• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoxie vs Rison round 1

Started by Zebras98, November 03, 2018, 01:01:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MR#1

I've been around for 7 of them also. My preference is just different with regard to discussion boards for talking smack. It does increase pressure and can affect confidence. Just let the players' play do the talking. If you feel that they are truly that confident, then keep talking.

RHScats

If 16-17 and 18 year olds need to be motivated come playoff time by fans (most of which have never taken a snap of competitive football) on an internet sports forum then smack talking is the least of their concerns.

1wildcat

Quote from: MR#1 on November 08, 2018, 10:27:43 am
I've been around for 7 of them also. My preference is just different with regard to discussion boards for talking smack. It does increase pressure and can affect confidence. Just let the players' play do the talking. If you feel that they are truly that confident, then keep talking.
To each their own. That's why I said l disagree but that doesn't make either of us wrong in our approach. I just happen to believe we have as good a shot as any and better than most. Smackover at Smackover is gonna be a tuff one providing we make it that far. We get by them we should be just fine with Booneville.

MR#1

I agree that Smackover will be tough. They were a tough team when I played in the late '70s, well coached and good athletes. However, at the moment, my focus is on Hoxie and then Mayflower (if the experts are correct). (I was on a team that learned the hard way about overlooking opponents. Wish to this day that that team could have played that game over (Bradley, 1978).) Second-round and third-round games can be tricky. Most had penciled the 'Cats in last year over Danville, but we were halted. (Great effort and a good game though.)

Go Cats!

WonderWartHawg

Last stint the Cats spent in 3A, they were competitive but it became obvious that by about the third round of the playoffs that depth became a huge factor.  Most 3A teams, especially the ones that get that deep, weren't having to play as many players both ways and they usually had more players to give starters a short rest.

Going from one of the larger fish in the 2A pond to a smaller fish in the 3A makes a difference.

That said, this appears to be one of the better Rison teams talent wise and depth wise in the last few years.
That doesn't guarantee a thing though. There are other good teams out there as well.

1wildcat

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 08, 2018, 10:24:55 am
I don't think it's necessary to provide bulletin board material for our opponents in order to be proud of our team.  And it's not necessary to smack talk—unless you're twelve years old.  Rison has the best team in 2A, 3A and 4A and that will be revealed over time.
If you choose to have no pride or confidence that's totally up to you. Just about everyone on this board is talking smack. I guess you can't see that. But what's really not necessary is you or anyone else trying to tell another fan how to be a fan. The best thing is for people to worry about themselves and live up to their own expectations because to be honest I couldn't care less about what you think is necessary.

1wildcat

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 08, 2018, 10:24:02 am
Actually, most of the contrary posts are in response to claims by posters like you that Rison has the championship all but sewed up.
Says the poster that thinks Mayflower is on their way to Little Rock. I guess anything is possible, but the odds are greater that Mayflower gets mercy ruled in round two.

1wildcat

Quote from: hootingowl on November 07, 2018, 08:02:27 am
Not to make excuses but mcgehee did lose there best running back the week of the rison game for disciplinary reasons. Best running back, and linebacker. Who knows could have made a difference. Rison is very good, but mcgehee is just as good with a bunch of underclassmen
Lot of people underestimating McGehee this year.

bootsie84

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 05:26:34 pm
If you choose to have no pride or confidence that's totally up to you
I don't know where you got the idea that I have no confidence or pride. I have confidence in myself, my town and my team and I don't need to put others down in order to demonstrate it.

I haven't seen anyone tell you how to be fan either. What we don't need is material that other teams can use as motivation against us and that, I believe, is the point that MR#1 was making.

1wildcat

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 08, 2018, 05:58:49 pm
I don't know where you got the idea that I have no confidence or pride. I have confidence in myself, my town and my team and I don't need to put others down in order to demonstrate it.

I haven't seen anyone tell you how to be fan either. What we don't need is material that other teams can use as motivation against us and that, I believe, is the point that MR#1 was making.

The point is I nor anyone else need your approval for anything. Post your comments as you see fit and I'll do the same. You do not have to agree with anything I post, so don't bother trying to tell me what WE need.

bootsie84

I'm trying to put the kids first.

RHScats

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 08, 2018, 05:58:49 pm

round 1 is here.  If their are any kids on any team that need motivation from anything other than the opportunity to bring home a championship then they shouldn't even throw on the pads Friday night.

1wildcat

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 08, 2018, 06:13:16 pm
I'm trying to put the kids first.

That's great! But so am I. We have different opinions about what WE (The Rison Wildcats) need as far as fan support, but that"s OK we don"t have to agree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The only thing that really matters is that we all continue to show up and support these kids the best we can. Once a Wildcat always a Wildcat!

hootingowl

They are good no doubt. But saying they better than all 4A teams is a little far fetched.

1wildcat

November 08, 2018, 06:46:32 pm #64 Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:04:18 pm by 1wildcat
Quote from: hootingowl on November 08, 2018, 06:40:11 pm
They are good no doubt. But saying they better than all 4A teams is a little far fetched.
Who said that?
OK Oldman has pointed out where that came from. But it's opinion from a fan, and may or may not be true. One thing is for sure though, at this time there is no proof that it's not. ;D

Jimbo Morphis

I don't think it's necessary to provide bulletin board material for our opponents in order to be proud of our team.  And it's not necessary to smack talk—unless you're twelve years old.  Rison has the best team in 2A, 3A and 4A and that will be revealed over time.
Weeeeeeeeee

blackandoldgold

Most coaches play up the other team & downplay their own. No matter the mismatch, the better team's coach always lays accolades on the weaker team. Check out what coach Saban of Alabama does. Listening to him, you would assume the UA had a chance to win the Ark - Alabama game this year.

NEVER do you hear a coach worth his salt openly brag or boast that his team is the best & can't lose.

A VERY reliable Rison source personally told him that Rison coach Totty said he has never seen the playoffs as loaded with good teams as they are this year. The championship is wide open.

Sooooo, why don't we all act charitable, no matter if you think you're team is the best & gonna win. As fans, let's act like good coaches & be good sports!!!

And I've been around for the last seven Rison state championships too. Personally been to all their state football championship games, win or lose except in 1950. 1970 - win, 1982 - win, 1987 - lose, 1990 - win, 1991 - win, 1994 - lose, 1995 - win, 2000 - win, 2004 - win, & 2015 - lose; 10 championship games total.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 08:17:51 pm
Most coaches play up the other team & downplay their own. No matter the mismatch, the better team's coach always lays accolades on the weaker team. Check out what coach Saban of Alabama does. Listening to him, you would assume the UA had a chance to win the Ark - Alabama game this year.

NEVER do you hear a coach worth his salt openly brag or boast that his team is the best & can't lose.

A VERY reliable Rison source personally told him that Rison coach Totty said he has never seen the playoffs as loaded with good teams as they are this year. The championship is wide open.

Sooooo, why don't we all act charitable, no matter if you think you're team is the best & gonna win. As fans, let's act like good coaches & be good sports!!!

And I've been around for the last seven Rison state championships too. Personally been to all their state football championship games, win or lose except in 1950. 1970 - win, 1982 - win, 1987 - lose, 1990 - win, 1991 - win, 1994 - lose, 1995 - win, 2000 - win, 2004 - win, & 2015 - lose; 10 championship games total.

Hog wash! If this team is so sensitive and weak minded that anything I or anyone else post on a message board will have any effect what so ever on the outcome of a game, they may as well stay home because they are beat before they even get started.

If this team does not believe in themselves as much as I believe in them, they may as well stay home.

Coaches tell that crap to the media, not their own team. They do everything they can to make their team believe they are better than their opponent.

This team needs the confidence and attitude that they can go out and tell their opponent were going to come out and run this ball down your throat and there is nothing you can do about it because we are better than you.

Fortunately I believe that is the attitude this team has.

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 08:35:56 pm
Hog wash! If this team is so sensitive and weak minded that anything I or anyone else post on a message board will have any effect what so ever on the outcome of a game, they may as well stay home because they are beat before they even get started.

If this team does not believe in themselves as much as I believe in them, they may as well stay home.

Coaches tell that crap to the media, not their own team. They do everything they can to make their team believe they are better than their opponent.

This team needs the confidence and attitude that they can go out and tell their opponent were going to come out and run this ball down your throat and there is nothing you can do about it because we are better than you.

Fortunately I believe that is the attitude this team has.

Go ahead & run your mouth, but make those words sweet. That way when you have to eat them they won't taste so bad.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 09:07:17 pm
Go ahead & run your mouth, but make those words sweet. That way when you have to eat them they won't taste so bad.

LOL, go ahead and tell team to hang it up, because you don't believe they can do it.

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 09:09:24 pm
LOL, go ahead and tell team to hang it up, because you don't believe they can do it.

Never said RHS wouldn't win. Just don't have to run off at the mouth about it. I can certainly be courteous to other fans & their kids playing ball.

This is hysterical. Rison fans are going to beat up on each other, figuratively speaking of course. Any visitors that want to watch, come on down to RHS Friday night.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 09:16:35 pm
Never said RHS wouldn't win. Just don't have to run off at the mouth about it. I can certainly be courteous to other fans & their kids playing ball.

This is hysterical. Rison fans are going to beat up on each other, figuratively speaking of course. Any visitors that want to watch, come on down to RHS Friday night.

It wouldn't be any problem what so ever if you would just mind your own business and quit trying to others what they should and shouldn't do. I don't give a hoot what you think!

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 09:23:27 pm
It wouldn't be any problem what so ever if you would just mind your own business and quit trying to others what they should and shouldn't do. I don't give a hoot what you think!

Just another case of redneckery.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 09:47:04 pm
Just another case of redneckery.
I understand, but trust me I don't hold it against you.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 03, 2018, 11:59:27 pm
Before everyone disregards Hoxie, remember Hoxie defeated 4A member Trumann back on 8/31. Trumann finished 7-3 overall & 6-1 in their respective conference.

Also as a 5th seed Hoxie scored 108 points all together against the top 4 teams in their respective conference. That's an average of 27 points per outing against their conference's best teams.

If they can figure out a way to slow down Rison's potent ground attack, then they'll make a game out of it.

Read somewhere that Rison has given up less points defensively than any team in any classification in the state. They're strength of schedule hasn't been great, but you play the schedule given you.

They don't hurt themselves with a lot of turnovers either. Believe they've only fumbled once & that was @ McGehee.

Safe travels for everyone going to any game Friday night, especially those visitors, many of whom are traveling a good distance.
And the 7 teams Truman defeated combined for a record of 22-48

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 10:28:44 pm
And the 7 teams Truman defeated combined for a record of 22-48

Rison's victories were over teams with a combined record of 34-55, so now what.

Trumann beat 2 teams, Gosnell & Westside, both ranked higher than anyone we've beaten this year.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 10:45:54 pm
Rison's victories were over teams with a combined record of 34-55, so now what.

Trumann beat 2 teams, Gosnell & Westside, both ranked higher than anyone we've beaten this year.

The 7 worst teams we beat were better than 22-48 not much but better still.

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 10:48:23 pm
The 7 worst teams we beat were better than 22-48 not much but better still.
Thankfully we agree on something. I've said all along when people have doubted our competition that we can only play the schedule given us, mostly by the AAA.

McGehee was a preseason #2 team & look at the teams Fordyce lost to. Five of the better teams in the state in small classification ball. And some of those games were close.

Hope you make the game Friday night & see a Wildcat victory.

I've had my heart broken before in the playoffs. Losing to Mt Ida, Mansfield, Walnut Ridge at home, & at Danville last year. Those were tough losses, especially Mt Ida & Walnut Ridge at home. They dominated us.

I've asked some of my friends. Are we that good this year or is our competition that bad? Their answer they gave, probably some of both.

Dollarway was bigger & faster yet we won 59-6. Some many questions yet to be answered about our team this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for that 9th championship you've talked about. That would be awesome. Plus I'm not getting any younger as the years roll on. Like to see the kids win some more at WMS.

1wildcat

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 11:05:12 pm
Thankfully we agree on something. I've said all along when people have doubted our competition that we can only play the schedule given us, mostly by the AAA.

McGehee was a preseason #2 team & look at the teams Fordyce lost to. Five of the better teams in the state in small classification ball. And some of those games were close.

Hope you make the game Friday night & see a Wildcat victory.

I've had my heart broken before in the playoffs. Losing to Mt Ida, Mansfield, Walnut Ridge at home, & at Danville last year. Those were tough losses, especially Mt Ida & Walnut Ridge at home. They dominated us.

I've asked some of my friends. Are we that good this year or is our competition that bad? Their answer they gave, probably some of both.

Dollarway was bigger & faster yet we won 59-6. Some many questions yet to be answered about our team this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for that 9th championship you've talked about. That would be awesome. Plus I'm not getting any younger as the years roll on. Like to see the kids win some more at WMS.
We are long over due. I can't hardly believe it's been 14 years, that just doesn't even seem possible. Horatio had to have been one of the biggest let downs ever, as shocking as that loss was I think they went on and won state that year. If memory serves me right didn't they beat us 3-0 on our own field that at the time was in about same shape that Smackover's is now. Rison has had some great one's over the years and I believe this team could play with with the best of them.

blackandoldgold

November 08, 2018, 11:49:27 pm #79 Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:54:58 pm by blackandoldgold
Quote from: 1wildcat on November 08, 2018, 11:23:57 pm
We are long over due. I can't hardly believe it's been 14 years, that just doesn't even seem possible. Horatio had to have been one of the biggest let downs ever, as shocking as that loss was I think they went on and won state that year. If memory serves me right didn't they beat us 3-0 on our own field that at the time was in about same shape that Smackover's is now. Rison has had some great one's over the years and I believe this team could play with with the best of them.
1985 Class A
First Round: Rison 28 Mineral Springs 14 / Horatio 13 Smackover 12
Second Round: Rison 37 Mountain Pine 6 / Horatio 28 Stamps 7
Semifinals: Horatio 14 Rison 6 / Harding Academy 10 Hazen 0
Footnote: Horatio capped an 18-play, 91 yard drive with a 6-yard scoring run on fourth & goal with 4:07 left in the game to win it over Rison.
Championship: Horatio 14 Harding Academy 7

Rison finished the year 11-1 while Horatio finished 11-2.

Rison coached by Trent Young, finished 1985 as the highest scoring offense in the state in any classification with 461 points, a 38.4 pt per game avg. Rivercrest was second with 437 points, a 33.6 per game avg.

Marvell (11-3) won 2A, Rivercrest (13-0) won 3A, & LR Catholic (11-3) won 4A the same year.

1wildcat

November 09, 2018, 12:14:47 am #80 Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:02:12 am by 1wildcat
Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 08, 2018, 11:49:27 pm
1985 Class A
First Round: Rison 28 Mineral Springs 14 / Horatio 13 Smackover 12
Second Round: Rison 37 Mountain Pine 6 / Horatio 28 Stamps 7
Semifinals: Horatio 14 Rison 6 / Harding Academy 10 Hazen 0
Footnote: Horatio capped an 18-play, 91 yard drive with a 6-yard scoring run on fourth & goal with 4:07 left in the game to win it over Rison.
Championship: Horatio 14 Harding Academy 7

Rison finished the year 11-1 while Horatio finished 11-2.

Rison coached by Trent Young, finished 1985 as the highest scoring offense in the state in any classification with 461 points, a 38.4 pt per game avg. Rivercrest was second with 437 points, a 33.6 per game avg.

Marvell (11-3) won 2A, Rivercrest (13-0) won 3A, & LR Catholic (11-3) won 4A the same year.

33 years ago, man how time flies. But your right my sister in law came over and stayed with my pregnant wife while my older brother ( a member of the 1970 championship team) and I went to the playoff games. My oldest daughter was born Jan. 5th

Speaking of that 1970 team, (now I'm going off memory so cut me a little slack) they beat I believe it was Hot Springs Lakeside 87-0 And was the first Rison team to not lose to Fordyce. It ended in a tie.

The next older brother was a member of another Great Team that should have won it all in 1974 when they lost out to seems like it was Atkins 15-14. I believe this was actually the first team to beat Fordyce

Then my younger brother was member of the 1982 Championship team.

Myself, was a member of one of the worst Rison teams in the history of Rison Wildcat football 1980. However I wasn't involved in the last year as I left school in 79

Anyway Rison Wildcat blood runs very deep in my family.

blackandoldgold

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 09, 2018, 12:14:47 am
33 years ago, man how time flies. But your right my sister in law came over and stayed with my pregnant wife while my older brother ( a member of the 1970 championship team) and I went to the playoff games. My oldest daughter was born Jan. 5th

Speaking of that 1970 team, (now I'm going off memory so cut me a little slack) they beat I believe it was Hot Springs Lakeside 87-0 And was the first Rison team to not lose to Fordyce. It ended in a tie.

The next older brother was a member of another Great Team that should have won it all in 1974 when they lost out to seems like it was Atkins 15-14. I believe this was actually the first team to beat Fordyce

Myself, was a member of one of the worst Rison teams in the history of Rison Wildcat football 1980. However I wasn't involved in the last year as I left school in 79

Anyway Rison Wildcat blood runs very deep in my family.
1969 RHS team did indeed beat Lake Hamilton 87-0 & tied Fordyce 6-6. They finished 9-1-1 losing to Ashdown in round one 28-6.

1970 team finished the regular season 7-2-1 and ended up beating Prescott 7-0 for the championship that year at WMS on a blocked punt, scoop & score.

The 1974 team did beat Fordyce and finished the regular season 10-0. Eventually lost to Atkins in the semifinals played that year at WMS 20-7.

The 1980 team finished the regular season 6-4 behind Gould which finished 8-2. RHS lost in the first round of the playoffs that year to Cotton Plant 13-0.

1982 team finished the regular season 7-3 & went on a run before beating Hazen 2-0 at Hazen for the state championship. Game played on a muddy field & decided by a safety.

Jimbo Morphis

You Rison fans remind me a lot of Star City fans.

RHScats

Quote from: Oldman on November 09, 2018, 09:29:41 am
You Rison fans remind me a lot of Star City fans.
only difference is we have more reason to get on here and flex 😂

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RHScats on November 09, 2018, 09:32:41 am
only difference is we have more reason to get on here and flex 😂
No question, I meant when they thought they were good lol.

RHScats

Quote from: Oldman on November 09, 2018, 09:36:10 am
No question, I meant when they thought they were good lol.
regardless to how much smack I talk make no mistake.  I have great concern for Rison's ability to beat Smackover and Booneville.  No doubt we can but either of those teams can put us on the basketball court.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RHScats on November 09, 2018, 09:42:11 am
regardless to how much smack I talk make no mistake.  I have great concern for Rison's ability to beat Smackover and Booneville.  No doubt we can but either of those teams can put us on the basketball court.
Like I said a long time ago I think there are several teams that could win it this year.

CoachGrizzly

So Rison can beat a team like Warren?

RHScats

Quote from: CoachGrizzly on November 09, 2018, 10:03:00 am
So Rison can beat a team like Warren?
it's been established that this guy got in someone's stash.

Jimbo Morphis

DogCatcher

So could Osceola.

KOJACK

Just to name a few...along with about 2 or 3 more

RHScats

Quote from: KOJACK on November 09, 2018, 12:03:51 pm
Just to name a few...along with about 2 or 3 more
nah, Smackover and Booneville.  I have no other concerns.  Thanks though.

RHScats

bootsie84

Quote from: RHScats on November 09, 2018, 10:06:44 am
it's been established that this guy got in someone's stash.
Hey son, if you're talking about me then come see me at the game tonight.  I'll be there.

bootsie84

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 09, 2018, 12:14:47 am

Who was your brother on the 82 team?

RHScats

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 09, 2018, 01:34:20 pm
Hey son, if you're talking about me then come see me at the game tonight.  I'll be there.
u mad bro?  Get those feelings off your shoulder my dude.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 09, 2018, 01:34:20 pm
Where exactly will you be?

bootsie84

Quote from: Oldman on November 09, 2018, 01:58:35 pm
Where exactly will you be?
Either prowling the sidelines or in the bleachers if I get a seat.  Why? Did you want an autograph?

RHScats

Quote from: bootsie84 on November 09, 2018, 02:02:45 pm
Either prowling the sidelines or in the bleachers if I get a seat.  Why? Did you want an autograph?
probably just a picture of the forum warrior idk

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas