• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Justice Hill leaving early

Started by Rudehog, December 03, 2018, 01:35:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasSportsFan

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2018, 04:54:20 pm
Does that go for any player at any level? Serious question. I've read the rules and didn't seem to find an answer. I'm sure I overlooked.
Read what I said. Not going to start a debate, discussion, or anything else. Rules here are more strict than they are on Hogville.

beach bum

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 11, 2018, 06:04:43 pm
Read what I said. Not going to start a debate, discussion, or anything else. Rules here are more strict than they are on Hogville.

Thank you for finally stepping in.... No point in calling a kid out who is just 17 or 18 years old by name when he is still technically enrolled at LRCA at least for a week more. Petty of adults to do that imo.... Thank you again.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: beach bum on December 11, 2018, 06:34:03 pm
Thank you for finally stepping in.... No point in calling a kid out who is just 17 or 18 years old by name when he is still technically enrolled at LRCA at least for a week more. Petty of adults to do that imo.... Thank you again.

Gee, I thought he was 21😜😜😜😜. Only kidding!

MDXPHD

Grond

While the details of the question may have been inappropriate, the general discussion of this thread is very relevant:

HOW DO WE FEEL ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES LEAVING EARLY FOR COLLEGE? And how do we feel about high school athletes sacrificing (i.e., not playing) high school sports in favor of their college career?

There are some very good reasons for a high school athlete to move up to college early, if they have an opportunity.

RISK OF INJURY - If you get hurt playing in high school, it may destroy your chances to play in college. On the other hand, if you get hurt playing in college, you are covered (somewhat legally).

I know of a high school athlete that was a highly recruited softball player. She played volleyball, basketball, and softball. Got a knee injury early in basketball season, and ended up sitting out a good portion of high school softball season to make sure her knee was ready for college softball. [Her story turned out good; she plays D1 softball now.]

RECRUITING 'STOCK' - Just as we talk about "draft stock" for college athletes moving into professional sports, there is also an up-and-down interest in college athletes. I know a young man that had NCAA D1 interest after his sophomore year in high school. But, by his senior year, there was no interest from the D1 colleges. (He has a D2 offer.)

So, in this case, it may have been in the young man's best interest to move NOW on a prospect.

LIFE CHOICES - And sometimes, a kid is just ready to get the heck out of high school. I completely understand that feeling.....

JessieP

December 13, 2018, 07:56:48 pm #56 Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:48:43 pm by JessieP
Quote from: beach bum on December 11, 2018, 06:34:03 pm

Petty of adults to do that to private school kids. 3 years ago a player on Batesville was dragged through the coals here. His number and name were mentioned and there were numerous suggestions as to what should happen to him, some illegal everywhere but California. Now mind you the kid was flagged for the play in question and when a clip was linked here the feelings on the play were split among posters if it was intentional or "aggressive play". That's neither here nor there, the point was the kid was savaged and as far as moderators/administrators? Crickets chirping. This year a Blytheville player was named and insulted, again crickets. Two years ago I got a very stern private message warning me about calling a player out for "Goonish playing". I never mentioned his name, number or position. The player in the discussion had been suspended by the AAA (It didn't stand of course). Did I mention he played for a private school? Not only did no one say anything derogatory towards the kid at the top of the thread people we're warned that it was getting too close. Can anyone define too close? I say all that to say this, the rules are very clear to many of us. The line to never be crossed depends on your school.

I wonder why participation in football has dropped by 17% in Arkansas? 10% Nationally but larger here. Traffic on these boards has dropped as well. When parents or supporters complain about the short end of the stick the kids in public schools are getting we are told we're jealous. I think the wording was "Suck it and play better". When kids at a school like Blytheville or Forrest City are insulted it stands, when it's a kid at a private school the powers that be step right in. Hmm, I wonder why that is? It's a mystery I tells ya, a real mystery.

JacketFan

Quote from: JessieP on December 13, 2018, 07:56:48 pm
Petty of adults to do that to private school kids. 3 years ago a player on Batesville was dragged through the coals here. His number and name were mentioned and there were numerous suggestions as to what should happen to him, some illegal everywhere but California. Now mind you the kid was flagged for the play in question and when a clip was linked here the feelings on the play were split among posters if it was intentional or "aggressive play". That's neither here nor there, the point was the kid was savaged and as far as moderators/administrators? Crickets chirping. This year a Blytheville player was named and insulted, again crickets. Two years ago I got a very stern private message warning me about calling a player out for "Goonish playing". I never mentioned his name, number or position. The player in the discussion had been suspended by the AAA (It didn't stand of course). Did I mention he played for a private school? Not only did no one say anything derogatory towards the kid at the top of the thread people we're warned that it was getting too close. Can anyone define too close? I saw all that to say this, the rules are very clear to many of us. The line to never be crossed depends on your school.

I wonder why participation in football has dropped by 17% in Arkansas? 10% Nationally but larger here. Traffic on these boards has dropped as well. When parents or supporters complain about the short end of the stick the kids in public schools are getting we are told we're jealous. I think the wording was "Suck it and play better". When kids at a school like Blytheville or Forrest City are insulted it stands, when it's a kid at a private school the powers that be step right in. Hmm, I wonder why that is? It's a mystery I tells ya, a real mystery.
You are 100% correct sir, there is definitely a double standard on policing these boards.  Anything close to bad mouthing a private school, and you get a silly pm and a stern warning, and the post gets deleted all together or vanquished into the infamous black hole of threads that poor mouths the so called elite private schools.  I guess us public school rejects just need to know our place.

JessieP

December 13, 2018, 08:37:55 pm #58 Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:51:02 pm by JessieP
Quote from: JacketFan on December 13, 2018, 08:07:16 pm
You are 100% correct sir, there is definitely a double standard on policing these boards.  Anything close to bad mouthing a private school, and you get a silly pm and a stern warning, and the post gets deleted all together or vanquished into the infamous black hole of threads that poor mouths the so called elite private schools.  I guess us public school rejects just need to know our place.

I once got a warning saying I was awful close to bad mouthing Coach (Kelley). Awful close? That's like being pulled over for almost exceeding the speed limit. Can a boss get on to you for being almost late? In America we have an expression for almost late, it's called being on time. I mean I'm not stupid. I get that the day's of Walter Cronkite are long since past. Every news outlet has it's bias. The Patriots, Lakers, Celtics, Yankees even the crappy Cowboys are the darlings of their sports. It happens in every aspect of life, everyone has their favorites. The big difference is the news or pro sports makes a shallow attempt to hide it, they try and deny it but they know we know. Here on FF or the AAA the bias is not only up front it's mentioned on the masthead. My "Suck it and play better" was not my attempt at sarcasm, it was actually posted by someone of power here. It's like these forums are really just to praise a few schools and to watch the plebeians (Public schools) eat each other alive. 

scrapdig

Quote from: JessieP on December 13, 2018, 07:56:48 pm
Petty of adults to do that to private school kids. 3 years ago a player on Batesville was dragged through the coals here. His number and name were mentioned and there were numerous suggestions as to what should happen to him, some illegal everywhere but California. Now mind you the kid was flagged for the play in question and when a clip was linked here the feelings on the play were split among posters if it was intentional or "aggressive play". That's neither here nor there, the point was the kid was savaged and as far as moderators/administrators? Crickets chirping. This year a Blytheville player was named and insulted, again crickets. Two years ago I got a very stern private message warning me about calling a player out for "Goonish playing". I never mentioned his name, number or position. The player in the discussion had been suspended by the AAA (It didn't stand of course). Did I mention he played for a private school? Not only did no one say anything derogatory towards the kid at the top of the thread people we're warned that it was getting too close. Can anyone define too close? I saw all that to say this, the rules are very clear to many of us. The line to never be crossed depends on your school.

Good post.  And yes football participation is on a steep decline. 

ISU7

Quote from: scrapdig on December 03, 2018, 02:50:48 pm
Jealous because you didn't have that talent or mad because he isn't playing football.  Smart young man!
Exactly.  Smart move by Hill I wish him nothing but the best. Where was all this talk when Ty Storey left Charleston early. Hmmm.

MDXPHD

Quote from: ISU7 on December 21, 2018, 11:58:18 pm
Exactly.  Smart move by Hill I wish him nothing but the best. Where was all this talk when Ty Storey left Charleston early. Hmmm.

Different sports. Different scenarios. Use at least a little logic, if possible.

RedWolf275

If Hill is truly 6'0" he will have a hard time making it in the NBA, but it has been done.

Jimbo Morphis

I would be critical if he changed high schools his senior year just for basketball. I have no idea in 10 years if he'll be glad he made this decision but I can't come close to saying he should not do it. This is between him and his parents.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 29, 2018, 06:41:10 pm
If Hill is truly 6'0" he will have a hard time making it in the NBA, but it has been done.

I recently saw a posting from his father on another site that stated his height at 5'11".

LeftyWorld

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 29, 2018, 06:41:10 pm

NBA??? 😂😂 this kid will get exposed on the D1 level basketball wise. He will go straight football or transfer after one year.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2018, 07:50:53 am
Agreed. I think it's ridiculous. It's not like football where you enroll in the spring and can maybe contribute in the fall - this kid is enrolling early to practice basketball (which he'd be doing if he stayed in high school) and contribute in a year. I think it's more for media attention.

Oh my lol. Like some have said, he is eligible to play right away. I hope he redshirts, but he can in fact play. But if he doesn't play, isn't that exactly like going through spring practice for football? He would be practicing with the team in the spring and then would play in the fall semester just like an early football enrollee.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas