• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Junction City Athletics

Started by Dragon I, May 10, 2007, 03:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon_Slayer

Quote from: jctigercat on August 26, 2007, 12:47:16 pm
YEA TO BAD A COUPLE OTHER SCHOOLS CANT SAY THAT THEY LOST 3-0 TO THE EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPS. :)

If bragging about being shut out some how make you feel better about your self, go for it sugar. :-* Only in Dragon land.  ;)

GOOFER

To add just a little......... PC beat Nashville....4A state champs and Abundant Life......  3A state champs.  So how was the environment different then?

bleudog

February 01, 2008, 10:07:47 am #52 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:44:00 am by bleudog
This ran in the Friday (02/01/08) El Dorado News Times:

Fundraising group to meet Monday    

JUNCTION CITY – A committee hoping to raise money for a new multipurpose fieldhouse for Dragons' athletics will have its first meeting on Monday.
   The meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Monday at the community center. Organizers are encouraging all former and current players, parents of former and current players, fans, boosters and supporters of the football program to attend the meeting. A board will be named and fundraisers will be created to raise much needed funds.
   According to head football coach David Carpenter, the current fieldhouse has severe problems, including major leaks when it rains. Carpenter's office, the weightroom and lockerrooms have all been damaged during recent rains.
   The current fieldhouse is decades old. State law mandates that a school can't spend money directly on a football fieldhouse because not all students will use the facility.
   The committee wants to raise enough money to construct a new multipurpose fieldhouse that would house coaches' offices, dressing rooms, showers and a weightroom.

Lord Infamous™

Quote from: Wilson on July 02, 2007, 11:55:08 pm
The thing about as soon as practice started some are sent to the cages while the others stay up on the field.   Well.....just being totally honest.....that has gone on at JC since I can remember......and if anyone knows me......I started going to JC baseball practices when I was around 7 years old.   This goes all the way back to Coach Bolen days.....and he was a decent coach .... ;)....anyway......as long as I can remember it.....JC would run their laps......stretch.......warm the arms up......then we would separate......the top 18....and sometimes less would stay up on the field....and the dozen or so others would go the cages to hit hit hit and hit some more.   That is what would make them better........once the season got going......we only had so many hours a week we were allowed to practice by the AAA.....and if the other 12 were involved with every phase of the practice.......we would not be working the top 18 enough.......when Coach Bolen and Coach Hux were in charge....the practices were very structured.    Fundamentals were touched on EVERY day......live BP........and infield practice till it was done right.     Between the 2 coaches...."Bolen and Hux" there were over 700 victories.......6 state titles.....3 rup finishes.....and over 20 semifinal appearances........Coach Bolen was 385-63 as a head coach with 4 state titles.  He may have won another one in 1986 if he had not died on the field during the first round of the state tourney.    Coach Hammett is a coach Bolen disciple.........I personally played 3 years for Joe Paul at the airport.....and he never played favorites......I don't see it in his Character........it would suprise me more than if the sun didn't rise tomorrow if he was doing that.    Coaches Hux and Bolen did it the right way........with class.....integrity.......and knowledge of the game in all phases........Coach Bolen was named Arkansas High School coach of the year 5 times.....and Coach Hux twice.........Joe Paul played for both of the these men.........I just don't see this being something that he could or better yet....would do.    If he was Coach Bolen would have already crawled out of that grave that is about 40 yards from home plate and had a long talk with the man ;)     Give Joe Paul time.......he will get it back to where it used to be.....I have no doubt.     We have just been kinda thin on the mound the last couple of years....
That is how practice should be. It shouldn't be about teenagers whining because they didn't get to do what the other kids did that day. Earn your spot.

bleudog

February 01, 2008, 05:19:49 pm #54 Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:23:31 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Lord Infamous™ on February 01, 2008, 03:00:06 pmThat is how practice should be. It shouldn't be about teenagers whining because they didn't get to do what the other kids did that day. Earn your spot.

Earn your spot would have been a novel idea on the '06 Dragon baseball team.  I don't have any problem with freshmen playing varsity.  I've seen some good ones.  Let's just say some freshmen that year had a little history with the new coach and they were fast-tracked to varsity.  They were good players with potential, but don't know that an objective coach would have thought they were varsity-quality freshmen. 

I didn't mean to restart an old argument, just wanted to let folks know about the meeting Monday (2/4/08 - 6:30 pm) to develop plans to raise money for a replacement field house.  I'd think anybody who has seen the current facility would agree it's overdue for replacement.

Geaux Dragons!  Good luck with the field house project.

bleudog

News Times added a little to the notice that ran in the Saturday, Feb 2nd paper.  One of the organizers is a FF poster.  Good luck in your efforts.

JUNCTION CITY – A committee hoping to raise money for a new multipurpose fieldhouse for Dragons' athletics will have its first meeting on Monday.
   The meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Monday at the community center. Organizers are encouraging all former and current players, parents of former and current players, fans, boosters and supporters of the football program to attend the meeting. A board will be named and fundraisers will be created to raise muchneeded funds.
   According to head football coach David Carpenter, the current fieldhouse has severe problems, including major leaks when it rains. Carpenter's office, the weightroom and lockerrooms have all been damaged during recent rains. State law mandates that a school can't spend money directly on a football fieldhouse because not all students will use the facility.
   The committee wants to raise enough money to construct a new multipurpose fieldhouse that would house coaches' offices, dressing rooms, showers and a weightroom.
   Dr. Rebecca Luper, a physician in Junction City, and longtime supporter Wayne Pumphrey are two of the organizers of the effort.

bleudog

CLICK HERE for El Dorado News Times article on the first community meeting to raise money for a new fieldhouse.

Sounds like a good start.

Would guess one of the schools referenced with new facilities was Mt. Ida.  I didn't go in the fieldhouse there but the outside was quite impressive.  The concession stand/restrooms were nice also.   Any Lions out there got any pointers on how ya'll managed to raise construction funds? 

footballfan

Just a little on the Mount Ida facility. Apparently the initial "seed money" came from a very wealthy individual. Someone from that district might elaborate. The fieldhouse in Junction is a disaster. Can't believe the school admin. and board are so numb on this. It's really in no shape for students, especially those who will spend 5-6 days a week over there.

Dragon_Slayer

February 12, 2008, 09:26:27 am #58 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:28:51 am by Dragon_Slayer
Quote from: Lord Infamous™ on February 01, 2008, 03:00:06 pm
Quote from: Wilson on July 02, 2007, 11:55:08 pm
The thing about as soon as practice started some are sent to the cages while the others stay up on the field.   Well.....just being totally honest.....that has gone on at JC since I can remember......and if anyone knows me......I started going to JC baseball practices when I was around 7 years old.   This goes all the way back to Coach Bolen days.....and he was a decent coach .... ;)....anyway......as long as I can remember it.....JC would run their laps......stretch.......warm the arms up......then we would separate......the top 18....and sometimes less would stay up on the field....and the dozen or so others would go the cages to hit hit hit and hit some more.   That is what would make them better........once the season got going......we only had so many hours a week we were allowed to practice by the AAA.....and if the other 12 were involved with every phase of the practice.......we would not be working the top 18 enough.......when Coach Bolen and Coach Hux were in charge....the practices were very structured.    Fundamentals were touched on EVERY day......live BP........and infield practice till it was done right.     Between the 2 coaches...."Bolen and Hux" there were over 700 victories.......6 state titles.....3 rup finishes.....and over 20 semifinal appearances........Coach Bolen was 385-63 as a head coach with 4 state titles.  He may have won another one in 1986 if he had not died on the field during the first round of the state tourney.    Coach Hammett is a coach Bolen disciple.........I personally played 3 years for Joe Paul at the airport.....and he never played favorites......I don't see it in his Character........it would suprise me more than if the sun didn't rise tomorrow if he was doing that.    Coaches Hux and Bolen did it the right way........with class.....integrity.......and knowledge of the game in all phases........Coach Bolen was named Arkansas High School coach of the year 5 times.....and Coach Hux twice.........Joe Paul played for both of the these men.........I just don't see this being something that he could or better yet....would do.    If he was Coach Bolen would have already crawled out of that grave that is about 40 yards from home plate and had a long talk with the man ;)     Give Joe Paul time.......he will get it back to where it used to be.....I have no doubt.     We have just been kinda thin on the mound the last couple of years....
That is how practice should be. It shouldn't be about teenagers whining because they didn't get to do what the other kids did that day. Earn your spot.

I don't want to call any names, but don't you mean buy your spot, or suck your spot. Isn't that the way it goes down on the border.  ???

footballfan

JC lost one of its former athletes over the weekend. Trinzo "Zodie" Carter, 31, died in Dallas. He graduated n 1993 and was a pretty darned good linebacker and TB. RIP, Zodie.

bleudog

February 19, 2008, 05:36:55 pm #60 Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:05:32 pm by bleudog
Quote from: footballfan on February 19, 2008, 04:53:22 pm
JC lost one of its former athletes over the weekend. Trinzo "Zodie" Carter, 31, died in Dallas. He graduated n 1993 and was a pretty darned good linebacker and TB. RIP, Zodie.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

Obituary from the 2/19/08 El Dorado News Times:

TRINZO C. CARTER    Trinzo Cortez "Zodie" Carter, 31, of Dallas, and formerly of Junction City died Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, in Dallas.
   He was born on July 20, 1976, in Bernice, La., the son of Robert Warren and Cosette Carter. He was a 1993 graduate of Junction City High School and member of New Mount Union Baptist Church in Junction City. He worked in the maintenance department at Dallas/ Fort Worth Airport.
   He was preceded in death by his father and his grandparents, Merle Lee Carter, Robert James and Tottie Mae Warren.
   Survivors include a son, Lorenzo Carter of Dallas; a daughter, LaDiamond Creer of El Dorado; his mother, Cosette Carter of Junction City; four brothers, Josh Warren of Smackover, Darryl Carter and John D. Carter of Junction City, and Romeatress Warren of Detroit; and two sisters, Kim Carter of Junction City and Tandrea Warren Williams of Detroit.
   Funeral will be at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at New Mount Union Baptist Church with the Rev. Antwoine Smith officiating. Burial will be in Community Cemetery in Junction City under the direction of Andrews Funeral Home.
   Public viewing will be from 1 to 5 p.m. today and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. The family will be at the Billy and Gloria Carter home after the service.

I know there would be quite an age difference, but would the John D. Carter listed as a surviving brother be the J.D. Carter who was a junior(?) on the '07 football team?

xtremewildcat

Trinzo was a member of my gym a while back. How did he die?

Dragon#40

Yes J.D is the youngest brother. R.I.P cousin, you will be missed.
K.Noble
Quote from: bleudog on February 19, 2008, 05:36:55 pm
Quote from: footballfan on February 19, 2008, 04:53:22 pm

Prayers and condolences to the family.

Obituary from the 2/19/08 El Dorado News Times:

TRINZO C. CARTER    Trinzo Cortez "Zodie" Carter, 31, of Dallas, and formerly of Junction City died Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, in Dallas.
   He was born on July 20, 1976, in Bernice, La., the son of Robert Warren and Cosette Carter. He was a 1993 graduate of Junction City High School and member of New Mount Union Baptist Church in Junction City. He worked in the maintenance department at Dallas/ Fort Worth Airport.
   He was preceded in death by his father and his grandparents, Merle Lee Carter, Robert James and Tottie Mae Warren.
   Survivors include a son, Lorenzo Carter of Dallas; a daughter, LaDiamond Creer of El Dorado; his mother, Cosette Carter of Junction City; four brothers, Josh Warren of Smackover, Darryl Carter and John D. Carter of Junction City, and Romeatress Warren of Detroit; and two sisters, Kim Carter of Junction City and Tandrea Warren Williams of Detroit.
   Funeral will be at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at New Mount Union Baptist Church with the Rev. Antwoine Smith officiating. Burial will be in Community Cemetery in Junction City under the direction of Andrews Funeral Home.
   Public viewing will be from 1 to 5 p.m. today and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. The family will be at the Billy and Gloria Carter home after the service.

I know there would be quite an age difference, but would the John D. Carter listed as a survining brother be the J.D. Carter who was a junior(?) on the '07 football team?

bleudog

Thanks for the answer about J. D. and again condolences to Mr. Carter's family and friends.

bleudog

March 04, 2008, 08:32:22 am #64 Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:45:19 am by bleudog
El Dorado News Times:

Meeting to be held in Junction City   

The Junction City Dragons Athletic Foundation will hold a meeting on Monday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the community center.
   They will be meeting to finalize fundraising plans for constructing a new multipurpose field house.
   All interested persons are welcome to attend. For more information please call 310-2992 or 310-2325.

bleudog

CLICK HERE for 3/11/08 El Dorado News Times article on fund raising meeting.

bleudog

Junction City to hold sports event   

The Junction City Sports Banquet will be held on Tuesday, May 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the school cafeteria.
   Tickets are $12 and can be purchased in the superintendent's office or at the door. All senior athletes and cheerleaders will be admitted free.
   For more information, please contact Candi Eckhoff at 863-7462 or Gwen Wood at 862-2784.

footballfan

Is there anywhere to find results from the 7AA district track meet. I know Bearden boys ran away with the title.

bleudog

May 08, 2008, 11:23:07 am #68 Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:17:36 pm by bleudog
Quote from: footballfan on May 08, 2008, 10:57:03 am
Is there anywhere to find results from the 7AA district track meet. I know Bearden boys ran away with the title.

Try this:

http://www.directathletics.com/results/track/9861.html

Looks like Devin and Byran held their own. 
Belin and Turner made the 200 look like it would have been fun to watch.

footballfan

thanks for the link. How many places from District qualify for state? I see the state meet will be May 15 at Mineral Springs.

footballfan

the top two in each event at districts qualify for state. You can also qualify if your time during the year at a sanctioned meet is in the top 2. The sprinter from Hermitage finished out of the top two in the 200 districts, but his time during the year was good enough to qualify.

bleudog

May 17, 2008, 11:26:23 am #71 Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:02:47 pm by bleudog
Cookie wins the 2007-2008 Amer-Cable/News-Times Football Award:

CLICK HERE

bleudog

CLICK HERE for El Dorado News Times article and photo about spring football practice.

bleudog

May 24, 2008, 08:26:14 am #73 Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:20:02 pm by bleudog
JC athletics group will meet Tuesday

The Junction City Dragons Athletic Activities Foundation will meet Tuesday, May 27 at the Junction City Community Center.
   The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. For additional information contact Julia Machen at (870) 234-4637.

footballfan

The official time is at 6:30 p.m.

bleudog

May 25, 2008, 07:53:24 pm #75 Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:56:22 pm by bleudog
Quote from: footballfan on May 25, 2008, 07:38:14 pm
The official time is at 6:30 p.m.

Thanks for the correction.  Copied the notice out of the paper.  Assumed the reference to June 27 in the paper should have been May 27. ;D

IBM

When and where is the golf tournament fundraiser going to be held?

bleudog

Quote from: IBM on June 25, 2008, 10:17:54 am
When and where is the golf tournament fundraiser going to be held?

Don't know if this is in conjunction with a golf tournament or not, but I understand there is a dinner/auction scheduled for August 9th.  Tickets are $12.00.

The dinner part being fish and all the trimmings including desert.  The auction will include all types of items, ranging from sports items to jewelry.   

The auction will be held in the multi-purpose building.  All the proceeds will go toward building the new multi-purpose facility for Dragon athletics

bleudog

CLICK HERE for ADG article on high school linebackers with reference to Devin Ball.

footballfan

Devin was at La. Tech camp today. Don't know if Grantel went, as well. Devin on Saturday heads to Fayetteville for the seniors only camp.

bleudog

Junction City to host dinner auction   

The Junction City Athletic Activities Foundation will be having a dinner auction on Saturday, Aug. 9 at 6 p.m.  It will take place at Junction City High School's multipurpose room. Tickets for the event are $12.  All the proceeds will go toward building the new multi-purpose facility for Dragon athletics
   For more information, please call (870) 924-5680.

footballfan

I've talked with organizers and they are very pleased with the amount of "stuff" available at the auction. Autographed jerseys from NFL, MBL folks, some Kevin Payne items and much, much more. Should be interesting. Proceeds will go toward the multi-purpose facility they hope to build.

footballfan

don't know if it's been mentioned, but Junction City will host a catfish dinner/auction Saturday (Aug. 9) beginning at 6. It will be in the multipurpose room on campus. A ton of sports memorabilia (Nolan Ryan, Craig Biggio, Joe Montana, Eli Manning, etc.) and other items will be available. Tickets for the dinner/auction will be $12. Proceeds go to the Junction  City Dragons Athletic Activities Foundation. Former Dragon basketball player James Anderson will be there signing his McDonald's All-American cards. If you're interested head to Union County Saturday night.

the game

August 06, 2008, 04:12:10 pm #83 Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:53:27 pm by the game
Quote from: footballfan on August 06, 2008, 03:59:15 pm
don't know if it's been mentioned, but Junction City will host a catfish dinner/auction Saturday (Aug. 9) beginning at 6. It will be in the multipurpose room on campus. A ton of sports memorabilia (Nolan Ryan, Craig Biggio, Joe Montana, Eli Manning, etc.) and other items will be available. Tickets for the dinner/auction will be $12. Proceeds go to the Junction  City Dragons Athletic Activities Foundation. Former Dragon basketball player James Anderson will be there signing his McDonald's All-American cards. If you're interested head to Union County Saturday night.
I'd like to try and get some Kevin Payne "Bear" stuff , lol , Sounds like a great event , good luck and have fun :)

Wilson

I figure there will be some Kevin Payne stuff..........Maybe he scored a Urlacher (sp) item or 2 with a sig on them as well.

footballfan

it's a go, they're just trying it get it back from Chicago in time for Saturday.

footballfan

In Chicago's first preseason game Thursday night Payne led the team with 6 solo tackles.

bleudog

August 12, 2008, 07:45:18 am #87 Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:48:05 am by bleudog
CLICK HERE for article about practice from El Dorado News Times.  (includes Smackover and Strong)

bleudog

JCHS booster club taking ads for 2008

The Junction City Booster Club is taking ads for the Dragon 2008 Football Programs. These ads will need to be turned in no later than August 19 at the Purple & Gold Scrimmage game. Everyone is invited to attend.
   The admission for this game will be DVDR's, washing powder or towels. The Booster Club will also be selling hot dogs, chips and drinks.
   For further information please contact Gwen Wood at 862-2784 or Candi Eckhoff at 863-7462.

bleudog

Junction City to hold Purple-Gold   

JUNCTION CITY – The Dragons will hold their annual Purple & Gold Game Tuesday (08/19) to unveil this year's football team.
   The Junior High team will take the field around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, followed by the varsity at 6:30. Head Coach David Carpenter said the senior high will split into a Purple team and a Gold team. After that portion of the evening concludes the 2008 team will scrimmage using the first-team offense and then the first-team defense. The Dragons went 10-2 last year.
   Admission to Tuesday's event will be the donation of items to be used this football season. Carpenter said the team would like more DVDRs (both large and small), bleach, laundry detergent and towels. Power drinks and other items will also be accepted.
   The Dragons will scrimmage at Harmony Grove on Tuesday, Aug. 26, then open the season at Gurdon on Friday, Sept. 5.

footballfan

The Purple & Gold Game was moved to Thursday after more than 5 inches of rain fell on the field Tuesday. Same times, same admission price.

bleudog

August 21, 2008, 07:33:34 am #91 Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:38:32 am by bleudog
CLICK HERE for Carpenter article and more info on the rescheduled Purple and Gold game.

'05 Dragons lost the conference title to Smackover and the '06 team got the title back and ended up in WMS.

'07 Dragons lost the conference title to Bearden and the '08 team ????????????????????????????????????.

Geaux Dragons!

footballfan

if Kevin Payne is active for tonight's game, he'll be on Fox about 7 p.m. Look for No. 44.

bleudog

CLICK HERE for El Dorado News Times article on Purple and Gold game.

footballfan

i'm told the scrimmage at Harmony Grove Tuesday will be:

Junior High 6:30
Varsity 7:30

bleudog

CLICK HERE for ADG article on preseason Super Six #1 ranking.

footballfan

Congratulations to JC's Byran Jones, a junior nose guard. Sunday he was named to the All-Arkansas Preseason Team in the Democrat-Gazette.

bleudog

Quote from: footballfan on August 31, 2008, 10:50:10 pm
Congratulations to JC's Byran Jones, a junior nose guard. Sunday he was named to the All-Arkansas Preseason Team in the Democrat-Gazette.

CLICK HERE

lab rat

I heard Kevin Payne is starting this weekend at strong safety.  But I couldn't find anything on the Bears website.

bleudog

September 03, 2008, 08:24:38 pm #99 Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:50:11 pm by bleudog
Not the Bear's website, but this indicated he was made a starter on 8/29:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1134311,CST-SPT-bear29.article

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas