• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A PLAYOFF BRACKETS ARE OUT

Started by Sportshawk, September 19, 2017, 09:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportshawk

The 4A state football playoff brackets are now on the AAA website.

On the left side of the bracket, the upper bracket includes the winners of the 4A-7 and the 4A-3.  The lower left side includes the 4A-8 champion and the runnersup of the 4A-1, 4A-2 and the 4A-4

On the right side of the bracket, the upper bracket includes the winners of the 4A-1 and the 4A-4. The lower right side includes the champ of the 4A-2 and the runnersup of the  4A-3, 4A-7 and 4A-8

This year, the 4A-7 and the 4A-4 get the first round byes.

LJ06

Warren has an outstanding draw all the way till the semi-finals.

OLDSCHOOL82

LJ, that's if you make the playoffs.

LJ06

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on September 19, 2017, 10:09:36 am
LJ, that's if you make the playoffs.

Oh yeah forgot we are lucky to even field a team this year.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: LJ06 on September 19, 2017, 10:10:56 am

Correct.  Gotta keep ya in your place occasionally.

AirWarren

Quote from: LJ06 on September 19, 2017, 10:10:56 am

That's right.

beach bum

September 19, 2017, 10:23:55 am #6 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:26:56 am by beach bum
Winner of the 2-4A vs 2nd place in the 7-4A is by far the craziest 2nd round matchup. That one could have two teams near the top 5 in the 2nd round against each other. The winner of that game will make it most likely to the semifinals as they have an easier quarterfinal game. That bottom right of the bracket is the easiest by far.

beach bum

September 19, 2017, 10:25:02 am #7 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:27:22 am by beach bum
I hope Pea Ridge gets 2nd in the 1-4A..... It will be Warren vs Pea Ridge much earlier than we saw them play last year.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on September 19, 2017, 10:23:55 am
Winner of the 2-4A vs 2nd place in the 7-4A is by far the craziest 2nd round matchup. That one could have two teams near the top 5 in the 2nd round against each other. The winner of that game will make it most likely to the semifinals as they have an easier quarterfinal game. That bottom right of the bracket is the easiest by far.

For sure. The 2nd team in the 7 COULD be ranked #2 in the state. If Stuttgart gets there, at least it will be a home game for them.

Sportshawk

Quote from: beach bum on September 19, 2017, 10:23:55 am
Who do you think will be the 2-4A runnerup will be, and why do you think that team will be ranked near the top 5.  The second seed from the 2-4A will likely be from either Batesville Southside,  Stuttgart, or Heber Springs.  I don't think the 2nd seed will be in the top 10 come playoff time, as the other teams in the district aren't getting very high marks and that has an effect.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Sportshawk on September 19, 2017, 10:37:45 am
Who do you think will be the 2-4A runnerup will be, and why do you think that team will be ranked near the top 5.  The second seed from the 2-4A will likely be from either Batesville Southside,  Stuttgart, or Heber Springs.  I don't think the 2nd seed will be in the top 10 come playoff time, as the other teams in the district aren't getting very high marks and that has an effect.

2nd round game would be WINNER of 2-4A vs 2nd in 7-4A, not runner up in 2-4A.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: LJ06 on September 19, 2017, 10:08:57 am
Warren has an outstanding draw all the way till the semi-finals.

From what I can tell, it won't be a total cakewalk though.  It's favorable because we'll at least be playing in the friendly confines of Jim Hurley Jr. but after a very winnable first round game (should be a romp and I'm thrilled to see we DON'T HAVE A BYE), this is of course assuming we win the 8-4A and I don't hear many arguments to the contrary. Starting as soon as round 2 though it could get interesting.  Likely looking at the loser of Booneville and Dardanelle coming to town.  Fortunately for Warren this season stopping the run seems to be our defenses strength, so it sets up well but either of those opponents would be a test. Quarterfinals you're looking at hosting one of these three: Pea Ridge, Prarie Grove or Shiloh (whoever finishes 2nd in 1-4A) so again, no cakewalk.

I agree the first three rounds are winnable games for Warren, but I'd hesitate to say "outstanding draw", if nothing else, we'll still have to face some tradition rich programs early on.  Once we hit the semis, unless there's a pretty massive upset the Jacks are likely traveling to Arkadelphia, Robinson, Ashdown or even Nashville (if the Scrappers can find a defense in conference play).  So any of those match-ups would be well worth the price of admission. 

Either way, I do feel that it sets up better for Warren this season than some of their past play-off draws, last year particularly where we had to run the gauntlet just to get to the finals.  Should be fun!  First things first though, we have to find a consistent offense before we even consider play-off runs.  Our defense will only carry us so far, we need that explosive, big-play offense to return because at some point, we're going to need it. 

-Kyle

LJ06

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on September 19, 2017, 04:27:37 pm
From what I can tell, it won't be a total cakewalk though.  It's favorable because we'll at least be playing in the friendly confines of Jim Hurley Jr. but after a very winnable first round game (should be a romp and I'm thrilled to see we DON'T HAVE A BYE), this is of course assuming we win the 8-4A and I don't hear many arguments to the contrary. Starting as soon as round 2 though it could get interesting.  Likely looking at the loser of Booneville and Dardanelle coming to town.  Fortunately for Warren this season stopping the run seems to be our defenses strength, so it sets up well but either of those opponents would be a test. Quarterfinals you're looking at hosting one of these three: Pea Ridge, Prarie Grove or Shiloh (whoever finishes 2nd in 1-4A) so again, no cakewalk.

I agree the first three rounds are winnable games for Warren, but I'd hesitate to say "outstanding draw", if nothing else, we'll still have to face some tradition rich programs early on.  Once we hit the semis, unless there's a pretty massive upset the Jacks are likely traveling to Arkadelphia, Robinson, Ashdown or even Nashville (if the Scrappers can find a defense in conference play).  So any of those match-ups would be well worth the price of admission. 

Either way, I do feel that it sets up better for Warren this season than some of their past play-off draws, last year particularly where we had to run the gauntlet just to get to the finals.  Should be fun!  First things first though, we have to find a consistent offense before we even consider play-off runs.  Our defense will only carry us so far, we need that explosive, big-play offense to return because at some point, we're going to need it. 

-Kyle

Oh I just meant we avoid a 7-4a matchup in the 2nd or 3rd round per the usual.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: LJ06 on September 19, 2017, 04:30:49 pm
Oh I just meant we avoid a 7-4a matchup in the 2nd or 3rd round per the usual.

Touche, and you're 100% right about that.  Finally we do catch that good fortune.  Whoever draws up these brackets really doesn't care about who goes where, that's been very apparent.  Can't tell you how many years the state title game has effectively been played in the Quarters or Semis.  I can think of a few years with Warren it's been that way (2002, 2014 and 2016 all come to mind).

LJ06

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on September 19, 2017, 04:34:58 pm
Touche, and you're 100% right about that.  Finally we do catch that good fortune.  Whoever draws up these brackets really doesn't care about who goes where, that's been very apparent.  Can't tell you how many years the state title game has effectively been played in the Quarters or Semis.  I can think of a few years with Warren it's been that way (2002, 2014 and 2016 all come to mind).

Your right. Somebody on here made the arguement the other day about just that. Usually, the bracket sets up where the final is a very strong team against a somewhat weaker one. Thus, why we see a lot of lopsided scores in the finals when there shouldn't be.

~WPS~

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on September 19, 2017, 04:34:58 pm
2007, 2015

richboy

September 19, 2017, 06:00:31 pm #17 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:02:04 pm by richboy
The winner of the 7-4 Looks to have the easiest path to the simis

Sportshawk

September 19, 2017, 08:37:44 pm #18 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:19:24 pm by Sportshawk
What I have been told was that the state has an algorithm that moves the pieces around each season until six years goes by and they start over.  The presumption, at least mathematically, is that each district is equal.  We all know that is not true which leads to some imbalances in the brackets.  I would support the AAA using Maxpreps to seed the top ranked 32 teams like a regular tournament.  That would be fair, and since the AAA already uses MaxPreps, why not.  Eliminates the two byes which no one wants.  Of course, districts like the 7-4A would get a bunch of invites (at this moment the whole 7-4A district would get in)  and some others might not get but three, but at least it would be fair and impartial.

bigchief72455

It would put more legitimate teams in the playoffs. There are some 4 and 5 seed teams some years that are really good and then there are others that were lucky to not be as bad as the 2 teams they beat out.

x14113

Wow, it looks like the 4A-4 will really need to sing for turkeys this season.

--It's bad enough that the top seed will get a bye, since the top seed has only won once following said bye. But their potential R2 opponent could be Ashdown, Nashville, Robinson, or Mena, all of them tough outs.

--The second and third seeds have an excellent chance to win their R1 games. R2, however, will likely send them to Arkadoo and Warren, respectively.

--Seeds 4 and 5 get sent north to the two best teams in the 4A-1. Considering the apparent dropoff after the 4's top three...

FootBallar21

Quote from: x14113 on September 25, 2017, 06:05:55 pm
Wow, it looks like the 4A-4 will really need to sing for turkeys this season.

--It's bad enough that the top seed will get a bye, since the top seed has only won once following said bye. But their potential R2 opponent could be Ashdown, Nashville, Robinson, or Mena, all of them tough outs.

--The second and third seeds have an excellent chance to win their R1 games. R2, however, will likely send them to Arkadoo and Warren, respectively.

--Seeds 4 and 5 get sent north to the two best teams in the 4A-1. Considering the apparent dropoff after the 4's top three...

Yeah thats what I was just looking at looks like IMO one of the top 5 teams in 4A,  either Ashdown , Arkadelphia, or Robinson will be going to the 4-4A winner in round 2.   

Also the winner of 3-4A doesn't have a good draw either as they will play,  Nashville, Malvern, Mena , or even Bauxite in round 1 and that has a great chance for a big upset!   

bulldoghistorian

Just an early prediction on how this could all play out. Still a long way to go, I know.
W7 Robinson
Bye
3rd4 Pottsville
4th2 Stuttgart.
W3 Gosnell
5th7 Malvern
3rd1 Shiloh
3rd2 Riverview
W8 Warren
5th3 Jonesboro Westside
2nd4 Dardanelle
5th8 Star City
2nd1 Pea Ridge
4th4 Ozark
2nd2 HWH
4th1 Gravette
W4 Booneville
Bye
3rd7 Nashville
4th8 Monticello
W1 Prairie Grove
5th4 Dover
3rd3 Pocahontas
3rd8 Hamburg
W2 Southside Batesville
5th1 Huntsville
2nd7 Arkadelphia
5th2 Heber
2nd3 Trumann
4th7 Ashdown
2nd8 Dumas
4th3 Highland

Sportshawk

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on October 03, 2017, 02:03:33 pm
Just an early prediction on how this could all play out. Still a long way to go, I know.
W7 Robinson
Bye
3rd4 Pottsville
4th2 Stuttgart.
W3 Gosnell
5th7 Malvern
3rd1 Shiloh
3rd2 Riverview
W8 Warren
5th3 Jonesboro Westside
2nd4 Dardanelle
5th8 Star City
2nd1 Pea Ridge
4th4 Ozark
2nd2 HWH
4th1 Gravette
W4 Booneville
Bye
3rd7 Nashville
4th8 Monticello
W1 Prairie Grove
5th4 Dover
3rd3 Pocahontas
3rd8 Hamburg
W2 Southside Batesville
5th1 Huntsville
2nd7 Arkadelphia
5th2 Heber
2nd3 Trumann
4th7 Ashdown
2nd8 Dumas
4th3 Highland
Pretty good assessment.  I don't think Huntsville will be in the mix as I think Gentry gets the 5th in the 1-4A.

Lizard47

I think Dardy mans up next week and takes the 4A-4.

cuckoobird

Well you can at least swap Stuttgart and riverview now

bulldoghistorian

W7 Robinson
Bye
3rd4 Pottsville
4th2 Helena
W3 Gosnell
5th7 Malvern
3rd1 Shiloh
3rd2 Riverview
W8 Warren
5th3 Highland
2nd4 Dardanelle
5th8 Star City
2nd1 Prairie Grove
4th4 Ozark
2nd2 Stuttgart
4th1 Gravette
W4 Booneville
Bye
3rd7 Nashville
4th8 Monticello
W1 Pea Ridge
5th4 Dover
3rd3 Pocahontas
3rd8 Hamburg
W2 Southside Batesville
5th1 Gentry
2nd7 Arkadelphia
5th2 Heber
2nd3 Trumann
4th7 Ashdown
2nd8 Dumas
4th3 Jonesboro Westside.

x14113

bulldoghistorian

Bearcatdad

Quote from: Lizard47 on October 13, 2017, 10:22:07 pm
I think Dardy mans up next week and takes the 4A-4.

I can remember telling you that you would be lucky if you beat Ozark and that you would end up a 3 seed.   Guess the fat lady is singing now

Lizard47

Quote from: Bearcatdad on October 27, 2017, 11:39:29 pm
I can remember telling you that you would be lucky if you beat Ozark and that you would end up a 3 seed.   Guess the fat lady is singing now

Troll all you want, you got two cupcakes in a row and then a bye, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sports Guru

Winner of Crossett vs Star City claims the 5th seed

PrivateLesson

Who will Waldron play since they defeated Dover?   I get confused a little by brackets. 

Sports Guru

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 28, 2017, 09:35:40 am
Who will Waldron play since they defeated Dover?   I get confused a little by brackets.
Good job to Waldron for making it in tho

BearcatPride96

Quote from: Lizard47 on October 28, 2017, 12:29:50 am
Troll all you want, you got two cupcakes in a row and then a bye, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You're the troll. Being good the last 3 years does not a program make. Win some state titles, become a long term dominant program and then we can have a discussion. Nobody's impressed, sport.

Lizard47

Quote from: BearcatPride96 on October 28, 2017, 08:20:13 pm
You're the troll. Being good the last 3 years does not a program make. Win some state titles, become a long term dominant program and then we can have a discussion. Nobody's impressed, sport.

Oh like winning a state title makes conference titles insignificant? I saw y'all a week ago all over your field, hundreds of you jumping up and down and cheering over a one point win. Everybody takes what they have had that others don't and makes like it makes them eternally better but it doesn't. I conceded last week and gave y'all respect. Then a week later we stumbled again against someone else and y'all repay my respect with degrading comments and when I react you pull the old state title trump card? This is why everyone is ugly, cause making nice only makes them a target.

x14113

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 28, 2017, 09:35:40 am

Pea Ridge, Riverview, HWH, or Lonoke. Depends on how they fare at Dardy.

BearcatPride96

Quote from: Lizard47 on October 28, 2017, 10:15:53 pm
Oh like winning a state title makes conference titles insignificant? I saw y'all a week ago all over your field, hundreds of you jumping up and down and cheering over a one point win. Everybody takes what they have had that others don't and makes like it makes them eternally better but it doesn't. I conceded last week and gave y'all respect. Then a week later we stumbled again against someone else and y'all repay my respect with degrading comments and when I react you pull the old state title trump card? This is why everyone is ugly, cause making nice only makes them a target.

State titles, conference titles, deep playoff runs and overall number of program wins is how it goes. Let's be clear, and you know this. There's a Grand Canyon of difference between both programs. Hate it all you want, but you know it's true.

Burks

Question? How did we assume Malvern will be the 5th seed from the 7-4A? Is F-Lake and Bauxite eliminated? I don't expect all three to win their final game, so where is all three in the point system?

ABC™

If all 3 lose, Malvern and FL would have the most points. Malvern won head to head so Malvern would be the 5 seed.

Burks

Sports Guru

2017 is locked and ready to go!

W 7 Robinson
BYE

3rd 4 Dardanelle
4th 2 Riverview

W 3 Gosnell
5th 7 Malvern

3rd 1 Gravette
3rd 2 Heber Springs

W 8 Warren