• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Girls Coach

Started by Basketball13, April 20, 2014, 11:22:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Basketball13

Any ideas on who is going to fill this spot in the 7A? Seemed to me that they had a rough year.

Tripod1

No ideas and not sure the school people have any ideas at this time.  Not too many have expressed interest yet.  Tough year for them but they were extremely young.  Started two 9th graders and a 10th grader and 11th grader although she was not very good.  They have a young girl moving up next year as a 9th grader and she is beyond awesome.  Range is as soon as she crosses the half court line!  They will be small but should be much improved.  Someone will walk into a fairly good situation as far as talent. 

TheMercenary

Talent yes, support from Admin? Not so much.

Lots of Chiefs trying to be A.D.

Tripod1

Well the top Admin won't be back so maybe that is a plus.  Hopefully Loyd will remain Ad as well as boys BB coach.  Lots of back and forth going on right now so who knows what will eventually shake out.  In my opinion the hot seat is the FB head coach.  If I were a young guy like him with a career in front of me I would catch the first train out of town even if it meant taking a lower division head coach job.  Being a coach right now is tough having to look over your shoulder and not knowing where the next dart is coming from!

Basketball13

Quote from: Tripod1 on April 21, 2014, 09:36:18 am
No ideas and not sure the school people have any ideas at this time.  Not too many have expressed interest yet.  Tough year for them but they were extremely young.  Started two 9th graders and a 10th grader and 11th grader although she was not very good. 

I thought they had two juniors start and one senior along with the two 9th graders. IMO the freshman were two of the worse players that got minutes. Very young as was shown on the court. Also believe they were under coached and under achieved with the talent.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: Basketball13 on April 22, 2014, 02:24:56 pm
No ideas and not sure the school people have any ideas at this time.  Not too many have expressed interest yet.  Tough year for them but they were extremely young.  Started two 9th graders and a 10th grader and 11th grader although she was not very good. 

I thought they had two juniors start and one senior along with the two 9th graders. IMO the freshman were two of the worse players that got minutes. Very young as was shown on the court. Also believe they were under coached and under achieved with the talent.
First, They started 2 Freshmen, 1 Soph, 1 Jr, and 1 SR I believe. #12 and #24 were very good for 9th graders. Definitely deserved to start. There were apparently some idiot parents (imagine that) of upperclassmen who were out for blood once they figured out that the younger kids were going to play ahead of them.

Second, who in the 7A west were they more talented than?

Bentonville?
Fayetteville?
Har-Ber?
Heritage?
Rogers?
Siloam?
Springdale?

They had the worst lineup in the league, and it wasn't even close...

Tripod1

Quote from: Basketball13 on April 22, 2014, 02:24:56 pm

Goodwin is a 10th grader.  She and the two 9th graders were starters along with the senior and then the junior who was the weakest link.  Couldn't create a shot couldn't play defense.  You must not have seen any games if you really think they under achieved.  Many games they would be within 1 or 2 points late in the game and just run out of gas.  No depth and had to play too many minutes.  The west was pretty good and deep so I don't see where you could find many wins with that schedule.  Only problem with the two 9th graders is they need more physical strength.  They have good skills.

Tripod1

Van Buren school board hired Chris Bryant formerly assistant boys high school coach as the new high school girls coach.  Good hire in my opinion.  Chris is a great guy, good solid coach and will be a good coach. 

reggiebushfan

Would a school ever give a girl's assistant the boys head coaching position?

ricepig

Quote from: reggiebushfan on May 14, 2014, 01:06:41 pm
Would a school ever give a girl's assistant the boys head coaching position?

I've seen them apply, I don't know if any have been hired??

Basketball

Quote from: Tripod1 on May 14, 2014, 12:53:31 pm
Van Buren school board hired Chris Bryant formerly assistant boys high school coach as the new high school girls coach.  Good hire in my opinion.  Chris is a great guy, good solid coach and will be a good coach.
Great hire.  Chris is a hard worker, student of the game, and has been exposed to some great coaches in Joe foley and Randy Loyd. 

Basketball

Quote from: Basketball on May 14, 2014, 08:49:54 pm
Great hire.  Chris is a hard worker, student of the game, and has been exposed to some great coaches in Joe foley and Randy Loyd.
Wonder if this opens up the boys assistant job for Randy's son.

Brian G

Wow. Stunned to see it happen.  Chris is a great guy and I got to think this gives him HC experience that will be needed to follow RL when he retires.

I'd be surprised to see Trent become the assistant but you never know.

Brian G

May 14, 2014, 09:35:12 pm #14 Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:47:45 pm by B.G.
BTW, Congrats Chris!

Good opportunity to be a HC without having to move! 

Tripod1

Quote from: Basketball on May 14, 2014, 08:51:48 pm
Quote from: Basketball on May 14, 2014, 08:49:54 pm
Wonder if this opens up the boys assistant job for Randy's son.
Things being as they are around VB right now I doubt Trent would get the job or even take it if asked.  I think he is pretty happy in NWA.  I figure either Chop Jones or Blair House will be Randy's assistant. Administration planning on not replacing many retiring teachers makes me believe they would not go outside the district to hire a assistant coach.  But stranger things have happened.

T-Wacker

Quote from: B.G. on May 14, 2014, 09:35:12 pm
BTW, Congrats Chris!

Already been a head coach twice, Hartford and Cedarville boys.

Brian G

Quote from: T-Wacker on May 20, 2014, 12:16:23 pm
Quote from: B.G. on May 14, 2014, 09:35:12 pm
BTW, Congrats Chris!

Already been a head coach twice, Hartford and Cedarville boys.
Yes, I know.  But thanks.

AT

I'm surprised myself. I thought they would just wait until Coach Loyd retires and he would step into that position. I know he could still do that, but this seems a strange way to go about it.

Tripod1

As most expected Blair House will be assistant boys coach helping Coach Loyd.  Vestal Carter will become assistant girls coach which now gives Coach Bryant 2 assistants. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas