• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horatio Football Coach (filled - Robert Collum)

Started by Katdaddy, February 28, 2017, 10:19:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Katdaddy

February 28, 2017, 10:19:31 am Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:40:37 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
I will get it started. Will this be hired from within or will they go outside to hire the next Head Football Coach?

Dr. Defense

depends are there any experienced assistants on staff?

Interestingcall

Are there going to be any other sports attached that could make a difference?

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: JAC08 on February 28, 2017, 12:14:08 pm
Are there going to be any other sports attached that could make a difference?

The only jobs that typically are in head football coach's grasp is AD, baseball & track.  Not sure of Horatio's track status but the other 2 are presently occupied until Spigner decides otherwise.

coachsearch

Who were some of the top candidates when Bennett was hired just last year?

spacesorlaces

Katdaddy

Coach Bennett was hired at Mineral Springs as new football coach

stuck in between

Tough job. Having to compete in the same conference as Prescott, Glen Rose, Centerpoint, and a very up and coming Haskell. With the exception of Gurdon, who will possibly move back down a classification Horatio has the lowest student enrolment of any of the schools in the 3A-5. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest in the program either. I think football is just there to pass the time from one baseball season to the other.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: coachsearch on February 28, 2017, 02:47:57 pm
Who were some of the top candidates when Bennett was hired just last year?

I was under the impression that there was someone already on staff that many Horatio folks supported for the job last season.  Maybe he will get his shot.  Horatio is in a tough spot with football.  Their 3A conference is stacked with talent and Horatio has been a "baseball school" for many years.  Kids will only truly focus on one thing and it seems to be baseball.  They might play football & basketball, but their hearts seem to be in baseball (which is why they are successful and have one of the state's best coaches).  Anyway, I wish Horatio the best of luck finding someone who WANTS to be in Horatio and build a football program.  I hope the community will get behind him and support him.  That's the only way it will work.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on March 01, 2017, 08:49:33 am
I was under the impression that there was someone already on staff that many Horatio folks supported for the job last season.  Maybe he will get his shot.  Horatio is in a tough spot with football.  Their 3A conference is stacked with talent and Horatio has been a "baseball school" for many years.  Kids will only truly focus on one thing and it seems to be baseball.  They might play football & basketball, but their hearts seem to be in baseball (which is why they are successful and have one of the state's best coaches).  Anyway, I wish Horatio the best of luck finding someone who WANTS to be in Horatio and build a football program.  I hope the community will get behind him and support him.  That's the only way it will work.

Specialization will kill athletic programs both big and small.  Crazy how some think this a good idea.

Katdaddy

Horatio was very good in Football and Baseball back in the 1990's so it can be done. It just takes kids and all coaches,kids and the community to have a mindset change.

SWARK16

Quote from: Pat Swilling on March 01, 2017, 09:48:53 am
Specialization will kill athletic programs both big and small.  Crazy how some think this a good idea.

If by crazy you mean they actually win state championships in one sport instead of being average at best in both sports, then yes, its crazy

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Katdaddy on March 01, 2017, 10:21:12 am
Horatio was very good in Football and Baseball back in the 1990's so it can be done. It just takes kids and all coaches,kids and the community to have a mindset change.

It can be done, but not consistently IMO (especially as a small 3A school vs a larger 2A school).  Friendly difference of opinions, Katdaddy.  You still my boy!!

Katdaddy

Sorry Blueblood.. I did not make opinion very clear. I was trying to state that Horatio was very successful in both Football and Baseball with kids that played both sports. I agree with you Blueblood that at a small school it is hard to win consistently when kids specialize..

StrongDawg

Quote from: SWARK16 on March 01, 2017, 11:42:23 am
If by crazy you mean they actually win state championships in one sport instead of being average at best in both sports, then yes, its crazy
Sure, they may be good in baseball, but it's not "right" for a school to neglect other sports just because baseball may be good. Every athlete, in every sport, deserves the support of the school, and community.

SWARK16

I actually agree with you StrongDawg. They do deserve the support. But they also don't deserve to feel like they did something wrong for just playing one sport.

StrongDawg

Quote from: SWARK16 on March 02, 2017, 08:32:34 am
I actually agree with you StrongDawg. They do deserve the support. But they also don't deserve to feel like they did something wrong for just playing one sport.
I completely agree. It falls on the administration to be willing to hire the best coach they can, in each sport, but to also encourage athletes to participate in multiple sports. Kids will follow the precedent set by the administration.

purpleswag

Kids follow the precedent set by their parents. It will be a special coach that can get Daddy out of the scholly clouds and into the reality that most of the kids that specialize don't get scholarships and would be better served to play multiple sports.

Not saying that if they play they have a better chance at getting recruited just that most kids that specialize do so because their parents want them to.

SWARK16

or maybe, just maybe, kids like winning and don't want to spend all summer and fall being a part of a losing program when they can be training all fall and playing for a state championship in the spring.

purpleswag

Quote from: SWARK16 on March 02, 2017, 11:32:28 am
or maybe, just maybe, kids like winning and don't want to spend all summer and fall being a part of a losing program when they can be training all fall and playing for a state championship in the spring.

If training all fall is what leads to state championships in high school then why doesn't specialization lead to scholarships?

I could go with, they don't want to get hurt for baseball, but we have seen more overuse injuries in baseball the last 10 years than we ever have.

To be honest, I feel like in all sports there needs to be some disconnect.

Pat Swilling

128 NFL QB's surveyed -122 played at least 2 sports in HS (95%) nearly 70% played 3 or more. http://

Katdaddy

How many Horatio only kids not transfers have went on to play baseball in college?? I cant imagine it being very many

purpleswag

To be fare the conversation isn't about scholarships just that I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the specialization in baseball or any sport comes mostly from the parents or outside AAU coaches pulling the strings rather than the kids.

SWARK16

Quote from: Pat Swilling on March 02, 2017, 11:51:20 am
128 NFL QB's surveyed -122 played at least 2 sports in HS (95%) nearly 70% played 3 or more. http://

I bet over half, closer to 75% probably, of the 122 that played "2 sports" are counting track as the second sport. Track is nothing more than football off season for 1, and 2, it is not even a "sport" offered at Horatio.

JC Guy

Quote from: purpleswag on March 02, 2017, 12:15:28 pm
To be fare the conversation isn't about scholarships just that I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the specialization in baseball or any sport comes mostly from the parents or outside AAU coaches pulling the strings rather than the kids.
Pswag you are on to something for sure with coaches at the next level wanting to see how many sports the athlete played in high school. I can tell you first hand that through the recruiting process every visit my kid made as he would be introduced to each coach on campus that question would come early in the conversation. I asked one of the recruiters about that and he told me it's two fold 1 - they like to see a kid stay busy working and 2 - it can be another gauge for athleticism.

purpleswag

Quote from: JC Guy on March 02, 2017, 08:33:02 pm
Pswag you are on to something for sure with coaches at the next level wanting to see how many sports the athlete played in high school. I can tell you first hand that through the recruiting process every visit my kid made as he would be introduced to each coach on campus that question would come early in the conversation. I asked one of the recruiters about that and he told me it's two fold 1 - they like to see a kid stay busy working and 2 - it can be another gauge for athleticism.

You are absolutely right, however, I feel like my point is being lost in my example.

Someone had stated that students follow the lead of the admin and if they hire a great coach then he can get the kids out to play football.

My counter is that if the coach wants the kids to come out they needed to get in the ears of the parents who think their son is going to "make it" and won't let him play.

Katdaddy

Just curious, what type of coach do you think would be a good fit at Horatio?

Look A Here

Isn't the Head Baseball Coach also the AD at Horatio?

StrongDawg

Quote from: SWARK16 on March 02, 2017, 11:32:28 am

I don't think it does a lot of good for a young man to have the notion that he shouldn't do something just because he may not win at it. What will they do when they get out into the real world and encounter failure? Where will they learn to overcome failure? Where will they learn that it may take 2-3 years to achieve something worthwhile?
I am not saying that baseball players at Horatio don't bust their tails, but it is fine to play football and not win a championship. Football can teach skill sets that baseball doesn't, just like baseball can teach skill sets that football doesn't.

stuck in between

I saw where this position was filled by Coach Robert Collum. Any information on him? Was this a hire from within?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas