• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BANDS HAVING PART IN THE VICTORY

Started by 2008razorback, November 13, 2006, 10:14:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

2008razorback

have anybody that has played Arkansas High School, noticed what their band does doing the game...  Many folks have said that it has a slight affect in the playing of the game. 

The AHS Band plays numorous stands music at a alarming pitch, causing the offensive team to I guess lose concentration... Hit me back with your thoughts.  Would you say this is cheating or just apart of the game? ???

RazorbackFan

November 13, 2006, 10:21:44 pm #1 Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:25:43 am by RazorbackFan
 the band sucks and its not the band members fault its the director and plus the Arkansas High Band Sucks now a days  the Band Director is no good the halftime performances on TV  make me ashamed the band is a flop and this coming from a former AHS Band Member

WBF †

amh

Just part of the game.  loud is good. play the right thing at the right time. love it as a fan.

Kristy101

i thinK WM  Band plays a part in there Victory

BorderPatrol

Quote from: RazorbackFan on November 13, 2006, 10:21:44 pm
theband sucks and it isnt the band members fault its the director and plus the Arkansas High Band Sucks now a days  the Band Director is no good the halftime performances on TV  make me ashamed the band is a flop and this coming from a former AHS Band Member

Alright....I have been trying all season not to say anything.....

BUT, how can you sit there, NOT attending the games, sitting in the studio......and say what you just did?

Oh wait, I guess Voice of AHS told you so? Speaking of sucking, how many years of this are we going to have to go through? When AHS plays on the road, if I can't listen to the opposing teams Play by Play, I will NOT listen to AHS. I will turn over to KCMC for THS. Heck, Scott Mills does a lot better job at Play by Play for LEHS than the clowns that does AHS. It is a disgrace to the community. I sure miss the old days.

Give me a break.

bp

powerlifter90

just part of the game............   AHS should be thankful that their band knows the difference between offense and defense.  The Jacksonville band plays when Jax has the ball, they say they have the "right" to play whenever they want.  They also say that they are NOT there to support the football team but to practice for upcoming competitions.

mudslog

Parkview's so called award winning band leaves before the game is over if they come at all and they do not even come to the away games and some of the away games are right here in Little Rock.  They also play the same exact halftime show.  In the stands they are undisciplined and the visiting bands always outplay them and play often.   

ManchuCoach

theband sucks and it isnt the band members fault its the director and plus the Arkansas High Band Sucks now a days  the Band Director is no good the halftime performances on TV  make me ashamed the band is a flop and this coming from a former AHS Band Member

He's a better band director then you are an English student

rdubs8

the LH band complains if they have to travel

hogsfan41

Quote from: BUGEATERS on November 14, 2006, 07:59:28 am
just part of the game............   AHS should be thankful that their band knows the difference between offense and defense.  The Jacksonville band plays when Jax has the ball, they say they have the "right" to play whenever they want.  They also say that they are NOT there to support the football team but to practice for upcoming competitions.

It's the same way at JHS.  The band director is an idiot who can't grasp the fact taht he shouldn't play when we are on offense.  It's ridiculous.  I don't know how many times there have almost been false starts b/c the band decides to play full blast when we are driving, and are right in front of them.  It's ridiculous.  A bunch of the bandies like to claim that "Band is harder than football.  We have to stand out in the heat and play our horns and do all kinds of marching stuff".  I just roll my eyes and crack up laughing at them.

RazorbackFan

November 14, 2006, 11:21:34 am #12 Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:24:44 am by RazorbackFan
Quote from: BorderPatrol on November 14, 2006, 07:22:37 am

Alright....I have been trying all season not to say anything.....

BUT, how can you sit there, NOT attending the games, sitting in the studio......and say what you just did?

Oh wait, I guess Voice of AHS told you so? Speaking of sucking, how many years of this are we going to have to go through? When AHS plays on the road, if I can't listen to the opposing teams Play by Play, I will NOT listen to AHS. I will turn over to KCMC for THS. Heck, Scott Mills does a lot better job at Play by Play for LEHS than the clowns that does AHS. It is a disgrace to the community. I sure miss the old days.

Give me a break.

bp

ive talked to people who have attended games former band directors who have attended games i know people who have quit the past several years because the director takes no pride in the band when you don't even take the whole band to every game like road games and march at halftime.. you don't perform as much just like Friday night i watched the game on TV half the band didn't know the music.. all i was saying the band isn't the same as it was and you don't have to listen to the radio go to the game nobody is forcing you to listen to the game

I rather listen to the Pleasant Grove Band

Marionpats07™

Our band usually plays only when we are on defence, and now they started playing right before kickoff and that is messed up!! B/c everytime we should yell and  jump up and down, now the stupid band covers us up.

Texarkana_Piggie

i was in band at ahs my sophomore year.  i quit after that.  anyway...we made the trips to all of the out of town games, but many of those we were not allowed to march.  we didn't march because we didn't want to; we didn't march because we were told the home band would take the entire half time and the visiting band was not allowed to march.  this was especially true at the teams we played in the little rock area.  as far as the band this year...i've seen and heard worse, i've seen and heard better.  to me they were really good from about 98-01.  they had an assistant director who was a hoot and had a lot of personality....that showed in the halftime performances.   if i remember right, he'd been in band at u of a and tried to carry a lot of the spirit of the u of a band over to ours.  i personally wish our band would use some of the proceeds from the concession stand to buy some new music.  maleguena is getting tired.  anyway... my 2 cents.

oldguy_21

I thought this was a football board.  Could be wrong about that, but that was the impression I got from most of the thread titles.  And anyone who will blame their team's mistakes much less winning or losing on the band is pathetic.

powerlifter90

it is a fooball board, but I guess some people feel compelled to talk about the/their band.

I have no problem with the band as long as they know their place.  Playing while YOUR team has the ball, isn't cool.  When YOUR team is in the "no huddle" calling plays at the line of scrimmage is not the time to showcase your talents as a musician.

I remember a game last year.  Jax was playing at Watson Chappel, in the no huddle, calling plays at the los, in a critical point in the game.  what next but the Jax band starts up with the team right in front of them.  Numerous players turned to the sideline bc their couldn't hear the QB's calls.  The band keeps playing, the team gets a delay of game penalty.  The next play, band still playing, Jax player jumps offsides.  I yell from my place in the stands for the band to stop.  A band parent turns to me and says, "Its the bands' right to play, they have as much right to be playing as the football team does.  If the team can't hear maybe they should run a different offense."

Texarkana_Piggie

i get irritated with the cheerleaders who holler "defense" on punts or when we are on offense.  i just think if you're going to represent your school at a football game in any capacity, have half a clue the rules of the game and what the game itself is about.

The_Bomb

Maybe, we ought to have the AAA executive committee get a recommendation to not allow any band to play when a team goes to the line of scrimmage.  It is an NCAA rule and I have seen it enforced on several occasions through the years.  Saw one time where the Referee went up to the Band Director and told him to quit playing or they would be assessed a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Band was not even a factor the rest of the game.

originalhawg

the band sucks and its not the band members fault its the director and plus the Arkansas High Band Sucks now a days  the Band Director is no good the halftime performances on TV  make me ashamed the band is a flop and this coming from a former AHS Band Member

I must say........

I have not missed a Texarkana football game in over 7 years.  This years band performs as well as I have ever seen.  I am no band expert, but AHS band has been invited to perform at the 2007 Sugar Bowl.  Someone must think they a pretty good?

RazorbackFan

Quote from: BorderPatrol on November 14, 2006, 12:15:31 pm
Quote from: RazorbackFan on November 14, 2006, 11:21:34 am

and you don't have to listen to the radio go to the game nobody is forcing you to listen to the game

I am sure that is the attitude Clear Channel Radio and Texarkana Arkansas School District wants to hear from one of its employees/studio workers. Not to mention the MANY sponsors, including myself.

bp

all that it is is a Opinion you take shots at coworkers and the broadcast crew most of them do it for free they love the game and they give their time to call the games and you talk about them the comment about the band was  Opinion this is a high school football board not a dang Band board so get off the Gas it was just a Opinion and no need to make remarks about the Brodcast Guys they do the games for the love of the sport

BorderPatrol

Quote from: RazorbackFan on November 14, 2006, 02:25:30 pm

and you don't have to listen to the radio go to the game nobody is forcing you to listen to the game

I am sure that is the attitude Clear Channel Radio and Texarkana Arkansas School District wants to hear from one of its employees/studio workers. Not to mention the MANY sponsors, including myself.

bp

all that it is is a Opinion you take shots at coworkers and the broadcast crew most of them do it for free they love the game and they give their time to call the games and you talk about them the comment about the band was  Opinion this is a high school football board not a dang Band board so get off the Gas it was just a Opinion and no need to make remarks about the Brodcast Guys they do the games for the love of the sport

Reading all of that makes me proud of my decision to cash in on my education at Arkansas High. Unfortunately, some didn't.

bp

RazorbackFan

Quote from: BorderPatrol on November 14, 2006, 02:47:20 pm
Quote from: RazorbackFan on November 14, 2006, 02:25:30 pm

bp

Reading all of that makes me proud of my decision to cash in on my education at Arkansas High. Unfortunately, some didn't.

bp

i graduated 78th out of 300 and something from Arkansas High and had several scholarship offers to school for band 

df44

The LH band wins all kinds of competitions, but when it comes to the games  they could careless about it.  The only reason they show up is to perform and eat free food after half time.

wOlFbAnD

Quote from: df44 on November 14, 2006, 03:21:21 pm
The LH band wins all kinds of competitions, but when it comes to the games  they could careless about it.  The only reason they show up is to perform and eat free food after half time.

Actually... we love the games. We have so much fun at the games and atleast 3/4th of the band watches the game when we aren't playing. Also, we NEVER get free food..

Quote from: rdubs8 on November 14, 2006, 09:15:05 am
In the past... yes that's true.. This year we all loved to travel. We were going to go almost 6 hours to Mountain Home if we won because we wanted to, not because we have to. The only time it's a hastle to travel to the games is when we have a contest 4 or 5 hours away the next day.

I have heard many football players say that the band helps them soo much more than the cheerleaders and that they have noticed a different if the band doesn't go to the game.

Also, AHS doesn't have a horrible band. They aren't half bad actually!

DF#1

I'm sorry...I don't think the name of this webite is fearlessbands.com...

powerlifter90

oh but it is.  the band has just as many rights to be here as the football team

ahs voice

I don't know why my name got thrown in here. I think the band sounds just as good as it has in the past and certainly did not tell  razorback fan anything to the contrary.

As for the broadcast, I have plenty of people tell me they love it. But I'm a big boy and can take constructive criticism. Why are we clowns?  As for Scott being better at play-by-play I think that is questionable.

I certainly do not do this for the money. I do it because I am passionate about it. But I know you can't please everyone. We had 1 game this year on the road where the stadium pressbox and phone signal were  very poor, but we are always striving to improve  the broadcasts.   I try each and every week to give Razorback fans the best high school broadcast we can give. Sorry to hear you hate it so much.  Have a good day.

powerlifter90

AHS voice, I don't know what radio/TV station you work for but we listened to 106.3 during and after the game and I thought it was pretty good

RazorbackFan

he is the play by on 106.3 most of our away games dont sound so good because of other teams facilites ahs voice does a outstanding job and so does our sideline reporter

BlueDevil66

It is actually a AAA rule that the bands can't be playing while the offense is taking the snap. Our band got us a penalty when I was in junior high for it. Funniest thing in the world because we were winning like 58-0. But saying this as a band member and a football player, a good football player that is concentrated on getting his job done doesn't even hear any bands, cheerleaders, or fans...

ahs voice

yes , we broadcast on 106.3. I'm glad you were able to pick up the broadcast, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and make it fun for the listener.  Most  football radio people who are worth a darn, try to give the home listeners an exciting  broadcast to listen to and we like to throw in some humor as well, you know its high school, not the NFL.

powerlifter90

Quote from: ahs voice on November 14, 2006, 08:27:40 pm
yes , we broadcast on 106.3. I'm glad you were able to pick up the broadcast, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and make it fun for the listener.  Most  football radio people who are worth a darn, try to give the home listeners an exciting  broadcast to listen to and we like to throw in some humor as well, you know its high school, not the NFL.

Yeah we picked it up until we got to about Prescott, then I turned on 103.7 to catch the scores

BlueDevil66

Several local Memphis stations broadcast our games and I think it will be on Friday night...

will-i-am-be

I think bands can help a team win th ball game and MARIONS namd is def the best band in the conference and no one can argue with that

BlueDevil66

Lets not get into that argument... I would say West Memphis and Marion are about equal. I am in band so I know what I am talking about...

will-i-am-be

well no Marion is better just becasue you are in band doesnt mean you know what you are talking about i heard WM play and Marion play and Marion sounds better to me

Patfan05

Marion's band really gets into it, especially in the second half, I never played, but from the stands they were so aggressive that I even wanted to get out there and take a snap or two.

BlueDevil66

It is all in what the bands play, that has no reflection one either bands ability

wolfwr8

Quote from: wOlF_bAnD on November 14, 2006, 04:11:09 pm
Quote from: df44 on November 14, 2006, 03:21:21 pm

Actually... we love the games. We have so much fun at the games and atleast 3/4th of the band watches the game when we aren't playing. Also, we NEVER get free food..

Quote from: rdubs8 on November 14, 2006, 09:15:05 am
In the past... yes that's true.. This year we all loved to travel. We were going to go almost 6 hours to Mountain Home if we won because we wanted to, not because we have to. The only time it's a hastle to travel to the games is when we have a contest 4 or 5 hours away the next day.

I have heard many football players say that the band helps them soo much more than the cheerleaders and that they have noticed a different if the band doesn't go to the game.

Also, AHS doesn't have a horrible band. They aren't half bad actually!
the lh band is great! As a player there was nothing like running thru the banner before the game with the band playing the fight song. If that doesn't get you pumped, i don't know what will. the atmosphere they create is awesome, so i want to say thank you to all the lh band members and directors for supporting us this season.

DT13

i used to be in band and it wasn't the band that created the atmosphere but the football players and then the band just built on that atmosphere pushing and giving confidence to the players...its more like if you scratch my back i'll scratch yours type of deal

powerlifter90

Quote from: DT13 on November 16, 2006, 01:09:12 pm
i used to be in band and it wasn't the band that created the atmosphere but the football players and then the band just built on that atmosphere pushing and giving confidence to the players...its more like if you scratch my back i'll scratch yours type of deal

EXCELLENT!!   that is the way it should be, wish everyone would realize that

claps for you

2008razorback

Who said AHS was a horrible band... they must not no... Arkansas High Schoool Marching Band got selected out of all the bands in the state of good ole Arkansas to play at the Sugar Bowl this New Years, with many other bands in the nation,.

I think LH Band is a great band too.... folks don't know how much a hastle it is to pack all that equipment on a truck for a football game... then got another performance that next morning. 

I know this is actually  is a football website, but i don't believe everybody comes to a football game to just watch the game... What we do is while the visiting team is on offense, we use a technique of basically "playing crunck and load stands music. "

MarionBandRules

Quote from: 2008razorback on November 17, 2006, 08:45:42 am
Who said AHS was a horrible band... they must not no... Arkansas High School Marching Band got selected out of all the bands in the state of good ole Arkansas to play at the Sugar Bowl this New Years, with many other bands in the nation,.

I think LH Band is a great band too.... folks don't know how much a hastle it is to pack all that equipment on a truck for a football game... then got another performance that next morning. 

I know this is actually  is a football website, but i don't believe everybody comes to a football game to just watch the game... What we do is while the visiting team is on offense, we use a technique of basically "playing crunck and load stands music. "

You know whats funny about this...Marion did The same thing back in 2003 when i was in the 10th grade so wtg for you. Its nothing special.. All you do is sit be hide one of the football teams and can't even see the game unless you watch it on the big screen..

stina_ar

Berryville's band is awesome.
I don't think they played enough during the football games this year when the 'cats were on defense. They played some while we were on offense. That was fun.
They like to request to play after the games.

Go band. ;D

DT13

Quote from: bobcat_fan on November 17, 2006, 10:41:49 am
I don't think they played enough during the football games this year when the 'cats were on defense. They played some while we were on offense. That was fun.

Go band. ;D
so the football team requests that the band play after the game?...am i getting this right?...there's really no point in playing right after a game...seriously...tell me if im wrong

stina_ar

Quote from: DT13 on November 17, 2006, 12:50:59 pm

Go band. ;D
so the football team requests that the band play after the game?...am i getting this right?...there's really no point in playing right after a game...seriously...tell me if im wrong

NO. The band director requested that they play after the games. Even at our away games in Prairie Grove & Gravette.
They "never had time" to do their show during halftime.

DT13

Quote from: bobcat_fan on November 17, 2006, 12:56:19 pm
Quote from: DT13 on November 17, 2006, 12:50:59 pm

Go band. ;D

NO. The band director requested that they play after the games. Even at our away games in Prairie Grove & Gravette.
They "never had time" to do their show during halftime.
haha...thats hilarious...sounds like lake hamilton at the pine bluff games...whenever we went...whenever i used to be in band...they wouldn't let us play for a couple of reason...number one was that we would always beat them at any competitions we went to and the second is becuz we were mostly white and they were pretty much an all black school...besides the fact they would always throw rocks at us...lol...that used to be the fun part

stina_ar

I think our band is just a little cocky and likes to grasp all attention after the games.
They're great, I'm not trying to take away from that...its just kindof dumb to play after the games and not during the games...when your team is on defense.

It made some of the band parents upset all year.

2hot2bnashdown

I wouldn't completely say that Arkansas High's band sucks, but they are not where they need to be. Like, I have seen some 2A, 3A, and 4A bands that are way better than them. But overall, their colorguard sucks. They really should step it up and heres a hint...PRACTICE! More than once a year if you do.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas