• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proposed 5A Conference 2018-19

Started by Brian G, June 07, 2017, 01:55:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

This is FOOTBALL ONLY as reclassification might occur for other sports:

CLASS 5A
5A-EAST: Batesville, Blytheville, Forrest City, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Valley View, Wynne
5A-WEST: Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Vilonia
5A-CENTRAL: Beebe, Little Rock Christian, Little Rock Fair, Little Rock Parkview, Maumelle, Pulaski Academy, Watson Chapel, White Hall
5A-SOUTH: Camden Fairview, De Queen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Little Rock McClellan, Magnolia, Texarkana

Overdahill

VHSCoach2

Wouldn't it make more sense for McClellan to be in the Central before White Hall or Watson Chapel?

This is AAA we're talking about, though...

AT

The old 5A West almost. Replace Greenwood with Farmington.

The Future

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on June 07, 2017, 02:54:15 pm
Wouldn't it make more sense for McClellan to be in the Central before White Hall or Watson Chapel?

Let the conspiracy theories begin.

PA saw how McClellan has improved and has become their only legit threat in the Central. So what do they do?? Pay the AAA to move them to another conference of course  ;D. Only logical explanation why a conference of all little rock schools would suddenly kick one out. PADad do you know anything about this?? Lol.

Seriously though. It has its flaws just as any proposal will. But it looks interesting. South expecially. Could be the start to a very entertaining season.

MDXPHD

If anyone can come up with a logical explanation for this, I would enjoy listening. I can't think of one yet.

PA Dad

Quote from: The Future on June 07, 2017, 03:24:56 pm
Let the conspiracy theories begin.

PA saw how McClellan has improved and has become their only legit threat in the Central. So what do they do?? Pay the AAA to move them to another conference of course  ;D. Only logical explanation why a conference of all little rock schools would suddenly kick one out. PADad do you know anything about this?? Lol.

Seriously though. It has its flaws just as any proposal will. But it looks interesting. South expecially. Could be the start to a very entertaining season.

You figured it out very quickly.  We thought no one would know!

VHSCoach2

Other than the McClellan/White Hall/Watson Chapel debate, the conferences look pretty good.

Lucky for football, right?

Too bad every other sport is going to be shafted when it comes to new classifications.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

AAA traditionally draws the conferences from the outside in.
Quote from: MDXPHD on June 07, 2017, 03:33:13 pm
If anyone can come up with a logical explanation for this, I would enjoy listening. I can't think of one yet.
5 of the 7 schools are closer to McClellan than to White Hall or Watson Chapel.

Wonderdog

Quote from: MDXPHD on June 07, 2017, 03:33:13 pm
In addition to Coach Depriest's logic, WH/WC have a very long, at times very heated rivalry. In football and baseball particularly. Very one-sided in basketball.

GuvHog

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on June 07, 2017, 11:00:59 pm
5 of the 7 schools are closer to McClellan than to White Hall or Watson Chapel.

There is no way that 5 of the 7 schools in the 5A South are closer to McClellan than they are to WC and White Hall.

SouthpawSensation

June 08, 2017, 11:04:44 am #11 Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:13:23 am by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: GuvHog on June 08, 2017, 09:43:50 am
There is no way that 5 of the 7 schools in the 5A South are closer to McClellan than they are to WC and White Hall.

Yes, there is a way ... let's show the mileage, according to Google maps, using the shortest trip according to time ...
Texarkana — 136 to McClellan, 151 to Watson Chapel
De Queen — 138 to McClellan, 162 to Watson Chapel
Hope — 106 to McClellan, 117 to Watson Chapel
Magnolia — 134 to McClellan, 102 to Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview — 98.5 to McClellan, 69.6 to Watson Chapel
Hot Springs — 50.5 to McClellan, 72.6 to Watson Chapel
HS Lakeside — 45.0 to McClellan, 65.8 to Watson Chapel
Texarkana, De Queen, Hope, Hot Springs, HS Lakeside are closer to McClellan. That makes 5 out of 7.

Next?

Brian G

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 08, 2017, 11:04:44 am
Yes, there is a way ... let's show the numbers, according to Google maps, using the shortest trip according to time ...

Next?

Grond

Blytheville - Aren't they supposed to drop down to 4A in the next couple of years?

Pulaski Academy - I think it is time for them to move to 6A.

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: Grond on June 08, 2017, 11:58:39 am
Blytheville - Aren't they supposed to drop down to 4A in the next couple of years?

Pulaski Academy - I think it is time for them to move to 6A.

We were 10 students too large this time around.  I can't imagine us not dropping down during the next cycle.  But, having said that, it looks like we are about to a plateau as far as losing students is concerned.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wonderdog on June 08, 2017, 02:27:09 am
In addition to Coach Depriest's logic, WH/WC have a very long, at times very heated rivalry. In football and baseball particularly. Very one-sided in basketball.

Yeah, they had planned to switch that to a non conference game if White Hall moved to the 5A Central. I can see WC appealing to stay in the 5A South if this proposed conference set up is approved.

Proud Buckaroo

Wonderdog

Yes, there is a way ... let's show the mileage, according to Google maps, using the shortest trip according to time ...
Texarkana, De Queen, Hope, Hot Springs, HS Lakeside are closer to McClellan. That makes 5 out of 7.

Next?
Nice! +1 lol

tmycjy

Your right dose make sense but they try not to break up schools in the same town unless class size are involved the only town this doesn't effect is little rock school

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 04, 2017, 11:40:18 am
So is this set in stone yet or is it just a proposal?
Football conferences are set.
Conference alignments in other sports, because of Proposal No. 9 passing earlier this week, will come out in a couple of months.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 04, 2017, 11:57:15 am
Football conferences are set.
Conference alignments in other sports, because of Proposal No. 9 passing earlier this week, will come out in a couple of months.
Ok cool. Thanks.

Go Postal

There is some threads on the basketball and soccer forums about those sport's changes.  Here is a copy/paste from one of them (no more 7A classification).

The horrible proposal for new classifications passed.

Top 16 schools will now be the 6A

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

This is just a heads-up to let you know, but let's discuss these on the basketball and soccer forums.

AHS06

Quote from: Go Postal on August 04, 2017, 12:46:46 pm
There is some threads on the basketball and soccer forums about those sport's changes.  Here is a copy/paste from one of them (no more 7A classification).

The horrible proposal for new classifications passed.

Top 16 schools will now be the 6A

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

This is just a heads-up to let you know, but let's discuss these on the basketball and soccer forums.
I personally like this and it should be for all sports.

Brian G

VHSCoach2

Quote from: B.G. on August 04, 2017, 02:33:09 pm
You should probably look at this again.

"Everyone else 3A" is for the soccer schools, since there isn't a 2A or 1A for soccer.

Go Postal

Question.  Does football conferences not change due to the fact that they only play one game a week?  While other sports play at least twice a week, so they changed the conferences because of less travel involved due to that more towns are grouped closer together? Just curious on the factors.  I haven't looked at the baseball forums yet, but they do play double-headers.  So I'm not sure.

GuvHog

August 04, 2017, 05:12:46 pm #27 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:16:14 pm by GuvHog

Next?

That works both ways. McClellan is closer to 6 of the 5A Central Schools than Watson Chapel is.

The_Pioneer

The East doesn't change so who cares how the rest of ya have to adjust.

Brian G

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 04, 2017, 02:55:18 pm
"Everyone else 3A" is for the soccer schools, since there isn't a 2A or 1A for soccer.
yes.  Soccer.

Brian G

Quote from: GuvHog on August 04, 2017, 05:12:46 pm
That works both ways. McClellan is closer to 6 of the 5A Central Schools than Watson Chapel is.
Stop.

SouthpawSensation

August 04, 2017, 08:46:11 pm #31 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:50:10 pm by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: Go Postal on August 04, 2017, 05:11:00 pm
Question.  Does football conferences not change due to the fact that they only play one game a week?  While other sports play at least twice a week, so they changed the conferences because of less travel involved due to that more towns are grouped closer together? Just curious on the factors.  I haven't looked at the baseball forums yet, but they do play double-headers.  So I'm not sure.
That is basically it. Friday night trips aren't such a hassle for football because — in almost all instances — there is no school on Saturday, and almost all football games are on Friday nights.
Other sports, however, you have games on school nights where kids and coaches (they're teachers, too) have to return to class the following day. That's not good when the trips are really long, so they will try to work it where conferences can play their shorter-distance games on Tuesday and save longer trips for Fridays.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 04, 2017, 08:46:11 pm
That is basically it. Friday night trips aren't such a hassle for football because — in almost all instances — there is no school on Saturday, and almost all football games are on Friday nights.
Other sports, however, you have games on school nights where kids and coaches (they're teachers, too) have to return to class the following day. That's not good when the trips are really long, so they will try to work it where conferences can play their shorter-distance games on Tuesday and save longer trips for Fridays.

For the majority of instances, that isn't going to happen, try as they might.

SouthpawSensation

August 04, 2017, 09:19:10 pm #33 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:26:51 pm by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: GuvHog on August 04, 2017, 05:12:46 pm
Apparently, GuvHog can't get enough of Professor Southpaw's reclassification lessons, so he has returned. (Please refer to the 4A football thread for those who doesn't understand what I'm talking about.)
I'll try to make this as simple as possible. Class, please pay attention. I don't want to repeat this twice.
Let's look at the 5A-Central. Can you tell me what is the longest trip that group of schools has to make?
Answer: Beebe to Watson Chapel at 76 miles.
Now let's look at the 5A-South. How many trips do you see in that conference that are longer than 76 miles?
Answers as follows:
• Texarkana-Hot Springs — 108
• Texarkana-Hot Springs Lakeside — 114
• Magnolia-Hot Springs Lakeside — 111 miles
• Magnolia-Hot Springs — 106 miles
• De Queen-Hot Springs — 89.2 miles
• De Queen-Hot Springs Lakeside — 94.8 miles
• Camden Fairview-Hot Springs Lakeside — 82.7 miles
• Camden Fairview-Hot Springs — 88.2 miles
• Hope to Hot Springs — 78.4 miles
• Hope to Hot Springs Lakeside — 84.0 miles
That's 10 trips that are longer in the 5A-South than the longest trip in the 5A-Central.
So, class ... let's take the information I've given you and answer this question — Who needs more help with its travel issues: the 5A-South or the 5A-Central?
If you know the answer, please raise your hand ....

GuvHog

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 04, 2017, 09:19:10 pm
Apparently, GuvHog can't get enough of Professor Southpaw's reclassification lessons, so he has returned. (Please refer to the 4A football thread for those who doesn't understand what I'm talking about.)
I'll try to make this as simple as possible. Class, please pay attention. I don't want to repeat this twice.
Let's look at the 5A-Central. Can you tell me what is the longest trip that group of schools has to make?
Answer: Beebe to Watson Chapel at 76 miles.
Now let's look at the 5A-South. How many trips do you see in that conference that are longer than 76 miles?
Answers as follows:
• Texarkana-Hot Springs — 108
• Texarkana-Hot Springs Lakeside — 114
• Magnolia-Hot Springs Lakeside — 111 miles
• Magnolia-Hot Springs — 106 miles
• De Queen-Hot Springs — 89.2 miles
• De Queen-Hot Springs Lakeside — 94.8 miles
• Camden Fairview-Hot Springs Lakeside — 82.7 miles
• Camden Fairview-Hot Springs — 88.2 miles
• Hope to Hot Springs — 78.4 miles
• Hope to Hot Springs Lakeside — 84.0 miles
That's 10 trips that are longer in the 5A-South than the longest trip in the 5A-Central.
So, class ... let's take the information I've given you and answer this question — Who needs more help with its travel issues: the 5A-South or the 5A-Central?
If you know the answer, please raise your hand ....

That doesn't disprove the fact that McClellan is closer to 6 of the 5A Central Schools than WC is.

SouthpawSensation

August 05, 2017, 11:47:37 am #35 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:51:48 am by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: GuvHog on August 05, 2017, 11:02:22 am
That doesn't disprove the fact that McClellan is closer to 6 of the 5A Central Schools than WC is.
But it proves the fact that the Central doesn't need any help with travel issues. Its longest trip is just 76 miles!
How many teams would relish the thought that its longest trip is 76 miles? The Central's mileage is about half of what the South is, and let's not even start comparing its travel to the 5A-West.
So why pile extra miles on the South? The Central teams have room in their travel budgets to spare.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: The_Pioneer on August 04, 2017, 06:52:37 pm
The East doesn't change so who cares how the rest of ya have to adjust.
Sort of like the last 150 years. Rest of the state changes, the east stays the same.  ;D

GuvHog

August 06, 2017, 01:05:33 pm #37 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:08:28 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 05, 2017, 11:47:37 am
But it proves the fact that the Central doesn't need any help with travel issues. Its longest trip is just 76 miles!
How many teams would relish the thought that its longest trip is 76 miles? The Central's mileage is about half of what the South is, and let's not even start comparing its travel to the 5A-West.
So why pile extra miles on the South? The Central teams have room in their travel budgets to spare.

The 2 schools have been happy in the conferences they are in for some time and I see no reason to change that.

As for Watson Chapel and White Hall, they played every year as non-conference foes when they weren't in the same conference so doing so again wouldn't be a problem.

GuvHog

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 05, 2017, 04:01:28 pm
Sort of like the last 150 years. Rest of the state changes, the east stays the same.  ;D

Wasn't it just recently that Beebe moved from the 5A east to the 5A Central so valley View could move up to the 5A East??

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 01:05:33 pm
The 2 schools have been happy in the conferences they are in for some time and I see no reason to change that.

As for Watson Chapel and White Hall, they played every year as non-conference foes when they weren't in the same conference so doing so again wouldn't be a problem.
That Watson Chapel-White Hall reference shouldn't have been used, GuvHog. Here's why:
Q: Do you know when the last time Watson Chapel and White Hall weren't in the same conference?
A: 2009
Q: So why were they not in the same conference that year?
A: They weren't even in the same classification. Watson Chapel was 6A with Pine Bluff, while White Hall was still in 5A
••••••••
Simply put, when the dynamics of a classification changes, the conferences have to change with it, regardless if schools are "happy" about it or not. And in the case of the AAA, cutting travel comes first.
In 2018, Class 5A will lose two members — Sylvan Hills and Mills — and both are in the Central. Its replacements are Huntsville and Texarkana, and neither one of them will be in the Central.
Because Texarkana moves into the 5A-South, it causes that conference to shift drastically toward the southwest and adds mileage. That's why it makes sense to send both Watson Chapel and White Hall (in the southeastern part of the state) to the Central and pick up a McClellan, which cuts down a little on travel for those in the South.

GuvHog

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 06, 2017, 02:40:26 pm
That Watson Chapel-White Hall reference shouldn't have been used, GuvHog. Here's why:
Q: Do you know when the last time Watson Chapel and White Hall weren't in the same conference?
A: 2009
Q: So why were they not in the same conference that year?
A: They weren't even in the same classification. Watson Chapel was 6A with Pine Bluff, while White Hall was still in 5A
••••••••
Simply put, when the dynamics of a classification changes, the conferences have to change with it, regardless if schools are "happy" about it or not. And in the case of the AAA, cutting travel comes first.
In 2018, Class 5A will lose two members — Sylvan Hills and Mills — and both are in the Central. Its replacements are Huntsville and Texarkana, and neither one of them will be in the Central.
Because Texarkana moves into the 5A-South, it causes that conference to shift drastically toward the southwest and adds mileage. That's why it makes sense to send both Watson Chapel and White Hall (in the southeastern part of the state) to the Central and pick up a McClellan, which cuts down a little on travel for those in the South.

The move to put both WC and White Hall in the 5A central had everything to do with keeping WC and White Hall together in the same conference and very little to do with mileage. My point is it wasn't necessary to do that because they would have played as non-conference foes if WC had stayed put in the 5A South and moving McClellan to the 5A South greatly increases their travel.

SouthpawSensation

Some times, GuvHog, I wonder if you work at an Oscar Mayer plant, because your ideas wreak with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.
Of course, it had to do with mileage! McClellan's increase in mileage is nullified by Watson Chapel's decrease in mileage, so that isn't a bargaining chip there.
Texarkana, De Queen, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside and Hope all get their mileage cut by going to McClellan instead of Watson Chapel. That benefits five of the other seven schools in the 5A-South — a solid majority rule in any election. How can you not see that?
And if I'm wrong, how come no school in either conference decided to appeal it? The AAA had just one appeal this year — the least it's ever had when it comes to reclassification!

GuvHog

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 07, 2017, 09:48:55 am
Some times, GuvHog, I wonder if you work at an Oscar Mayer plant, because your ideas wreak with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.
Of course, it had to do with mileage! McClellan's increase in mileage is nullified by Watson Chapel's decrease in mileage, so that isn't a bargaining chip there.
Texarkana, De Queen, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside and Hope all get their mileage cut by going to McClellan instead of Watson Chapel. That benefits five of the other seven schools in the 5A-South — a solid majority rule in any election. How can you not see that?
And if I'm wrong, how come no school in either conference decided to appeal it? The AAA had just one appeal this year — the least it's ever had when it comes to reclassification!

That's silly. WC's decrease in mileage doesn't nullify McClellan's increase in Mileage. McClellan still has a drastic increase in travel in the 5A South over what they've had in the 5A Central so swapping those 2 schools is achieving nothing because one of the teams will have to travel farther than they do in their current conference..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas