• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville Open (filled - Billy Dawson)

Started by Brian G, January 04, 2017, 06:46:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

jking7

Well can't say I saw this coming..

AllStarSportsFan

Jeff Holt at Russellville is now in charge of testing or something like that.  He always liked NWA.

Wonderdog

1 year, 1 championship, and gone? Owasso High must be a nice job.

Rob Van Winkle

Well the talent level in Fayetteville really drops off after this senior class. I don't mean a little, I mean off the side of a cliff. So can't blame him at all for getting an opportunity to get closer to family. Whoever gets the FV job will have their work cut out for them.

Razorback Red

Makes sense for Blankenship, at his age being close to grandkids is important.  Owasso is a nice job, but so it Fville.  I think this was about family.

As for FHS, maybe a slight drop off in talent, but still the best job in Arkansas and should win a title at least every 3 years. 

I'm guessing Z Clark will be a hot topic, but I would go after someone more proven.  Jamie Mitchell would be my top pick, and I would also look at Rick Jones and KKelley (about time for him to test his system at a large public school).  I also think a dark horse should be BPratt from West.  His system fits FHS perfectly and he worked wonders in 1 year at a new HS. 

At least this gives us something to talk about during the offseason. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Razorback Red on January 04, 2017, 07:46:04 pm
Makes sense for Blankenship, at his age being close to grandkids is important.  Owasso is a nice job, but so it Fville.  I think this was about family.

Is it possible he is retiring from Arkansas (drawing teacher retirement) and crossing the border to add to his income for a few years? 

Note for those who may not be aware: this is a common practice.   

beach bum

I knew he wouldn't be here long.... When something doesn't make a whole lot of sense it usually doesn't last long. Fayetteville should take the coach that sits about 1/2 mile to the north. They will know they will finish 7-5 that way every year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2017, 08:00:59 pm
Is it possible he is retiring from Arkansas (drawing teacher retirement) and crossing the border to add to his income for a few years? 

He was originally from Oklahoma though? (note: I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not)

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2017, 08:00:59 pm

Are you fully vested in the ATRS in 6 months, wasn't he hired in the summer after Patton did his thing?

sportsguy80

Quote from: Razorback Red on January 04, 2017, 07:46:04 pm

As for FHS, maybe a slight drop off in talent, but still the best job in Arkansas and should win a title at least every 3 years. 

I'm guessing Z Clark will be a hot topic, but I would go after someone more proven.  Jamie Mitchell would be my top pick, and I would also look at Rick Jones and KKelley (about time for him to test his system at a large public school).  I also think a dark horse should be BPratt from West.  His system fits FHS perfectly and he worked wonders in 1 year at a new HS. 

At least this gives us something to talk about during the offseason.
Yup

Baitshop

DixiePrep is reporting that Rick Jones takes a cut in pay to take over a new set of Bulldogs. Reportedly, he is gonna try to "Keep Fayetteville Funky" AND look good in Lavender.

DogsandHogs

Oh Bait! ;)
Can't blame Blankenship for wanting to be closer to home. Will be interesting to see who applies.

Oldbadger

Arkansas requires three years to fully vest in retirement.  If he hasn't worked in Arkansas before I doubt that was his motive.  As a grandfather,  not much is as important as family and grandkids.  I really believe his reasons were exactly what he says.  Arkansas, however, pays, overall, a much better salary than Oklahoma, so his initial motive could have been to work until retirement here, then move back. 

Beaver Fever

Did he not realize Fayetteville wasn't close to home when he took it?

southarkdaddy

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 09:08:22 pm
Are you fully vested in the ATRS in 6 months, wasn't he hired in the summer after Patton did his thing?
If his little stint at Fayetteville gets him benefits from the ATRS then that system is in big, big trouble.  It's bad enough you have teachers retiring with full benefits at 52 years old.

Maclin on your girl

RV coach would be a great hire.

Baitshop

Maclin on your girl

rzrbacks123

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2017, 09:23:09 am
If his little stint at Fayetteville gets him benefits from the ATRS then that system is in big, big trouble.  It's bad enough you have teachers retiring with full benefits at 52 years old.
Why is that such a bad thing for him or the educators that are allowed to retire?  I think most people believe that educators play a huge role in the development of our state's future.

Idoknow

Quote from: Oldbadger on January 05, 2017, 08:29:40 am
Arkansas requires three years to fully vest in retirement.  If he hasn't worked in Arkansas before I doubt that was his motive.  As a grandfather,  not much is as important as family and grandkids.  I really believe his reasons were exactly what he says.  Arkansas, however, pays, overall, a much better salary than Oklahoma, so his initial motive could have been to work until retirement here, then move back.
ATRS requires 5 yrs. and age of 60 to receive any retirement benefits.It used to be 10yrs. and the retirement pay would be very minimal after 5 yrs.

ricepig

Quote from: Baitshop on January 05, 2017, 10:47:28 am
Who's RV..?

Guy down by the river, not really an RV, more like a trailer.........

Pat Swilling

Oldbadger

It does take five years to fully vest in ATRS.  Been awhile since  I retired! Lol

Brian G

Going to be a fun hire.  With the sudden change last Spring and Blankenship's short tenure, this will be FHS's 3rd HC in 9 months.

Lot's of time to decide though.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: rzrbacks123 on January 05, 2017, 11:23:21 am
Why is that such a bad thing for him or the educators that are allowed to retire?  I think most people believe that educators play a huge role in the development of our state's future.
A good retirement package is great.  A retirement system that allows people to retire at 52 with full benefits that could run 30-40 years is unsustainable.  And a year working in the state shouldn't get you any kind of vesting.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Idoknow on January 05, 2017, 11:45:00 am
ATRS requires 5 yrs. and age of 60 to receive any retirement benefits.It used to be 10yrs. and the retirement pay would be very minimal after 5 yrs.
I'm pretty sure 30 years of continuous service in state gets full benefits.  Which means someone who went to work in Arkansas at 22 can retire at 52.

Rob Van Winkle

Clark will certainly be in the discussion. Dawson as well. Cannot see Pratt leaving BVW. He's put a lot of work in there and knows he has a chance to be better than FV within the next couple of years. I heard last year there was a strong push for an internal hire at FV after Patton left.

There won't be a shortage of qualified applicants that's for sure. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to make a decision.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2017, 01:21:07 pm
I'm pretty sure 30 years of continuous service in state gets full benefits.  Which means someone who went to work in Arkansas at 22 can retire at 52.

28 years is considered full retirement working for the state actually so most if they go to work at 22 could retire at 50 but most arent willing/able to retire that early

purpleswag

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2017, 01:19:55 pm
A good retirement package is great.  A retirement system that allows people to retire at 52 with full benefits that could run 30-40 years is unsustainable.  And a year working in the state shouldn't get you any kind of vesting.

Works for the police and firemen

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2017, 01:19:55 pm

As long as the assets are managed correctly its all good.  Its all public knowledge and you can go online and see what they invest the assets in to create the return needed to supply the income payments.  Currently it works much better than social security!!!!! Now, if there is any mis management of the monies then look out!

DogsandHogs

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 05, 2017, 01:46:28 pm
As long as the assets are managed correctly its all good.  Its all public knowledge and you can go online and see what they invest the assets in to create the return needed to supply the income payments.  Currently it works much better than social security!!!!! Now, if there is any mis management of the monies then look out!
You guys aren't keeping up with the stories about state and municipal retirement funds going broke are you?

AirWarren

sevenof400

If they have worked the requisite number of years, why is this a problem?  They've earned it. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 05, 2017, 04:41:27 pm
If they have worked the requisite number of years, why is this a problem?  They've earned it. 

One of my favorite teachers retired this past year at 52 or 53 for health reasons and actually felt bad about doing it. ...

beach bum

Jealousy? I am fine with that..... Teachers in this country aren't paid even close what other economically powerful nations pay their educators. Education is the back bone of any society looking forward to be strong for the future. There are plenty of other examples of wasteful spending with our taxes, but education is not an area where we should ever be complaining about pumping money in to. I want talented people leading our children on a daily basis and these benefits are a way to attract qualified people when the pay isn't up to par.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on January 05, 2017, 04:25:39 pm
Patton back to Fay?

Haha, turn the world upside down and go one further. Bring in Bobby P at the same time right up the street.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 05, 2017, 01:34:18 pm
Clark will certainly be in the discussion. Dawson as well. Cannot see Pratt leaving BVW. He's put a lot of work in there and knows he has a chance to be better than FV within the next couple of years. I heard last year there was a strong push for an internal hire at FV after Patton left.

There won't be a shortage of qualified applicants that's for sure. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to make a decision.

I like your optimism regarding BWHS, but prob should put the brakes on a bit.  Yes, they will be better next year and prob even better the following year, but gonna take some time to get to the top of the conf. 

I do agree that FHS will have a qualified list of candidates to choose from. 

bbishop

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 05, 2017, 04:44:18 pm
One of my favorite teachers retired this past year at 52 or 53 for health reasons and actually felt bad about doing it. ...
i use to work for ATRS.  when i left in 2012 the rules were:
5 yrs to vest
10 for full retirement
full retirement at 60 yrs of age or 28 yrs of service.

there is disability retirement that must be presented to a medical board.

all he could get from the system is what he paid in.

the system is very stable (i still see updates from time to time.  just follow the director in twitter) 

way2go

The teacher retirement system is very stable and well run, which is why the state employees retirement and legislature are always trying to get their hands on it. They're always wanting to "merge."

Coach Venny Slocombe

Oh man, I would love to see Kevin Kelly in Fayetteville...that would be epic... ;D

Iknewthemwhen

Less than a year in the job and moving back to OK?  Family was that important then why come?  More to that I think.   Lots of possibles in the mix.  I'd think Dawson would be high on anybodies list.  Success everywhere he has been and always a quick turnaround.  Clark, not proven in his short time at SD.  Pratt, really after one year?  I don't think that will happen. Kelly, not likely to leave PA, Jones, maybe but he would have to implement an entirely different system that takes a little time. May be happy to stay where he is.  Mitchell maybe, good success last season but he did lose badly to FV in the championship and most guys don't hire people they beat.  Will be interesting to see.  Any chance they go with a staff member.  Oh, and I doubt Blankenship has any retirement from AR.

Pat Swilling

My prediction is:

Benji Mahan
Billy Dawson
Zak Clark
Jamie Mitchell - (Longshot)

Rob Van Winkle

BG have you heard anything as far as a timeline for hiring someone?

nsuqb10

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2017, 03:47:27 pm
You guys aren't keeping up with the stories about state and municipal retirement funds going broke are you?

Very much so actually.  It all has to do with mismanagement.  That's why I said if the monies are managed correctly.

Brian G

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 06, 2017, 09:40:56 am
BG have you heard anything as far as a timeline for hiring someone?
Nope.

I don't think there is an urgency though.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 06, 2017, 11:52:37 am
Very much so actually.  It all has to do with mismanagement.  That's why I said if the monies are managed correctly.
I apologize I took this thread way off track with the off hand comment about the retirement system.  I will leave it at this.  The problem we face with retirement systems, all the way from Social Security to the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System, is not "management".  It's too many retirees, who are living a lot longer, and who have been promised very generous retirement benefits,  in comparison to the # of people still working. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas