• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team Camps and Officiating

Started by Basketball13, June 17, 2014, 07:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Basketball13

I have been to a few team camps this summer and noticed that a lot of officiating is very careless and all laid back? Do you think officials should call these games somewhat like they would call a Varsity conference game, or is the laid back atmosphere the way to do camps? Personally, I think it is a time for officials to sharpen their mechanics and get a better eye for the game so they should call it close IMO. Just curious on any thoughts?

Nip/Tusk

I'd say calling it opposite of what they do in the real season is a good thing from what I've seen. Lol

OlGuyWicker

I would imagine the number of games and the heat is keeping them from working to hard in one game.

Eagle20

I know 2 refs who called 12 games yesterday.  Too much for anybody in a day but they are trying to make money also.

Basketball13

I'll say that the heat can make one tired, I personally worked 17 basketball games and two 80 min soccer games in a span of 6 days. I had one day off of those 6. I was tired, yes, but still I used mechanics well and tried to keep the games a bit more managed than I've seen.

Brian G

Most of the time, they are not refs that do real high school games. 

Rocket23

Seldom are officials working camps getting paid.  Usually they are there to get some work in, work on changes in rules, mechanics, etc... And usually they are paying to come to those camps. 

Now with the camp at Cabot, the officials aren't getting paid and don't have to pay to come to the camp, but others do charge the officials.

And it can be brutal working multiple games in the offseason and in the heat.  Just try to survive.

BigMan15

Quote from: B.G. on June 17, 2014, 11:06:10 pm
Most of the time, they are not refs that do real highschool games.
Most of the ones we have seen are not refs at all, just some guys from the host school trying to help but they were decent but u could tell that they were homers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas