• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A BOYS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: Pea Ridge vs Baptist Prep(Friday 7:00)

Started by Brian G, March 04, 2017, 07:58:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Pea Ridge
20 (35.7%)
Baptist Prep
36 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: March 11, 2017, 06:42:36 pm

Brian G

more to come

Brian G

prHOG13

Pea Ridge vs Baptist Prep

The two best teams in the state in 4A all year long playing for the title

LRRandy

Yeah the #8 overall team in the state vs a Johnny come lately.

I keed, I keed. PR has the type of game that could give Baptist Prep trouble. It will be interesting to see how PR handles the man to man D that was unveiled against Cave City. Or will the 3-2 zone be harder to crack? Maybe the 1-3-1 matchup. There is a lot to prepare for.

kennyboy

Quote from: LRRandy on March 04, 2017, 11:12:48 pm

I keed, I keed. PR has the type of game that could give Baptist Prep trouble. It will be interesting to see how PR handles the man to man D that was unveiled against Cave City. Or will the 3-2 zone be harder to crack? Maybe the 1-3-1 matchup. There is a lot to prepare for.

I think the bigger issues are ... how dominant can/will Vanover be inside vs the PR defense ... and who will he guard if they come out of their zone. I think that COULD be the biggest factor.   I'd imagine they wouldn't try to match up with Conner and play #32 most of the night.  I suspect that they'd play smaller and make him defend the corner three ball.   

If PR is shooting it well ... and most nights they do ... they can give Baptist a run at it.   

I think Baptist wins ultimately though. I think this is about as good a matchup as there could be in 4a. 

Ole Legend

pridgehog

Quote from: LRRandy on March 04, 2017, 11:12:48 pm

With a 7 foot 3 D1 prospect and a D1 guard on the team, no other team in the State has those two things going for them. The boys from the Cow Pastures of Pea Ridge will just show up and give their heart and souls. We will see what happens.

Ozark Hog

If PR is hitting the threes they will make a game out of it, the only problem is if you live with the the three point shoot and  you are not hitting them they will bury you.
The BP guard is the real deal.

Ole Legend

Play a zone and we will hit threes. Come out in man and we will get to the rim. It's a game if adjustments and we have done that all year. The two best teams head to head for the championship, I can't wait for Friday!

LRRandy

March 06, 2017, 06:35:36 pm #9 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:52:59 pm by LRRandy
Quote from: pridgehog on March 05, 2017, 02:49:48 pm
With a 7 foot 3 D1 prospect and a D1 guard on the team, no other team in the State has those two things going for them. The boys from the Cow Pastures of Pea Ridge will just show up and give their heart and souls. We will see what happens.
PR has a great record and is a good team. You don't make it to the final game on luck, they are to be respected. As you state above they are underdogs but will no doubt come out and do their best. My opinion is that their best will get them second place.

Prediction.

Baptist Prep 53

PR   38

Back2back state championships, warming up for the three peat.

What is your prediction? Anyone care to prognosticate? Place your prediction in this thread

LRRandy

Quote from: Ole Legend on March 05, 2017, 09:08:27 pm
Play a zone and we will hit threes. Come out in man and we will get to the rim. It's a game if adjustments and we have done that all year. The two best teams head to head for the championship, I can't wait for Friday!
yeah, I don't think they have faced a defense like this.

Brian G

Mr. Mercer

What defense would that be? Man to man? Matchup Zone? 1-3-1? Pottsvilles 1-3-1 got torched

LRRandy

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on March 06, 2017, 08:51:14 pm
What defense would that be? Man to man? Matchup Zone? 1-3-1? Pottsvilles 1-3-1 got torched
I guess then that you are saying PR is going to torch Baptist's d. So, you have a prediction? I've noticed 7 anonymous votes but yet there's not one person that cast a vote step up and make a prediction on the score of the game. Must not be very confident.

Mr. Mercer

Baptist should win you're correct. I think Pea Ridge presents their best challenge in 4A because of the outside shot. I think man to man could hurt BP because that means Vanover has to get out and guard the three point line. I only mentioned torching 1-3-1 because they just did it Saturday. I'm interested to hear what this super secret defense is.

LRRandy

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on March 06, 2017, 09:37:50 pm
Baptist should win you're correct. I think Pea Ridge presents their best challenge in 4A because of the outside shot. I think man to man could hurt BP because that means Vanover has to get out and guard the three point line. I only mentioned torching 1-3-1 because they just did it Saturday. I'm interested to hear what this super secret defense is.
lol. I agree with all your points. Connor gets out on the three quite often though. Nothing so super secret. It's the execution and the athleticism and speed with which it is executed. I'm hoping for a good game in an exciting atmosphere.

springdalesmitty

Quote from: LRRandy on March 06, 2017, 09:03:20 pm
I guess then that you are saying PR is going to torch Baptist's d. So, you have a prediction? I've noticed 7 anonymous votes but yet there's not one person that cast a vote step up and make a prediction on the score of the game. Must not be very confident.
Randy, are you Brandon and Connor's dad? I was told by a Baptist Prep fan that you were.

springdalesmitty

Quote from: LRRandy on March 06, 2017, 06:35:36 pm
PR has a great record and is a good team. You don't make it to the final game on luck, they are to be respected. As you state above they are underdogs but will no doubt come out and do their best. My opinion is that their best will get them second place.

Prediction.

Baptist Prep 53

PR   38

Back2back state championships, warming up for the three peat.

What is your prediction? Anyone care to prognosticate? Place your prediction in this thread
I watched both teams at State, I think it will go either way. Prep has the pressure on them because they are the defending Champs and Pea Ridge will get to hear all week that Baptist thinks they will beat them easy and that they can't stop 7 foot 3.  I think it will go down to the final minute...

PASS

LRRandy

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 07, 2017, 08:23:51 am
I watched both teams at State, I think it will go either way. Prep has the pressure on them because they are the defending Champs and Pea Ridge will get to hear all week that Baptist thinks they will beat them easy and that they can't stop 7 foot 3.  I think it will go down to the final minute...
I want to see a good game too. Pressure is a funny thing. It can bring out the best in someone, or it can make a person perform below the level of their ability. If PR can't hit from 3 they are in trouble. If they shoot just ok like they did against Robinson they won't be close. Their best shooting effort will be required to make a game of it and even then I'm not sure they could get it done.

Ozark Hog

I would agree, if PR is off then BP will win the game. How ever what happens if PR is bombing the threes and BP is having an off night? If I was PR I would go back and look at what Bauxite did when they played BP close in all the games they play this year, I know PG has better outside shooter than  Bauxite.

Ole Legend

Quote from: LRRandy on March 07, 2017, 10:34:26 am
I want to see a good game too. Pressure is a funny thing. It can bring out the best in someone, or it can make a person perform below the level of their ability. If PR can't hit from 3 they are in trouble. If they shoot just ok like they did against Robinson they won't be close. Their best shooting effort will be required to make a game of it and even then I'm not sure they could get it done.

Pea Ridge could shoot "ok" and still be in the game. They can get to the rim and draw fouls, and they are all pretty good free throw shooters. They have athletes across the board that will guard all night. I know you pull for your son every night and think they are unbeatable, I personally think this game is going to come down to which coach can make the best adjustments throughout the game.

Gray lizard

Just wondering what D1 school the 7'3" young man  is going to.  I have not seen him this year.  Has he put on any weight?

BP is hard to stop. Deny the ball to the big man by fronting and backing.  Problem there is that leaves one of their many shooters open.
PR can shoot the ball very well and don't put them on the foul line often.

Remember everyone wants to see the giant slayed.

Trojanball24

BP has the most talent hands down. Name another team that has a 7'3 Center that plays on Team USA and a D1 PG. Its not scheme its pure talent. PR will have to have one of two things happen foul trouble vs 7'3 or shoot 50%

Ozark Hog

Ozark Hog

I think they were better last year when they had the twins guards, playing.

LRRandy

Quote from: Ole Legend on March 07, 2017, 11:02:40 am
Pea Ridge could shoot "ok" and still be in the game. They can get to the rim and draw fouls, and they are all pretty good free throw shooters. They have athletes across the board that will guard all night. I know you pull for your son every night and think they are unbeatable, I personally think this game is going to come down to which coach can make the best adjustments throughout the game.
I'm afraid not. Driving into the lane facing a 7'3" rim ptotecter is something you can't simulate in practice. If PR shoots like they de the only time I've seen them play (Robinson) they lose. It really is that simple.

springdalesmitty

Quote from: LRRandy on March 07, 2017, 02:53:07 pm
I'm afraid not. Driving into the lane facing a 7'3" rim ptotecter is something you can't simulate in practice. If PR shoots like they de the only time I've seen them play (Robinson) they lose. It really is that simple.
If Connor Stands in the Lane all day then yes, but then his length will not be on the perimeter protecting the three point shot.

pridgehog

Quote from: LRRandy on March 07, 2017, 02:53:07 pm
Let's just play the game, these teams have worked their butts off all year to get to this game. I hope both teams play well and stay healthy. Good Luck to your son Connor in this game Randy. I think everyone knows Baptist Prep is a great team with a ton of talent. Pea Ridge is the Underdog and I think we are fine with that.  I myself am very proud that my son has been able to be a part of such an outstanding season.

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 07, 2017, 08:20:54 am
Randy, are you Brandon and Connor's dad? I was told by a Baptist Prep fan that you were.

Not unless Mr. Vanover is using an alias screen name.  I think I recall LRRandy once posting that he had a son on last year's team though.

LRRandy

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on March 07, 2017, 04:00:59 pm
Not unless Mr. Vanover is using an alias screen name.  I think I recall LRRandy once posting that he had a son on last year's team though.
mr. Vanover does post on here occasionally. I am not he.

RamblinRazorWreck

The big question for me is, who will be the first to get things rolling after the inevitable "deer in the headlights" first few minutes?  I think BP's experience in the arena will be a big asset, but that will not totally negate the tightness that will still be felt.

I do know that Pea Ridge cannot prepare for what they will be facing.  They will just have to set their game plan and adjust as needed.

BP's ability to defend is underrated.  This year and last, they have held almost every opponent to their lowest scoring total of the season. 

springdalesmitty

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on March 07, 2017, 04:24:37 pm
The big question for me is, who will be the first to get things rolling after the inevitable "deer in the headlights" first few minutes?  I think BP's experience in the arena will be a big asset, but that will not totally negate the tightness that will still be felt.

I do know that Pea Ridge cannot prepare for what they will be facing.  They will just have to set their game plan and adjust as needed.

BP's ability to defend is underrated.  This year and last, they have held almost every opponent to their lowest scoring total of the season.
LOL!

springdalesmitty

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 07, 2017, 11:03:21 am
Just wondering what D1 school the 7'3" young man  is going to.  I have not seen him this year.  Has he put on any weight?

BP is hard to stop. Deny the ball to the big man by fronting and backing.  Problem there is that leaves one of their many shooters open.
PR can shoot the ball very well and don't put them on the foul line often.

Remember everyone wants to see the giant slayed.
Ole Miss offered, I know he visited Bama a few weeks ago. Not sure what all offers he has. He has way too much upside for a D1 not to give him a shot.

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 07, 2017, 04:50:17 pm
Ole Miss offered, I know he visited Bama a few weeks ago. Not sure what all offers he has. He has way too much upside for a D1 not to give him a shot.

Alabama, Ole Miss and Arkansas for sure.  I thought Vandy offered too, but I may be mistaken.

LRRandy

Quote from: pridgehog on March 07, 2017, 03:55:57 pm
Let's just play the game, these teams have worked their butts off all year to get to this game. I hope both teams play well and stay healthy. Good Luck to your son Connor in this game Randy. I think everyone knows Baptist Prep is a great team with a ton of talent. Pea Ridge is the Underdog and I think we are fine with that.  I myself am very proud that my son has been able to be a part of such an outstanding season.
you should be proud. A state title run is a fun experience for all involved. You know the drill. You were posting last year when you didn't make it out of regional. Message boards are forums to post opinions. Button pushing happens. Enjoyed even. In the enjoyment derived from such button pushing, or pot stirring, never has the intention been to impugn any young mens hard work. I have posted my respect for the boys of PR. I just don't think they are going to win. This is the place for me to express that opinion. Oh, I fixed your post for you.

prHOG13

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on March 07, 2017, 05:30:05 pm
Alabama, Ole Miss and Arkansas for sure.  I thought Vandy offered too, but I may be mistaken.
Arkansas did offer at one point, but I don't believe that is still on the table. Believe it was conditional similar to Adrian Moore.

centralarkansasbasketball

Quote from: Ozark Hog on March 07, 2017, 11:43:06 am
How did Bauxite play them so close this year?

Bauxite played them well 3 times...Bauxite is hard to play against for anyone. I was at one of the games. Baptist had a hard time scoring on them and they don't make many mistakes

jrbballguy

I think Pea Ridge is better than Baptist wants to believe they are.  The kids from PR have played together for several years, and they are really athletic. 
I am always a bit skeptical when I hear people calling a kid D1 prospect.  Most people do not know what it takes to be able to play at the college level, especially at the D1 level.  Last time I saw Baptist play, they were talented for sure, but I wasn't just overly impressed by anything other than the kid was 7'3.  But, I have been spoiled by getting to watch Malik Monk play for the past few years, so I am not impressed that easily anymore. 

I am pulling for Pea Ridge in this one based on two things.  1. Those kids play really hard and very well together.  2. They are well coached, and I think they will make the better adjustments.  Free throws help them pull away at the end. 

Pea Ridge 60 - Baptist Prep 52

Mr. Mercer

The McBride kid is definitely a D1 basketball player and the best player on that team. I'd be more skeptical of Vanover being major D1. 7'3 is great but you have to be able to move and not get pushed around at the next level.

SportsDad

Rooting for PR simply because they are a public school playing against a private school :)
---felt like someone needed to throw that out there--

Gray lizard

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on March 09, 2017, 10:04:41 am
The McBride kid is definitely a D1 basketball player and the best player on that team. I'd be more skeptical of Vanover being major D1. 7'3 is great but you have to be able to move and not get pushed around at the next level.

I agee that is why I asked if he had put on any weight.

87DAWG

Quote from: jrbballguy on March 09, 2017, 09:14:09 am
I think Pea Ridge is better than Baptist wants to believe they are.  The kids from PR have played together for several years, and they are really athletic. 
I am always a bit skeptical when I hear people calling a kid D1 prospect.  Most people do not know what it takes to be able to play at the college level, especially at the D1 level.  Last time I saw Baptist play, they were talented for sure, but I wasn't just overly impressed by anything other than the kid was 7'3.  But, I have been spoiled by getting to watch Malik Monk play for the past few years, so I am not impressed that easily anymore. 

I am pulling for Pea Ridge in this one based on two things.  1. Those kids play really hard and very well together.  2. They are well coached, and I think they will make the better adjustments.  Free throws help them pull away at the end.  McBride Kid is a D! player period...his upside is incredible....don't agree, my opinion, you haven't really seem him play cause he can go against any guard, anywhere, anytime....

Pea Ridge 60 - Baptist Prep 52
McBride kid is D1 period....glad you got to see Malik all those years but McBride is D1!!! Anyone who knows basketball can see that....I have seen him play twice and does more than score....he is a game changer...

jrbballguy

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 09, 2017, 10:19:43 am
I agee that is why I asked if he had put on any weight.

Completely agree with that.  Can't coach muscle and physical presence.

Quote from: 87DAWG on March 09, 2017, 11:21:11 am
McBride kid is D1 period....glad you got to see Malik all those years but McBride is D1!!! Anyone who knows basketball can see that....I have seen him play twice and does more than score....he is a game changer...

McBride must have had an off night when I saw them play.  I have heard good things, just haven't witnessed it yet. 

I am hoping to see them all at their best tomorrow night.  Should be interesting. 
If there is one thing that I have learned from watching the state finals in the last few years, it is that it takes more than one or two people to win it.  Malik got Bentonville to the championship because he was so talented, but at that level you can't do it by yourself.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

prHOG13

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on March 09, 2017, 12:24:28 pm
Are the games televised this year?
They can be streamed by the NFHS network, just remember to cancel your subscription or it'll keep charging you

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: jrbballguy on March 09, 2017, 11:44:20 am
Completely agree with that.  Can't coach muscle and physical presence.

McBride must have had an off night when I saw them play.  I have heard good things, just haven't witnessed it yet. 

I am hoping to see them all at their best tomorrow night.  Should be interesting. 
If there is one thing that I have learned from watching the state finals in the last few years, it is that it takes more than one or two people to win it.  Malik got Bentonville to the championship because he was so talented, but at that level you can't do it by yourself.

Monk was officially 0 for 10 from 3 point range in that game (although he also missed at least 4 more with a toe on the line).  Barnes & Cabot holding him to 19 pts made a HUGE difference in the game, but Monk settling for long-range shots in the 2nd half when it was clear he was having an off night was B'ville's undoing (IMO). 

BigLion10

Fearless Friday is televising them like the football games so I guess channel 4 will have them

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: prHOG13 on March 09, 2017, 12:27:59 pm
They can be streamed by the NFHS network, just remember to cancel your subscription or it'll keep charging you
Thank you!

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 09, 2017, 01:00:04 pm
Fearless Friday is televising them like the football games so I guess channel 4 will have them
Thank you!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas