• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best overall sports school

Started by Warhawkpa80, June 28, 2017, 08:07:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

Level playing field is what you make of it.  You are what you work to be.  Improve what you can and embrace the challenges.  If your school and community want football then go make it happen.  All sports count whether you choose to have them or not; or for that matter even if you cannot have them.  I'm a 6'1" basketball player who guarded players from 5'6 to players 6'9".   Our school is near the smallest of class 2A schools yet compete against schools much larger within our classification.   Happens in all classifications.  You use what you have to it's full potential individually and as a school.  No excuses.   If Mt. Ida has class A numbers then kudos to them for keeping football and winning.  They earned those points.  And football is part of their overall athletic program.  That program being evaluated as a whole is the point of the entire thread and of being determined to be the best program or not.   I just don't believe you can make level playing fields.  You just use what you have to make it the best it can be.   

Moonshiner

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 04, 2017, 10:17:11 am
You just basically made the argument for him about football....1a and 2a are combined for that lowest class just like every other sport you mentioned

Not combined.  It's a difference in semantics I suppose. 

Moonshiner

Quote from: no mascot on July 04, 2017, 10:23:03 am
I think they're right shiner but that's ok we still love you.

Thanks.  😁  I need the love. 

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 04, 2017, 01:07:44 pm
Level playing field is what you make of it.  You are what you work to be.  Improve what you can and embrace the challenges.  If your school and community want football then go make it happen.  All sports count whether you choose to have them or not; or for that matter even if you cannot have them.  I'm a 6'1" basketball player who guarded players from 5'6 to players 6'9".   Our school is near the smallest of class 2A schools yet compete against schools much larger within our classification.   Happens in all classifications.  You use what you have to it's full potential individually and as a school.  No excuses.   If Mt. Ida has class A numbers then kudos to them for keeping football and winning.  They earned those points.  And football is part of their overall athletic program.  That program being evaluated as a whole is the point of the entire thread and of being determined to be the best program or not.   I just don't believe you can make level playing fields.  You just use what you have to make it the best it can be.

I have always been thoroughly impressed with those 2A schools in the bottom half enrollment wise along with those 2A schools that have 1A numbers in all other sports that keep a steady football program. It realistically takes about 17 or 18 kids every year to be suited up when September starts and that is not always the easiest thing when you have as many kids in your entire high school as a 4A school has in one grade alone. Mount Ida has always been so impressive keeping that football program so strong and steady while having that little enrollment.

RATTLER43

Agreed.   Respect for those kids playing nearly every down week after week for love of the game and especially for team, school, and community.

RATTLER43

I just looked at one of my clippings (2011) and it only goes down to 2A in the Dem-Gaz for All-Sports Award.  Class 1A and 2A are grouped together. 

Their scoring is:
55 -champion
49 - runner-up
48 and so forth on down per round of state.  If you don't make it to state in a sport you get zero points.

Top schools for this article were:
Bentonville
Conway
Fayetteville
Southside
Russellville
Mountain Home
Jonesboro
Lake Hamilton for 6A
Greenwood for 5A*
PA for 4A*
Jessieville for 3A
Magazine for 2A/1A

Hard to argue against counting all sports and all sports equally when you look at how it turns out most of the time. I do believe the Dem-Gaz should have a 1A section as well.

Going with the utilizing all sports and counting all sports equally, which Class 1A school would rank the highest for the past year?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas