• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarksville Offense

Started by RiverRunner02, August 18, 2017, 12:43:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRunner02

Hasn't too much news on this. Clarksville is revamping their offense. Gonna be watching them a lot since I'm attending the U of Ozarks. Any thoughts on the new scheme we'll be seeing?

http://www.couriernews.com/view/mobile_full_story/27407313/article-Buckner-s-new--old-offense?

http://www.couriernews.com/view/mobile_full_story/27440705/article-Buckner-s-single-wing-sees-first-action?

Go Postal

Maynard G Krebs

This is what you do when you don't have a Gary Brashears😉

RZback

Getting Darlington from Apopka to come teach the offense is smart.  If Clarksville can do anything close to what Apopka does, its going to give folks fits.  But, as they say it comes down to talent.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I texted Coach Buckner over the summer, and he told me he was running this.  I hope he has some success, and I hope to see some game film.  I know there are some 2A teams that run it, but not a lot of higher level.  Robinson had a package of it a few years ago that was tough to stop.  Dave Bliss was running it at Ozark, MO when we played them when I was at Harrison.  He was mixing it with the spread,  and we wanted him to come out in spread because we weren't going to stop the single wing.  Everyone says "the blocking back will take you to the play,"  but that doesn't matter when you're getting whipped off the ball and you are outnumbered at the point of attack!

RiverRunner02

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on August 18, 2017, 09:01:07 pm
I texted Coach Buckner over the summer, and he told me he was running this.  I hope he has some success, and I hope to see some game film.  I know there are some 2A teams that run it, but not a lot of higher level.  Robinson had a package of it a few years ago that was tough to stop.  Dave Bliss was running it at Ozark, MO when we played them when I was at Harrison.  He was mixing it with the spread,  and we wanted him to come out in spread because we weren't going to stop the single wing.  Everyone says "the blocking back will take you to the play,"  but that doesn't matter when you're getting whipped off the ball and you are outnumbered at the point of attack!
This offense is basically a form of the wildcat, I think it comes down to physicality. If the Clarksville big men aren't physical then the offense can't work. The players also have to buy in to the system. If that happens then watchout for the Panther offense.

RZback

Goes back to what I said about talent, if you have it, like any offense it works.  It you don't have talent, like any offense, it doesn't.  I've seen Apopka, they are impressive.  One reason offenses such as single wing work when mixed into some other scheme, such as the spread, is the other teams defense must concentrate on the offense it expects to see the most and therefore the single wing doesn't get looked at in practice with enough reps. 

Chief_Osceola™

Coach Buckner will put his guys in the best position to have success.  He's not a one-offense-fits-all type of coach.  He will get Clarksville back to winning.  I think his sophomore class is pretty talented.

RZback

So are you suggesting he will change offenses every season?  That's never a good idea.  Better to have an offensive philosophy that allows you to tweak your scheme according to talent rather than ditch an offense and make a wholesale change every time your talent changes a little.   

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: RZback on August 21, 2017, 11:35:25 am
So are you suggesting he will change offenses every season?  That's never a good idea.  Better to have an offensive philosophy that allows you to tweak your scheme according to talent rather than ditch an offense and make a wholesale change every time your talent changes a little.   

No, I'm saying he'll tweak his offense to fit his personnel.  I'm sure the basic blocking schemes and positioning will have the same nomenclature, but the base offense could be run from different sets.  And depending on personnel, the run/pass percentages would change.

DuckyDon

Problem with an offense like this...is you better not fall behind...you do and you have 0 chance of pulling it out!!!

gameoflife

Thus the need for a balance in offense.

StevenGlen

Greetings, I'll be taking over the radio play by play for the Panthers this season, on KXIO 106.9 in Clarksville.  I've seen both the Red and White game and the Jamboree in Atkins and it will be an interesting year of football for the Panthers.  Here are a couple of things to consider about the single wing:  First it is not an offense teams see often and thus will make it hard to prepare to stop.  If defenses do not keep gap discipline it can be a long night.  The ball control nature of the attack can also shorten up a game and keep other teams with high power offenses off the field.  Secondly there are some wrinkles in this version of the old offense that can be used so that the wing doesn't always lead to the ball carrier.  Anyway, this will be a fun season for me, and the Panthers. 
Tonight's game at Lamar will feature one offense that runs the single wing with no true QB and another offense that runs the double wing.  My game may be done by 9:00 tonight. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas