• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 razorback spring game

Started by AirWarren, April 21, 2013, 03:11:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

New attendance record set. 51,088 people.

It was a good and fun atmosphere.

Nemesis

I know you can't tell much from this spring game but how did the offense and defense stack up?

AirWarren

Offense.
We are still strong with the passing. 355 yards in the air. 185 on the ground. You could tell our line is more comfortable with pass block rather than run clock. Only saw 2 penalties, limited drops by WRs, and no fumbles. Line still needs to work a bit. I think Brandon Allen will be the guy. Kiero small was impressive as well as walk on Patrick Arinze at RB. Cody walker and Jonathan Williams also showed flash. Didn't see much TE flash. Give the offense a B-

Defense.
I honestly think they are going to be a good surprise this year. Our Dline and linebackers look like they are fundamentally sound. You can tell the defensive has some real coaches behind them. We are going to have some depth at the line.
I give the defense a B.

We will take some lumps this year no doubt. We don't have the talent in place. But I think our pass game, run game, and defense will be pretty good this year. If we go bowling, give coach BB the coach of the year award.

Go Hogs.

zebradynasty

The key will be the passing game without it...this season wont be a baptism for coach B it will be a drowning! We've tried the power, physical run game before (HDN) so without a solid passing game we will have the same results except this year we have less talent. It was good to hear the passing game seems to be coming along.

ricepig

I don't understand why everyone thinks thus is HDN 2.0, Bielema will pass it. The guy's a head coach, he's not going to beat his head against the wall running it up the gut 3 times in a row. He hired Chaney for a reason. Now, do I expect us to run it more and in future years a whole lot better, you bet. He wants to do the same thing Petrino did, run we you need to in order to win.

zebradynasty

I wouldn't go as far to say he wants to do what BP did passing but yes he wants put the ball in the air...I just don't think he has the talent to do it consistently THIS year!

AirWarren

From what I saw, this team looked very comfortable running routes, pass protection, and passing the ball. I think we will see alot of pass this year.

Now when coach gets his meat and potato recruits, you can bet we will be very balanced team.

I liked what I saw but I'm going to be very realistic as well.

Lionheart88

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 22, 2013, 09:09:28 am
The key will be the passing game without it...this season wont be a baptism for coach B it will be a drowning! We've tried the power, physical run game before (HDN) so without a solid passing game we will have the same results except this year we have less talent. It was good to hear the passing game seems to be coming along.
The same results?  You mean actually getting back to SEC Championship Games?  Going bowling 8 times in 10 years?  I'd take it.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 22, 2013, 11:12:58 am
The same results?  You mean actually getting back to SEC Championship Games?  Going bowling 8 times in 10 years?  I'd take it.

I don't believe that the UA or any school would spend the kind of money they are spending in order to win 8 games and play in 2nd Tier bowl every year. This staff was specifically hired to make Arkansas challege for a SEC title every now and then. Not gonna do it running the ball down people's throat 3 straight plays every series. Got to be more balanced if we are to have a chance. I think he understand that but will not be able to do this year. The run blocking should improve but I think it a stretch to believe this group will roadgrade a path for our backs. They have not been very good at that the last 2 seasons. He will need time.

AirWarren

From what I SAW Saturday, we will not plow anyone this year. We will move the ball just fine through the air.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Everybody needs to remember that we have some very talented freshmen OL coming to campus this summer and a very talented RB. We may just see some Freshmen contribute and start this fall. Wouldn't surprise me at all... ;)

CBB will not be a HDN type. Yes, the run game will be his primary focus and time management. But he will throw the ball more than Nutt, less than Petrino but we WILL be a better defensive team than either of those coaches had...I am excited about CBB and his staff and in 3 years we will be back competing with Bama and LSU...

Romeo

Arkansas's OL coach Sam Pittman was quoted as saying there's probably three incoming lineman that's better than all the current lineman. I'll be anxious to see how the running game looks in the fall with the incoming freshmen. Bret Bielema said he was big on limiting mistakes and it showed on Saturday. The best stat of the game was zero fumbles. Wisconsin was one of the least penalized teams in the country the last few years.

AirWarren

Zero fumbles. I'll take it.

I get so sick and tired of people comparing him to HDN. Get on the BB train or get the heck out. The man has proven he will throw the ball with the right personnel. Get the run blocking down and we will be fine.

Lions84

We will beat a pair of folks that no one suspects this year. IMO

AirWarren

We will be fine. Better than last year!

DerekOxford

8/31 UL-Lafayette W
9/7 Samford W
9/14 Southern Miss W
9/21 at Rutgers W
9/28 A&M L
10/5 at Florida L
10/12 S. Carolina L
10/19 at Alabama L
11/2 Auburn W
11/9 at Ole Miss L
11/23 MSU W
11/30 at LSU L
------------------------
6-6 (2-6)

whippersnapper

I may switch the a&m/rutgers. Or heck maybe we can win both

AirWarren

Quote from: DerekOxford on April 22, 2013, 05:09:12 pm
8/31 UL-Lafayette W
9/7 Samford W
9/14 Southern Miss W
9/21 at Rutgers W
9/28 A&M L
10/5 at Florida L
10/12 S. Carolina L
10/19 at Alabama L
11/2 Auburn W
11/9 at Ole Miss L
11/23 MSU W
11/30 at LSU L
------------------------
6-6 (2-6)

I will also go with 6-6 as my base record and 8-4 as my outrageous record.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Lionheart88

Considering last year and the mess Petrino left us with, getting to a bowl game will be nigh-miraculous.  But I think Bielema can do it.

zebradynasty

I dunno...until I see them I can't say! Not sure how much last season was a lack of talent or lack of focus. Based on what I saw it was more lack of talent but I could have graded them too harsh. So this is a new year, new staff so until I see them I am not predicting W/L.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 23, 2013, 10:32:20 am
I dunno...until I see them I can't say! Not sure how much last season was a lack of talent or lack of focus. Based on what I saw it was more lack of talent but I could have graded them too harsh. So this is a new year, new staff so until I see them I am not predicting W/L.

So, you going to base that off the first game, or the fifth game? After watching the spring game  I'm thinking 5-7 or 6-6, hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

Lions84

We will l]know for sure come the first weekend in Oct.  We go into FLA at 5-0 or 4-1 we will go bowling.

ricepig

Quote from: Lions84 on April 23, 2013, 01:01:35 pm
We will l]know for sure come the first weekend in Oct.  We go into FLA at 5-0 or 4-1 we will go bowling.

I agree, the first 4 games determine our record.

pantherblue

7-5 even hopeful of seeing 8-4 and a bowl win.

AirWarren

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2013, 12:43:08 pm

So, you going to base that off the first game, or the fifth game? After watching the spring game  I'm thinking 5-7 or 6-6, hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

If we have the talent I think Coach B and his staff will win with it. If we do not...this is the SEC you don't win a LOT of games simply because you have good coaches. Even in the first game I can tell a lot about our talent level.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 23, 2013, 04:29:13 pm
Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2013, 12:43:08 pm

If we have the talent I think Coach B and his staff will win with it. If we do not...this is the SEC you don't win a LOT of games simply because you have good coaches. Even in the first game I can tell a lot about our talent level.

Ok  I didn't know how long you were going to hedge your bet. I think we are still short 2 OT's, a couple of LB's, and a DB or two.

fastdrop

Branden Allen .... All I got to know. Nothing against him but if he is the starting QB next year.... No way the hogs go .500 in the Sec.

The heck with non conference... If the hogs ain't 4-0 shame on them.

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on April 23, 2013, 10:42:18 pm
Branden Allen .... All I got to know. Nothing against him but if he is the starting QB next year.... No way the hogs go .500 in the Sec.

It wouldn't matter if Peyton Manning started next year, we wouldn't go .500 in the SEC, tough schedule with this talent.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2013, 09:56:07 am

It wouldn't matter if Peyton Manning started next year, we wouldn't go .500 in the SEC, tough schedule with this talent.

I agree if we go .500 in the SEC with this... then Coach B is a better coach than we gave him credit!

fastdrop

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 24, 2013, 11:05:12 am
Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2013, 09:56:07 am

I agree if we go .500 in the SEC with this... then Coach B is a better coach than we gave him credit!
just depends on how strong the SEC is this year. I figure Auburn and Miss State are wins... A&M lost a bunch off of the lines and are playing on the Hill. SC is at home. There is 4 I think are wins.

Uncle Ivan

Losing 70-17?  Choking at home to Vanderbilt?  Ordering assaults on players?  Threatening to sue fans?  Those kind of results, you mean?

There is no and will never be any forgiveness nor acceptance for the Dork.  None.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 03, 2013, 09:45:07 am

Losing 70-17?  Choking at home to Vanderbilt?  Ordering assaults on players?  Threatening to sue fans?  Those kind of results, you mean?

There is no and will never be any forgiveness nor acceptance for the Dork.  None.
I'm not going to argue with you, but personally I'll take getting blow  out occasionally if it also means at least occasionally getting to an SEC title game, and winning some games we shouldn't, like beating the eventual national champion in their own house.  Better than consistently putting up a lot of points on nobodies but never quite winning the big one, in my estimation.  But an opinion and a dollar'll get you a cup of coffee, right?

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 03, 2013, 10:03:22 am
Better than consistently putting up a lot of points on nobodies but never quite winning the big one, in my estimation.  But an opinion and a dollar'll get you a cup of coffee, right?

National title teams tend to put up a lot of points on nobodies.

Lionheart88

They also tend to win the big game.  And get to their conference's championship game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas