• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 Class A girls State Championship

Started by Moonshiner, February 28, 2018, 10:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshiner

Just making this because nobody seems to be talking about the girls in class A.
Who's going to be in the Final 4 and who's going to bring home the hardware?
Last year Bay surprises Wonderview and wins it all.  Who's it going to be this year?

bscinar

i'm going with the longshot -- Jasper vs Bay in Hot Springs and flip a coin......

Fleaflicker

Longshot  indeed, bay getting by Wonderview and Norfork to the finals would be an eye opener. Any opinions if there was a Kirby/Jasper matchup?

D6Bound

If Bay can beat Wonderview THEN beat Norfork two consecutive nights then that coach better be getting a massive pay raise  :D

bscinar

I think Jasper girls are the dark horse of the year...

the Bay over WV and Norfork is a homer pick :)

D6Bound

Would love to see Bay, Norfork, and Jasper in the semi's...because they're all north baby. Gotta make sure to keep the wildlings off our wall and hardware

J.D.

Quote from: D6Bound on February 28, 2018, 10:33:37 pm
If Bay can beat Wonderview THEN beat Norfork two consecutive nights then that coach better be getting a massive pay raise  :D

Bay's girls went through a gauntlet last year. They played Nemo, Acorn, MVE then Wonderview. 

bscinar

Quote from: J.D. on February 28, 2018, 10:45:22 pm
Bay's girls went through a gauntlet last year. They played Nemo, Acorn, MVE then Wonderview.
i think they have a tougher one this year with WV and Norfork -- if they make it to the final - Jasper will be there with some quality wins waiting for them.

bscinar

Shame on the AAA for having Norfork, WV, and Bay on the same side of the braket

Moonshiner

Quote from: bscinar on February 28, 2018, 10:59:20 pm
Shame on the AAA for having Norfork, WV, and Bay on the same side of the braket

I agree.  Seed this thing out annually.  A committee of coaches and sports writers could vote on it.

D6Bound

I'm still heated over the fact that BAY and NORFORK are on the same side of the bracket when they were #1 and #2 out of their region. That is the most bone headed move they have ever done

bscinar

Quote from: D6Bound on February 28, 2018, 11:08:43 pm
I'm still heated over the fact that BAY and NORFORK are on the same side of the bracket when they were #1 and #2 out of their region.
#AAAareIDIOTS!!!!!

hawg mafia

Quote from: Moonshiner on February 28, 2018, 11:03:25 pm
I agree.  Seed this thing out annually.  A committee of coaches and sports writers could vote on it.
Obviously you've never been in a seeding meeting with coach's. They sandbag and down play their teams so they get a better draw.

"AWWW we're not that good, we've had a couple lucky bounces"

it's hilarious to listen to

ZacAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on February 28, 2018, 11:03:25 pm
Seed this thing out annually.  A committee of coaches and sports writers could vote on it.
I agree with the seeding, but let's come up with a formula to seed the teams.  MaxPreps already does this or there is a ranking system on FF that is very good.  I've heard about coaches getting together to rank other tournaments; not the best way.  And how many sportswriters actually follow every team in the state?  I believe a mathematical formula is the best option.

thebigman3

I've seen Norfork play and they are extremely talented... their only loss coming from a 7a school... but no one is talking abt MVE on here. I'm still going with my original pick from earlier for finals 4 Norfork- Wonderview- MVE- but I'm going to change this pick to Mammmoth Springs.

officialvsfan

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 01, 2018, 07:13:56 am
I've seen Norfork play and they are extremely talented... their only loss coming from a 7a school... but no one is talking abt MVE on here. I'm still going with my original pick from earlier for finals 4 Norfork- Wonderview- MVE- but I'm going to change this pick to Mammmoth Springs.

I've seen Norfork, Wonderview, Jasper and Mammoth multiple times this season.  Norfork is by far the best and Mammoth is by far the weakest.  It will take a big upset for Norfork to not win the whole thing.  In all fairness I have not seen MVE.

Motownsportsfan

Quote from: officialvsfan on March 01, 2018, 08:12:30 am
I've seen Norfork, Wonderview, Jasper and Mammoth multiple times this season.  Norfork is by far the best and Mammoth is by far the weakest.  It will take a big upset for Norfork to not win the whole thing.  In all fairness I have not seen MVE.
norfork beat WV by 1 in ot. Norfork plays at a high level more consistently but rest assured it won't be an upset for WV to beat them. Pretty sure I read the same thing last year. These 2 are clearly the best 2 teams and if WV can win Friday we shall see. It is a shame that the 3 best teams are on the same side.

thebigman3

Norfork only beat WV by 1 and in OT at that.. If WV and Norfork meet in the semis to me that's the State championship right there. Then again, I said the same last year and WV went 0-17 from 3 and still only lost by 5 I'm pretty sure. As far as MS.. just something in my gut tells me they will beat Kirby, they arguably have the best girl in 1a on their team and I know it takes more than one, but I don't know, Kirby may come and blow them out. You just don't know how the games going to go sometimes.

JimmyChitwood

MVE is a pretty physical team but they don't have much outside shooting game. They have a girl (#11) that is super physical and about 6' tall.

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on March 01, 2018, 09:07:26 am
MVE is a pretty physical team but they don't have much outside shooting game. They have a girl (#11) that is super physical and about 6' tall.
They can definitely shoot threes lol... number 20 can knock them down and 5 can knock them down as well.

Flobbito

Their best 3 point shooters come off the bench, but at least 4 of the starting 5 can hit them. They are a better drive and score team though, pretty salty on defense. #11, Hardy doesn't get enough looks IMO.

thebigman3

Quote from: Flobbito on March 01, 2018, 09:21:29 am
Their best 3 point shooters come off the bench, but at least 4 of the starting 5 can hit them. They are a better drive and score team though, pretty salty on defense. #11, Hardy doesn't get enough looks IMO.
Raby can get to the basket anytime she wants.

JimmyChitwood

Bigman they aren't a great shooting team in my opinion.

gilesman2333

I am with Bigman on this one, MVE can shoot it. When 5 is hot she can hit from anywhere. Raby is one of the best in the state and best at getting to the rim and going through contact. They have shooters, trust me. If the Hardy girl plays like she did lastnight and they all play like they can, then they will be hard to beat.

BW2015

Have you ever actually seen her play?  Super physical is not how I would describe her.  Tall yes but super physical.....no!  She might have had a good night last night but being physical is not the norm for her!!

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on March 01, 2018, 10:03:17 am
Bigman they aren't a great shooting team in my opinion.
I mean, it's not their game, no, but when needed they can hit the 3. They are very disciplined and have a good work ethic. I like the MVE girls. Do I think they can win state?... there's always that chance. I mean if you said Bay would be in the finals last year I would've laughed. But they proved themselves. MVE girls can get in little streaks where they don't score at times at that hurts them, but other than that. I think they are very solid and with the side of the bracket they are on could be in Hot Springs.

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: BW2015 on March 01, 2018, 10:14:10 am
Have you ever actually seen her play?  Super physical is not how I would describe her.  Tall yes but super physical.....no!  She might have had a good night last night but being physical is not the norm for her!!
She was super physical vs acorn

BW2015

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on March 01, 2018, 12:43:26 pm

That's good.  Maybe she can keep it up during their run at the state tourney.

FaceInTheCrowd

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on March 01, 2018, 08:59:48 am
norfork beat WV by 1 in ot. Norfork plays at a high level more consistently but rest assured it won't be an upset for WV to beat them. Pretty sure I read the same thing last year. These 2 are clearly the best 2 teams and if WV can win Friday we shall see. It is a shame that the 3 best teams are on the same side.

I agree that Norfork, Wonderview, and Bay are the best 3, but my money is going to have to be on Bay over Wonderview.  I've seen those three plus Mammoth and Jasper but not MVE.  I think Jasper had a better overall team then Mammoth Springs but I'm not sure that either of them could compete with Wonderview or Bay, and Norfork has mercy ruled them both this year.  I think Norfork has the advantage with the scheduling.  A 4:00 game tomorrow for them versus either Alpena or Strong compared to the Wonderview vs Bay battle at 7:00, gives Norfork a little more recovery time.  Wonderview definitely has an advantage in not having to travel. 

Moonshiner

Also advantage Wonderview if they are using their home clock keeper.

Scout404

When I look at talent level from each team remaining, Im not sure how MVE isnt a top pick to win it all.  They have the big size in the middle which alters multiple shots a game. 5 can stroke it from 3 and creates on her own when needed.  23 in my opinion is the best player on the court each night, she can put the team on her back. Then they have a few real good role players.  They have enough talent to win it all.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Scout404 on March 01, 2018, 10:22:02 pm
When I look at talent level from each team remaining, Im not sure how MVE isnt a top pick to win it all.  They have the big size in the middle which alters multiple shots a game. 5 can stroke it from 3 and creates on her own when needed.  23 in my opinion is the best player on the court each night, she can put the team on her back. Then they have a few real good role players.  They have enough talent to win it all.
23 played 12 minutes with 4 fouls and completely balled and brought that MVE team back on her shoulders. Super impressed with her

J.D.

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 01, 2018, 10:35:31 pm
23 played 12 minutes with 4 fouls and completely balled and brought that MVE team back on her shoulders. Super impressed with her

She is a special talent for sure.

gilesman2333

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 01, 2018, 10:35:31 pm

Girl is one of the best 1a players in the state. She put her team on her back and won that game for them. She's a very very talented girl that can do amazing things. And she's only a junior

Flobbito

Quote from: gilesman2333 on March 02, 2018, 07:51:24 am
Girl is one of the best 1a players in the state. She put her team on her back and won that game for them. She's a very very talented girl that can do amazing things. And she's only a junior

She's has to be one of the best in 1A ball.  I watched Chrystina Williams earlier this year, Raby is a touch shorter, not as good at handling the ball, and probably can't quite jump as high, but they have a very similar style of play.  Her sister was on the Jr. High team this year and has a similar style of play.

thebigman3

Quote from: Scout404 on March 01, 2018, 10:22:02 pm
Has nobody been listening to me?!?😂😂

Bigpoppa

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on March 01, 2018, 12:43:26 pm

I saw the game -  MVE was ready to play. The Raby girl was solid, their shooters looked good, and the big girl was a dominate post, at least in this game.

silkysober

Quote from: gilesman2333 on March 02, 2018, 07:51:24 am

And just as good at rodeoing

Flobbito

Quote from: silkysober on March 02, 2018, 05:22:13 pm
And just as good at rodeoing

Yep, her family owns the Flying L Rodeo arena. I know her sister was the junior nationals champion last year.

Motownsportsfan

The best 2 teams square off tomm night. Norfork is very talented but I expect a monster effort from WV. The winner of this game will cut down the nets next week. Book it

J.D.

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on March 02, 2018, 10:08:35 pm
The best 2 teams square off tomm night. Norfork is very talented but I expect a monster effort from WV. The winner of this game will cut down the nets next week. Book it

Although there is a good chance you're right, I said this exact same thing last year. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas