bentonville is it's Malik and the point guard and those two were arguing on the court at the NLR game. At lepanto he wouldn't be booed by his own fans. People , friends, would sit by his mother at games without having to be forced by the crowd overflow of one game. Bentonville has what a 1500 seat arena that wasn't close to full before he came and only a 40% increase in attendance. We probably have that much in lepanto every home game and at most road games.

Malik and his mother are welcome back and wi come back to open arms if they wish to. They will be appreciated in RURAL poverty stricken Arkansas.

BoxNOne

jbtiger73

What's crazy is that u can look all around the state at the 7 & 6 A schools around the state.  And most of those kids are originally from somewhere smaller. One example is the Allen kid from NLR, that is a jr this year, is originally from Augusta. Moved from there when he was a lil bit younger. Point being that it happens every year. Honestly, I think that if given the choice, NWA would love to separate themselves from the rest of the state. Alot of money and power up there. I remember even when i was in school, that part of the state were horrible at most sports or not as dominant. It was all about little rock. Seems like little rock, with the exception of the private schools,  seems to be fading away fast. But I love small school basketball. More passion and heart and not worried about trying to put on a show for college scouts. Just pure teamwork and the want and will to win.

jbtiger73

What's crazy is that u can look all around the state at the 7 & 6 A schools around the state.  And most of those kids are originally from somewhere smaller. One example is the Allen kid from NLR, that is a jr this year, is originally from Augusta. Moved from there when he was a lil bit younger. Point being that it happens every year. Honestly, I think that if given the choice, NWA would love to separate themselves from the rest of the state. Alot of money and power up there. I remember even when i was in school, that part of the state were horrible at most sports or not as dominant. It was all about little rock. Seems like little rock, with the exception of the private schools,  seems to be fading away fast. But I love small school basketball. More passion and heart and not worried about trying to put on a show for college scouts. Just pure teamwork and the want and will to win.

jbtiger73

Brian G

This is not a "blame NWA" thing.  No one from NWA went and got him. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 12:49:11 pm

Well, actually that may not be 100% true. Doesnt marcus live in NWA now?

MomaLion

cotnhauler

I don't think that returning to EPC thing is ever gonna happen.  They're just marking time and getting him ready for the Hogs, the Hogs hope. Bentonville is really not much more than EPC was, to them, just a short strip refueling stop. Its just practice, practice, practice, for him, and a better job for Mom. Good move all in all. The writter had to spice it up by playing up the poor delta town angle, or he wouldn't have had much to say really.

ISU7

Quote from: cotnhauler on March 15, 2014, 07:33:58 pm
          I don't think that returning to EPC thing is ever gonna happen.  They're just marking time and getting him ready for the Hogs, the Hogs hope. Bentonville is really not much more than EPC was, to them, just a short strip refueling stop. Its just practice, practice, practice, for him, and a better job for Mom. Good move all in all. The writter had to spice it up by playing up the poor delta town angle, or he wouldn't have had much to say really.

I really hope he seriously take a look at the other schools that will make him an offer.

bdubyab60

Anyone that thinks Malik is going hogs because of Marcus being a hog has another thing coming. He may end up being a hog but they are not his first choice. All I want is for him to succeed where ever he goes. I want him to be a hog but wouldn't be surprised if he is at another school.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: MomaLion on March 15, 2014, 07:32:14 pm
Hey Pick...where ya been?

Just been taking a break. Got me a woman, who is more fun to spend time with than being on here. Lol!

She happens to be a clarendon alum too.

jbtiger73

Yea. Marcus has been up there since he graduated from college.

Brian G

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 15, 2014, 06:44:10 pm

Live maybe, but it's a rental thang.

bbfan89

March 16, 2014, 12:40:56 am #20 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:50:53 am by bbfan89
Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 10:20:34 pm

Oh thats right he is really a poor Lepanto poverty ridden no house owning renter. Or at least that is what the author of that stupid article would say. If I were the Monks, Maddens or anyone else mentioned in that article. I would be furious at him and embarrassed at his portrayal of who we are.

Brian G

Dude, that anger is not going to serve you well.

I suggest you take your issue up with Marcus.

bbfan89

Quote from: B.G. on March 16, 2014, 09:16:28 am
Dude, that anger is not going to serve you well.

I suggest you take your issue up with Marcus.

BG, you need to read the comment again. The him I am referring to is the author of an article that essentially states that all of these people were so poor that they couldn't make it without Bentonville. I can assure you that is in no way an accurate representation of the facts.

Brian G

He's just a writer making a living.  He only speaks for himself.  But in a way he takes the lead from Marcus who moved his family to Bentonville and cited the reasons why. 

He lit the fuse for the discussion.

BoxNOne

This is probably correct by BG. Writer dude probably never been to Lepanto so had to get his info somewhere.

Brian G

Just look at the quote made by Monk when to the other publication.

Reflexn

Monk was being recruited by all the major schools while at EPC. Walville hasn't enhanced/ improved upon that. Being at EPC wasn't going to hurt his recruiting in the future. The kid has talent beyond what either school can do for him.

MomaLion

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 15, 2014, 09:06:23 pm
Quote from: MomaLion on March 15, 2014, 07:32:14 pm
Hey Pick...where ya been?

Just been taking a break. Got me a woman, who is more fun to spend time with than being on here. Lol!

She happens to be a clarendon alum too.

Woohoo, then she must be fabulous  ;D

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

I also heard he may be coming back to EPC. I heard (from An EPC fan that had 2 state rings on his hand so He maybe close to what is going on)  that Coach Hill was leaving due to his wife landed a nursing job around LR & he has been having to go see them on the weekend.  Some are wanting Marcus to come take his place & bring Malik back with him.   Anyone else hear anything like this??

Oldref

I was told the same thing last week at EPC baseball game about him coming back . It would not hurt Malik recruiting at all to come back because the word is out about him from coast to coast. He really has nothing left to prove and he would probably have better talent around him at EPC. I am  just not sold that Marcus will want to come back to Lepanto. He has been gone from there for a while and I would imagine he could land a better paying job in other places. Especially if he is bringing Malik with him. I would like to see him back in EPC just so we can see him play. Doubt the other teams in the conference feel that way. LOL

bdubyab60

I have heard he is coming back but only they really know if they are. Seen and heard many things whether they come true is another thing and just heard recently that Hill may not be leaving, initial reports were that he was leaving but Im now hearing the opposite. Guess we will find out closer to the end of the year one way or the other on it all.

Elvis

He could go to prep school next year,and play on the big level..... Which I know he would shine, and graduate early like Wiggins did for Kansas, and be one and done. This kid is something special. Being from this area team in the same conference I would have no problem with him coming back just so we could see a star shine.

ricepig

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 16, 2014, 12:40:56 am
Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 10:20:34 pm

Oh thats right he is really a poor Lepanto poverty ridden no house owning renter. Or at least that is what the author of that stupid article would say. If I were the Monks, Maddens or anyone else mentioned in that article. I would be furious at him and embarrassed at his portrayal of who we are.

Lepanto is a Delta town, founded and based on agriculture. You throw out the Stuckey's, now Ritter's, and the Portis', and you don't have much. That isn't to say there are great people living there, just aren't a lot of opportunities.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 17, 2014, 01:04:47 pm
I have heard he is coming back but only they really know if they are. Seen and heard many things whether they come true is another thing and just heard recently that Hill may not be leaving, initial reports were that he was leaving but Im now hearing the opposite. Guess we will find out closer to the end of the year one way or the other on it all.

If I was him &  thought Malik was coming back I wouldn't go anywhere  either!  :D

ricepig

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 17, 2014, 03:52:17 pm

If I was him &  thought Malik was coming back I wouldn't go anywhere  either!  :D

He has to leave for Malik to come back, haha.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2014, 03:54:01 pm
Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 17, 2014, 03:52:17 pm

He has to leave for Malik to come back, haha.
Ive heard that to. lol. Either way Ill still be a Warrior fan.

Head Lion

We CAN make a coaching job in Manila that pays well, if he wants to come back to the Delta and wear Black & Gold. I am not the biggest EPC fan in the world, but felt like the writer did kinda slam them and I know the people of Lepanto do really care for Malik. I don't blame a person for trying to better themselves, that should be the goal of everyone. I think they should never forget where they came from and how many people helped them along the way. JMO

Pit Bull

March 17, 2014, 08:11:24 pm #37 Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:19:38 pm by Pit Bull
Quote from: ISU7 on March 15, 2014, 07:59:01 pm

I really hope he seriously take a look at the other schools that will make him an offer.

I totally agree with this, I mean it's been proven that he could have stayed in Lepanto and still made it to The Hogs, he is going to have so many offers soon that the question is "Why would he possibly turn down a Duke, Louisville or Florida and possible National Championship? It would be a very interesting day if he decides to become his own man making his own decisions and chose to play elsewhere... IJS

ricepig

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 17, 2014, 08:11:24 pm
Quote from: ISU7 on March 15, 2014, 07:59:01 pm

I totally agree with this, I mean it's been proven that he could have stayed in Lepanto and still made it to The Hogs, he is going to have so many offers soon that the question is "Why would he possibly turn down a Duke, Louisville or Florida and possible National Championship? It would be a very interesting day if he decides to become his own man making his own decisions and chose to play elsewhere... IJS

He could play at EPC and go anywhere, and the decision will be his.

Reflexn

That article didn't just slam Lepanto, it slammed every small town in rural Nea.

As for agriculture and taking that away and there isn't much else comment? We are not a bunch of rednecks with a farmer's tan driving a Massey ferguson with a canopy.  There are more that don't farm than do. Just because all you see are fields, doesn't mean every person in that town is hoe'n cotton. 

There is a culture, piece of Americana, that is valued/ treasured in small towns. Something that larger metropolitan areas have forgotten.

bdubyab60

And yes some of us have pretty good drives to work. But I bet even in the great NWA there are 20 plus mile drives to work. I know guys who drive 25 miles to Osecola making close to 6 figures and some that are making 6 figures. Steel mills there and at Blytheville. I myself drive 38 miles to work one way to West Memphis and Im doing pretty well for a country boy. I actually think Ms. Monk liked her teachers aid job at lepanto better than the job she no longer has at Bentonville.

Timberwolf08

I would love to see Malik back in this part of the world. He's an amazing player and seems like a very hard worker. Hated that I only got to see him play a couple of times this year. I was shocked to hear he was moving in the first place...if he wanted to go to a larger school, why not go to Jonesboro and stay near to friends and family? They have a winning team and are very well coached. (Unless coach Swift is one of his AAU coaches, isn't there a rule about that?)

Donnie Jamon

No bc M Pointer is on the Wings to and he is at Jboro.

Malik moved to overall #4 player in the nation 2016 class by espn

Basketballfan13

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on July 07, 2014, 12:12:56 am
No bc M Pointer is on the Wings to and he is at Jboro.

Malik moved to overall #4 player in the nation 2016 class by espn
By rule he's referring to the rule that it is considered recruiting if a player school choices to a school where the coach is the same coach they have for travel ball. Pointer is already at Jonesboro so it doesn't play into that rule.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas