• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7D

Started by shah_guido_g, September 02, 2009, 09:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shah_guido_g

The Canon EOS 7D is here. Anybody interested.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Around $1700.

C_A_Morris

September 02, 2009, 11:56:11 pm #1 Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:58:18 pm by C_A_Morris
No...and not just because my current bodies are better....

Canon is trying to market this as the eventual successor to the 5D, but the specs really fall into where the 60D should hit.

For some reason, they've flooded the market with new bodies the past two years. The 1000D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D, 5D MkII, and 7D are all debut bodies in just the past two years.

It's also a brand new APS-C sensor...so there's bound to be issues with that.

I think it's just Canon's plan to get something new out there in front of customers before Christmas. I, personally, am not impressed. It's nothing new, and nothing unexpected.

I'm looking for the next upgrade to the 1D & 1Ds Mark III. An announcement on the replacement for those bodies should come sometime this quarter or next quarter.

My advice to anyone looking for a camera would be to either save money up and get at least a semi-real body like the 5D Mark II (or something even better), or to save their money and buy a 50D and put the remaining proceeds towards lenses and other equipment.

Rhonda Elizabeth

Quote from: C_A_Morris on September 02, 2009, 11:56:11 pmMy advice to anyone looking for a camera would be to either save money up and get at least a semi-real body like the 5D Mark II (or something even better), or to save their money and buy a 50D and put the remaining proceeds towards lenses and other equipment.

Great advice for those who have money to put into cameras and lenses.

But, not everyone has the money to buy the 5D Mark II.  It is an expensive camera and well beyond the price range that most can or will spend on a camera.

I have friends who shoot and capture really nice images who think $1,500 for camera and a couple of lenses is the most anyone would ever want to spend.

Just the thought of the money needed to buy a 1D or any camera body in that series would give many people fits ... it just isn't the camera most people will want to buy.

This newest Canon doesn't interest me, but it does look like Canon is giving people an option that falls between the Rebel series and the 5D's. 

Canon is at least putting cameras out there for almost every price range.   ;D

C_A_Morris

Quote from: Rhonda Elizabeth on September 03, 2009, 04:58:55 amThis newest Canon doesn't interest me, but it does look like Canon is giving people an option that falls between the Rebel series and the 5D's.

They do...it's called the X0D series....

Like I said...this camera should have been an update to the 50D, not an entirely new series, and not so early in the game. I know there's a huge price difference between the 50D and the 5D, but there's also that jump between the 5D and the 1D. That's why there are consumer-branded cameras and professional cameras.

Eight bodies in two years is entirely too many. If they focused on making things better instead of making things new, everyone involved would be a lot better off.

Canon run off a lot of loyal customers when they released the 1Ds Mark III before it was ready. I was down on the sideline at many a high-level game with fellow photographers who had cameras that simply wouldn't work—and deadlines to have photos on the wire at halftime and the end of the game. Not a good situation to be in. Most...luckily...still had old bodies to fall back on. But some swore to change brands completely that night and never look back. That's not good for business....

Nice to actually have someone to talk photography on here with, though. I spend a good deal of my time on the photography forums with the same old faces. It gets old sometimes....

shah_guido_g

The 7D certainly has all the bells and whistles. However, the discussion always come down to the APS-C senser and noise levels. 18mp on a small senser was bound to draw criticism. But there are gear heads out there who will always buy the latest greatest item to come up.

Unfortunately, all of the xD's and the top x0D's are out of my price range. I had hoped to buy a used or refurbished 30D/40D this summer but other things had priority. Maybe the prices on 1DmkII's will fall over the winter. I saw one offered on one forum for $950 with 100k actuations on the shutter.

raisingkane

people knock on the rebel series. i have a T1i and i love it.
it doesn't take bad pictures at all. with the exception of the ISO control, i'd put my photos from the T1i up against a 50d or 40d any day.

shah_guido_g

Ther is nothing wrong with that photo or the Rebel in general. However, I put an Opteka grip on my RebelXT just to get it to feel similar to my old T-90 SLR. It' just to small for my hands.

raisingkane

i do have a grip/dual battery pack on mine. i can't imagine shooting without it.
shoot most of my stuff with a 50mm 1.8 or a 28-70 2.8

onegearruss

I agree with CAMorris. They are trying to market to many bodies.
I dont think most of use can afford the mark II

What do you think of the 40 vs the 50, I have heard by alot of people that the 50 is no better then the 40.

Also about the rebel, I shot with a rebel xt for about a year and a half when i first started and i have some excellent shots from it.

Rhonda Elizabeth

Quote from: onegearruss on September 08, 2009, 12:00:14 amAlso about the rebel, I shot with a rebel xt for about a year and a half when i first started and i have some excellent shots from it.

I love the Rebel series.  I don't have one personally, but I have one for work and it does a good job.  I've recommended it to several people who want a good camera but don't want to "break the bank" when they buy one.   ;D

onegearruss

Quote from: Rhonda Elizabeth on September 08, 2009, 06:53:53 pm
Quote from: onegearruss on September 08, 2009, 12:00:14 amAlso about the rebel, I shot with a rebel xt for about a year and a half when i first started and i have some excellent shots from it.

I love the Rebel series.  I don't have one personally, but I have one for work and it does a good job.  I've recommended it to several people who want a good camera but don't want to "break the bank" when they buy one.   ;D

Its a great starting camera.

C_A_Morris

September 10, 2009, 10:06:51 am #11 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:14:53 am by C_A_Morris
Quote from: onegearruss on September 08, 2009, 12:00:14 amWhat do you think of the 40 vs the 50, I have heard by alot of people that the 50 is no better then the 40.

In my opinion, I don't think it's worth the extra five megapixels. The APS-C sensor used in the camera is currently at a technological limit, and there's just nothing that can be done about it right now. Anything above ISO 400 on the 50D starts to give massive amounts of noise.

With the same motor drive, same autofocus and metering sensors, and no real improvements, I would suggest the 40D over the 50D to anyone.

In other news, Canon has started sending around press releases in Sweden with the following: "September 29th, Canon will make one of the biggest and most important product launches in the history of the company."

I'm hoping (along with several other people) this is the 1D Mark IV, but Canon is known for their hyperbole—this is probably just another fax machine....

onegearruss

September 16, 2009, 01:32:48 pm #12 Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:36:56 pm by onegearruss
Test shot with the 7D

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/117294859/original

At first glance ISO200 appeared to be too grainy for my taste.  Guess the 19mp Sensor is just as bad or worse than the 50D.  I don't get it, why is Canon still playing the pixel-war game.  Another upgrade that I would pass unless the production model is head & shoulder better than the pre.

Have to admit, Nikon is more sensible when it comes to jamming MP in crop bodies.....

onegearruss

Quote from: raisingkane on September 05, 2009, 05:15:33 pm
people knock on the rebel series. i have a T1i and i love it.
it doesn't take bad pictures at all. with the exception of the ISO control, i'd put my photos from the T1i up against a 50d or 40d any day.

I'll take that challenge.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas