• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Electric Poll

Started by High Voltage, October 18, 2017, 09:29:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

High Voltage

It's time to do a serious poll that does not play favorites, so here goes nothing! Overall rankings only.

#1. Bentonville West - Good coach, talented players. I watched them WHIP Harber. Week #10 will be huge.

#2. North Little Rock - They have the tools. Will this be the year they get by the West?

#3. Bryant - I would have them #1 but their starting QB being out scares me a bit.

#4 Greenwood - I would have them higher as well but they have struggled against better opponents at times. Too up and down.

#5. Pulaski Academy - In a one game set they might beat anyone in the state. Hard to judge how good they are based on them playing a 5A schedule. Very well coached and talented.

#6. Pine Bluff - They have a great coach that get's them better each game. By week 10 nobody will want to face Pine Bluff.

#7. Conway - The loss to Springdale is puzzling, but then they beat Bennie! Gonna be some great playoff games in the 7A.

#8. Bentonville - Week #10 is huge for Bennie. The loss to Rockhurst doesn't bother me, but the loss to Conway does.

#9. Springdale Harber - The once #1 is now beaten by both Bennie teams. Can they rebound? This guy says no.

#10. West Memphis - This just may be their year! Great coach in Billy Elmore and they always have talent. Time will tell as Pine Bluff looms large on the horizon.

MDXPHD

But...in a scrimmage game...

incogneto

I don't see any poll where Bryant is above PA as a valid poll.  PA has beaten them soundly that few times they have lined up.  They are clearly a better team. 

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 18, 2017, 10:35:48 am
But...in a scrimmage game...

Yea, scrimmages don't count.  But, they do give you a feel for which team is better.  After watching PA  scrimmage Bryant this year, if they played in a game that counts, I'd give you 10 points and take PA for $1,000.  It's ridiculous to say scrimmages don't give a very good indication of which team is better.

Most posters know that I don't brag about how PA could beat other teams.  But I get very tired of posters denigrating PA for whipping other teams, specifically 7A teams, in scrimmages and claiming that proves nothing.  It certainly gives a very good indication of the better team.  What, you think Buck James didn't want to win that scrimmage?  Get real.

MDXPHD

It's a scrimmage for a reason though. I don't think it's a good indicator of who the better team is at all. Just like I don't think NFL preseason is a good indicator.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 19, 2017, 09:53:22 pm
It's a scrimmage for a reason though. I don't think it's a good indicator of who the better team is at all. Just like I don't think NFL preseason is a good indicator.

So you think Buck James didn't want to beat PA in the scrimmage?  Or that Kelley didn't want to beat Bryant?  If they both wanted to win, and I assure you that they did, how is that a poor indicator of the relative strength of the teams?

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 19, 2017, 10:15:43 pm
So you think Buck James didn't want to beat PA in the scrimmage?  Or that Kelley didn't want to beat Bryant?  If they both wanted to win, and I assure you that they did, how is that a poor indicator of the relative strength of the teams?

No clue about Buck. I believe Kelley wanted to win, because he just likes to get everyone talking about it. Winning a scrimmage just isn't indicative of much I don't think. It's to learn your strengths and weaknesses, to evaluate what works and what doesn't, see what players have and done have, and just really test everything out. Not necessarily play your best players and call your best plays. This is how I view a scrimmage, which can and will obviously be different to each person.

the voice

October 19, 2017, 10:27:20 pm #7 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:30:36 pm by the voice
I think scrimmages give you an idea of how teams match up , however IMO kk is gonna run his offense regardless of setting. Against whoever whenever. Not that it's a bad thing. On the other hand the other team may be trying out plays against certain alignments . To me the biggest difference would be the game planning or lack of it most times. I know our coach doesn't do much if any for scrimmages , they pretty much do what they're gonna do as it comes along. It's frustrating at times as a fan. But I've learned to not expect a lot from our scrimmages.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 19, 2017, 10:21:24 pm
No clue about Buck. I believe Kelley wanted to win, because he just likes to get everyone talking about it. Winning a scrimmage just isn't indicative of much I don't think. It's to learn your strengths and weaknesses, to evaluate what works and what doesn't, see what players have and done have, and just really test everything out. Not necessarily play your best players and call your best plays. This is how I view a scrimmage, which can and will obviously be different to each person.

Fair enough.  Different strokes.  I think Buck would love to beat Kelley even if it's just a scrimmage.  They played their starters until the fourth quarter when both JV's played.  Would you take my 1,000 bet with 10 points?

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 19, 2017, 10:28:26 pm
Fair enough.  Different strokes.  I think Buck would love to beat Kelley even if it's just a scrimmage.  They played their starters until the fourth quarter when both JV's played.  Would you take my 1,000 bet with 10 points?

Nope. I think in a one game series PA beats Bryant. I just view scrimmages differently I think. PA could hang with any team in the state for one full game. Looking forward to the Harber series.

the voice

You only giving 10 points ??

😂😂

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on October 19, 2017, 10:31:54 pm
You only giving 10 points ??

😂😂

I ain't saying Bryant is a bad team!  And I ain't stupid!

But I will predict that NLR will beat Bryant handily.  I'll also predict that Bryant won't go farther than the semifinals.  I respect Buck a lot.  I think he's a very good coach.  But, this year, i just don't think Bryant can hang with the best teams in 7A.  I think they are ranked way too high.

Complete Biased PoV

Can we please stop calling it a "scrimmage"?  It is a benefit game.  A scrimmage is scripted by how many plays each team gets, situations, etc.  PA has not done that since 2010.  The benefit game is a regular game with the exception of kicking.  So yes, it does give insight to which team is better, even if the teams are keeping it "vanilla".  In 2011, after the benefit game against Fayetteville Daryl Patton made a statement in the ADG "The only way PA loses a game this year is if their bus breaks down." They went 14-0, so the benefit game showed him something...

PA Dad

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on October 19, 2017, 10:46:42 pm
Can we please stop calling it a "scrimmage"?  It is a benefit game.  A scrimmage is scripted by how many plays each team gets, situations, etc.  PA has not done that since 2010.  The benefit game is a regular game with the exception of kicking.  So yes, it does give insight to which team is better, even if the teams are keeping it "vanilla".  In 2011, after the benefit game against Fayetteville Daryl Patton made a statement in the ADG "The only way PA loses a game this year is if their bus breaks down." They went 14-0, so the benefit game showed him something...

Amen!

Yellowcake

Guess you had to be there. It wasn't a scrimmage. At all. But let's move on. Maybe mercy rule the PA talk for a while.

I like the rankings. Fair enough at this point.

I saw west Memphis play at searcy. They have a running back who carried the ball at least 35 times. If that kid stays healthy, they have a shot to go far. However, I don't think they will be able to handle Greenwood. It won't be the year they win it all. That trophy is all but Greenwood's in my humble opinion.

As for Bryant, I am reasonably confident they have already played their only game in war memorial this year in the sodium chloride bowl. It will be two teams from NWA or one of them versus NLR.

One man's opinion.

Chief_Osceola™

MDXPHD

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on October 19, 2017, 10:46:42 pm

You guys are literally the only team in the state that pounds your chests over a preseason "benefit game." But hey, congrats on the big wins in those games each year!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 19, 2017, 11:26:52 pm
Guess you had to be there. It wasn't a scrimmage. At all. But let's move on. Maybe mercy rule the PA talk for a while.

I like the rankings. Fair enough at this point.

I saw west Memphis play at searcy. They have a running back who carried the ball at least 35 times. If that kid stays healthy, they have a shot to go far. However, I don't think they will be able to handle Greenwood. It won't be the year they win it all. That trophy is all but Greenwood's in my humble opinion.

As for Bryant, I am reasonably confident they have already played their only game in war memorial this year in the sodium chloride bowl. It will be two teams from NWA or one of them versus NLR.

One man's opinion.

Agree about greenwood. They look very good. Pine bluff may peak at the right time though, they're gaining a lot of momentum.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 20, 2017, 06:31:06 am
You guys are literally the only team in the state that pounds your chests over a preseason "benefit game." But hey, congrats on the big wins in those games each year!

Of course, Buck trots his entire second team offense and defense out in the 2nd quarter of all "real" games just to spot the other team an extra 14 points or so...  And when would you expect the superior numbers of one team to start wearing down the smaller team?  The 4th quarter when Bryant and PA were playing 3rd and 4th teamers instead of trying to win a ballgame.  Now I am not saying Bryant would definitely beat PA in a regular season game.  PA starters outscored Bryant starters while both were in (not by a lot) but I am saying the game would have been played differently.  On the other side of things, Bryant would have had to deal with the onside kicks (which they didn't do so well against FSSS) so maybe it would have been worse.  My point is that there is definitely a difference between a benefit game and a regular season game.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: PA Dad on October 19, 2017, 10:28:26 pm

The PA players were told by CKK that the benefit game would consist of 3 quarters with starters at full speed and then switch it up a little in 4Q.  That's pretty much what I saw at the game and PA won easily. 

Overdahill

October 20, 2017, 09:16:05 am #21 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:17:59 am by Overdahill
Quote from: MDXPHD on October 20, 2017, 06:31:06 am

I haven't seen anyone "pounding their chests" over any of those. Expressing the opinion that we would also beat them in a real game to folks who say it was meaningless, yes to that

IAFLAR7

Quote from: PA Dad on October 19, 2017, 09:45:12 pm
Yea, scrimmages don't count.  But, they do give you a feel for which team is better.  After watching PA  scrimmage Bryant this year, if they played in a game that counts, I'd give you 10 points and take PA for $1,000.  It's ridiculous to say scrimmages don't give a very good indication of which team is better.

Most posters know that I don't brag about how PA could beat other teams.  But I get very tired of posters denigrating PA for whipping other teams, specifically 7A teams, in scrimmages and claiming that proves nothing.  It certainly gives a very good indication of the better team.  What, you think Buck James didn't want to win that scrimmage?  Get real.
He wants to win the big boy title - 7A. Which is why PA is the perfect team to scrimmage since they are so efficient and treat it like a real game. Helps them identify what they need to work on, etc.
That said, it is in no way a reflection of what a real game would be like.
PA on any given day could probably beat most teams but no way they could run the gauntlet of a 7A schedule unscathed. They just don't have the depth.

incogneto

October 20, 2017, 10:02:50 am #23 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:13:21 am by incogneto
You people are kidding yourselves if you think for a second Bryant isn't trying to win that game. 

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on October 20, 2017, 09:09:09 am
The PA players were told by CKK that the benefit game would consist of 3 quarters with starters at full speed and then switch it up a little in 4Q.  That's pretty much what I saw at the game and PA won easily.

Yes, it was strictly a Bryant decision to put the 2nd team in for a bit in the 2nd qtr.  I'm just saying he wouldn't do that in a real game.  He was trying to get a look at those players under the lights to see who needed to be in the rotation.  Maybe PA would win a real game but maybe not.  If you asked the Fayetteville folks after the 3rd quarter, I'm sure they were fairly confident they had the game won.  But that big line wears on you.  Fayetteville had to go for two in OT because the team was gassed.  If you had asked me 2 weeks ago, I would have taken the $1000 bet straight up - no points.  I need a little more film on the sophomore QB before making that bet currently.  Either way, if Bryant has those same penalties and turnovers that got them in trouble against PA and Fayetteville, NLR will take them to the woodshed!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas