• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood vs Alma Swan Song in 2017

Started by Brian G, August 13, 2017, 08:03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Leland Barclay reports that it's official that Alma vs Greenwood will not play each other in 2018 or 2019.

I'm sure someone will be able to fill us in on the length and series historical data.

AT

Oh wow. Heard nothing of this sort.

I can understand it. It sucks, but both teams may be better served playing someone else at this point in time.

Hope to hear more details about this, but I doubt we do.

Brian G

Heard it was since 1975 w/o a miss.

I figure the trickle down from the restructure is part of the issue.

RD™

August 13, 2017, 09:34:46 pm #3 Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:37:53 pm by RD™
Quote from: B.G. on August 13, 2017, 08:03:16 pm
Leland Barclay reports that it's official that Alma vs Greenwood will not play each other in 2018 or 2019.

I'm sure someone will be able to fill us in on the length and series historical data.

George Bush (jr) was President last time Alma beat Greenwood.(2004) and that game was probably one of the best of the entire Rivalry. 17-14 slug fest.

Nothing will ever beat the 1996 conference championship game with the kick heard around the world. From Shady Grady. There was 10K people at that game. Easy.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: B.G. on August 13, 2017, 09:05:42 pm
Heard it was since 1975 w/o a miss.

I figure the trickle down from the restructure is part of the issue.
The Greenwood OOC schedule is currently Alma, Northside and Southside.  I would guess that Greenwood is under a lot of pressure to keep NS and SS on the schedule.  And I would also guess that Greenwood would like to add a marquee non-con game.  An ESPNU kind of deal.  So Alma is the odd man out.

BarclayAlmanac

2016Greenwood35
-
2015Greenwood56
-
2014Greenwood35
-
2013Greenwood47
-
2012Greenwood35-6
2011Greenwood
2010Greenwood
-
2009Greenwood25-21
2008Greenwood40-36
2007Greenwood42-15
2006Greenwood28-21
2005Greenwood31-23
2004Alma17-14
2003Greenwood3-0
2002Alma27-20
2001Alma26-7
2000Greenwood24-21
1999Alma28-7
1998Alma29-28
1997Greenwood25-15
1997Greenwood21-13
1996Greenwood21-20
1996Greenwood24-21
1995Alma34-14
1994Alma21-0
1993Alma7-0
1992Alma32-6
1991Greenwood24-17
1990Alma17-0
1989Greenwood16-13
1988Greenwood21-20
1987Alma14-12
1986Alma21-10
1985Alma33-12
1984Alma6-0
1983Alma23-7
1982Greenwood15-7
1981Alma24-0
1980Alma7-0
1979Alma40-0
1978Greenwood6-0
1977Alma25-8
1976Greenwood13-7
1975Alma7-6

Pr8hd

Don't think this is a case of GW wanting out. It is a big gate really for both schools. I think this is a case of if you can no longer beat them, just don't play them. The series has not really been competitive for some time now. So, perhaps after CRJ leaves the Dales will come calling again.

I had heard this had been in the works for some time.

AHS06

Quote from: Pr8hd on August 15, 2017, 11:00:06 am
Don't think this is a case of GW wanting out. It is a big gate really for both schools. I think this is a case of if you can no longer beat them, just don't play them. The series has not really been competitive for some time now. So, perhaps after CRJ leaves the Dales will come calling again.

I had heard this had been in the works for some time.
Hopefully the real reason will surface.  I honestly think if that is the case, Alma should be ashamed.

rona

Pr8hd probably hit on some of the thinking, but looking at the larger picture and not having a clue as to the Alma reasoning it is
now History - everyone support the Players and enjoy the Season!8

Pr8hd

Well, it's been in the rumor mill for several years. It can't be because GW is a 6A team or anything like GW is too big now. I am sure they will keep VB on their schedule who is 7A but the difference is they can beat them. It may be because they can't handle two rivalry type games for non-con...GW has had 2-3 more or less with addition of Southside and Northside but they don't have history that GW and Alma had. Alma will graduate a whole generation of kids potentially who had no idea what it was like to beat GW in varsity football. So they better make this last shot count.

rona

AHS06

Quote from: Pr8hd on August 15, 2017, 02:03:40 pm
Well, it's been in the rumor mill for several years. It can't be because GW is a 6A team or anything like GW is too big now. I am sure they will keep VB on their schedule who is 7A but the difference is they can beat them. It may be because they can't handle two rivalry type games for non-con...GW has had 2-3 more or less with addition of Southside and Northside but they don't have history that GW and Alma had. Alma will graduate a whole generation of kids potentially who had no idea what it was like to beat GW in varsity football. So they better make this last shot count.
You do make a very valid point.  Here in Texarkana, Texas High had beat us many times.  It was continuously rumored that the game would possibly skip a cycle with reasons of Texas has grew too big, we lost too many games, etc.  I personally did not think it would end because of the gate (10K+) for both schools.  We did graduate a generation with no idea of beating Texas or even seen that Battle Axe trophy.  However, we beat them the next year and the game became more interesting.   

Pr8hd

There was a period there were Alma dominated GW back when they had Vines and GW had a carousel of coaches. The series changed when GW got Peacock and became more competitive.
There is no question though in 2004 it took a huge turn when GW got Jones suddenly GW has become the one with the long tenured highly successful coach getting the most of a lesser talent pool. On the other hand, it is Alma with the carousel to some degree. Alma is too good and rich in tradition to walk away from a challenge, but it appears to be the case. GW did not or could not walk away from the series when Alma dominated them and really feel like Alma should not as well. I guess they don't see things that way or there is something else to it going unspoken. I am not sure who either team can get that will be as big of a gate but I am sure both can find someone that is more competitive of a series since this one has gotten so one-sided. I don't see the outcome of this one being much different than the last 12 years.

catfish1

millons will be lost ,both schools need $$$$$ for new toys Sad Deal!!!!!!

P.F.G.

I know Alma gets a huge gate from VB and GW. Honestly not sure who wanted out or if both wanted it in different weeks and it could not be worked out but I hate to see this one go. GW has obviously had our number for what appears to be 13 years now. Some of the games have been competitive while several have been absolute beat downs. I know a lot of people in the state would love to see a GW vs PA matchup. Interested in who each team picks up.

bulldogger15

1. "Alma is too good and rich in tradition to walk away from a challenge, but it appears to be the case." APPEARS?

2. "GW did not or could not walk away from the series when Alma dominated them and really feel like Alma should not as well."  WALK?

Alma IS in the process of RUNNING away from this long standing match-up. The Airedales are either punch drunk or numb from the year-in year-out beat downs at the hands of Ricky Don Jones and the Greenwood Bulldogs.

Alma should learn a big lesson about sore feet from Coach Jones. "My feet are NEVER sore from running, but they ALWAYS hurt pretty darn bad from kicking the crap out out of Alma all the time" - Ricky Don Jones

GO BULLDOGS!!!

AT

Pretty good comeback. I thought you'd be done after last year where you sort of fizzled out towards the end, bulldogger.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Almatrackster on August 24, 2017, 07:35:03 pm
Pretty good comeback. I thought you'd be done after last year where you sort of fizzled out towards the end, bulldogger.
Thanks! No way could I hang it up Almatrackster. I will admit that fighting with people that have two digit IQ's did get very tiring late last year.

I'm fully charged up and back from vacation!

Let's do this.....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Almatrackster on August 24, 2017, 07:35:03 pm

Apparently, he channels 9 lives....lol!

TTofGreenwood

I assure you, Greenwood did not walk away from this game. Carry on, my people.

bulldogger15

Quote from: B.G. on August 13, 2017, 08:03:16 pm

If it was "reported" by Leland Barclay it is AT LEAST 50% incorrect and 100% Alma biased. Isn't Leland Barclay the "River Valley Genius" who "reported" last year that Jeff Weaver was the Greenwood OC and Donnie Sandifer was our QB? I know I'm at least 50% right about that, right? heck, the Jenny Lind Constable has better facts than Barclay, no kidding. SAD.

I didn't see it in the Press-Argus Courier yet about Greenwood and Alma not playing so it MUST not be true. I'm sure the headlines after the Greenwood-Alma football game this year will read close to this - "Greenwood narrowly escapes Alma 46 to 7" or "Bulldogs win a close one vs Airdales 51 to 14". Looking like MORE fake news to me.

Thanks for the great Greenwood Bulldogs vs. Alma Airedales coverage over the years Leland! Great job! What will you do with all your free time for the next two years Mr. Barclay since your old bread and butter rivalry appears to be coming to an end?

I don't make jokes on my own anymore. I just read the Times Record sports section and report THEIR "facts". - Will Rogers with a twist!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PrivateLesson

Goodness, What's your deal?    Did somebody steal Lois Lane from you?

Not that I really care but it has been mentioned for the last couple of years, even on here, that Greenwood and Alma might drop the rivalry.     

And I always thought Barclay was accused of being biased towards Greenwood?   Isn't it Taylor that lives and reports for Alma?    At least, both schools receive coverage.  They seem to try to write up about the Athletes.   

Isn't that a bright side, bulldogger?   

I don't know about all the fake news stuff.  I was always told to believe 50% of what you hear, anyways.   Smile, bulldogger.....It's football week!  :D

Pr8hd

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on August 29, 2017, 06:19:05 pm
I assure you, Greenwood did not walk away from this game. Carry on, my people.

This is a bit like Vader with his revelation to Skywalker that he is his father and then goes on to say  "search yourself you know it to be true'"....GW did not back away from this rivalry. Alma's tired of GW being their daddy on the football field. So, they jumped down the air duct to escape the reality of their yearly beat down.  ;)

CDL has not been able to get it done against the Bulldogs any better than CTD did in his tenure, actually Dilbeck really had some closer games/close calls against CRJ thus far to date. Based upon last nights "powderpuff"  football contest in Crawford County, don't see that changing any for the last supposed tiff between the Dales and the Dawgs.  ;D

blueandwhite

So Alma is not going to play Van Buren anymore too? Whose idea was that?

Pr8hd

Quote from: blueandwhite on August 30, 2017, 03:45:56 pm

No, nothing has been announced that they won't play them.

VB is of course larger in 7A and since the Dales can beat them they get to stay on their schedule. GW being smaller in 6A (plus closer to enrollment to Alma ) and they can't beat them so they gotta go is the fill in the numbers scheme they have painted.

AT

To be fair, although I'm in the camp of loving Coach Dilbeck and thinking he just had a bad situation, Coach Dilbeck had more talent...Matt Vinson, Isaac McCoy, Gage Jensen while you could argue that Greenwood had the least amount of talent they've had in the RJ era. Wouldn't you agree, Pr8?

I was in high school then so I vividly remember who was on those Alma and Greenwood teams and I actually thought we had more talent than Greenwood two of those years.

Pr8hd

August 30, 2017, 06:50:13 pm #26 Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:52:23 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Almatrackster on August 30, 2017, 04:59:29 pm
To be fair, although I'm in the camp of loving Coach Dilbeck and thinking he just had a bad situation, Coach Dilbeck had more talent...Matt Vinson, Isaac McCoy, Gage Jensen while you could argue that Greenwood had the least amount of talent they've had in the RJ era. Wouldn't you agree, Pr8?

I was in high school then so I vividly remember who was on those Alma and Greenwood teams and I actually thought we had more talent than Greenwood two of those years.

+1 Trackster,  you are likely right on several accounts. Vinson and Alma should have won over at GW I guess it would have been his Sr year. Great game and he had a great performance.The other guys you made mention of were good as well. Vinson stood out though. I spoke to his grandfather a few years back specifically about that game. Super good guy and very proud of Matt, as he should be.

I honestly hate to see the Dales let this thing go, so disappointed in CDL as I really expected him to be the one to return you all to prominence, but he hasn't lived to that billing yet IMO. Perhaps, he still will and you all can claim a 5A title..I would say as far as talent goes the 2008-2009 were more lean years for GW, but they weren't devoid of playmakers just not as dominant in other years you still had a few big playmakers just not the QB as they have been lucky to have in many years.  Really the QB position is where GW has lived and died that and the coaching under Jones has been the main difference.

I honestly feel like if Alma could get the monkey off their back with a win, that might spur things back up. Now, we likely do not know and may not ever know for some time if that win will come. I enjoy going to Alma watching the Bulldogs play and seeing Alma come to GW. It's a great crowd with an atmosphere that is special. The bands perform together and although bitter rivals, there is something special to it. I've seen plenty of GW wins now, but I know the pain of the losses as well. As a fan, it is disappointing, but all good things come to an end even in rivalries. As a father of one more son to get thru GW,  I hate it that he likely will not get the chance to experience that rivalry. 

rona

Quote from: Pr8hd on August 30, 2017, 06:50:13 pm
+1 Trackster,  you are likely right on several accounts. Vinson and Alma should have won over at GW I guess it would have been his Sr year. Great game and he had a great performance.The other guys you made mention of were good as well. Vinson stood out though. I spoke to his grandfather a few years back specifically about that game. Super good guy and very proud of Matt, as he should be.

I honestly hate to see the Dales let this thing go, so disappointed in CDL as I really expected him to be the one to return you all to prominence, but he hasn't lived to that billing yet IMO. Perhaps, he still will and you all can claim a 5A title..I would say as far as talent goes the 2008-2009 were more lean years for GW, but they weren't devoid of playmakers just not as dominant in other years you still had a few big playmakers just not the QB as they have been lucky to have in many years.  Really the QB position is where GW has lived and died that and the coaching under Jones has been the main difference.

I honestly feel like if Alma could get the monkey off their back with a win, that might spur things back up. Now, we likely do not know and may not ever know for some time if that win will come. I enjoy going to Alma watching the Bulldogs play and seeing Alma come to GW. It's a great crowd with an atmosphere that is special. The bands perform together and although bitter rivals, there is something special to it. I've seen plenty of GW wins now, but I know the pain of the losses as well. As a fan, it is disappointing, but all good things come to an end even in rivalries. As a father of one more son to get thru GW,  I hate it that he likely will not get the chance to experience that rivalry.

+1 Absolutely Great Thoughts - Appreciate You Sharing,!

bulldogger15

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 30, 2017, 09:40:03 am
Goodness, What's your deal?    Did somebody steal Lois Lane from you?

Not that I really care but it has been mentioned for the last couple of years, even on here, that Greenwood and Alma might drop the rivalry.     

And I always thought Barclay was accused of being biased towards Greenwood?   Isn't it Taylor that lives and reports for Alma?    At least, both schools receive coverage.  They seem to try to write up about the Athletes.   

Isn't that a bright side, bulldogger?   

I don't know about all the fake news stuff.  I was always told to believe 50% of what you hear, anyways.   Smile, bulldogger.....It's football week!  :D
Thanks for reminding me about football week Privates Lesson, greatly appreciated.

Kevin Taylor, Leland Barclay, Kevin Barclay, Leland Taylor, pick one. It really doesn't matter which combo you go with because they all equal sub-par sports coverage. Is Tom Landry still coaching the Cowboys???

Give me a break, you honestly believe 50% of what you hear? Are you from Alma Privates? Are you a fake news denier Privates? And I agree, Barclay is bad, but Kevin Taylor is the worst Airedale loving, flip-flopping, crawdaddying reporter in the whole River Valley.

My bright side has been smiling for months Privates, months.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: bulldogger15 on August 30, 2017, 11:19:44 pm
Thanks for reminding me about football week Privates Lesson, greatly appreciated.

You're Welcome!!  :)

. Is Tom Landry still coaching the Cowboys???

Negative, ghost rider

My bright side has been smiling for months Privates, months.

If you say so.

It should be a good game Friday night!   Love when Fearless is buzzing with area scores and friendly banter.   

bulldogger15

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 31, 2017, 10:47:27 am

You're Welcome!!  :)

Negative, ghost rider

If you say so.

It should be a good game Friday night!   Love when Fearless is buzzing with area scores and friendly banter.
Agreed. Can't wait for the Pine Bluff contingent to get rolling. They are an irritable bunch on a good day.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

High Voltage

This is certainly sad news. When I first heard this I thought it wasn't true, but lo and behold it is. The reason Alma is dropping Greenwood is pretty easy to figure out. This was the head coaches decision, and I am not talking about the GW head coach. Coach "L" has always enjoyed being the big fish in a little pond.

P.F.G.

Quote from: blueandwhite on August 30, 2017, 03:45:56 pm

Alma will always play VB. The schools are separated by 10 miles. This may come as a shock to you but a majority of Alma fans still see VB as our biggest rival. Especially the older fans. Even when vines was there he had a little extra motivation when played van buren. We work with people from van buren, go to church with them. It's been around a whole lot longer. I wish Alma and greenwood still played and hopefully they bring it back eventually. GW and southside seem to be a better fit.

rona

Location wise, Gwd and SS are a better fit. Size wise Alma and Greenwood are virtually the same size, while SS is nearly twice the size of both.  It seems that Alma has opted to take the easy way out by dropping Greenwood. And by the way, I don't blame them one bit.

High Voltage

Well, it is Saturday morning and what used to be a hyped up game with trash talking gone wild has come down to the FACT that GW is much better and has been for years now. RD may have said it best in another thread, Alma should forfeit. Think about it, they don't have the chance to sustain injuries before conference begins. They are not gonna find anything new about themselves. They will get to let their clock run the second half, so it will get a workout. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happens, Alma calls Thursday and says, Hey guys, not playing, good game, see ya when Rick leaves and Harv is back!

Bring back Vines, that guy had guts! He would have never opted out of this game. He would have stood and fought until the last man standing. Myself, and I know 99% of all GW fans have the utmost respect for Coach Vines. A true warrior!

Sad day for Alma! :o

The Future

41 14 Greenwood.
Greenwood shuts out their opponent in the first half for the third straight week. Have to bring out the record books to see when that happened last.

bulldogger15

Quote from: rona on September 08, 2017, 03:04:07 pm
Location wise, Gwd and SS are a better fit. Size wise Alma and Greenwood are virtually the same size, while SS is nearly twice the size of both.  It seems that Alma has opted to take the easy way out by dropping Greenwood. And by the way, I don't blame them one bit.
"Once you learn to quit it becomes a habit." - Vince Lombardi

Unforunately, Alma's downward football spiral doesn't start or end with the Greenwood Bulldogs. I do believe that Alma's current action regarding the tradition of playing Greenwood warrants a new name for the team and mascot. The Alma Airedales shall hence forth be named the "CRAWFORD COUNTY COWARDS".

The Greenwood Bulldogs and #13 deliver win #13 in a row and a final crushing blow to end the series. Greenwood can name the score, Rick Jones calls the Bulldogs off the Cowards at 56-0. It'll be nice to hang half a hundred on the Airedales.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

High Voltage

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 09, 2017, 09:28:49 am
"Once you learn to quit it becomes a habit." - Vince Lombardi

Unforunately, Alma's downward football spiral doesn't start or end with the Greenwood Bulldogs. I do believe that Alma's current action regarding the tradition of playing Greenwood warrants a new name for the team and mascot. The Alma Airedales shall hence forth be named the "CRAWFORD COUNTY COWARDS".

The Greenwood Bulldogs and #13 deliver win #13 in a row and a final crushing blow to end the series. Greenwood can name the score, Rick Jones calls the Bulldogs off the Cowards at 56-0. It'll be nice to hang half a hundred on the Airedales.

GO BULLDOGS!!!
Dear Lord, I'm must be going senile because this is the second time in a 24 hour span that I agree with this guy.

Brian G

You'd hope for a close and entertaining game but it seems unlikely.

RD™

Pr8hd

September 09, 2017, 01:35:05 pm #40 Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:37:07 pm by Pr8hd
If I had the time to mess with making a meme today, I would create a Game of Thrones one  maybe with Jon Snow on it with the phrase "Greenwood is coming!" ....Alma better have a dragon or two  up their sleeves to slow down the Bulldogs and maybe wet the field for old time sakes. Since 2013 Alma barely scores about 1 TD a game.Alma hasn't scored more than 3 TD's in a game since 2011 against GW.....even if they exploded for 3 in this , that is likely not near enough.

Look for GW to make this one personal.....GW makes it 13 in a row in the curtain call at Alma. CDL gets his wish and runs away like "Brave" Sir Robin of Monty Python and the Holy Grail fame.

RD™

Best part of that movie is the Knights that say Ni!

"Bring me a shruberry"

bulldogger15

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 09, 2017, 01:35:05 pm
If I had the time to mess with making a meme today, I would create a Game of Thrones one  maybe with Jon Snow on it with the phrase "Greenwood is coming!" ....Alma better have a dragon or two  up their sleeves to slow down the Bulldogs and maybe wet the field for old time sakes. Since 2013 Alma barely scores about 1 TD a game.Alma hasn't scored more than 3 TD's in a game since 2011 against GW.....even if they exploded for 3 in this , that is likely not near enough.

Look for GW to make this one personal.....GW makes it 13 in a row in the curtain call at Alma. CDL gets his wish and runs away like "Brave" Sir Robin of Monty Python and the Holy Grail fame.

+1 Atta boy Pr8hd.

catfish1

bulldogger15

Almahasbeen

Just for the sake of the Rivalry, I'd like to see a good ole sloberknocker 7-6 in whoever's favor, just think it'd be a fun way to end the rivalry or, 55-53 that'd also be fun..... BUT on the serious side I predict 49-3

tomdawg55

Could get really ugly fast with Alma having a few banged up starters
Sad to see this rivalry end this way
Many a good years with Vines at helm and schools on the same level

High Voltage

Vines had guts and class. No way in Hades he drops this series. Not much guts and class there right now. Sad but true. :-[

Pr8hd

Quote from: High Voltage on September 11, 2017, 06:52:23 pm
Vines had guts and class. No way in Hades he drops this series. Not much guts and class there right now. Sad but true. :-[

Vines and his teams weren't scared of anyone, in any class. They had NS on their slate for years as non-con and that was back when NS was pretty salty. The other thing is his teams would have been ready too, they weren't rolling over for anyone. They would out execute you.  Alma has been a shade of itself since his departure. I never saw them tuck tail in my days. They use to laugh at GW as any real competition in football, now I guess GW likely gets the last laugh.   

High Voltage

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 11, 2017, 07:26:37 pm
Vines and his teams weren't scared of anyone, in any class. They had NS on their slate for years as non-con and that was back when NS was pretty salty. The other thing is his teams would have been ready too, they weren't rolling over for anyone. They would out execute you.  Alma has been a shade of itself since his departure. I never saw them tuck tail in my days. They use to laugh at GW as any real competition in football, now I guess GW likely gets the last laugh.   
I have the utmost respect for Vines. Class act all the way.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas