• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have an interesting question.

Started by JessieP, October 17, 2017, 05:19:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Being somewhat new to this board and not a long time follower of high school football, I was curious as to who would people say was our biggest name to be recruited? Here's an example, Hunter Henry was the top player in the State but was only an ESPN 4 Star player. Mitch Mustain was the Gatorade player of the year and a 5 Star recruit, but a stiff in college. As far as I know DeAngelo Williams is the most accomplished of the three but surprisingly enough he was also only a 3 Star. Who would you rate #1? Is there another name I'm missing? I mean has there ever been a player that was 5 Star that I'm missing? Have we ever had a player where ESPN said on recruiting day "let's head out to Batesville where Joe Blow is about to announce his decision"?

RamFan06

Was Agim not a 5 star top 2 or 3 D End?

PrivateLesson

Have you McFadden?? 

Darius Winston was 5star

bigchief72455

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on October 17, 2017, 05:19:51 pm
Being somewhat new to this board and not a long time follower of high school football, I was curious as to who would people say was our biggest name to be recruited? Here's an example, Hunter Henry was the top player in the State but was only an ESPN 4 Star player. Mitch Mustain was the Gatorade player of the year and a 5 Star recruit, but a stiff in college. As far as I know DeAngelo Williams is the most accomplished of the three but surprisingly enough he was also only a 3 Star. Who would you rate #1? Is there another name I'm missing? I mean has there ever been a player that was 5 Star that I'm missing? Have we ever had a player where ESPN said on recruiting day "let's head out to Batesville where Joe Blow is about to announce his decision"?

Michael Dyer was a 5 Star at LRCA

walkingguy72396

How about Wayne Martin?  Before my time but he is in the Saints Hall of fame

PrivateLesson

PA Bruin Fan

Wonderdog

Basil Shabazz? Not sure what star recruit he was or would have been, but he was highly recruited and things did not pan out well after high school in regards to athletics.

PA Dad

I thought Hunter Henry was a 5 star.  He was ranked the No. 1 or 2 tight end in the country.

Overdahill

Quote from: PA Dad on October 17, 2017, 06:20:19 pm
I thought Hunter Henry was a 5 star.  He was ranked the No. 1 or 2 tight end in the country.

Four stars but he may have been the #2 rated TE. five star is a very short list

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on October 17, 2017, 06:24:19 pm

Thanks.  I don't keep up with recruiting much, but being ranked in the top 5 in the country at any position is a big deal.

bulldogger15

Quote from: PA Dad on October 17, 2017, 06:20:19 pm
Kinda surprised you didn't say he was a 6 Star.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PA Dad

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 17, 2017, 06:29:52 pm
Kinda surprised you didn't say he was a 6 Star.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

He probably should have been!

MDXPHD

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on October 17, 2017, 06:24:19 pm

That's correct. In theory you could be the number 1 ranked rb but only a 4 Star recruit. I didn't know Dyer was 5 Star.

JessieP

I thought I had a new number 1. Damian Williams was a 5 Star, was a factor at USC, played 4 years in the NFL. Great stats but still can't unseat De Angelo Williams. Could Hunter Henry? he's getting a lot of catches, only his second year. Time will tell. As far a Dyer, what s shame. That poor sap couldn't focus on that potential NFL money, he thought he's stay "Gangsta" and sell pot. What an idiot.

Yellowcake

Here's the 5 star recruits I recall from arkansas that we got
McFadden
Darius Winston (Helena west Helena)
Agim (hope)
Mustain (Springdale)
I believe Damian williams was a four star, as was Darius Howard, Shawn Andrews and joe adams.

5 stars I recall leaving the state
Cedric (can't recall last name but was from Clarendon and went to Tennessee)
Michael dyer
The big lineman from Rogers that went to auburn (possible he was four star)
Broderick Green (pa and went to USC before transferring back here

The best two running backs I ever saw in ark high school were Shabazz and McFadden. The greatest single game performances I ever saw included Shabazz against Texarkana in a state championship game and Kenneth Dixon in a state championship game. Dude is in the NFL NOW, AND WE didn't even offer him.

Jerry Eckwood did some things in high school that were hard to describe. He was so so good. But I am showing my age now.

YC

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 17, 2017, 10:00:52 pm

Jerry Eckwood did some things in high school that were hard to describe. He was so so good. But I am showing my age now.

Jerry was absolutely one of the best. He could have gone to any school in the nation. Terrible shame he had the back injury. Even with the injured back he was still better than many.

Frank would fly into the old airport near Greenland after a recruiting trip and Barbara would meet him. Her first question was always "how is it going with getting Jerry" He was not an automatic get and Frank had to work hard to get him. But Frank had a way of getting those great recruits.

Great player and IIRC he was from the little town of Brinkley.   

Chief_Osceola™

McFadden
Agim (hope)
Mustain (Springdale)
I believe Damian williams was a four star, as was Darius Howard, Shawn Andrews and joe adams.

Michael dyer

The best two running backs I ever saw in ark high school were Shabazz and McFadden. The greatest single game performances I ever saw included Shabazz against Texarkana in a state championship game and Kenneth Dixon in a state championship game. Dude is in the NFL NOW, AND WE didn't even offer him.

Cedric Houston was the guy from Clarendon that went to UTjr.

Chief_Osceola™

Who would you all consider the biggest bust out of the ones mentioned so far?

I can think of a couple. One may not have been mentioned but I didn't look too closely.

BruinBacker

Cortez Kennedy may predate the star system for high school but he played on a state championship team at Rivercrest, won a national championship at Miami in 89 and played for Seattle for a decade making the Pro Bowl 8 times and going into the Pro FB Hall of Fame.  He is on the list certainly.

JessieP

Quote from: BruinBacker on October 17, 2017, 11:46:41 pm
Cortez Kennedy may predate the star system for high school but he played on a state championship team at Rivercrest, won a national championship at Miami in 89 and played for Seattle for a decade making the Pro Bowl 8 times and going into the Pro FB Hall of Fame.  He is on the list certainly.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Kudos BruinBacker. I had no idea he was an Arkansas boy. Yes, he passes DeAngelo. He is considered oe of the best all time. Miami Dynasty teams and NFL HOF. That's a resume.

Complete Biased PoV

McFadden
Agim (hope)
Mustain (Springdale)

Michael dyer

Lee Ziemba

OB11

Quote from: JessieP on October 17, 2017, 11:55:10 pm
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Kudos BruinBacker. I had no idea he was an Arkansas boy. Yes, he passes DeAngelo. He is considered oe of the best all time. Miami Dynasty teams and NFL HOF. That's a resume.

Was hoping someone would mention Kennedy. One of the greatest football players of all time. Fun Fact: His mom held him out of the state championship game his 10th grade year because she wasn't happy with his grades. We need more of those parents today.

Bruin Backer

Let's go way back. Leotis Harris from LR Hall. I'm not sure anyone was ranking recruits at the time. I played with him, and remember that he was the most sought after OL in the state. Played at Arkansas and then for the Green Bay Packers. Is in the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame.

MDXPHD

Quote from: OB11 on October 18, 2017, 09:26:50 am
Was hoping someone would mention Kennedy. One of the greatest football players of all time. Fun Fact: His mom held him out of the state championship game his 10th grade year because she wasn't happy with his grades. We need more of those parents today.

Wow! I wish all parents were like that today. See, he learned what discipline was. I bet his mother is a huge reason for his success.

Rocket23

Pine Bluff's Don Hudson! (Although he did not attend Arkansas)

Still considered one of the best in Alabama history.

Deuceswild

K.J. Hill out of NLR was a 4 Star top 300, he's a sophomore at The Ohio State. I didn't follow him in high school but knew he committed. Still has a lot of football in him.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Deuceswild on October 18, 2017, 07:28:44 pm
I didn't follow him in high school but knew he committed.

That's an interesting can of worms.

Deuceswild

Indulge me? What's the story on him?

Pioneer86

October 19, 2017, 01:26:37 pm #31 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:51:42 pm by Pioneer86
One of the least rated players: Cliff Harris- Des Arc High School  Ouachita Baptist grad.
Harris was only offered a scholarship to Ouachita Baptist University and not drafted but invited to a Dallas camp.
10 seasons with Dallas Cowboys, appeared in 5 super bowls (only 13 players have ever been to 5) selected to 6 consecutive Pro Bowls. OBU's stadium is: Cliff Harris Stadium  and there is the Cliff Harris Award presented to the top defensive player in the country representing Division II, III & NAIA.
Career highlights and awards
2× Super Bowl champion (VI, XII)
6× Pro Bowl (1974–1979)
4× First-team All-Pro (1975–1978)
Second-team All-Pro (1974)
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor
2× All-Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference (1968, 1969)

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Deuceswild on October 18, 2017, 10:04:51 pm
Indulge me? What's the story on him?

Long story, but I think the big deal was his father's dealings with NLR and the coach at the time.  I don't think any of it really had anything to do with OSU or Meyer.

Go Postal

October 20, 2017, 07:41:20 am #33 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:43:44 am by Go Postal
Here's a summary of a kid that made a impact even after he died.

When Brandon Burlsworth arrived on campus in 1994 as a walk-on, he had no money, no famous last name, and absolutely no Division 1 scholarship offers. Through his unbelievable work ethic and ceaseless determination, Brandon not only earned a scholarship, but became team captain, All-SEC 1997-1998, First Team All-American in 1998, and the first All-American from the University of Arkansas in a decade. His success was not limited to the gridiron. He was also named to the All-SEC Academic Honor Roll  1995-1998 and was the first football player in the entire history of his university to earn a Master's degree "before" playing his last game. Brandon was selected by the Indianapolis Colts as the 63rd overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft. After minicamp, he was projected by his coaches to start as a rookie.

Unfortunately, Brandon was tragically killed in a head-on automobile collision just 11 days after the draft. Today, the University of Arkansas has created an endowment in Brandon's name. Eighteen $5,000 academic scholarships and one $10,000 Walk-0n athletic scholarship are awarded each year to enrolled University of Arkansas upper class-men who exemplify the qualities that Brandon represented. The Brandon Burlsworth Foundation is engaged in various charitable endeavors including the provision of free eye care to thousands of underprivileged children. In 2010 the Burlsworth Trophy was created to honor the achievements and successes of the walk-on athlete. This award is presented annually to the most outstanding Division 1 college football player who began his career as a walk-on.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Go Postal on October 20, 2017, 07:41:20 am
Here's a summary of a kid that made a impact even after he died.

When Brandon Burlsworth arrived on campus in 1994 as a walk-on, he had no money, no famous last name, and absolutely no Division 1 scholarship offers. Through his unbelievable work ethic and ceaseless determination, Brandon not only earned a scholarship, but became team captain, All-SEC 1997-1998, First Team All-American in 1998, and the first All-American from the University of Arkansas in a decade. His success was not limited to the gridiron. He was also named to the All-SEC Academic Honor Roll  1995-1998 and was the first football player in the entire history of his university to earn a Master's degree "before" playing his last game. Brandon was selected by the Indianapolis Colts as the 63rd overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft. After minicamp, he was projected by his coaches to start as a rookie.

Unfortunately, Brandon was tragically killed in a head-on automobile collision just 11 days after the draft. Today, the University of Arkansas has created an endowment in Brandon's name. Eighteen $5,000 academic scholarships and one $10,000 Walk-0n athletic scholarship are awarded each year to enrolled University of Arkansas upper class-men who exemplify the qualities that Brandon represented. The Brandon Burlsworth Foundation is engaged in various charitable endeavors including the provision of free eye care to thousands of underprivileged children. In 2010 the Burlsworth Trophy was created to honor the achievements and successes of the walk-on athlete. This award is presented annually to the most outstanding Division 1 college football player who began his career as a walk-on.
Nice of you to post Postal.  +1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas