• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fearless Friday to Real Life

Started by AT, November 26, 2016, 02:11:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I've thought about doing this post for awhile.

Have any of you longtime posters, or even the shortimers, had an experience, good or bad, where someone unexpectedly came up to you in real life, and called you out by your FF handle?

I haven't had a direct confrontation with anyone, but...

Had an administrator say to me once "It would be sad to see Almatrackster say anything bad about a student athlete." Still not sure to this day if that was a reference to something I said or just a fair warning. I don't ever reference athletes in a negative manner at all so it had to be the latter, but it sounded like the former.

Also have had a few parents come up and thank me for highlighting their son's achievements in a game. Have had a lot of people at track meets ask me if I was Almatrackster and told me I did a good job on the Track and Field forum.

Not much there, but I do have a brother who was a prominent poster on this board and this happened:

He was a lot like me in posting here. Non confrontational, tried to contribute to discussions, talked a lot about Alma athletics. That being said, me and him have some family ties to another area school and we will sometimes talk about that school's athletics on this forum.

Anyways my brother and I were at this small school's conference championship game, just enjoying some Friday night football, but the team we were rooting for (our uncle is the head coach) started losing and it became obvious they were going to. Well the parent of the QB of the team found me first and asked "Are you (insert my brother's FF handle here)?" I said "No...he is." pointing to my brother and not realizing how much I threw him under the bus. Well she tries to rip into him by saying he had badmouthed her QB son on FF and that he didn't need to say that stuff about him. I was perplexed because I knew how my brother posted and he wouldn't badmouth an athlete. We went back and went through all his posts with a fine tooth comb and the only thing we could come up with is that he said that QB had an off game where he was usually not off (actually a compliment). Even QB's brother came in and started ripping into him. We just walked away.

That's a pretty subdued story. What are yours?

WPWells

At college I've had another student yell "HEY FRED BIRD" from across campus. I've seen him around several times and to this day I don't know who he is, just that he's the guy who calls me Fred Bird

Brian G

Well, I do have a few as most would imagine.  :)

Sorry I didn't get to see you face to face last night. I was multi-tasking.

AT

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 26, 2016, 07:33:01 am
At college I've had another student yell "HEY FRED BIRD" from across campus. I've seen him around several times and to this day I don't know who he is, just that he's the guy who calls me Fred Bird

It's strange how people can find out who you are. I have had some non Alma people myself come up to me. Nothing mean, but I'm always like "How are you guys figuring this out? Do I have a sign on my back?"

Longfellow

I've had quite a few instances where people have expressed their disapproval of my posting habits. Our fans, other teams fans, parents. Apparently, it's wrong to say that a team or a player has a bad game. And definitely don't call out fans for being to quiet during games. I've had people send me messages on Facebook and other social media. One guy even threatened to fight me if I said anything else about his kid (all I said was that the kid had poor shot selection). It's funny how especially upset people get over this. They take it way too far

AirWarren

I've had some angry mommy's and daddy's threaten me before.

I've met many people face to face in my years here. Most recently some folks from Hampton and Booneville.

What fascinates me is these sensitive parents that don't like what is said on a message board when their little all star gets called out? If they are D1 material, they better get ready because what is said on fan sites is 10x worse than what is said on here.

Most people in Warren know who I am and  Hembree know I post here. I honestly could care less if someone doesn't like my opinion.

beach bum

beach bum

Almatrackster, I have seriously never heard you say anything that wasn't well thought out so I don't know why anyone would be thinking of you negatively. You and and a few others are for sure some of the most level headed out of frequent posters I see.

beach bum

November 27, 2016, 12:55:11 pm #8 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:01:17 pm by beach bum
People are slowly catching on to me I think. I am not too worried about it. Its in my personality to say whacky things and trust me my opinion is always right you know? haha..... I have never been short of opinions. However, I have never once crossed the line saying something negative personally about a player. I feel I even usually stand up to those that do that on here as they are just 15-18 year old kids. I will say when I think a team is overrated in general but never say it as players personally. I however am not afraid to dish out negative personal opinions on coaches or fan bases(aka bad parents and fans that don't know you should cheer positive plays like Longfellow said) as they are adults and if they can't handle the criticism then a coach is in the wrong profession. I am positive about my town because we are incredibly lucky to have a good fan base and all the coaches for the boys teams including head coaches, coordinators, and assistants are top notch and the community is beyond lucky to have them.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on November 27, 2016, 12:48:54 pm

LMBO

The year I met Mr.B from star city, he goes...."there is a line of parents over there that want to hurt you...." haha. I just laughed and waved toward the star city crowd.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on November 27, 2016, 12:58:06 pm
The year I met Mr.B from star city, he goes...."there is a line of parents over there that want to hurt you...." haha. I just laughed and waved toward the star city crowd.

I do remember those days when Star City was the closest thing to trying to dethrone Warren. Those threads used to get pretty fired up. I'd be in the same predicament if I ever attended a Nashville vs. Prairie Grove game. I attended the 2012 game where we beat them but had not joined FF.

AirWarren

Star city and Warren has always been colorful. Hamburg as of late.

A couple of memorable threads was our games against:
Mena 2001
Brinkley 2001
Nashville 2006/2007

WPWells

I've never had anyone threaten me off the boards (shocking, I know)

Brian G

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 27, 2016, 03:26:39 pm
I've never had anyone threaten me off the boards (shocking, I know)
Well, I can't say that.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on November 27, 2016, 04:07:48 pm
Well, I can't say that.

Someone must have really gotten fired up about the scoreboard or standings page? I have seen some people go bonkers over something wrong when you guys do a fantastic job to be honest. I guess they don't like that 99.9% success rate and won't settle until its 100%.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on November 27, 2016, 03:04:45 pm
Star city and Warren has always been colorful. Hamburg as of late.

A couple of memorable threads was our games against:
Mena 2001
Brinkley 2001
Nashville 2006/2007

Geesh, times have changed seeing Brinkley 2001

Brian G

Quote from: beach bum on November 27, 2016, 04:58:38 pm
Someone must have really gotten fired up about the scoreboard or standings page? I have seen some people go bonkers over something wrong when you guys do a fantastic job to be honest. I guess they don't like that 99.9% success rate and won't settle until its 100%.
Not so much that. but under the name QF I was a little more expressive.

AT

Quote from: beach bum on November 27, 2016, 12:50:59 pm
Almatrackster, I have seriously never heard you say anything that wasn't well thought out so I don't know why anyone would be thinking of you negatively. You and and a few others are for sure some of the most level headed out of frequent posters I see.

When I first started (started my account right out of high school), I probably did say some stuff like "so and so didn't have a good game" and made parents mad. People didn't know who I was on here yet, then.

After a few years of being in education, I personally don't even say on a forum that an athlete had a bad game. Not because I think it's wrong, I personally think this board gives these athletes a lot of attention they wouldn't otherwise get, but because I think it's not worth the trouble. As Longfellow, AW, BG, etc, have pointed out, you can say someone had an "off night" and a parent will throttle you for that.

I think it's awesome that AW says what's on his mind and doesn't care what others think. The personalities like RD, DR (Ivan if you will), Venny, ahsalum (Steve Perry if you will), and some of the 4A trolls, have given this board character.

It would have been old and boring if FF had been cut and dry when I read this growing up. I was a long time reader in junior high and high school. My brother posted on here so I read the 4A/5A board a lot. Some great threads with some hilarious stuff and some stuff that would be good old trash talk. but it's not really my personality, especially since I'm in education now. I try to give my own contributions to this board, now.

I think the board is somewhat subdued now. I think the website itself has become more mainstreamed (not saying this is a bad thing) and you see less of it's old character. FF still gets record breaking views and I think just a lot more people read now while a small majority drive the narrative.

One of my favorite recent memories and one that reminded me of old FF was when Clarksville and Alma had a big basketball game at the Palace. 2013 I believe. Steve riled up a lot of Clarksville fans on that forum. Trash talk all week. I went to that game and it was PACKED. Best regular season attendance ever probably. I was on the visitors side and actually heard people ask "Where is the Steve Perry guy?" Funniest thing ever. (In plain sight by the way).

This board still has those threads pop up here and now. It's funny because I think the 7A-6A break up watered down sports and watered down the forums here.

Brian G

You're smack on about going to 7A/6A hurting chat. It was too diluted.  Plus so many coaches got so sensitive about it that kids on many teams were forbidden by their coaches from being on here.

Additionally, other forms of social media have obviously driven the bus and diluted things.  With the social media, people have become a little bit over the top and that's fine on their Twitter, FB, Instagram or whatever.  Their name is on it.  I do wish we had more chatter here but people do not know how to tone it down.  You have both crass and oversensitive at the same time.  It rarely mixes well.

dc24

Most people in Warren know who I am, I think. I used to post a lot about Warren, but haven't done that as much since I got out of college and aren't home as much as I used to be. I was always active on the General Sports board too to defend Arkansas State and talk pro sports so I made some good friends that way, guys I'm still friends with on other social media, but I don't think I've met anyone off of here in person.

I haven't had anyone say anything to me directly about my posts, but I have had some messages passed along to me.  I used to not hold any punches, but now I try to. I'm not as around as much to have too much of an opinion about the high school team so I don't want to say too much. I'm in a position now too where I can't say as much as I used to about A-State and the General Sports board has kind of died so I usually just read now.

That said, it can happen, especially in small towns and with how popular the board has become.

AirWarren

One of the best threads was the first and second meeting of eldorado and fort smith southside. Great reading.

Chief_Osceola™

I've met quite a few posters IRL, and all have been pleasant experiences.  A lot of people who know me know who I am on here, because I don't really keep it a secret.  What's interesting though, is that I think more people from outside of Maumelle know who I am than those in Maumelle.  So far to my knowledge, I've never received any negativity or threats. 

beach bum

I was brand new to the board when that Clarksville/Alma basketball smack talk occurred.... Man that was funny. Those were some loaded teams then.

The Future

I don't know about any of you guys, but you know how when you read a book and your mind acts out whats going on and you put people and faces to the characters? Well I do the same here. As I read what people write, my mind puts faces to the usernames. Who I put might have something to do with what their username reminds me of or a certain post they made that stuck with me. So I'm picturing all these faces talking as I read the posts.

Then the fun part is when you meet one of them in person and youre a bit mind blown cause thats not how you pictured that person to be. I've only met a handful of posters in person, so my imagination is left to deal with the rest. I may or may not picture the Devil himself when I read certain people's comments lol.

OB11

Quote from: The Future on November 28, 2016, 09:05:05 pm
I don't know about any of you guys, but you know how when you read a book and your mind acts out whats going on and you put people and faces to the characters? Well I do the same here. As I read what people write, my mind puts faces to the usernames. Who I put might have something to do with what their username reminds me of or a certain post they made that stuck with me. So I'm picturing all these faces talking as I read the posts.

Then the fun part is when you meet one of them in person and youre a bit mind blown cause thats not how you pictured that person to be. I've only met a handful of posters in person, so my imagination is left to deal with the rest. I may or may not picture the Devil himself when I read certain people's comments lol.

I do the same when listening to the radio.  And when I actually see a picture or see them in person, it throws me off from then on when I hear them. Lol

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: The Future on November 28, 2016, 09:05:05 pm

In case you were wondering about me, yes it's true.  I am dashing😀😀😳😳😳

Lions84

November 29, 2016, 01:14:03 pm #26 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:33:45 pm by Lions84
I remember having feuds on here with the Jerks from Dierks , the Scapper Trash from Nashvile.  The snot nosed prep kids from USC.  I remember when I read that one coach in the Delta had the IT person block FF at his district.  Everyone been nice to me in person and on here except for 2006-2008.

HorseFeathers

Had people ask me if I was HF on FearlessFriday....Had a guy I graduated with ask me if I worked for this place....But probably the best FF to R/L thing I've had happen didn't actually happen to me directly. Friend of mine's little brother graduated from Atkins, and we Both spent a lot of time trolling their fans about 10 years ago(moreso me than him)...but one kid on the team that posted on here a lot, walks up to us before a game, looks at my friend and ask "Well what does HF think about tonights game". And my friend just looks at him with a dead pan look, and says I'm not HF, so I wouldn't know what he thinks. Kids face instantly went from a smug grin to utter shock.

sevenof400

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 29, 2016, 11:11:51 am
In case you were wondering about me, yes it's true.  I am dashing😀😀😳😳😳

...away from what Maynard?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas