• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

beach bum

How dumb can that corner be to run with his hand inside the shoulder pads of the WR the whole play? I know that was nit picky, but if you are that blatantly stupid to make it that obvious he deserved it.

bleudog

That whistle on the not-out-of-bounds play ended up being huge.

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on September 23, 2017, 02:45:48 pm
That whistle on the not-out-of-bounds played ended up being huge.

We would have already lost...

bdubyab60

That wasn't close to open

beach bum

South Carolina in 2 weeks will determine if it's even possible to make it to a bowl game at 6-6 and we would have to beat Ole Miss and Mizzou after that.... And people might laugh at me, but we better not have a hangover against New Mexico State next week. They can put up points and are 1-2 with their 2 losses being by 3 and 6 points to Arizona State and Troy who went 10-3 last year. I am not saying we will lose, but they better not have an OT loss hangover. New Mexico State is just good enough to punish us.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on September 23, 2017, 02:45:37 pm
How dumb can that corner be to run with his hand inside the shoulder pads of the WR the whole play? I know that was nit picky, but if you are that blatantly stupid to make it that obvious he deserved it.
Yeah I know but I'm a Hog fan. Just seems to happen every darn time

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on September 23, 2017, 02:57:02 pm
South Carolina in 2 weeks will determine if it's even possible to make it to a bowl game at 6-6 and we would have to beat Ole Miss and Mizzou after that.... And people might laugh at me, but we better not have a hangover against New Mexico State next week. They can put up points and are 1-2 with their 2 losses being by 3 and 6 points to Arizona State and Troy who went 10-3 last year. I am not saying we will lose, but they better not have an OT loss hangover. New Mexico State is just good enough to punish us.
We have no gimmes the rest of the way.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 23, 2017, 02:57:15 pm
Yeah I know but I'm a Hog fan. Just seems to happen every darn time

Definitely just a true freshman mistake. He should have did that to get a feel for the WR and get body to body on him, but should have let go after that.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 23, 2017, 02:58:58 pm
We have no gimmes the rest of the way.

I think that New Mexico State is actually slighter better than Coastal Carolina and Missouri as crazy as that sounds.

VHSCoach2

At least Bobby Petrino could beat Texas A&M.

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on September 23, 2017, 03:05:30 pm
At least Bobby Petrino could beat Texas A&M.

Sumlin is 5-0 against BB and Sumlin will be gone after the season and BB will still be here cause of Jeff Long's stupidity..... It's truly amazing to think about how unlucky Sumlin is and how lucky BB is.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on September 23, 2017, 03:00:01 pm
I think that New Mexico State is actually slighter better than Coastal Carolina and Missouri as crazy as that sounds.
The way we have played against Missouri I wouldn't consider it a gimme. Coastal Carolina sure. Unfortunately could be looking at a 3 win season.

Did see a little improvement but is that because of who we were playing or because we improved slightly. I'm on the fence about it

Romeo

Bret Bielema's buyout is $15.4 million.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on September 23, 2017, 03:20:21 pm

That is straight robbery... Most coach friendly contract in the US for someone who hasn't won anything.

LRRandy

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 23, 2017, 03:08:43 pm
The way we have played against Missouri I wouldn't consider it a gimme. Coastal Carolina sure. Unfortunately could be looking at a 3 win season.

Did see a little improvement but is that because of who we were playing or because we improved slightly. I'm on the fence about it
there was improvement. Coaches tried to mix it up (Kelly diesel package) and the players played harder. Allen throwing into triple coverage is not on the coaches. That said. I was wrong about today. Time for him to go.

bdubyab60

Quote from: LRRandy on September 23, 2017, 03:32:48 pm
there was improvement. Coaches tried to mix it up (Kelly diesel package) and the players played harder. Allen throwing into triple coverage is not on the coaches. That said. I was wrong about today. Time for him to go.
To me to even put him in the position to make that throw at the time is a mistake. My opinion is you play for the first down there and get 4 more tries. But yes AA has to make a better decision there. Unfortunate that the TE didn't get his foot down a few plays before.

If we had scored I was all for going for two.

But I think it's time for CB to hit the road. We could do just as good with on up and comer. Gonna be a long year.

Updated prediction for me is 4-8. We are already losing commitments off our 42nd ranked recruiting class

bdubyab60

The refs got another thing wrong. On the PF/targeting they basically picked up the flag. In the OSU/TCU game they just had the happen. They called off the targeting foul but said PF must be enforced

bleudog

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 23, 2017, 03:40:22 pm
To me to even put him in the position to make that throw at the time is a mistake. My opinion is you play for the first down there and get 4 more tries. But yes AA has to make a better decision there. Unfortunate that the TE didn't get his foot down a few plays before.

If we had scored I was all for going for two.

But I think it's time for CB to hit the road. We could do just as good with on up and comer. Gonna be a long year.

Updated prediction for me is 4-8. We are already losing commitments off our 42nd ranked recruiting class

I can't believe I am predicting this, but I still think we get to 5-7.... With so many bowl games we have such a good APR that we will make a bowl game if we get to 5-7 and then play a MAC school or Sun Belt school in a bowl game. I'd rather go 4-8 then be embarrassed to play in a bowl game against Kent State.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nastynice on September 23, 2017, 01:28:13 pm
Bert's been famous at that since Day 1. Unacceptable at this level.

Heck that's not acceptable in junior high....

bigworm

Quote from: Romeo on September 23, 2017, 03:20:21 pm

I will throw in the first 10 dollars!!

AirWarren

LRRandy

Quote from: bigworm on September 23, 2017, 06:32:07 pm
I will throw in the first 10 dollars!!
not me, I'm sick that he has received too many of my tax dollars as it is. Yes, I know the you satin pays a lot of his salary. He is a state employee though and has reviewed our tax dollars in some amount

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on September 23, 2017, 09:01:56 pm
not me, I'm sick that he has received too many of my tax dollars as it is. Yes, I know the you satin pays a lot of his salary. He is a state employee though and has reviewed our tax dollars in some amount

That is actually sad to think about and that his buyout would be more than we all will make in our entire lives unless there are some lucky few on here making 250K per year for their entire life.

RZback

Does anyone know how much university tax dollars go to Bielema's salary.  I was told he was paid totally with athletic funds and or money from the Razorback Foundation?  Is this legit?

nastynice

Only thing worse for a fan base than a great coach leaving early is a poor one staying too long.

beach bum

Quote from: nastynice on September 24, 2017, 04:54:49 pm
Only thing worse for a fan base than a great coach leaving early is a poor one staying too long.

Bingo.... The longer he stays the worse it sets our program back.

beach bum

September 24, 2017, 05:01:28 pm #728 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:08:05 pm by beach bum
Quote from: RZback on September 24, 2017, 04:10:33 pm
Does anyone know how much university tax dollars go to Bielema's salary.  I was told he was paid totally with athletic funds and or money from the Razorback Foundation?  Is this legit?

Then let him go.... Let the one percenter's money pay for his buyout then. I am sure at least 75% of that money comes from the Walton's, Lindsey's, and some from Jerry Jones money anyway. They could give that much money away and not remember in 3 days. Lindsey Management should be considered a Ponzi scheme how unfairly they run their housing properties and apartments also so I think it's fair we get some of that money back lol.

RZback

WEW!! I guess you don't like Lindsey. 
Anyway, I'm of the opinion that we make a huge mistake in giving him a raise and a contract extension for a 6-6 season and a bowl game.  He has not been very good, look at our SEC record.  Maybe he should recruit better, coach better, hire better assistants and not worry about telling folks how to cook. 
He makes too much for too little.  4.25 million a year is what he is averaging, for?   We need a great recruiter who can evaluate and get great players to sign with UA.  One who can get great assistants who will hang around and can get us out of the top of the bottom of the back.

WPWells

I lived in a Lindsey apartment and had no problems

bdubyab60

At the time of the extension we were showing improvement. However the buyout that came with that is ridiculous for what we are getting. Just about every coach in the SEC is making the money we are paying. We have to pay that if we are going to get a good coach. Unfortunately we aren't getting the ROI for that pay.

I'd be interested to know the finances of how it would work if we bought him out. As in what we would actually be able to pay our next coach, if it happens. How long are we on the hook for the buyout and so on.

How much we can afford would lend in to the type of coach that we would have to hire

beach bum

Bring on Mike Leach.... He is 56 years old. I think if he was 2 or 3 years older that may scare away some people. He easily has 11 or 12 years left in him how quirky that dude is. If he can win in Pullman, WA then he can win in Fayetteville.

RZback

Leach would be ok with me but I'm sure there are a number of quality coaches that would come to UA if they pay what they pay we pay BB.  We need a complete overhaul in coaches and philosophy.  Reach outside the state for more top talent.

bdubyab60

Leach overall, at WSU, looks mediocre at 33-34 overall. However over the past two year and the start of this one 9-4, 8-5 and 4-0. I think that qualifies as building a program. Pretty WSU hadn't won very much until he got there. CBB making 1.25 mil more than him.

Redwolves8526

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 24, 2017, 08:57:20 pm
Leach overall, at WSU, looks mediocre at 33-34 overall. However over the past two year and the start of this one 9-4, 8-5 and 4-0. I think that qualifies as building a program. Pretty WSU hadn't won very much until he got there. CBB making 1.25 mil more than him.

And I don't think we'd hear much about how boring his offense is....

WPWells

cuckoobird

What about the Memphis coach?

nastynice

What has Bert ever done to deserve an SEC job?  He went to what, 3 rose bowls with someone else's players?  Lost all three. Never got back to a rosebowl with his own recruits.....Lost almost every close game we've had here at UA.....Never makes positive half time adjustments......Can't hold on to any lead.....Walk ons starting on the line means one thing, you're a lousy judge of talent......Time to move on and wear a 5x sweat shirt with some other mascot on it!

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 25, 2017, 08:28:53 pm
What about the Memphis coach?

Everywhere he has been they have had good offenses...after this year or next he will land at a power 5 school HC

bigworm

There are lots of good cosches out there. PJ Fleck would probably be my first choice. But i personally wouldnt be opposed to finding a top level coach from the juco or D2 level. I mean a multi national champ coach from those levels. The way i see it is of they can dominate at that level they should be able to do a good job at the next. It would seem they are getting the best talent possible and developing it if they are winnin titles.

cuckoobird

I've never really believed the excuse that you can't recruit Fayetteville, but, if it's true maybe they need to hire Kevin Kelly. His system is built to overcome those types of odds. Plus, you could probably pay him $1 million a year and make the rest of his salary performance-based and he would take it! He could always get a high school job again if you wanted to and if it didn't work out you could just let him go. He can't hurt the program any worse than Bert has

High Voltage

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 26, 2017, 07:02:07 am
I've never really believed the excuse that you can't recruit Fayetteville, but, if it's true maybe they need to hire Kevin Kelly. His system is built to overcome those types of odds. Plus, you could probably pay him $1 million a year and make the rest of his salary performance-based and he would take it! He could always get a high school job again if you wanted to and if it didn't work out you could just let him go. He can't hurt the program any worse than Bert has
I would like to see this for many reasons.

RZback

Mike Norvell at Memphis would be excellent, younger guy, runs a good program, keeps order and is a heck of a coach and a little bit of a risk taker.  Very good guy.
I think recruiting is a problem and we have to get better talent.  I've got nothing against home grown but only if its the best we can get and right now we need to be getting better.

nuttinbuthogs

It really looks like we need a change.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: High Voltage on September 26, 2017, 08:22:58 am
I would like to see this for many reasons.
Which are?     

Arkansas needs a special teams coach, that's evident to all.  I don't know the solution but my opinion is leaning more towards that Coach B simply can't get it done.   He has already been thru 2 Defensive Coordinators...idk....but hoping they win this week by a lot.

bleudog

Sat  2017-09-30
New Mexico St
87 %
   41   24

Sat  2017-10-07
at   South Carolina
50 %
   27   28   

Sat  2017-10-14
at   Alabama
2 %
   13   44   

Sat  2017-10-21
Auburn
26 %
   21   30   

Sat  2017-10-28
at   Mississippi
41 %
   34   37   

Sat  2017-11-04
Coastal Car
93 %
   42   20   

Sat  2017-11-11
at   LSU
20 %
   21   33   

Sat  2017-11-18
Mississippi St
38 %
   30   34   

Fri  2017-11-24
Missouri
80 %
   42   30   

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=316&s=295489

gameoflife

The tide is turning against BB.  He really needs to right the ship or abandon it.

WPWells

"Arkansas needs a special teams coach"

Really? Is that the conclusion you've reached this season?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas