• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Bentonville Just Get Good?

Started by Brian G, July 15, 2013, 01:59:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

For Monk, his summers are beneficial and playing a high school schedule versus schools with a deeper talent pool will certainly benefit him as well.

mockingJ

AAU is wayyyyyyyyyy overused!!  There are some fantastic opportunities in summer basketball, but there is real traveling involved.  Most "aau" teams in this state are run by rec league wannabe coaches or dads that go to local tournaments or simply "travel" to Dallas and Memphis every weekend to play the same teams over and over.  These tournaments are usually hit and miss..... Many players in this environment learn bad habits, but at least get game experience.  Summer ball is what you make it

ricepig

Quote from: Frogger on August 09, 2013, 04:50:30 pm
If you don't know when basketball was at its peak you really don't have a clue.

Bird and Magic? Anyway, you are the only one who,doesn't have a clue about AAU basketball at the elite level. Oh, and good luck on your church league team.

bbfan89

I've heard more decent arguments against AAU than for it.  It is an absolute fact that a lot of the coaches and "assistants" only want to rub shoulders with the state's talent because it makes them feel special.  One, in particular, who has been around the Wings program for quite some time thinks he has the right to talk to kids however he wants to and drops the "f bomb" regularly when things are going his team's way.  What a fantastic role model and Crawford condones it.  The guy I am talking about couldn't even control his own son's behavior.  Even though his son doesn't play for the Wings anymore, he is still there to rub shoulders with everybody else.  I know this is only one specific example of a bad influence for AAU participants, but what I see over and over is more adult assistants travelling with the team than team members, which is ridiculous.  Ask for keeping kids busy in the summer so they don't wander, that is the job of parents and guardians and kids simply knowing right from wrong.  From personal experience, put a group of young teenage boys in a hotel room and tell me you are waiting for disaster to occur.  AAU basketball and U-trip baseball are detrimental to local sports in every way.  Take the most talented athletes off of any team and any sport and it makes the whole team/league suffer.  AAU is about individuals and high school is about teams.  That is the simple difference.

Brian G

Certainly there are bad examples in AAU and I actually know of your reference.  But again, you are calling out a certain program and they probably should be scorned for some of their conduct and practices.

But there are just as bad coaches in local MAYB events.

One thing generally is the ref'g is better at the better events and at higher classifications.  Many ref's move up to higher classes if they cut the mustard.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

My experience is with the Arkansas Hawks coached by Bill Winston, as i have said before, it was great for my nephew, he is playing D-1 ball on a scholarship as a result of his AAU ball. He is the only white basketball player in the SWAC. im sure there are some bad aau team and coaches in arkansas, but i have not had to deal with them.

Frogger

Quote from: mockingJ on August 09, 2013, 05:35:57 pm
AAU is wayyyyyyyyyy overused!!  There are some fantastic opportunities in summer basketball, but there is real traveling involved.  Most "aau" teams in this state are run by rec league wannabe coaches or dads that go to local tournaments or simply "travel" to Dallas and Memphis every weekend to play the same teams over and over.  These tournaments are usually hit and miss..... Many players in this environment learn bad habits, but at least get game experience.  Summer ball is what you make it
this is so true

Frogger

Quote from: bbfan89 on August 09, 2013, 06:04:38 pm
I've heard more decent arguments against AAU than for it.  It is an absolute fact that a lot of the coaches and "assistants" only want to rub shoulders with the state's talent because it makes them feel special.  One, in particular, who has been around the Wings program for quite some time thinks he has the right to talk to kids however he wants to and drops the "f bomb" regularly when things are going his team's way.  What a fantastic role model and Crawford condones it.  The guy I am talking about couldn't even control his own son's behavior.  Even though his son doesn't play for the Wings anymore, he is still there to rub shoulders with everybody else.  I know this is only one specific example of a bad influence for AAU participants, but what I see over and over is more adult assistants travelling with the team than team members, which is ridiculous.  Ask for keeping kids busy in the summer so they don't wander, that is the job of parents and guardians and kids simply knowing right from wrong.  From personal experience, put a group of young teenage boys in a hotel room and tell me you are waiting for disaster to occur.  AAU basketball and U-trip baseball are detrimental to local sports in every way.  Take the most talented athletes off of any team and any sport and it makes the whole team/league suffer.  AAU is about individuals and high school is about teams.  That is the simple difference.
nailed it Sir

Frogger

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2013, 05:45:33 pm

Bird and Magic? Anyway, you are the only one who,doesn't have a clue about AAU basketball at the elite level. Oh, and good luck on your church league team.
um you left out Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Hakeem, Jabbar, Thomas, Pippen, etc...  I'm way to out of shape to play church league

mack

Very true.  There is a huge difference between the 'elite' programs and our rank and file AAU teams.  But, that's no abberation.  The same can be said of Gold level ball in softball and high level volleyball.  The best programs usually have the best coaches.  I said usually, not always.  The best players are playing at the elite level, and for the most part benefit from the experience.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on August 12, 2013, 07:45:52 am

Very true.  There is a huge difference between the 'elite' programs and our rank and file AAU teams.  But, that's no abberation.  The same can be said of Gold level ball in softball and high level volleyball.  The best programs usually have the best coaches.  I said usually, not always.  The best players are playing at the elite level, and for the most part benefit from the experience.

Anyone that didn't think the Wings U15 team wasn't well coached, doesn't know basketball. Are there some teams that don't have good coaches, you bet, but that could be said about high school basketball, too.

GrizzlyBaseball

Quote from: Frogger on August 09, 2013, 04:51:20 pm
I will say AAU isn't as bad as utrip baseball, it's killing the sport.

My kids don't play basketball so I can't speak to AAU but I have been involved in Utrip baseball for several years and I think my observations would be similar for both.  I don't necessarily think utrip is killing baseball, but I do think it can kill the character of many kids (and their parents).  I have coached a fairly successful Utrip baseball team for 5 years, 9 years old to 13.  After each and every season you have to deal with the scavenger coaches who try to steal players from every other team around.  And too many parents view this as some kind of badge of honor that little Johnny is being "recruited" for another team.  For many parents there is zero loyalty to the people who put in the work of coaching, raising money, ordering uniforms, scheduling practices and games, etc., etc.  Whatever will help little Johnny win another trophy.  And for some of the coaches it's just a sort of self-aggrandizement or they are trying to build a team for their sub par talent kid.  And like most every other sport 95% of these kids won't play baseball past their high school years and some will drop out before high school.   

Nip/Tusk

TSW

reggiebushfan

Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on August 12, 2013, 10:58:50 am
Quote from: Frogger on August 09, 2013, 04:51:20 pm
I will say AAU isn't as bad as utrip baseball, it's killing the sport.
And like most every other sport 95% of these kids won't play baseball past their high school years and some will drop out before high school.
and the 5% that do will be sharing 11.7 scholarships with 30 other guys.

Brian G

You've hit on my issue with AAU ball in general.  The Hawks and Wings will generally try to scarf NWA players.  With no major sponsor paying for NWA teams like they do in LR, it's attractive to a lot of kids and parents.

My issue is the back side of it.  They have tryouts, pick a team and them start their season.  A player will leave his home base team to play for them under the impression his position is set on that new team.  That's how is should work.

But what often happens is the team will continue to spot talent and invite more players onto the team.   With so many players on the team, PT becomes scarce.   You have accumulated a ton of talent that is used to seeing major minutes and it's tight from the first event.  But they make it worse by adding players.  Good players get shoved down the bench and barely play.

Eventually, some of these players quit and intend to go back to their old team so they can find the court again.  The problem is their old team has backfilled their spot and it's not fair to that team to add him back.

I've seen this a lot.

I just wish these truly elite teams with the sponsorships would stay committed to the kids they start with each year.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: B.G. on August 12, 2013, 07:08:30 pm
You've hit on my issue with AAU ball in general.  The Hawks and Wings will generally try to scarf NWA players.  With no major sponsor paying for NWA teams like they do in LR, it's attractive to a lot of kids and parents.

My issue is the back side of it.  They have tryouts, pick a team and them start their season.  A player will leave his home base team to play for them under the impression his position is set on that new team.  That's how is should work.

But what often happens is the team will continue to spot talent and invite more players onto the team.   With so many players on the team, PT becomes scarce.   You have accumulated a ton of talent that is used to seeing major minutes and it's tight from the first event.  But they make it worse by adding players.  Good players get shoved down the bench and barely play.

Eventually, some of these players quit and intend to go back to their old team so they can find the court again.  The problem is their old team has backfilled their spot and it's not fair to that team to add him back.

I've seen this a lot.

I just wish these truly elite teams with the sponsorships would stay committed to the kids they start with each year.

I had dealings with the Hawks for 3 summers, i dont recall Bill Winston ever doing this. He pretty much had the same core of players the entire time (all 3 summers). He would pick up players if someone couldnt make a certain tourney.

But i know it happened with another team, because they tried to get my nephew to swap more than once.

neds

AAU is what U choose it to be as a parent. The naive can get taken advantage of , no doubt about that. As stated above many programs 'do the shuffle' on rosters and I have seen the same team play two different weekends and only recognize 3 of the 10 players from the last tournament. That is wrong , but like many things you do in life you need to do your homework to know what you are signing up for.
We were lucky I guess. My son played for credible organizations, but most importantly for credible coaches and never had an issue. I understand our experience may be in the minority.
It worked well for us.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

August 12, 2013, 07:56:10 pm #118 Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:00:15 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: neds on August 12, 2013, 07:46:01 pm
AAU is what U choose it to be as a parent. The naive can get taken advantage of , no doubt about that. As stated above many programs 'do the shuffle' on rosters and I have seen the same team play two different weekends and only recognize 3 of the 10 players from the last tournament. That is wrong , but like many things you do in life you need to do your homework to know what you are signing up for.
We were lucky I guess. My son played for credible organizations, but most importantly for credible coaches and never had an issue. I understand our experience may be in the minority.
It worked well for us.

I agree. Also got to meet some great people because of aau.

Brian G

As with all things, there is good and bad in levels of all sports.  I'm glad you guys have had relatively good experiences.

arballer

So let me get this straight. Bentonville wanted to hire Marcus Monk as an assistant basketball coach, but there was something to do with he didn't have the proper college credits or enough to get certified. So then his mother looses her job and she gets hired by the school in the library  ( for a job that she had no prior experience for) and Bentonville gets the top prized transfer in the state. This doesn't throw up any red flags? Didn't his mother have a some sort of plant worker job in the town they were from? How does she go to the top of the list ahead of the other applicants that were probably more qualified? If this is all true and it may not be Bentonville just got away with a big one and bought themselves a winning team at the other schools expense!!!

Frogger

Quote from: arballer on October 18, 2013, 12:04:00 pm
So let me get this straight. Bentonville wanted to hire Marcus Monk as an assistant basketball coach, but there was something to do with he didn't have the proper college credits or enough to get certified. So then his mother looses her job and she gets hired by the school in the library  ( for a job that she had no prior experience for) and Bentonville gets the top prized transfer in the state. This doesn't throw up any red flags? Didn't his mother have a some sort of plant worker job in the town they were from? How does she go to the top of the list ahead of the other applicants that were probably more qualified? If this is all true and it may not be Bentonville just got away with a big one and bought themselves a winning team at the other schools expense!!!
How can it be at the other teams expense?

arballer

Quote from: Frogger on October 18, 2013, 12:31:26 pm
How can it be at the other teams expense?
i wasn't speaking monetarily, but at their expense of winning games against Bentonville. Face it without Monk Bentonville probably finishes 5th in conference and with him they compete for top 2 spot. I do not think they will win a state championship, but are much better with no help from coaching.

SouthpawSensation

No, she worked with the East Poinsett County School District, where she wasn't even making $15,000 per year (I think it was a 9-month contract).

arballer

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on October 21, 2013, 10:35:13 pm
No, she worked with the East Poinsett County School District, where she wasn't even making $15,000 per year (I think it was a 9-month contract).
Well at least that is better that she had a school back ground. If she walks in off the street and applies for this job do you really think she would get it if she didn't have Malik for a son?

Brian G

Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 12:31:16 pm
Well at least that is better that she had a school back ground. If she walks in off the street and applies for this job do you really think she would get it if she didn't have Malik for a son?
With experience and the size of the district it's not unreasonable to thing she could get the job with or withour Malik as her son.

arballer

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2013, 01:03:26 pm
Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 12:31:16 pm
With experience and the size of the district it's not unreasonable to thing she could get the job with or withour Malik as her son.
BG couldn't agree with you less. If he isn't her son she never gets an interview. Interview compliments of McMahan and Passmore.

Brian G

Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 07:49:03 pm
BG couldn't agree with you less. If he isn't her son she never gets an interview. Interview compliments of McMahan and Passmore.
You're inaccurate.  His ending up in Bentonville was not initiated from those two guys.

You're making a statement that you can't prove.  "Never gets an interview" is just incorrect.

arballer

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2013, 07:59:14 pm
You're inaccurate.  His ending up in Bentonville was not initiated from those two guys.

You're making a statement that you can't prove.  "Never gets an interview" is just incorrect.
First of all I did not say they initiated his coming here. That was done by McMahan wanting to hire his brother (Marcus) as an assistant Basketball coach. They merely facilitated his coming here by his mother being hired and if you do not think this is true you live in make believe land. No different than when you used to see a college hire a high school coach to get a player. Wake up. Do you think he came to Bentonville because they have traditionally been such a basketball powerhouse in the state?

Brian G

Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 08:35:42 pm

First of all I did not say they initiated his coming here. That was done by McMahan wanting to hire his brother (Marcus) as an assistant Basketball coach. They merely facilitated his coming here by his mother being hired and if you do not think this is true you live in make believe land. No different than when you used to see a college hire a high school coach to get a player. Wake up. Do you think he came to Bentonville because they have traditionally been such a basketball powerhouse in the state?
You've been listening to too many rumors and are leaping to too many conclusions.

arballer

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2013, 08:40:53 pm
Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 08:35:42 pm

You've been listening to too many rumors and are leaping to too many conclusions.
you would be amazed at what I know to be true and what is rumor. It does make for a good argument though.

Brian G

She didn't land a plum job.  Hey, I'm a Fayetteville guy and I wished he'd have gone to FHS.  As it is, I get to see him play in a better league for his long term development.  It'll be fun watching him play.

People move all the time for a variety of reasons.  Not all of them are sinister.  My only problem with this move is with the facilitator (non-BHS person).  He could have ended up at FHS too.

BHS is the largest school district in the state and employees over a 1000 people.  Getting a job in the district is not that tough. 

Brian G

Quote from: arballer on October 22, 2013, 08:45:12 pm
you would be amazed at what I know to be true and what is rumor. It does make for a good argument though.
Not really.  Truth is unarguable. 

arballer

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2013, 08:49:39 pm
She didn't land a plum job.  Hey, I'm a Fayetteville guy and I wished he'd have gone to FHS.  As it is, I get to see him play in a better league for his long term development.  It'll be fun watching him play.

People move all the time for a variety of reasons.  Not all of them are sinister.  My only problem with this move is with the facilitator (non-BHS person).  He could have ended up at FHS too.

BHS is the largest school district in the state and employees over a 1000 people.  Getting a job in the district is not that tough.
With that being said I totally agree. He should be at Fayetteville, NLR or another LR school if it was truly to further his basketball career. I am a huge fan of the Fayetteville basketball program and think it is one of top 4 in state. Enough  we both agree at least that certain people had a hand in him going there whoever they may be!

Spaulding

She is no where near working for the B'ville School District.  Nor is she working for anything close to a vendor job.  Again, this was a few weeks ago or maybe longer.  Very sweet, humble lady.  Almost overwhelmed at the school.  i don't know anything about them trying to hire Marcus. 

Regardless, I don't think anyone in Fayetteville will cast stones regarding transfers....

Brian G

I don't think "Fayetteville" has 'cast stones' on this matter.  Not me or anyone that I'm aware of that is connected to Purple.

So kick it out, we're did she land?

Spaulding

Quote from: B.G. on October 29, 2013, 05:54:07 pm
I don't think "Fayetteville" has 'cast stones' on this matter.  Not me or anyone that I'm aware of that is connected to Purple.

So kick it out, we're did she land?
I don't think it is my place to say. It is by no means a glamorous job. Health care related and not great pay. Again, she was a nice lady. Whether it was her or Marcus, they were trying to get family into a better environment with better opportunities. At least currently, I don't think the income has increased substantially vs the cost of living. That is simply speculation however. Now I would also speculate that there may be a few more opportunities in the future in NWA than where they were previously. I moved to NWA 15 or so years ago for that very reason.

Brian G

You can't blame her a lick for seeking better opp's.

ricepig

Shoot, we have a brand new $400 mil hospital opening up here in Jonesboro, could have saved some gas money.   ;D

bdubyab60

maliks mom is a very sweet lady. Her job I guess you could say is health related if you want to. JMO though Marcus benefited most.

Billyo62

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2013, 09:40:39 am
Shoot, we have a brand new $400 mil hospital opening up here in Jonesboro, could have saved some gas money.   ;D
Awesome, under Obama no one but the poor can afford to go there.

Spaulding

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 30, 2013, 04:14:14 pm
maliks mom is a very sweet lady. Her job I guess you could say is health related if you want to. JMO though Marcus benefited most.
Yes- what I know is what she said and not specific at all. Marcus is trying to take care of Malik. From what I hear the educational demands are a little different for Malik. Apparently, he is a rather humble kid, at least thus far at a new school. Kids all know that he is supposedly a stud and he still is well grounded.

bdubyab60

I know the family very well. Jackie and my mom worked together at the school. And they still talk on the phone. She's road with me to many ballgames. Malik will do good any where he goes he's just that good of a player.

The overall goal for Malik is professional ball. But you better believe that big brother benefited in some way. With JTown just up the road, a better basketball school than bentonville, and all the practice facilities they would need right there. Then to move halfway across the state. I'm not saying Marcus isn't helping Malik but he's helping himself to.

Frogger

He would have a better shot at the NFL

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: Frogger on October 31, 2013, 02:49:33 pm

That is the lie his brother was told.  Marcus would be in the NBA now if he had played only basketball.

bdubyab60

Answer is simple no Marcus wouldn't have. He was a very good high school player. Malik is better now than Marcus ever was and I've seen both for many years. Marcus reached the best he would do by going over seas or D league. He should have went pro his junior year

Spaulding

Frogger

Quote from: OlGuyWicker on November 01, 2013, 12:37:37 am

That is the lie his brother was told.  Marcus would be in the NBA now if he had played only basketball.
False.  First of all he made the NFL.  Secondly the NBA doesnt have much room for 6-5 guys who cant handle and shoot threes

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: Frogger on November 15, 2013, 02:58:25 pm
Quote from: OlGuyWicker on November 01, 2013, 12:37:37 am

False.  First of all he made the NFL.  Secondly the NBA doesnt have much room for 6-5 guys who cant handle and shoot threes
Coming out of High School Marcus was a better player than Ronnie Brewer was.  Marcus made a difference in the 2 or 3 games he played for Pel, before being ruled ineligible.  Had he focused on basketball and developed his skill set and body for basketball instead of a football frame and football injuries, he would have been in the NBA now, and the Razorbacks would have probably have been in the NCAA tourney a couple of more times. 

Brian G

I don't think you can say with certainty either way.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas