• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma at Harrison 2017

Started by Paw-Paw, October 14, 2017, 12:27:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Paw-Paw

So I'll add my thoughts (and graphics) later on, but my do we have a huge game in the conference that'll really help begin to cement the playoff scenarios in the 5A-West.

Long road trip for Alma to head north to take on the Gobs. This'll also be my first time coming to Harrison since the stadium renovations have been done so I'm looking forward to seeing it in-person instead of through someone else's videos and pictures. Go Postal, we also need to make a meet and greet happen so I can finally introduce myself.

As always, GO AIREDALES.

Big Red Fan

Watching both teams play and not having a horse in the race I say Goblins by 21.

the voice

This game is huge , after it one team will have two losses in conference. The west is about to get very interesting. Could come down to points in conference seeding.

Go Postal

The last time the Goblins won against the Airedales was when my son played them as a Junior.
Harrison's record vs Alma:
2001 (08)   L, 7 - 27
2002 (04)   L, 10 - 20
2003 (04)   W, 21 - 0   
2004 (07)   L, 7 - 28
2005 (07)   L, 6 - 23   
2006-10-20   W, 22 - 21
2007-10-19   W, 23 - 7            
2008-10-24   L, 7 - 40            
2009-10-23   L, 17 - 32            
2010-10-08   L, 0 - 39            
2011-10-07   L, 6 - 27   
2012-10-05   L, 13 - 29         
2013-10-11   L, 24 - 35            
2014-09-19   L, 16 - 53                     
2015-09-18   L, 21 - 45                     
2016-10-21   L, 14 - 49

It really all boils down to this and I'm not trying to take anything away from the outstanding job that the two Panther teams did in the last Friday games, but,
If Harrison plays like they did against Greenbrier, then Alma will win.
If Alma plays like they did against Clarkville, then Harrison will win.

I imagine that both teams will be indepth studying film and hitting the field hard this week for this upcoming game.

AIREDALE25

Alma shocked me last night they let Clarksville hold on. Garrison Jensen made a big pick 6 to finish the game. First play in defense.  I think Alma wins by 7

Deuceswild

Postal I luv your history records, not too proud of this one but the fact that you keep up with all of this is truly amazing.

Go Postal

Thanks Deuces, but it's not what you know but knowing where to look it up.  These records are from the fabulous work done by the people that work for fearlessfriday and keep it up to date.  I just copied and pasted.  Now I did make and do keep the State Champs/Runner-up records in Arkansas for all time on the soccer forum but that was with the tremendous help and information from that sport's fans and non soccer fan statisticians.

Overdahill

i'm going with Harrison in this one

Go Postal

Here's a little retro of a Goblins/Airedales game back when we were AAAA.  Found this on the internet.  Harrison, Alma fans and anyone that likes statistics, feel free to copy/paste this to your football info files for posterity.

1999 State Championship game
02 December 1999
GAME OF THE WEEK
No. 2 Alma vs. No. 1 Harrison. The stakes are much higher this time around. When the Goblins ground out a 9-7 victory in Week 9, they captured their first outright conference title since 1989. But now the Goblins are searching for something Alma has a state title. Actually, the Airedales, who are in the finals for the third consecutive year, have three state titles, including two in a row. Harrison is in the championship game for the first time in school history. Alma is the only team to play the undefeated Goblins within two touchdowns this year. The Goblins used their defense to score a safety in the opening minutes and senior running back Tyler Lee lumbered in from 3 yards out in the second quarter as Harrison built a 9-0 halftime lead.
But Lee suffered a partial tear in his ACL just before halftime, missed the final half and backfield mate Cody Estes was held out of the game with a pinched nerve in his neck. Both players are back, but so is the Alma defense, which has allowed four touchdowns in the past six games.

ALMA-HARRISON BY THE NUMBERS
Defense is the reason Alma and Harrison are in the state championship game. The Airedales have given up 128 points in 13 games (9.8 ppg) while the Goblins have yielded 84 points (6.5 ppg). In the playoffs, Alma's opponents have scored 20 points, while Harrison's opposition has scored 40 points ... Much has been spoken and written about Alma's playoff prowess on the road during the past three years. The two-time defending state champs have won 11 playoff games during the past three years, including 10 on the road ... Hooten's Arkansas Football tabbed Harrison No. 2 and Alma No. 3 in its preseason rankings. The Goblins stayed in the second spot until this week when they eased into the top spot. Alma, despite tallying four losses in the regular season, only fell to No. 7 in Week 6. In the playoffs, Harrison has beaten preseason No. 4 Hope, No. 1 Osceola and No. 6 Greenwood. Alma has defeated No. 10 Magnolia, No. 7 Newport and No. 5 Wynne ... Harrison coach Tommy Tice has 206 career victories, Alma coach Frank Vines has 207 career wins.
This will be the 20th meeting between Harrison and Alma with Tice and Vines as the coaches. The series is tied 9-9-1 ... This will be Alma's eighth appearance in the championship game. The Airedales won the title in 1980, 1997 and 1998 and finished as runner-up in 1978, 1979, 1981 and 1992. Harrison's 30-13 win at Greenwood last week was its first victory in seven semifinal games.

SOPHOMORE CONTINUES KICKING ALMA TO WINS
If not for sophomore kicker Dustin Limbocker, Alma might not have the opportunity to play for a third consecutive state title. Limbocker, who wasn't even the team's kicker when fall drills began, has handled the pressure like an upperclassman. He kicked the decisive extra point in a 7-6 first round win at Magnolia, the winning field goal in a 10-7 triumph at Newport and a 20-yard field goal in a 10-7 overtime win at Wynne last week. "What's amazing is that he didn't kick that much in junior high," Alma coach Frank Vines said. "He wasn't the kicker at the beginning of the year. He started kicking for us early in the season. I think that (kicking coach) Tom McMurry deserves all the credit for developing him. This is the second year we've started the season without a kicker, and coach McMurry has developed some talent that has helped us win games."

09 December 1999 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME RECAP

Harrison claimed its first state title Saturday and capped a perfect regular season when senior Tommy Edwards kicked a 26-yard field goal as time expired to down the Alma Airedales 10-7. Edwards, the game's MVP, broke a 69-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter to help the Goblins tie the game, 7-7. Alma, which was playing in its third straight state championship game, drove down the field and appeared ready to get into scoring position. But Harrison linebacker Cody Estes stripped the ball from Alma quarterback Russell Scoggins with 3:22 left to set up the winning score.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Alma and Harrison advanced to the championship game because of their defenses and neither team disappointed on Saturday as only 17 points were scored. Alma gave up fewer than 7 ppg in its three playoff victories while Harrison yielded 6.5 ppg all season. Harrison's offense managed 175 yards last week, its lowest output of the season, while Alma gained 179 yards. The telling statistic was turnovers: Harrison had one, Alma two. Harrison senior linebacker Joe Ramsey was the leading tackler with 12 and defensive end Stephen Guinn added 10 stops. Senior linebacker B.J. Stroud led Alma with seven tackles. "Their defense got so much better throughout the year," Harrison coach Tice said. "They got a lot better when (linebacker) Casey Oliver moved in from Greenwood. He brought intensity with him and his aggressive personality wore off on the rest of the team." Oliver's first game was in Week 6 against Vilonia and he started in Week 9 against Siloam Springs. Oliver made six stops in the title game.

CLOSE CALLS PROVE PIVOTAL
Harrison appeared nervous before the game and it showed as the offense sputtered throughout the first half. But the Goblins caught a break late in the second quarter when Alma running back Don Simpson's 40-yard run was called back for a block below the waist. "That was a bad call," Alma coach Frank Vines said. "It was a crack-back block and the receiver hit the guy in the waist and then slid down. Any score in a game like that is important because points are at a premium." Simpson also just missed catching a desperation pass on the last play of the first half when he slipped behind the Harrison defensive backs near the 5-yard line.

SOMETHING IN THE WATER
What's the secret to winning a state title? For Harrison and Class AAAAA winner Fort Smith Northside it could have been attending the Arkansas Riverblades hockey game on Friday night. The two champions witnessed the Riverblades 4-3 shootout win over the Louisiana IceGators "It was good to see all that violence right before we played," Harrison coach Tommy Tice said.

QUOTABLE
Harrison's Tommy Tice: "I was fine till they poured the ice water on me. I've had pneumonia for two weeks and haven't recovered yet. I'm still looking for the two kids who dumped the water on me. I thought I was going to die after the game, of course, some of that was because of the game."

Alma's Frank Vines: "Our kids really rose up. We asked them to leave it all on the field, and they did. It's disappointing that we lost this game. But, it's better to get to (the championship game) and lose than to not get there."

TWO-MINUTE DRILL
Tommy Edwards' leg proved to be the difference in the game, and not just because he hit the winning field goal. The senior averaged 43.3 yards on six punts, backing Alma within its own 30-yard line on several occasions and allowing Harrison to control the battle of field position...Alma sophomore running back Don Simpson led all rushers with 56 yards on 11 carries. Simpson also had a 40-yard TD run negated because of a block below the waist...Harrison's offense averaged more than 32 ppg. But the Goblins averaged 2.5 yards per rushing attempt last week...No doubt about it, the West was the best conference in 1999. The West compiled a 9-3 record in the playoffs, the East had a 4-4 playoff mark, the Southeast and Southwest each had 1-4 postseason records.

PRESEASON RANKINGS
Harrison began the year ranked No. 2 while Alma was ranked No. 3. The only team in the preseason top eight that did not make it to the quarterfinals was Hope, which lost in the first round to Harrison, 35-21. Osceola was the only other top 6 team which did not make it to the semifinals...Arkadelphia was the biggest mover in the poll, starting at No. 21 and finishing at No. 8. Hope dropped the most spots, going from No. 4 to No. 16.

CLASS AAAA
1. Harrison (14-0)
2. Alma (9-5)
3. Wynne (12-1)
4. Greenwood (7-6)
5. Osceola (9-2)
6. Newport (8-4)
7. Watson Chapel (9-2)
8. Arkadelphia (5-6-1)
9. Lake Hamilton (9-2)
10. Searcy (8-3)
11. Stuttgart (9-2)
12. White Hall (7-3-1)
13. West Helena (6-4)
14. Magnolia (6-5)
15. Batesville (5-6)
16. Hope (6-5)
17. Morrilton (6-4)
18. Ashdown (6-4)
19. Monticello (6-4)
20. Crossett (4-6)
21. Marion (4-6)
22. HS Lakeside (5-5)
23. Malvern (3-7)
24. Greenbrier (4-6)
25. Vilonia (3-7)
26. Nettleton (3-7)
27. Siloam Springs (3-7)
28. Greene County Tech (3-7)
29. Paragould (1-9)
30. North Pulaski (1-9)
31. Hot Springs (0-10)
32. Dumas (0-10)

Deuceswild

Would be pretty neat to have players from both those teams there that night. A lot of history between these two obviously.

PA Dad

I don't know what to think about this game.  All season, I've thought these two teams would battle for the conference championship.  After Friday night, I'm not sure.  I now think Morrilton may be the best team in the West.

I'll go with Harrison only because they are at home.

PrivateLesson

P.F.G.

Alma and Harrison will play for the the conference title. I agree Morrilton is the best team though. That qb will be a beast for the next couple years. Alma by 3 and it's a toss up depending on what team shows up for each.

Paw-Paw

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Greyhands

Should be a good game im not making a prediction when I did that last week the Goblins got their teeth kicked in

pantherblue

I have a sneaky suspicion that harryson wins this one in a close contest....

Paw-Paw

Quote from: pantherblue on October 20, 2017, 12:38:58 pm
I have a sneaky suspicion that harryson wins this one in a close contest....

This game was circled on the calendar back in the summer, Harrison was favored by a handful with their returning seniors to potentially wrestle the conference championship away from Alma so we shall see here in a few hours. Going to say Alma victory, but it honestly depend on which Alma squad shows up in the first quarter.

pantherblue

I am torn on this one...  Have inlaws in Alma and family in Harryson...  lol       

Go Postal

The thing is in previous games between these two teams over the years is that Alma HAS been behind in points at halftime but then come back and win the game.  Goblins cannot let there guard down for a minute if they want to win this game.

Deuceswild

My only prediction is a slow first quarter, that seems to plague both teams, the rest will depend a lot on the crowd, so I can assure u, my voice will be gone before the nights out. Those are my predictions. As for PantherBlue, always go with Family, u can get new In-Laws. 😂

Go Postal

Don't forget that this game is broadcasted live on Kool 96.1 local radio with Jim and Marty's Yahtzee Show.

and streamed live on

Alma School District link

https://youtu.be/ZXMJBXwc2bs

GobTV link

https://youtu.be/Yb5fxtX5F0s

AT

I will be doing a drive by drive updates for this game. Go Airedales!

Go Postal

Everyone talks about how good their offense is, but this game will be decided by whom has the better defense.

AT

October 20, 2017, 07:12:48 pm #24 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:49:46 pm by Almatrackster
Alma kicks off to start the game from the Alma 40.

Touchback on the kickoff.

Harrison will start on the Harrison 20

1st and 10 - 2 yard run to Harrison 22
2nd and 8 - 12 yard run to Harrison 34

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to Harrison 37
2nd and 7 - 3 yard run to Harrison 40
3rd and 4 - 5 yard pass to Harrison 45

1st and 10 - 1 yard run to Harrison 46
2nd and 9 - 13 yard run to Alma 41

1st and 10 - Penalty against Harrison puts ball on Alma 43. Loss of down
2nd and 13 - 10 yard run to Alma 33
3rd and 3 - Not sure what happened. Ball on Alma 31
4th and inches - 4 yard run to Alma 27

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to Alma 24
2nd and 7 - 2 yard run to Alma 22
3rd and 5 - 22 yard touchdown pass. PAT Good.

Alma - 0

Harrison - 7

1Q

AT

Harrison kicks off from Harrison 40

Alma pounces on the ball at the Alma 35

Alma ball on the Alma 35

1st and 10 - 0 yard pass to Alma 35
2nd and 10 - 9 yard run to Alma 44
3rd and 1 - 3 yard run to Alma 47

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to the 50
2nd and 7 - 11 yard run to Harrison 39

1st and 10 - -2 yard run to Harrison 41
2nd and 12 - 9 yard pass to Harrison 32
3rd and 3 - Alma with a first down run. Penalty against Harrison after the play. Ball put on Harrison 12

1st and 10 - 12 yard touchdown pass. PAT Good.

Alma - 7

Harrison - 7

1Q

AT

Alma kicks off from the Alma 40

It is a touchback.

Harrison ball on Harrison 20

2nd and 8 - Penalty against Harrison puts ball on Harrison 17
2nd and 13 - 0 yard run to Harrison 17
3rd and 13 - 83 yard touchdown pass. PAT Good.

Alma - 7

Harrison - 14

1:10 1Q

AT

Harrison kicks off. Alma returns the ball to the Alma 41

Alma ball on Alma 41

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to Alma 44
2nd and 7 - Not sure what happened. Video skip. Ball on Alma 40
2nd and 11 - Penalty against Alma puts ball on Alma 34. Loss of down
3rd and 16 - Incomplete pass
4th and 16 - Alma punts. Golbins muff the punt and Alma recovers on Harrison 24

1st and 10 - 2 yard pass to Harrison 22

Alma - 7

Harrison - 14

end of 1Q

AT

Alma ball on Harrison 22

2nd and 8 - 1 yard run to Harrison 21
3rd and 7 - 4 yard run to Harrison 17
Alma takes their first timeout of the half.
4th and 3 - 9 yard pass to Harrison 8

1st and Goal - 5 yard run to Harrison 3
2nd and Goal - I honestly have no idea. Big lag on the video stream. Ball is on the Harrison 5. I think it is Alma's ball. Don't know down yet.
Something and Goal on Harrison 5 - 5 yard touchdown run. PAT Good i guess?

Alma - 14

Harrison - 14

2Q

AT

Alma kicks off from Alma 40.

Harrison has some trouble with the return. Downs it at the Harrison 16

Harrison ball on Harrison 16

1st and 10 - Incomplete pass
2nd and 10 - 3 yard run to Harrison 19
3rd and 7 - 13 yard run to Harrison 32

2nd and 10 - 13 yard run to Harrison 45

1st and 10 - 9 yard run to Alma 46
2nd and 1 - 2 yard run to Alma 44

1st and 10 - 10 yard run to Alma 34

1st and 10 - -1 yard run to Alma 35
2nd and 11 - 1 yard run to Alma 34
3rd and 10 - 14 yard pass to Alma 20

1st and 10 - 20 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

Alma - 14

Harrison - 21

2Q

AT

Touchback on the kickoff.

Alma ball on Alma 20.

Don't know what happened at the beginning. Ball on Alma 28

3rd and 2 - Don't know what happened but Harrison scored!

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

2Q

AT

Alma returns kick to Alma 36

2nd and 10 - Penalty against Harrison puts ball on Harrison 41
2nd and 5 - Incomplete pass
Alma takes a timeout. I think it is their last timeout of the half.
3rd and 5 - Incomplete pass
4th and 5 - Incomplete pass. Turnover on downs.

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

2Q

FoxandHound34

What happened to Alma eat too much at sonic?

AT

Harrison ball on Alma 41

1st and 10 - 14 yard run to Alma 27

1st and 10 - 4 yard run to Alma 23
2nd and 6 - Penalty against Harrison puts ball on Alma 43
3rd and 25 - Incomplete pass
4th and 25 - Harrison punts and goes out of bounds at Alma 34

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

2Q

AT

Alma ball on Alma 34

1st and 10 - -9 yard run to Alma 25

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

Halftime

Go Postal

unofficial stats:

Airedale QB went 7 of 11 for 36 passing yds.  They had 38 yds rushing for a total of 74 offensive yds.

Harrison QB went 4 of 5 for 124 passing yds.  GOBS RB went 1 of 1 for 50 passing yds.  Total 174 passing yds.  They had 165 yds rushing for a total of 339 offensive yds.

Still have a half a game to play.  Alma is known for coming back in the second half.  GOBS cannot let their guard down until the final whistle.

Go Postal

Former Goblin lineman, Colton Messick just won $5000 in the half time 30 yd FG kick. :o

AT

Harrison kicks off from Harrison 40 to start the 2nd half.

Alma ball on Alma 45 after kickoff.

1st and 10 - Penalty against Alma puts ball on Alma 41
1st and 14 - 3 yard run to Alma 44
2nd and 11 - 8 yard pass to Harrison 48
3rd and 3 - 9 yard run to Harrison 39

2nd and 10 - 4 yard run to Harrison 35
3rd and 6 - 1 yard run to Harrison 34
4th and 5 - 12 yard pass to Harrison 22

1st and 10 - 11 yard run to Harrison 11

1st and 10 - -9 yard run to Harrison 20
2nd and 19 - 10 yard run to Harrison 10
3rd and 9 - Incomplete pass
4th and 9 - 8 yard run to Harrison 2. Turnover on downs.

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

3Q

AT

Kind of quick turn around sorry.

Pick up with a 1st and 10 for Harrison on Harrison 42

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to Harrison 45
2nd and 7 - 0 yard run to Harrison 45
3rd and 7 - 5 yard pass to the 50
Harrison takes their first timeout of the half.
4th and 2 - Penalty against Alma puts ball on Alma 45

1st and 10 - -3 yard run to Alma 48
2nd and 13 - 7 yard pass to Alma 41
3rd and 6 - 0 yard run to Alma 41
4th and 6 - Harrison punts and pins Alma on the Alma 1 yard line.

Alma - 14

Harrison - 28

3Q

AT

Alma ball on Alma 1

2nd and 10 - 9 yard run to Alma 10
3rd and 1 - 8 yard run to Alma 18

1st and 10 - 82 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

Alma - 21

Harrison - 28

3Q

AT

Ball is out of bounds.

Harrison ball on Harrison 35

1st and 10 - 2 yard pass to Harrison 37
2nd and 8 - Incomplete pass
3rd and 8 - Incomplete pass
4th and 8 - Harrison punts and it is a touchback

Alma - 21

Harrison - 28

3Q

AT

Alma ball on Alma 20

1st and 10 - 11 yard pass to Alma 31

1st and 10 - 11 yard pass to Alma 42

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to Alma 45

Alma - 21

Harrison - 28

end of 3Q

AT

Alma ball on Alma 45

2nd and 7 - -8 yard run to Alma 37
3rd and 15 - 23 yard pass to Harrison 40

1st and 10 - 40 yard touchdown pass. PAT Good.

Alma - 28

Harrison - 28

10:00 4Q

AT

Touchback.

Harrison ball on Harrison 20.

I don't know what happened.

Harrison ball on Alma 49

1st and 10 - 7 yard run to Alma 42
2nd and 3 - 6 yard run to Alma 36

1st and 10 - 1 yard run to Alma 35
2nd and 9 - 1 yard run to Alma 34
3rd and 8 - Incomplete pass
4th and 8 - Incomplete pass. Turnover on downs.

Alma - 28

Harrison - 28

4Q

AT

Alma ball on Alma 35

1st and 10 - 12 yard run to Alma 47

1st and 10 - 13 yard run to Harrison 40

2nd and 10 - 18 yard run to Harrison 22

1st and 10 - -3 yard run to Harrison 25
2nd and 13 - 6 yard run to Harrison 19
3rd and 7 - 6 yard run to Harrison 13
4th and 1 - 1 yard run to Harrison 12

Alma takes a timeout. I think its their first of the half?

1st and 10 - 4 yard run to Harrison 8
2nd and 6 - 8 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

Alma - 35

Harrison - 28

3:39 4Q

AT

It is a touchback

Harrison ball on Harrison 20

2nd and 8 - 6 yard pass to Harrison 28
3rd and 2 - 12 yard run to Harrison 40

1st and 10 - -2 yard run to Harrison 38
2nd and 12 - Penalty against Alma puts ball on Alma 48

2nd and 10 - Penalty against Harrison puts ball on Harrison 37
2nd and 25 - 15 yard pass to Alma 49
3rd and 11 -Incomplete pass
4th and 11 - 45 yard pass to Alma 4

1st and Goal - 1 yard run to Alma 3
2nd and Goal - 2 yard run to Alma 1
3rd and Goal - 1 yard touchdown run. 2 point conversion no good.

Alma - 35

Harrison - 34

less than 20 seconds 4Q

AT

Alma recovers onside kick!! Kneel on it for the win!!!!!

I AM SO PROUD OF THESE AIREDALES

ALMA - 35

HARRISON - 34

FINAL

What a game. Great job, Gobs.

Go Postal

Fantastic job from the Airedales.  Harrison now knows how Morrilton felt with a 1 point loss.

AT

+1 GP. You are here no matter what. I always respect that.

The Future

Before the game started I texted my friend Alma 35 Harrison 31. So close lol
Sounded like a great game!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas