• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Coaching Jobs in Arkansas

Started by TXhoops7117, December 16, 2018, 06:47:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfellow

Quote from: Longfellow on March 01, 2019, 10:35:52 am
If they were winning, what does it matter? And if your team is not proficient in dribbling and turns the ball over an exorbitant amount when dribbling, why not try moving the ball without dribbling?
And to save you some time with your dictionary, exorbitant means a lot

DQLeopard

Quote from: Longfellow on March 01, 2019, 10:36:45 am
Impressive word

Neckred

Quote from: Longfellow on March 01, 2019, 10:36:45 am
Geek Alert....

basketballcoach15

March 05, 2019, 09:41:10 am #53 Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:10:45 am by basketballcoach15
Job Openings (03/05/2019)

Boys:

BIC -
Manila (Assistant) -
Foreman -
Two Rivers -

Girls:

Cabot -
Booneville -
Lakeside (Jr. High) -
Ft. Smith Southside -
Maumelle -
Shiloh Christian -

Mustang_4

Any word on who these schools are looking at?

HorseFeathers

basketballcoach15

I hear both Two Rivers and Foreman are opening following the board meetings this month.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: basketballcoach15 on March 05, 2019, 02:48:42 pm
I hear both Two Rivers and Foreman are opening following the board meetings this month.

👍

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 05, 2019, 12:30:25 pm
Is two Rivers actually open?

Yes, resignation has been submitted.  I assume board accepts this month.

Job was opening one way or another.

LeftyWorld

Job was opening one way or another.
[/quote]

Well that makes things interesting.

basketballcoach15

Any other rumors on jobs to come open?

teachers pet

I assume the Two Rivers is the boy's position.

Lionroar

Some of these schools have not posted on their website so is this just hearsay or fact.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

I know BIC is fact.  And I would say Manila is by who said it.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: Lionroar on March 06, 2019, 12:04:55 pm
Some of these schools have not posted on their website so is this just hearsay or fact.

BIC and Manila Asst. are both posted.

Twin Rivers boys and Valley View girls will be soon.

I know of about 5-6 other Sr. boys jobs that will be 100% opening up, with the info coming from buddies that are in admin at various districts. After spring break and after the April board meetings there will be quite a few open up.

Lionroar

Ok. Like the Shiloh job is not on their webpage and I don't see it anywhere but here.

royalhoops

Quote from: Lionroar on March 06, 2019, 12:14:41 pm
Ok. Like the Shiloh job is not on their webpage and I don't see it anywhere but here.
I did not see it anywhere else, either. Anyone know anything there?

scrapdig

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 06, 2019, 12:14:10 pm

I know of about 5-6 other Sr. boys jobs that will be 100% opening up, with the info coming from buddies that are in admin at various districts. After spring break and after the April board meetings there will be quite a few open up.
Which ones?

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 06, 2019, 12:14:10 pm

Valley View girls Coach  going somewhere else?

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 07, 2019, 07:22:58 am

I'm not sure of his plans. I was told by multiple people that he wouldn't be back coaching the team next year. Tim's a good guy, so I'm sure he could land somewhere, if that's something he wanted to do.

hogman1886

What does Maumelle have coming up? And isn't their coach the AD? Is he leaving or just stepping down from basketball?

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: scrapdig on March 06, 2019, 12:45:00 pm
Which ones?

Out of respect for my buddies and their districts, I won't mention specifics yet.

The biggest domino in the state is going to be the Cabot job. If what I'm hearing is true, it's going to shake up NEA girls hoops. Once that domino falls you will see quite a bit of movement.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: hogman1886 on March 07, 2019, 08:28:40 am
What does Maumelle have coming up? And isn't their coach the AD? Is he leaving or just stepping down from basketball?

Heard he was retiring.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 07, 2019, 08:26:29 am
I'm not sure of his plans. I was told by multiple people that he wouldn't be back coaching the team next year. Tim's a good guy, so I'm sure he could land somewhere, if that's something he wanted to do.

That's what I have heard about him.  I wasn't sure if he was retiring or just looking to switch jobs.

HoopKing

So who is the front runner for the Cabot girls job

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Hearing that BIC will be filling the Boys job with Coach Kinard  & now we will be looking for a girls coach.

Former, Coach Jacobs

March 08, 2019, 08:08:04 am #76 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:13:03 am by Former, Coach Jacobs
Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 08, 2019, 07:58:13 am
Hearing that BIC will be filling the Boys job with Coach Kinard  & now we will be looking for a girls coach.

Who was the girls coach at Valley View for most of Gaylon's tenure?  ;) I don't remember if he was hired by Gaylon or not, but I think they have a pretty good relationship.

Lionroar

Who will be looking for a girls coach?

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: Lionroar on March 08, 2019, 09:18:28 am
Who will be looking for a girls coach?

BIC since Kinard was the girls coach

Lionroar

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 08, 2019, 08:08:04 am
Who was the girls coach at Valley View for most of Gaylon's tenure?  ;) I don't remember if he was hired by Gaylon or not, but I think they have a pretty good relationship.

That's kind of what I was thinking. 

hurricanes1

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 07, 2019, 07:22:58 am

I heard that the admin needed to make a change. Coach had many, many players walk away from the program in the past four to five years and several wishing not to return next year.

Mustang_4

First of all that's a tough job cause you can't get the girls to play basketball that play volleyball. That wld immediately make them better so I'm sure he's battled that. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't interested in the BIC girls job I mean there is kind of a connection with Taylor.

hurricanes1

Quote from: Mustang_4 on March 08, 2019, 06:36:59 pm
First of all that's a tough job cause you can't get the girls to play basketball that play volleyball. That wld immediately make them better so I'm sure he's battled that. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't interested in the BIC girls job I mean there is kind of a connection with Taylor.

the volleyball players quit basketball largely due to him. I guess time will tell if any of them return with a different coach.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: Mustang_4 on March 08, 2019, 06:36:59 pm

That's not true. Soccer gets girls to play, and their season is in the middle of JO volleyball season. Trey Harding, the coach before Tim, had a great relationship with Margie, the volleyball coach, and didn't have a problem getting the volleyball girls out. If you are going to coach girls basketball at Valley View you better have a great relationship with Margie, which I've heard Tim does not. They finished the season with less than 10 players on the team and some of the best athletes walking the halls because of who the coach was, that's not my opinion thats facts related to me from other coaches in the district. Tim's not a bad coach and he's a good guy, so he's going to land somewhere. BIC May be perfect for him as he wouldn't have to deal with volleyball. Could be a refreshing start for him.

cannon

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 09, 2019, 08:10:34 am
That's not true. Soccer gets girls to play, and their season is in the middle of JO volleyball season. Trey Harding, the coach before Tim, had a great relationship with Margie, the volleyball coach, and didn't have a problem getting the volleyball girls out. If you are going to coach girls basketball at Valley View you better have a great relationship with Margie, which I've heard Tim does not. They finished the season with less than 10 players on the team and some of the best athletes walking the halls because of who the coach was, that's not my opinion thats facts related to me from other coaches in the district. Tim's not a bad coach and he's a good guy, so he's going to land somewhere. BIC May be perfect for him as he wouldn't have to deal with volleyball. Could be a refreshing start for him.

There a LOT more to it than that. Verifiable fact:  75% of that attrition occurs in junior high, before those kids ever make it to a senior high practice. hard to blame that on the senior high coaching staff.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: cannon on March 09, 2019, 11:22:13 am
There a LOT more to it than that. Verifiable fact:  75% of that attrition occurs in junior high, before those kids ever make it to a senior high practice. hard to blame that on the senior high coaching staff.

You serious? The head senior high coach is hired to oversee the whole program. So if there is attrition before they get to high school that's on him/her too.

cannon

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 09, 2019, 02:07:39 pm
You serious? The head senior high coach is hired to oversee the whole program. So if there is attrition before they get to high school that's on him/her too.
Dead serious. The implication here being that maybe that attrition doesn't have anything to do with the basketball coaching staff. You indicated that you were giving facts. In reality, you were regurgitating what you heard.

Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) is any happier about who we assume will be the next head coach than I am, but to be fair to the former, the vast bulk of the kids that quit did so for reasons that didn't have anything to do with the coaching staff or with basketball in general.

I've had a front row seat for the whole affair for the last 5 years.  I have a daughter that's a senior. I have another that's a freshman. FWIW, the freshman class is moving up 11 kids, all of whom were on their way and perfectly happy before any change in coaching staff. Coincidentally, only one of those 11 plays volleyball. I can give you a list of names of every kid that dropped out over the last 4 seasons, and at least 75% of those had exactly one thing in common. I'll also go out on a limb and say that those 75% were among the best female athletes on campus.

I can tell you without hesitation that with the exception of a couple personality conflicts over the last 4 years, the kids that have quit have quit for reasons that didn't involve the basketball coach. I personally know the kids. Heck, one of em was my oldest daughter - and her reasons for quitting didn't relate in any way to the coach.

Hawkins certainly has character flaws -  kids quitting in the 8th grade to specialize in a different sport isn't one of em.

Footballislife

Forman boys and girls head jobs are open

basketballcoach15

When will they start process? I heard both would open.

TheRunAround

This job will be a "fun" one. The top two teams in that conference just played for state, with Melbourne returning everyone practically for the next two seasons. Riverside will have everyone back next year, as will Marmaduke. This conference is talented at the 9th-10th grade level, and that's where the this job falls. Has a healthy group coming up form jr high, just play in a rough conference where two good teams could be left at home come regionals. The wave is coming and they just need someone to ride out the storms. Not sure how big the field will be for this job, but I can think of a few people that could be interested.

Footballislife

Quote from: basketballcoach15 on March 11, 2019, 08:40:48 am
When will they start process? I heard both would open.

heard they already started talking to some people. but i don't know any names.

basketballcoach15

Okay. I would think jobs will start opening up this week following board meetings.

jsky14

Bet he meant don't over dribble. Which can kill an offense

CoachWhoever

blazeralum

Quote from: cannon on March 09, 2019, 03:41:43 pm
Dead serious. The implication here being that maybe that attrition doesn't have anything to do with the basketball coaching staff. You indicated that you were giving facts. In reality, you were regurgitating what you heard.

Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) is any happier about who we assume will be the next head coach than I am, but to be fair to the former, the vast bulk of the kids that quit did so for reasons that didn't have anything to do with the coaching staff or with basketball in general.

I've had a front row seat for the whole affair for the last 5 years.  I have a daughter that's a senior. I have another that's a freshman. FWIW, the freshman class is moving up 11 kids, all of whom were on their way and perfectly happy before any change in coaching staff. Coincidentally, only one of those 11 plays volleyball. I can give you a list of names of every kid that dropped out over the last 4 seasons, and at least 75% of those had exactly one thing in common. I'll also go out on a limb and say that those 75% were among the best female athletes on campus.

I can tell you without hesitation that with the exception of a couple personality conflicts over the last 4 years, the kids that have quit have quit for reasons that didn't involve the basketball coach. I personally know the kids. Heck, one of em was my oldest daughter - and her reasons for quitting didn't relate in any way to the coach.

Hawkins certainly has character flaws -  kids quitting in the 8th grade to specialize in a different sport isn't one of em.

This is about as spot on as you can get.

Former, Coach Jacobs

March 12, 2019, 11:25:10 am #96 Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:13:43 pm by Former, Coach Jacobs
Quote from: cannon on March 09, 2019, 03:41:43 pm

To your first point...

I will take what I hear as fact, from people who work with these kids all day, before I take what an anonymous parent, on a message board says as fact.

The facts are...

Volleyball wins.
Softball wins.
Girls soccer wins.
Girls basketball won when Trey Harding was there.
Girls basketball won when Jason Smith was there.

*edit (The above isn't to insinuate that Hawkins hasn't won at Valley View, because he has had some success there)

I keep re-reading this and I'm not sure what your argument is...

I think it's been stated more than once in this thread that girls are quitting basketball to focus on another sport. Whether they do or they don't the fact remains that the best athletes, that can help the girls basketball team, aren't playing basketball.

Do you not agree that the head girls senior high basketball coach is hired to oversee the program 7-12? I doubt you disagree with that. Tim probably isn't to blame, but when you finish the season with 8-10 girls on a 4A/5A team, you are going to get the blame.

To your point of who his successor will be...I can agree with you. If she takes it, it will be great for Valley View senior high girls basketball.

Former, Coach Jacobs

basketballcoach15

March 12, 2019, 02:31:42 pm #98 Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:33:55 pm by basketballcoach15
Job Openings (03/12/2019)

Boys:

BIC -
Manila (Assistant) -
Foreman -
Two Rivers -
Rogers (Head 9th/HS Assistsnt) -

Girls:

Cabot -
Booneville -
Lakeside (Jr. High) -
Ft. Smith Southside -
Maumelle -
Shiloh Christian -
Foreman -
Jessieville (Assistant) -
Magnolia (Jr. High) -

cannon

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 12, 2019, 11:25:10 am
To your first point...

I will take what I hear as fact, from people who work with these kids all day,

FYI, that's the textbook definition of hearsay, and there's a reason it's not admissible in court.  You're certainly free to believe what you hear, but that doesn't make it anything like a "fact." 

before I take what an anonymous parent, on a message board says as fact.

I've hardly tried to remain anonymous.  I clearly indicated that I have a senior daughter that played on that team and a freshman daughter that will play on it next season.  I'm unique among parents of players on those teams in that regard.  Granted, I'm not going to post my SSN on a public forum, but I don't have any reason to conceal my identity.  I haven't posted anything that is in any way defamatory or even critical of anybody on staff at Valley View, nor would I. 

The facts are...

Volleyball wins.
Softball wins.
Girls soccer wins.
Girls basketball won when Trey Harding was there.
Girls basketball won when Jason Smith was there.

*edit (The above isn't to insinuate that Hawkins hasn't won at Valley View, because he has had some success there)

Right, because he has won there.  He didn't have a winning season this time around, but his record speaks for itself and will certainly hold up against those you mentioned above. 

I keep re-reading this and I'm not sure what your argument is...

I think it's been stated more than once in this thread that girls are quitting basketball to focus on another sport. Whether they do or they don't the fact remains that the best athletes, that can help the girls basketball team, aren't playing basketball.

Glad you asked.  What you said was: "They finished the season with less than 10 players on the team and some of the best athletes walking the halls because of who the coach was, that's not my opinion thats facts related to me from other coaches in the district."  I simply responded that there was more to it than that and that, in my opinion (based on what the kids, many of whom I've been close to, told me), the attrition didn't have anything to do with the basketball coaching staff.  The fact that a kid chooses to specialize in the 8th grade doesn't mean that they quit because of "who the [senior high] coach was."

Do you not agree that the head girls senior high basketball coach is hired to oversee the program 7-12? I doubt you disagree with that. Tim probably isn't to blame, but when you finish the season with 8-10 girls on a 4A/5A team, you are going to get the blame.

Of course I agree, on both points.  But I love this game, I love the kids that play it, and I genuinely care about the coaches that take their time to make a difference in these kid's lives.  To that point, Coach Hawkins is no longer the head coach.  That decision is final, and whether it was him, or the junior high coach, or the assistant coaches, or the boys coaches, I feel a sense of loyalty to anybody that has worked to help my kids.  With that in mind, reading the text of a post that says, in essence, that those kids that quit did so because of who the head coach was, I feel compelled to disagree.  He had a great record at Valley View, and succeeded many times when he should've failed.  He's been a good coach and has been fair to my kids. That's what his legacy should be, and I think it only right to defend that legacy for a guy who had a great record and is no longer the head coach at the school.

To your point of who his successor will be...I can agree with you. If she takes it, it will be great for Valley View senior high girls basketball.

She's a rock star whom I trust implicitly.  She's been a phenomenal mentor to my child, and I'd take a bullet for her, anytime, anywhere. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas