• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What it takes to defeat Pulaski Academy

Started by FD4, February 17, 2017, 09:07:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Bruin Backer on February 21, 2017, 11:01:57 am
I In 7x7, you can practice on covering five receivers every play...from multiple formations.

The Wynne game plan was simple, and effective. Wynne thought they could disrupt the offense by rushing the QB like Batesville did. Knowing what to expect, PA had the QB roll to one side or the other after getting the snap, with the OL adjusting their blocking scheme accordingly. The result was that Hatcher gained just enough extra time to let the receivers get open. Next, the defensive ends focused on the QB on the option play, forcing him to pitch. Since Wynne couldn't pass the ball, the secondary was free to string out the pitch man...or recover the bad pitch by the QB.

Football is not that complicated. Every defensive formation is good against some things, but is weak against something else. If an offense can run the ball and pass the ball equally well, then they will move the ball by exploiting what the defense gives them on a given play. The same is true on defense. If the other team can run the ball well, but can't pass, or vice versa, the defense can focus on stopping what the other team does best. It all comes down to execution. PA plays to its strengths, and tries to minimize its weaknesses. To beat PA, or anyone else, teams must do the same thing.

I think the multiple turnovers by Wynne and the failure to control the onside kicks were by far the biggest problems in the game.

JessieP

The biggest problem is that for the time being the rest of the 5A is left wondering how can we beat these guys ? I've read 100 theories and about 500 excuses. The main reason they win is because their that much better. Did you watch the State Championship ? PA's first 3 plays should have been touchdowns, the receivers were wide open but the qb simply overthrew them. Any objective football Coach would look at the Batesville and Wynne games against PA and say "these guys aren't even close". If you went for a hot dog right after the kick-off at the Championship, when you returned to your seat it was 20-0. That kind of domination isn't because of fumbles or onside kicks. It's because they are head and shoulders above the rest. Sadly I don't see anyone changing that reality in 2017.   

FD4

JP, Van has a plan and has been there, done that.  Hope we get another shot this year.  But for the most part, your right.  PA is the Jimmie Johnson of 5A football right now.  You know, you love it when they are beating up on someone else and hate em when they come to your town.

JessieP

February 23, 2017, 11:10:36 am #53 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:14:50 am by JessieP
FD4, great post, spot on. You think I'm joking when I say beating PA 4 years ago is a great source of pride ? I'm dead serious, it's a very exclusive club. Wynne has the guns to do it but there is one glaring problem. The offense, call it what you want, Flex, Flexbone, Triple option or any other of the various titles. If run effectively it's powerful, except it can't throw worth a poop. PA loaded the box and shut it down. I think next year Wynne is going to face '8 in the box' all year. I was at the Wynne/Batesville game this year, during warm-ups I was thinking "How are these guys undefeated" ? well I found out, over and over. During warm-up passing lines the qb's passes were wobbly and off target, the receivers dropped about half of them. The problem was it doesn't matter, when you get 10 yards a carry why throw it ? a few years ago Wynne had a D1 qb, he threw darts. I think he went to Cincinnati, he looked like a man playing against boys. You'd watch him in warm-ups and the opposing crowd would Ooo and Ahh. This year the qb looked the same way, at handing off. Ironically they are the same way on Defense, a brick wall up front. And Jr. high JV on the corners. If you watch the film of the Championship game PA's receivers never made highlight reel catches, they were always wide open. I wonder if Wynne wouldn't be better served to line up and play a more pro-style offense. Their RB's are good enough to still rack up yards and it would force the D to play the pass. The Flex is a good offense until the defense figures it out, then it becomes very limiting.

HowBoutThemJackets

You have to score every time you have the ball.  You have to get every onside kick.  You have to get pressure.  You can't miss any tackles.  And you have to keep their receivers in front of your secondary.  Then you need some luck.   

WorkOrder

Quote from: HowBoutThemJackets on February 23, 2017, 02:12:21 pm
You have to score every time you have the ball.  You have to get every onside kick.  You have to get pressure.  You can't miss any tackles.  And you have to keep their receivers in front of your secondary.  Then you need some luck.   

And you need to be able to recruit the best kids out of your area without punishment

Grond

We have talked about some of these "solutions" to defeating Pulaski Academy like they haven't been tried. In truth, some very good coaches have tried very hard to address these strategies used by Pulaski Academy.

In my opinion, PA's greatest strength is NOT "D1 talent". PA's greatest strength is the intelligence of their program; both coaches AND players.

I would love to know the average ACT score of PA's football team, compared to other playoff teams.

Grond

February 25, 2017, 12:58:44 pm #57 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:58:59 pm by Grond
SO, let's give an example of PA smarts. [These posts tend to get ignored; but they make me feel better.]

We are at the PA vs Batesville playoff game, 2016. It is 3rd down and about 8; Batesville is on about their 35 or 40, and has the ball.

Batesville lines up; the majority of their backs and receivers are on the RIGHT side. They have one WR split to the left. The QB is in a shotgun. Just by the looks of the formation and the Down & Distance, the play will likely be a pass to the right.

[I will describe PA's moves in terms of the Batesville view, so left/right is not as confusing.]

The PA defense sees Batesville has RB/WR's on the right, so they shift that way, too. But something very interesting happens on the left side of Batesville's offensive line.

There is a defensive tackle head-up the Batesville Center. The PA defensive end moves to the outside shoulder of the Batesville Left Tackle. There is no one over the Batesville Left Guard. And.......PA brings up an outside linebacker (or cornerback) up on the line of scrimmage, just outside of the PA defensive end.

Here we go: Batesville snaps the ball.

The Batesville QB gets the snap, and rolls to his right. But my focus here is on the left offensive line of Batesville.

The Batesville offensive linemen are well coached, and follow their strategy/technique. The Left Tackle and Left Guard step back in their pass blocking stance, and reach out their right arm to touch the shoulder of the o-lineman on their right. They make sure that no one "crosses their face", because if the PA defensive end were to run untouched between the Batesville Left Tackle and Left Guard, he might get to the Batesville QB.

An assumption made for this pass blocking technique is that, any defensive player that runs to the OUTSIDE of the Batesville Left Tackle will not get to the QB in time. Which is kind of right.

The ball is snapped.......

The Batesville QB rolls to the right. The Batesville Left Guard and Left Tackle move to their blocking stances.

The PA Outside Linebacker (who is relatively small, even for high school) takes off as fast as he can, AROUND THE OUTSIDE of the Batesville Left Tackle. The PA [edit] Defensive End does the same thing, following the faster OLB. They don't even try to go through the Batesville offensive linemen.

The Batesville QB sees his first WR option is covered. But now he sees/feels the pressure coming from the fast PA Outside Linebacker, and must throw the ball away out-of-bounds. (With PA DE right behind the PA OLB, it is unlikely that the Batesville QB could scramble to get away from BOTH PA players.)

Let's review what happened here:
- PA looked at the situation (3rd and long)
- PA had scouted the play, and had expected a specific blocking technique by Batesville.
- PA called a blitz that didn't stop the play, but had a high chance of putting pressure on the play.
- No PA college prospect players were involved.

This is an example of why these guys are hard to beat.

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: Grond on February 25, 2017, 12:04:42 pm
We have talked about some of these "solutions" to defeating Pulaski Academy like they haven't been tried. In truth, some very good coaches have tried very hard to address these strategies used by Pulaski Academy.

In my opinion, PA's greatest strength is NOT "D1 talent". PA's greatest strength is the intelligence of their program; both coaches AND players.

I would love to know the average ACT score of PA's football team, compared to other playoff teams.

I like this point and agree. It goes to a few things I have said or at least tried to..lol. The coaches, teachers and parents together nurture the progression of the student/athlete in all areas to very much include "football IQ" and from a young age. Its very hard for even the best coaches to do this alone, it take a village. The PA machine didn't happen over night, it was created over time. Now I do agree that PA does have a number of advantages over many other schools but I don't see it as having been given to them. I see it more as a group of people had a vision of what they wanted and got together and over time created it.

I hate my team getting a boot in the butt the same as anyone. Be that as it may, I really cant get mad or blame them for taking advantage of any and all opportunities on and off the field.

Anyway, I like the Paschal hire. I really excited to see how we do.

JessieP

Great post Grond, well thought out and spot on. I have always said PA's talent is less then impressive. They have had an unusual number of football players sign to play at D1 schools but look closer at it, how many of them are what you'd call ESPN Top 100 ? you have Hunter Henry, and we thought Broderick Green. Hunter is a star, no doubt. Broderick was a bust. When I think of D1 talent I'm talking about 6'5 stud. When I say I never see athletic freaks on PA's team I'm not talking about the kid who signs with UCA (a D1 school) I'm talking about Power 5 conference. When I say PA wins with their system, not ringers, I mean the type of player where every Friday night you see asst. coaches with Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma golf shirts standing on the sideline with clip boards. Excluding Hunter Henry when was the last time you saw ESPN saying "Now let's go to Pulaski Academy to see where Joe Blow is going to play his college ball". I'm not disparaging any kid who plays college ball on any level, that's an impressive feat. But to say PA brings in studs and gives them financial aid, I just don't see it. I see that the system gets great results from very average talent.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on February 25, 2017, 12:04:42 pm

I know the combined ACT of the QB and Center for the 2013 team that beat P.A. at home - 69.  I can't recall the ACT average for that huge Pioneer O-Line, but it was right at 30.  That run of three consecutive final appearances at WMS featured a number of very intelligent young men.  Not a lot of exceptional athletes, but some pretty savy players.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on February 25, 2017, 09:18:51 pm
I know the combined ACT of the QB and Center for the 2013 team that beat P.A. at home - 69.  I can't recall the ACT average for that huge Pioneer O-Line, but it was right at 30.  That run of three consecutive final appearances at WMS featured a number of very intelligent young men.  Not a lot of exceptional athletes, but some pretty savy players.
Wow. That is great. That was one of the few times I've seen PA manhandled. Obviously smart guys too.

RZback

PA has lots of advantages that I'm sure they are sorry they have to endure.  So the simple fact that they have no talent to speak of is overcome by superior coaching.  It's amazing that some of you think they don't have a talent edge.  Some silly ideas on here. LOL.

Grond

Quote from: RZback on February 26, 2017, 09:48:14 pm
PA has lots of advantages that I'm sure they are sorry they have to endure.  So the simple fact that they have no talent to speak of is overcome by superior coaching.  It's amazing that some of you think they don't have a talent edge.  Some silly ideas on here. LOL.

OK, so which statement do you think is more true:

A) PA recruits/acquires its talented players.

B) PA develops its talented players.

STBruin

Quote from: Grond on February 26, 2017, 10:39:18 pm
OK, so which statement do you think is more true:

A) PA recruits/acquires its talented players.

B) PA develops its talented players.

B- PA develops its talented players. Cause out of the starters on this years state championship team...they have all been at PA since at least 7th grade...so that kind of takes the recruiting out of it...another thing is the coaching...believe that for the most part the coaches at PA flat out...OUT COACH their competition...

JessieP

February 27, 2017, 02:17:09 pm #65 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:26:00 pm by JessieP
Quote from: STBruin on February 27, 2017, 12:04:19 pm
B- PA develops its talented players. Cause out of the starters on this years state championship team...they have all been at PA since at least 7th grade...so that kind of takes the recruiting out of it...another thing is the coaching...believe that for the most part the coaches at PA flat out...OUT COACH their competition...

The "7th grade" point dispels some of the recruiting argument, not all of it. With kids playing football in Arkansas starting in the 3rd grade it's easy to spot potential talent years before the 7th grade.

The one point that gives me pause for concern is the financial aid. Why are football players given financial aid at an exponentially higher level then the general student population ? if aid was consistent across the board then yes, that and the 7th grade point would kill the "they recruit" argument. On one hand you have your point, looks bad for the people claiming recruiting foul. On the other hand the financial aid point pumps up the recruiting point.

STBruin

Quote from: JessieP on February 27, 2017, 02:17:09 pm
The "7th grade" point dispels some of the recruiting argument, not all of it. With kids playing football in Arkansas starting in the 3rd grade it's easy to spot potential talent years before the 7th grade.

The one point that gives me pause for concern is the financial aid. Why are football players given financial aid at an exponentially higher level then the general student population ? if aid was consistent across the board then yes, that and the 7th grade point would kill the "they recruit" argument. On one hand you have your point, looks bad for the people claiming recruiting foul. On the other hand the financial aid point pumps up the recruiting point.

on the 7th grade note...for the most part...you cant tell who is going to be a super star in the 7th grade. I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but most of the time the kids that are good at younger ages, its because they matured early, and once they get to high school, everyone has caught up with them and then passes them.

on the financial aid side, I cannot answer that. When I saw the number that was posted, immediately thought that was a tad bit high. But again, I have no knowledge about the financial aid part, wish I did, but dont...my son's tuition has 0 to do with financial aid.

I know I have said it before...but would like to see on the public school side the numbers of kids playing sports that don't live in the boundary lines for the school they attend or how many have been in multiple schools in consecutive years...you would probably find that is a bigger issue than private schools.

JessieP

February 27, 2017, 05:27:26 pm #67 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:59:56 pm by JessieP
Quote from: STBruin on February 27, 2017, 02:35:30 pm
on the 7th grade note...for the most part...you cant tell who is going to be a super star in the 7th grade. I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but most of the time the kids that are good at younger ages, its because they matured early, and once they get to high school, everyone has caught up with them and then passes them.

on the financial aid side, I cannot answer that. When I saw the number that was posted, immediately thought that was a tad bit high. But again, I have no knowledge about the financial aid part, wish I did, but dont...my son's tuition has 0 to do with financial aid.

I know I have said it before...but would like to see on the public school side the numbers of kids playing sports that don't live in the boundary lines for the school they attend or how many have been in multiple schools in consecutive years...you would probably find that is a bigger issue than private schools.

You make valid points. I am not being accusatory, simply curious. I cannot dispute your points, yes a lot of kids appear destined to stardom in the 4th grade but seem to have peaked at that age. A lot of big kids are awkward and clumsy young then when their coordination catches up they blossom. We've all seen the big lanky 6th grader who walked like Frankenstein and was ridiculed. When he hits 16 or 17 he starts extracting revenge on those who mocked, lol.

And to be fair to PA you must compare apples to apples. If they are playing outside their boundaries foe a public school it's just as wrong. The way I understand the rule in Arkansas it say's you can transfer if the school district where you live doesn't offer the sport you wish to participate in. For instance if someone lived in a little one horse town that didn't field a football team he could transfer to the closest school that did.

STBruin

School of choice does away with that...and there is no way to police it...

RZback

So don't private schools exist by recruiting students to go there?
The participation rate in athletics at private schools tends to be substantially higher than among public schools.  I believe this to be because parents of means send their children to those schools for numerous reasons including the athletic opportunities created by, choice student/athletes.  Why are they choice athletes?  Parental support for participation, parents being active in their students academic success, holding their child to a more demanding level of self discipline.  Better students, better work ethic, more support and guidance at home are reflected in the amount of time and effort put forth as well as understanding key elements of the schemes on the field. 
I'm not saying this is wrong, but it is what it is as they say. 
Take away scholarships, and some of this will fade.
Enforce a strict "school district" and you will loose some students. 
Public schools cannot reject students in their district, private schools can accept students from outside  the local area. Some stark contrast.

Grond

Quote from: RZback on February 27, 2017, 08:29:48 pm
So don't private schools exist by recruiting students to go there?
The participation rate in athletics at private schools tends to be substantially higher than among public schools.  I believe this to be because parents of means send their children to those schools for numerous reasons including the athletic opportunities created by, choice student/athletes.  Why are they choice athletes?  Parental support for participation, parents being active in their students academic success, holding their child to a more demanding level of self discipline.  Better students, better work ethic, more support and guidance at home are reflected in the amount of time and effort put forth as well as understanding key elements of the schemes on the field. 
I'm not saying this is wrong, but it is what it is as they say. 
Take away scholarships, and some of this will fade.
Enforce a strict "school district" and you will loose some students. 
Public schools cannot reject students in their district, private schools can accept students from outside  the local area. Some stark contrast.

You made a good point. Even though I tend to defend PA football (because of what I see of them on the field), the fact is that no Arkansas team has beat them in 3 years (or more).

I would like to see them move up to 6A.

RZback

What is the current AAA rule regarding the size of the "district" from which private schools can recruit their players.  Wasn't it 25 miles at one time?

JessieP

Grond and RZback, great points. I think a fair solution, one that I feel is coming with the States takeover of the AAA, would be to do away with financial aid students being ineligible for athletic competition. Either that or have a separate private school division. Absolutely it is every parents prerogative to obtain the best possible education for their child, the best possible education does not include athletic competition. They are called "extra curricular" for a reason. Until that point there will always be a "they recruit" issue. High school athletics should be a level playing field. Teams that offer financial aid for athletes will always have a asterisk attached to their records. I take nothing away from PA's achievements or the job the coaching staff has done. It's just that the preponderance of evidence is starting to suggest that there is a financially gained advantage. That is simply unfair to the public schools that must play the hand they were dealt.

RZback

Quote from: JessieP on February 27, 2017, 09:11:25 pm
I think a fair solution, one that I feel is coming with the States takeover of the AAA, would be to do away with financial aid students being ineligible for athletic competition.Either that or have a separate private school division.

Are you sure this is what you meant.   You mean they should not be eligible?

This is what some states do.  They can play non-conference games, but they don't play in the same conference and they play a separate state tournament.  It's hard to argue with the fairness of this system.

Yellowcake

It is so refreshing to see a long thread talking about how to beat PA instead of a bunch of "they cheat" and "kick em out" posts. How to beat them is the discussion that needs to be had.

Hope no one figures it out!

Don't mean to beat a dead horse. But coach Kelly and his staff Are the absolute best at what they do. To beat them, you have to outcoach them and execute the plan perfectly.

In my humble opinion.

nuttinbuthogs

How many PA fb players have been offered scholarships from this past season?

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on February 27, 2017, 09:56:26 pm
It is so refreshing to see a long thread talking about how to beat PA instead of a bunch of "they cheat" and "kick em out" posts. How to beat them is the discussion that needs to be had.

Hope no one figures it out!

Don't mean to beat a dead horse. But coach Kelly and his staff Are the absolute best at what they do. To beat them, you have to outcoach them and execute the plan perfectly.

In my humble opinion.

Yellowcake I do understand how frustrating it must be to see so many threads turn negative about PA, I think a lot of it is undeserved. But you are not being totally objective. The argument about financial aid and monetary advantages has merit. Like I said earlier, my view on the subject has evolved given the information I have seen. It's not fair to say "just beat us" when most the schools they play start the game with distinct disadvantages. I agree that it's unfair to label them cheaters, they are not. But they have put themselves in a position to employee advantages other teams can not.

I hoping your last statement was one out of frustration from reading what you perceive as put downs and not a literal proclamation. Coach Kelly and his staff are great coaches, that is never been disputed. They have built an impressive program with well coached players and brilliant game plans. To say they are the BEST at what they do is a bit much. PA is very rarely considered the best overall team in Arkansas. In the 5A, yes. The overall best ? maybe once in the past 10 years. And if you were talking literally, the best high school football coaches ? on a National level not even close. Not even in the top 100. They are good, even great, but let's keep it in perspective. The best at what they do ? in the 5A in the state of Arkansas over the past 3 years, yes they are. Other then that, no they are not. You may want to walk back the superlatives a bit.

Yellowcake

Fair enough Jesisie. I certainly believe they are the best in 5A. I think they can make a good case for being the best in the state. But we are talking opinions. That's mine and I respect and honor anyone who disagrees.

It's like people who talk about what fish are thinking and the best way to catch them. Because until fish talk, it's all theory. :)

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on February 28, 2017, 12:10:40 am
Fair enough Jesisie. I certainly believe they are the best in 5A. I think they can make a good case for being the best in the state. But we are talking opinions. That's mine and I respect and honor anyone who disagrees.

It's like people who talk about what fish are thinking and the best way to catch them. Because until fish talk, it's all theory. :)

We are on the same page there. I have said over and over again until someone produces proof it's all internet gossip. Having a distinct advantage is not cheating. If the public/private situations are unfair, I think they are, then change the rule. PA is simple using every advantage available to them, WITHIN THE RULES.

Let's be very clear about this, if the rules were to change to level the playing field PA would still compete for a State Championship every year. They are a well coached team. The only difference would be the final 4 teams left every year would be a toss up. They wouldn't lose their position at the top, they would simply have to fight harder for it. Knowing what we do about Kelly and getting to know Coach Taylor, we know they are both honorable stand up guys. As fierce competitors they should want this as well.

RZback

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: JessieP on February 28, 2017, 08:44:20 am
We are on the same page there. I have said over and over again until someone produces proof it's all internet gossip. Having a distinct advantage is not cheating. If the public/private situations are unfair, I think they are, then change the rule. PA is simple using every advantage available to them, WITHIN THE RULES.

Let's be very clear about this, if the rules were to change to level the playing field PA would still compete for a State Championship every year. They are a well coached team. The only difference would be the final 4 teams left every year would be a toss up. They wouldn't lose their position at the top, they would simply have to fight harder for it. Knowing what we do about Kelly and getting to know Coach Taylor, we know they are both honorable stand up guys. As fierce competitors they should want this as well.

You can only guess what the outcome of changing the rules would be.  I call attention to the decline of the domination of Shiloh Christian.  In the last 8-10 years some AAA rule changes caused a lessening of the overall dominance of the program. 

Made

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on March 02, 2017, 12:05:20 am
You can only guess what the outcome of changing the rules would be.  I call attention to the decline of the domination of Shiloh Christian.  In the last 8-10 years some AAA rule changes caused a lessening of the overall dominance of the program. 
That's because they were recruiting after 7th grade so the kids would have to sit out 365, should take a page out of PA's play book and bring them in for 7th grade ;)

FD4

Whether parents of students are invited to enroll their children into PA or not, the fact remains, PA builds up their athletes to a point of near perfection at execution.  I feel there is an advantage at getting players of any sport you pick with very high IQ and very strong discipline at home does not hurt either.  The way you practice will determine how you play.  Once I noticed at Walnut Corner, Coach Frank had the entire football field surrounded with tarps on the fence so you could not see his practice from parking lot across the street.  He was one of the best at getting an offense ready for your defense and vise versa.  Practice makes perfect as the saying goes.  CK and crew are very good at this.  Factor in quality athletes and you have a formula for success.  PA will lose against home town teams in the future, that is the nature of things.  I hope Wynne is in on the delivery end of that.  If not then you all you can ask of your players is to give it all they have on every down.  We would all like to say PA recruits, but that is just another excuse for getting beat.  Great thread guys.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Made on March 02, 2017, 09:29:03 am
That's because they were recruiting after 7th grade so the kids would have to sit out 365, should take a page out of PA's play book and bring them in for 7th grade ;)
Or pre-school, because that's when the majority of the all-state players on this team arrived.

FD4

Next thing you know, someone will say during the sonogram,  Like that Dorito kid, gotta be a receiver with those moves!

Made

Quote from: FD4 on March 07, 2017, 11:48:04 am
Next thing you know, someone will say during the sonogram,  Like that Dorito kid, gotta be a receiver with those moves!
That takes a special skill very few possess

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: JessieP on February 22, 2017, 11:54:39 pm
If you went for a hot dog right after the kick-off at the Championship, when you returned to your seat it was 20-0. That kind of domination isn't because of fumbles or onside kicks. It's because they are head and shoulders above the rest.

I think the first 3 possessions by Wynne were fumbles.  You cannot win like that. 

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: JessieP on February 28, 2017, 08:44:20 am
If the public/private situations are unfair, I think they are, then change the rule. PA is simple using every advantage available to them, WITHIN THE RULES.

Arkansas will never go to a private only league.  Private schools mean money, money means influence.  The private schools that do well in athletics do not want to play only private schools and they will use their influence to make sure it never happens.

DuckyDon

These kids and coaches arent super heroes...you beat them like you beat any spread offense. Sound, fundamental defense, contain the RB, pressure the QB. Look at the 2nd half of the McClellan game...they took a 2 time all state QB and made him look like a bad jr high qb...throwing the ball of his back foot and staring at the OL/DL instead of making his reads..but in the end came up 6 inches short when the PA safety chased down the McClellan RB....who had a wide open sideline for a TD.

FD4

Defensive Genius Buddy Ryan proved two things with his perfected 46 defense in 1985 with the Chicago Bears.  Hands down the best defensive professional football team in history.  Mean, nasty, talented, and were ready to play every down like it was the last down in their life.  One, when you attack from you never know where on every down, you will crush your opponent in the long run, unless, Two, the offense you have faced all season is replaced with just as talented players as you have, and they run an offense you have not seen all season.  The spread is a thing of beauty, but to beat the spread, it's not really a matter of score for score, but something that offense has not seen all season.  The 46 is absolutely the best at stopping a two back backfield, and can handle a good passing game.  The one back spread is a bit different.  But even at that, I attack you on every snap of the ball with 7 guys.  Sooner or later that will take its toll on anybody.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas