• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened that made NWA schools so dominant?

Started by Sweet Feet, November 27, 2017, 06:32:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

For most of history, NWA was trash in football with the exception of Springdale every now and then. Now since the Early 2000s, they are hard to stop, though it's really just Fayetteville and Bentonville. How did these schools get so dominant suddenly?

tmycjy

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 27, 2017, 06:32:10 pm
For most of history, NWA was trash in football with the exception of Springdale every now and then. Now since the Early 2000s, they are hard to stop, though it's really just Fayetteville and Bentonville. How did these schools get so dominant suddenly?

I know what it is for them now There people moving in to north west Arkansas so it making the school bigger more people to choose from

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: tmycjy on November 27, 2017, 06:46:23 pm
I know what it is for them now There people moving in to north west Arkansas so it making the school bigger more people to choose from
Dead on.  Why do you think Texas is such a big deal football state compared to Arkansas?  Population of TX is nearly 28 million, AR is just a bit less than 3 million.  More folks more players to choose from, more likely to see more highly talented players.  NWA is nearly the same size as the Little Rock area, 2nd largest population area of the state. Lots of players compared to some other areas.

Pr8hd

Not just the influx of people, but the more money/resources that moved into the districts as well. Plus, a commitment to good schools that want to be competitive on the field and in the classroom. Bringing Barry Lunney to Bentonville was a huge coup as well IMO.

trevster10

I'm sure Baitshop will be here soon to talk about TRADITION.

beach bum

November 28, 2017, 09:52:08 am #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:56:16 am by beach bum
I can speak from more of the 4A perspective in the sense that schools like Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge grew to be one of the biggest 4A schools as opposed to some of the smaller teams or average size in their classification like they were the previous two decades before this current one. I remember in the early 2000's to mid 2000's when there were just 5 classifications that the old 1-3A which is pretty much the current 1-4A was absolutely terrible in the postseason and that has flipped when those schools grew to be one of the bigger 4A schools. Eventually, that will cycle back when Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, and Gravette all go to the 5A West in 2020.... maybe 2022 at the latest. At that time, those teams will go back to being good but not great on a state wide level adjusting to the new level. It always helps having extra roster numbers and players to choose from. Depth plays a huge factor in 3A and 4A in particular between the largest and smallest teams in those classifications. I have seen enough 3A and 4A ball now to see the staggering difference now in the programs with good roster numbers and the ones that do not. If a smaller school in one of those classifications does not have tradition they basically have no shot at competing. The thought of schools like Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove ripping off about 55 wins a piece in a 5 year span would have been laughable just 15 years ago, but their enrollment growth made it possible.

southarkdaddy

beach bum

November 28, 2017, 10:12:34 am #7 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:17:44 am by beach bum
Quote from: southarkdaddy on November 28, 2017, 10:08:03 am
Simple.  Not any 7A school in south arkansas

I believe in 20 years El Dorado will be the only 6A or 7A school in far southern or eastern Arkansas.... maybe Jonesboro or Valley View depending on the way certain parts of Jonesboro are growing. Someone else will be more familiar than I am with the Jonesboro area though.

footballfan-tastic

More growth, more population, more of $$$$$$$ and typically more well educated and involved citizens who demand better results in their schools and communities.  High student body numbers mean more athletes more athletes mean higher of numbers top quality athletes and depth in the ranks.  The Delta is either dyeing or at best not showing any growth.  Where to people move?  It's obvious.

francocat

The amount of new wealth in NWA is undoubtedly the primary reason for the dominance. The industry & university wealth has led to a never ending new supply of talent. For example: Young executive moves to NWA to work for Wal-Mart and has talented/athletic children. They then have the choice of 7 7A schools to enroll in. Happens everyday. Another example that cannot be matched in C AR: Almost all former U of A athletes are ultimately given the opportunity to stay & work in NWA. As their families grow, more talent goes into the pipeline. When those forces combine in Jr. High and pool their talent, that's when you see the cycles of Bentonville-then-Fayetteville-then-Springdale-then Har-Ber. IMO.

zebradynasty

I would like to point out that this dominance is only prevalent in 7A, specifically the 7A West, and not in the smaller classifications. The access to wealth allowed the 7A West to have better teams but not produce better players in the numbers that one would think. According to rivals the top 15 in the state for 2018 only two players are from the 7A west. Of course there are cycles but more often than not the better players come from smaller schools in Arkansas. Central Arkansas has exhibited a pulse lately but has a long way to go be what it once was. 

footballfan-tastic

The 7A schools come from the largest area's of population but the 6A, 5A, 4A and so on schools in NWA are from mostly smaller poplulation towns, a few of these have grown but not like the growth in Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers.  PineBluf has a large population in comparison to the rest of the 6A.  5A schools like Farmington are not large either. 

Pr8hd

zebradynasty

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 28, 2017, 12:42:53 pm
PineBluf has a large population in comparison to the rest of the 6A.  5A schools like Farmington are not large either. 

You have to divide that by 3 school districts. There has been talk of a merger but...not there yet. With all three schools losing students something will have to be done but it wont be anytime soon.

footballfan-tastic

Well two schools, the number I saw didn't include White Hall but did include at least partly Watson Chapel.  Still PB is maybe the largest 6A school.  All the classifications have mixed bag of enrollment numbers and highly different populations within the city/town they are in.

AHS06

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 28, 2017, 03:04:02 pm
Well two schools, the number I saw didn't include White Hall but did include at least partly Watson Chapel.  Still PB is maybe the largest 6A school.  All the classifications have mixed bag of enrollment numbers and highly different populations within the city/town they are in.
There are three school in PB (PB, WC, and Dollarway) and PB is not close to being the largest school in 6A.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AHS06 on November 28, 2017, 03:08:09 pm
There are three school in PB (PB, WC, and Dollarway) and PB is not close to being the largest school in 6A.

Numbers I saw puts them at about 26,ooo for PB school district, is that not correct? Benton is about 35,000.

zebradynasty

November 28, 2017, 03:45:44 pm #17 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:49:40 pm by zebradynasty
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 28, 2017, 03:12:28 pm
Numbers I saw puts them at about 26,ooo for PB school district, is that not correct? Benton is about 35,000.

Not sure what numbers you saw but as AHS said PBH is not even close to being the largest 6A school. Also need to remember White Hall is a city on it's own has nothing to do with PB other than it shares a border with Dollarway and Watson Chapel school districts. Here are the latest enrollment figures.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/CLASSIFICATION_REPORT.pdf

businesstron

Really only a couple of teams in NWA have benifitted from this.  Bentonville has it's growth and talented kids because of Wal-Mart.   Fayetteville will always field a decent team because of the University of Arkansas.   Rogers and Springdale aren't that good compared to the rest of the state.  Harber is but after the last few years they are kind of going down hill. 

The splitting of schools will eventually bring the 7a west back down to earth. 

francocat

I normally wouldn't root for NLR in a tiddly-winks game, but after reading this, I'm ready for a change. Let's Go Charging Wildcats!:

"I think that is important as a member of the conference," Bentonville head coach and Greenwood alumni Jody Grant said. "I don't want to be the one that blows that one. It's most important selfishly for us, our program, and I want these kids to be able to finish the thing out but as our conference as a whole it is important."

footballfan-tastic

I'll say this about size.  The 6A has more balance than any of the others.  7A has over 1000 kids from biggest to smallest, 6A about 300.  5A difference is nearly double from top to bottom as is the 4A.  Its those schools at the bottom of the 5A, 4A that really are at disadvantages.  The real difference being in the percentage of difference from top to bottom in numbers.  Makes if hard on many schools at the bottom to compete.  WE have 16 schools in 7A with better than 1000 difference and yet 5A down has double and tripe that number. 

friscokid

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 28, 2017, 09:41:16 pm
I'll say this about size.  The 6A has more balance than any of the others.  7A has over 1000 kids from biggest to smallest, 6A about 300.  5A difference is nearly double from top to bottom as is the 4A.  Its those schools at the bottom of the 5A, 4A that really are at disadvantages.  The real difference being in the percentage of difference from top to bottom in numbers.  Makes if hard on many schools at the bottom to compete.  WE have 16 schools in 7A with better than 1000 difference and yet 5A down has double and tripe that number.
In terms of raw numbers, yes, there is a big gap from top to bottom in 7A. But in terms of percentages, it's less than a 2-to-1 ratio and it's gotten narrower as the big schools split. It'll always be tough for the school at the low end, but that's life. At least in 7A there's not a massive school dominating like Allen, Texas does.

Pr8hd

November 29, 2017, 12:52:52 pm #22 Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:55:33 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: francocat on November 28, 2017, 04:22:03 pm
I normally wouldn't root for NLR in a tiddly-winks game, but after reading this, I'm ready for a change. Let's Go Charging Wildcats!:

"I think that is important as a member of the conference," Bentonville head coach and Greenwood alumni Jody Grant said. "I don't want to be the one that blows that one. It's most important selfishly for us, our program, and I want these kids to be able to finish the thing out but as our conference as a whole it is important."

It's not much different than wanting the SEC to continue it's dominance in football at the college level or some other significant streak. No one ever wants to be the one that blows a streak. I can't blame him for saying that especially in article about the dominance  in the west. I am sure NLR is saying we need to be the ones to end the streak and no one faults them for that being their mantra. Kudos to them if they do, but kudos to Bentonville as well if they can maintain it.

footballfan-tastic

2 to 1 is a pretty big difference.  Its close to that in most if not all classifications.  Maybe we just need more 16 team classifications. Could just have 8 in 7A.. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas